Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,859 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) (7873 Views)

Itsekiris And Igbo Slaves / Mad Man Who Built The First Storey Building In Enugu Community (pictures) / Peter Obi Built The Biggest Mall In Abuja During His Tenure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by rosinkkit: 6:45am On Jul 23, 2021
EMMY76:
Historiian indeed it depends on who wrote down the history but how come this same bini people are the ones selling themselves into sex slavery in Italy and lybia today compared to the igbos who loves to live large as free men? There are bini mythology that claimed that the bini moat wall was singlehandedly
built by a very powerful giant who was a bini prince so I don't know where reno got his own story from.

Well, who knows? Could have been a powerful figure with supernatural powers, of whom they were many in antiquity.

But the accepted history is that the wall was built over a 300 year period and finally completed by Oba Ewuare in the 1400s.

According to Wiki

The Walls of Benin are a series of earthworks made up of banks and ditches, called Iya in the Edo language, in the area around present-day Benin City, the capital of present-day Edo, Nigeria. They consist of 15 km (9.3 mi) of city iya and an estimated 16,000 kilometres (9,900 miles) of rural iya in the area around Benin. The 'walls' of Benin City and surrounding areas were described as "the world's largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era" by the Guinness book of Records. Some estimates suggest that the walls of Benin may have been constructed between the thirteenth and mid-fifteenth century CE and others suggest that the walls of Benin (in the Esan region) may have been constructed during the first millennium CE.

The 'walls' of Benin City and surrounding areas were described as "the world's largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era" by the Guinness book of Records.

History

First Encounters with the West and Records
The Benin City walls have been known to Westerners since around 1500. Around 1500, the Portuguese explorer Duarte Pacheco Pereira, briefly described the walls during his travels. Another description given around 1600, one hundred years after Pereira's description, is by the Dutch explorer Dierick Ruiters.

Pereira's account of the walls is as follows:

''This city is about a league long from gate to gate; it has no wall but is surrounded by a large moat, very wide and deep, which suffices for its defence.''

The archaeologist Graham Connah suggests that Pereira was mistaken with his description by saying that there was no wall. Connah says, "[Pereira] considered that a bank of earth was not a wall in the sense of the Europe of his day."

Ruiters' account of the walls is as follows:

At the gate where I entered on horseback, I saw a very high bulwark, very thick of earth, with a very deep broad ditch....That gate is a reasonable good gate, made of wood in their manner, which is to be shut, and there always there is watch holden.''

Construction

Estimates for the initial construction of the walls range from the first millennium CE to the mid-fifteenth century CE. According to Connah, ... [traditional history] and travelers' accounts suggest a construction date of 1450-1500 CE. It has been estimated that, assuming a 10-hour work day, a labour force of 5,000 men could have completed the walls within 97 days, or by 2,421 men in 200 days. However, these estimates have been criticized for not taking into account the time it would have taken to extract earth from an ever deepening hole and the time it would have taken to heap the earth into a high bank.

Description

The walls were built of a ditch and dike structure; the ditch dug to form an inner moat with the excavated earth used to form the exterior rampart.

The Benin Walls were demolished by the British during the Benin Expedition of 1897. Scattered pieces of the structure remain in Edo, with the vast majority of them being used by the locals for building purposes. What remains of the wall itself continues to be torn down for real estate developments.

Ethnomathematician Ron Eglash has discussed the planned layout of the city using fractals as the basis, not only in the city itself and the villages but even in the rooms of houses. He commented that "When Europeans first came to Africa, they considered the architecture very disorganised and thus primitive. It never occurred to them that the Africans might have been using a form of mathematics that they hadn’t even discovered yet."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walls_of_Benin

On the 11th of September 1999, popular science writer who had reported on the environment, popular science and development issues from 64 countries over the past 20 years, Fred Pearce, talked about the Walls Of Benin which he published in an article in the widely read science magazine, The New Scientist. He stated that:
“They extend for some 16,000km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They cover 2, 510 sq. miles (6, 500 square kilometers) and were all dug by the Edo people.”

