Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,012 members, 7,810,804 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? (2312 Views)

As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language / I Want My Son To Be A Programmer, How Do I Go About It / Dear Python Programmer, How Do You Implement Interfaces, Abstract Classes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by nikky5(m): 6:09pm On Jul 31, 2022
I have been wondering how Nigerian programmers are fairing in this economy.

In 2010 and 2013, I used to get lots of website jobs. I even became a property owner with one of the projects here in Lagos. God be glorified.

Today, the story has changed. I am glad that I have other means of income.

So, for the full time programmer, how are you coping under this economic situation in Nigeria.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by doggedfighter(f): 6:56pm On Jul 31, 2022
Are you really into coding?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 31, 2022
You dislike peter Obi

You don't deserve a reply

You're useless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by nikky5(m): 7:15pm On Jul 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You dislike peter Obi

You're useless

That was before. I am OBIdent now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by pocohantas(f): 7:37pm On Jul 31, 2022
doggedfighter:

Hehe. Why this question?
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:41pm On Jul 31, 2022
It really depends. I feel this is actually the best time to be a Nigerian programmer. As of 2010 to 2013 when you were getting contracts, remote work was completely impossible for a Nigerian. It's not that things are easier now though but they are a lot more better off and a lot of companies aren't that stoic on hiring people outside their countries. That was impossible in 2010.

If you are a freelancer whose major clients are Nigerians of course you would struggle. If you were a programmer working with a fast growing product based company home or abroad. I don't think things are that bad.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by TastyFriedPussy: 7:43pm On Jul 31, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
It really depends. I feel this is actually the best time to be a Nigerian programmer. As of 2010 to 2013 when you were getting contracts, remote work was completely impossible for a Nigerian. It's not that things are easier now though but they are a lot more better off and a lot of companies aren't that stoic on hiring people outside their countries. That was impossible in 2010.

If you are a freelancer whose major clients are Nigerians of course you would struggle. If you were a programmer working with a fast growing product based company home or abroad. I don't think things are that bad.
boss, you suppose don buy motto naa

kiss

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:46pm On Jul 31, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
boss, you suppose don buy motto naa

kiss

What do I wanna use it for. I don't go anywhere.

5 Likes

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:47pm On Jul 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You dislike peter Obi

You're useless

How can anyone dislike peter obi, once that Chicago druglord becomes president the present suffering will be like paradise. If Nigerians like make they no get sense

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by silento(m): 7:51pm On Jul 31, 2022
Selling of template and script na their money dey die
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by doggedfighter(f): 8:26pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Hehe. Why this question?

Everyone is claiming being a programmer so I needed to confirm having read what he wrote up there.

Besides all the programmers I know are doing quite okay at this time.

Website designers are always too quick to call themselves programmers grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by pocohantas(f): 8:35pm On Jul 31, 2022
doggedfighter:

Everyone is claiming being a programmer so I needed to confirm having read what he wrote up there.

Na them like the title pass. Doing drag and drop upandan. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Anyway, it is not all that are doing well. I know one that had a good run in the past, but now it is hard and he is not just a web developer. I have told him to find foreign clients because he deals with Naija clients most.

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by doggedfighter(f): 8:39pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Na them like the title pass. Doing drag and drop upandan. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Anyway, it is not all that are doing well. I know one that had a good run in the past, but now it is hard and he is not just a web developer. I have told him to find foreign clients because he deals with Naija clients most.

The ones I know are remote workers and they're smiling.

Working for Naija clients will drain you and leave you dry .

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 8:48pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Hehe. Why this question?

Software engineers are the kings of tech. Saw a role $100/hr for a C++ coder. That's $16k monthly. Mostly untaxed if you live in Naija. The problem is that a lot of people think that remote tech folks sit down and do nothing to earn "big" money. They work like donkeys and most barely have a social life

3 Likes

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by nikky5(m): 8:48pm On Jul 31, 2022
doggedfighter:

The ones I know are remote workers and they're smiling.

Working for Naija clients will drain you and leave you dry .

Having bought a bought a bungalow and half plot of land in Lagos exactly a decade ago from website development projects is worth giving glory to God.

Today, am into publishing and real estate. I have stopped all the coding stuff. Just encouraging my 16 years old daughter to like coding too.

So, whether drop or what isn't what matters but getting your clients satisfaction.

I am not a fantastic programmers like you guys. With God,all things are possible.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Software engineers are the kings of tech. Saw a role $100/hr for a C++ coder. That's $16k monthly. Mostly untaxed if you live in Naija. The problem is that a lot of people think that remote tech folks sit down and do nothing to end "big" money. They work like donkeys and most barely have a social life

A lot of Nigerians still think programming is installing WordPress scripts and using elementor.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by pocohantas(f): 8:58pm On Jul 31, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Software engineers are the kings of tech. Saw a role $100/hr for a C++ coder. That's $16k monthly. Mostly untaxed if you live in Naija. The problem is that a lot of people think that remote tech folks sit down and do nothing to end "big" money. They work like donkeys and most barely have a social life

Well said. No remote worker just sits at home doing nothing. Not one. You will learn the true meaning of time is money.

