Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,545 members, 7,840,297 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space (576 Views)

Vegas Is Open! Cypaid Traveled To las Vegas Despite Covid 19 Restrictions / My Two Sons Traveled To Europe By Desert - Nigerian Benin Woman / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space by SouthSultan(m): 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2021
Billionaire Jeff Bezos blasted into space on Tuesday, in the first crewed flight of his rocket ship, New Shepard.

He was accompanied by Mark Bezos, his brother, Wally Funk, an 82-year-old pioneer of the space race, and an 18-year-old student.

They travelled in a capsule with the biggest windows flown in space, offering stunning views of the Earth.

All four passengers have now parachuted safely back to Earth after their 10-minute, 10-second trip.

New Shepard, built by Bezos' company Blue Origin, is designed to serve the burgeoning market for space tourism.

On this flight was the oldest person who has been to space - Ms Funk - and the youngest, student Oliver Daemen.

The spacecraft lifted off at 14:12 BST (09:12 EDT) from a private launch site near Van Horn, Texas.

Jeff Bezos sets date for space sightseeing flight
Jeff Bezos and brother to fly to space in July
Wally Funk, 82, to join Bezos space flight
After the capsule touched down, Bezos said: "Best day ever!"

Two minutes into the flight, the capsule separated from its rocket and continued upwards towards the Karman Line - the most widely recognised boundary of space, 100km up.

The passengers experienced about four minutes of weightlessness, and were able to unstrap from their seats to float around and enjoy the views of our planet far below.

The astronauts could be heard cheering in the capsule as it passed the Karman Line.

The moment the capsule touched down in the
"Oh my word, look at the world," Ms Funk said as she marvelled at the views.

Before the flight, she had said she was looking forward to performing somersaults and tumbles in microgravity.

In the 1960s, Ms Funk was one member of a group of women called the Mercury 13. They underwent the same screening tests as male astronauts, but never got to fly into space.

Mr Bezos said: "Wally can outrun all of us. During the Mercury 13, she was better than all the men and I can guarantee that's still true today."

The capsule reached a maximum altitude of around 107km (351,210ft) before starting its descent, parachuting down to a soft landing in the desert.

After touching down, Mark Bezos said: "I am unbelievably good."

Bezos recently resigned as chief executive of Amazon, the e-commerce giant he founded, in order to concentrate on his other ventures, including Blue Origin.

Re: Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space by Fahdiga(m): 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2021
Nice one. A dream fulfilled
Re: Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space by mountmoriah(m): 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2021
Fahdiga:
Nice one. A dream fulfilled
Re: Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space by Plut01: 5:26pm On Jul 20, 2021

Where is the boy who paid 18 mill dolls? I can't see him among them.

Re: Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space by CryptoRepublic1: 7:55am On Jul 21, 2021
Plut01:

Where is the boy who paid 18 mill dolls? I can't see him among them.

I can't either ,but I think that it's Justin Sun though.
Re: Jeff Bezos And 3 Others Finally Traveled To Space by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 2:44pm On Jul 21, 2021
It has become a commercial business model now. GOING TO SPACE. A Hotel in space would be the next thing now.

(1) (Reply)

3million Naira Intact / Fish Rain From Sky In Texarkana - Has This Happened Any Where In Nigeria? / £20 And £50 Notes Out Of Circulation Before End Of 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.