“In all, they are four times longer than the Great Wall of China and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops. They took an estimated 150 million hours .... to construct and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet.”

https://vocalafrica.com/walls-of-benin/
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by kingthreat(m): 6:47am On Jul 23, 2021
FakeUnity:
Then how come the Bini kingdom as powerful as it was couldn't entrench itself into Igboland like the fulanis have entrenched itself into yorubaland by putting a fulani emirate o yorubaland after selling many yorubas in the trans-saharan slave trade.

In every society that was properly conquered, the victors usually put their puppet in place, just like fulani did in yorubaland, why don't we have same in Igboland? Who is the Oba's rep in Igboland? How come no bini cultural vestiges in Igboland, rather binis even borrow Igbo words like 'Oka' etc in their language..

Reno, you dey blow lies, There are NO FACTS to back up your gobbledegook.. grin

As for the presidency you claimed will go SW, I'll rather it remains in the North if it will not come to the SE. We are not fools that whom you think you can play pranks with. If the SW claim they made a mistake in 2015, no problem, but allow us to make the same mistake of keeping power in the north if the SE is denied the tickets..
Nobody has a monopoly of madness and craftiness.

The Benin kingdom was a powerful kingdom on its own. It was not keen on conquest. Perhaps they did not have a plan for expansion. But they were powerful.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by ojobek: 6:49am On Jul 23, 2021
It pains to be slaves
IGBOSON1:

Are you really serious!?

Only a small and bigoted mind like yours would attach any significance to the anti-Igbo posts and utterances of Reno Omokri! Igbos, on the other hand, have gotten used to these kind of rants...they're like water off a ducks back!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by sultry69(m): 6:49am On Jul 23, 2021
louqas:

If everybody hates you then you need to check yourself.....

The iboman needs to tell himself the truth and stop playing the ostrich. Everyone hates you but you have refused to leave where you are hated , isnt that insanity?
Look around the east, how many fulanis do you still see.....they have almost all gone because they see real hate that have been shown them theŕe.....if you have really been hated in other parts of Nigeria , you would have headed back east since...
You mean the terrorist Fulani's, I'm not Igbo,but nobody will be looking a stranger to be terrorising their host.

If you are a Fulani,you are a world terrorist.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by louqas: 6:56am On Jul 23, 2021
sultry69:
You mean the terrorist Fulani's, I'm not Igbo,but nobody will be looking a stranger to be terrorising their host.

If you are a Fulani,you are a world terrorist.

But will be foolish enough to stay put where they are really hated?
If ibos are really hated by other Nigerians they will all be back in the east already or why did they do so in 1966 before the war

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Kyase(m): 6:57am On Jul 23, 2021
FakeUnity:
Then how come the Bini kingdom as powerful as it was couldn't entrench itself into Igboland like the fulanis have entrenched itself into yorubaland by putting a fulani emirate o yorubaland after selling many yorubas in the trans-saharan slave trade.

In every society that was properly conquered, the victors usually put their puppet in place, just like fulani did in yorubaland, why don't we have same in Igboland? Who is the Oba's rep in Igboland? How come no bini cultural vestiges in Igboland, rather binis even borrow Igbo words like 'Oka' etc in their language..

As for the presidency you claimed will go SW, I'll rather it remains in the North if it will not come to the SE. We are not fools that whom you think you can play pranks with. If the SW claim they made a mistake in 2015, no problem, but allow us to make the same mistake of keeping power in the north if the SE is denied the tickets..

Fulani man ”we in the south don’t care who becomes the president as long as he’s a southerner

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Benwallt(m): 6:58am On Jul 23, 2021
The igbos here should now know that the yorubas are your best pals. It shows you that you have more enemy in ppl you call friends. There are no differences between an igbo man in the southwest n the locals apart from language. I am not sure the history is true sha because the binis can doctor anything
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by NinjaMetahuman: 6:59am On Jul 23, 2021
Boudiccao:
If you want to trend and be noticed in life just mention Igbos and cook up a silly story about Igbos.