But $100/hr is a lot o. If I see $50/hr, I will jump from my balcony. If I break leg, no wahala. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Well said. No remote worker just sits at home doing nothing. Not one. You will learn the true meaning of time is money.

But $100/hr is a lot o. If I see $50/hr, I will jump from my balcony. If I break leg, no wahala. grin grin
see target grin.. Una get big eye for this remote thing sha
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 9:24pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

When they say “time is money”, when you work with these westerners you will know the real meaning. I work for one of those employers. You sit down on the PC and you will think you have worked like two donkeys for 8 years. You look at your timer only to realize that it’s just 8mins you have worked. To cry go dey hungry you when you realize that you haven’t even started the day yet.

My own now is to find a single job paying me that $50/hr. I’m having to combine jobs at the moment and it’s back breaking. When Sunday night comes, I start having palpitations that another 5 days of break body is about to unload
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 9:25pm On Jul 31, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

A lot of Nigerians still think programming is installing WordPress scripts and using elementor.

Even some people in tech still like this. Terrible
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Never knew pocahontas was a guy lol.

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 9:51pm On Jul 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Lol! Why do you think they are male though?
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 31, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Why do you think they are male though?

They? are they many?
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by pocohantas(f): 10:35pm On Jul 31, 2022
DrLevi:

see target grin.. Una get big eye for this remote thing sha

Is it too much? cheesy cheesy
Okay, $45/hr.

GREATIGBOMAN:

Why do you think I am a GUY?
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Deicide: 10:37pm On Jul 31, 2022
To be honest if you are well established I don't think this economy would even affect you.
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by pocohantas(f): 10:40pm On Jul 31, 2022
airsaylongcome:

When they say “time is money”, when you work with these westerners you will know the real meaning. I work for one of those employers. You sit down on the PC and you will think you have worked like two donkeys for 8 years. You look at your timer only to realize that it’s just 8mins you have worked. To cry go dey hungry you when you realize that you haven’t even started the day yet.

My own now is to find a single job paying me that $50/hr. I’m having to combine jobs at the moment and it’s back breaking. When Sunday night comes, I start having palpitations that another 5 days of break body is about to unload

I have stopped the habit of checking my time tracker. It gives me chest pain.

I don’t know how people work with multiple clients o. My organization is a B2B, we serve our partners, not individual customers. Sometimes I think my bosses have spoiled me and I am afraid to work with anyone else.

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 10:40pm On Jul 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

They? are they many?

Lol! Na western language o. E get one day wey I respond to work email from an Amanda. I was dead sure Amanda was female so I was using she and her. Na him dem ask me whether dem tell me say Amanda pronoun na “she/her” say if I dem no tell me their pronoun say na “they” I suppose dey use. Fear catch me dat day
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

Is it too much? cheesy cheesy
Okay, $45/hr.
Where una day see this kian pay

Boys dey find 25/h

We're not even asking for much
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by airsaylongcome: 10:43pm On Jul 31, 2022
pocohantas:

I have stopped the habit of checking my time tracker. It gives me chest pain.

I don’t know how people work with multiple clients o. My organization is a B2B, we serve our partners, not individual customers. Sometimes I think my bosses have spoiled me and I am afraid to work with anyone else.

Lmaoooooo! I have tried to avoid looking at it. But I use it to remind me of the “pain” involved in earning this money. So that when some entitled person asks me for money like they gave me money to keep, when I remember the “pain”, I can answer them in a language they understand.

Working with multiple clients is brutal to put it nicely. And my performance on my first job dipped noticeably. I had to bobo my manager that I have been privately managing some health challenges. I suffer from allergies, and with the rainy season and poorly built houses, mold “kills” me. Luckily the day he called me to speak about it, I was having an active allergic reaction with nose blocked and all. He sha bought my story that I couldn’t take clients calls because I sounded horrible. But I really have to find a balance
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by dodgelord: 10:47pm On Jul 31, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You dislike peter Obi

You're useless
very usel ezz. No mind d f 00 l
Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by dodgelord: 10:48pm On Jul 31, 2022
doggedfighter:

dont mind d poster his not a coder. Just want to post n lie

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? by dodgelord: 10:51pm On Jul 31, 2022
doggedfighter:

i swear
Small html n css. They begin to call themselves programmer.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? / Free Camscan Download / Courses In Software Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.