This man is damn too childish and bigoted.
because other tribes would ignore him but emotional people of south east wouldn't.

That's why it's easier to catch cruise on their flat head. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Boudiccao: 7:06am On Jul 23, 2021
NinjaMetahuman:
because other tribes would ignore him but emotional people of south east wouldn't.

That's why it's easier to catch cruise on their flat head. grin

Wrong. Because Nigerians have a communal hatred for Igbos and come together for the purpose of taunting Igbos.
Anybody that attacks Igbos receive praise from Nigerians instead of condemnation.

On this forum alone, Nigerians celebrate whenever there is an anti igbo rhetoric and thread. You all hold so much hatred and animosity for Igbos.
It's ridiculous and disgusting. This is why Nigeria is at the level of backwardness it is in today. You are doing yourselves.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by NinjaMetahuman: 7:09am On Jul 23, 2021
[s]
Boudiccao:

Wrong. Because Nigerians have a communal hatred for Igbos and come together for the purpose of taunting Igbos.
Anybody that attacks Igbos receive praise from Nigerians instead of condemnation.

On this forum alone, Nigerians celebrate whenever there is an anti igbo rhetoric and thread. You all hold so much hatred and animosity for Igbos.
It's ridiculous and disgusting. This is why Nigeria is at the level of backwardness it is in today. You are doing yourselves.
[/s]yeah yeah

Every one just hates Igbos out of over 250 tribes in Nigeria.

Same nonsense stories.

If everyone hates you, then you are the problem.
Sheesh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Benwallt(m): 7:09am On Jul 23, 2021
EmmanuelScott1:
Reno mokri from #buhariTomentor to #igboHater, typical Afonja man
Reno could be right though. You suppose to drag Reno and his clan but you chose to drag yoruba in. Maybe you are still afraid of dragging him and his clan for what they did to you ppl. Is Reno a Yoruba Man? You have a pit viper close to your legs but you worrying about a Lion roaring miles away

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by eastOFwest(m): 7:13am On Jul 23, 2021
louqas:

When you brothers are opening multiple threads to debunk the claim by reno......

Which brothers? No be nairaland again? When you see real Igbo thread, you will surely know.

louqas:

In the past when Reno was supporting you and yall were insulting everyone not with you , reno was not acting any script, you had a common enemy in buhari....you are very wrong about reno jumping to APC , BIG FAT LIE......im not a fan of reno but seeing him giving it to you guys so hot gladdens my heart.

Any supposed support that Reno showed was surely for his own selfish reasons, and was clearly because he was card carrying PDP anti Buhari person. Obviously any group, like IPOB, who had issues with Buhari will be on the same side with him. I'm sure IPOB was ready to flow with him, but that didn't entitle him to take liberties. His wings were clipped and now he is childishly throwing rants upandan like the insecure child I always suspected he was. I never said Reno was jumping to APC (wetin "consign" me), I only used that to buttress how useless and flip flopping, Nigerian politicians are. Very useless people. All of them.

louqas:

.....im not a fan of reno but seeing him giving it to you guys so hot gladdens my heart.

My dear, you obviously have too much time on your hands and you were probably not hugged as a child. Which giving it hot? And to what effect? The only people probably losing any sleep over his childish rants are a small number of people like you on social media, with too much time on their hands.

louqas:

Im expecting Ibos Igbo to en masse report Reno to facebook and ask that his recent posts on ibos being enslaved for centuries down..... if you people cant do that to reno.....you have no moral jistification to ever condemn anyone because you are hypocrites who can only intimidate an Adamu Garba

Bros you should be calming down nah. We will do as we wish and condemn who we want. We don't need any validation from your type.

Meanwhile I still claim and accept the fact that our technology made Bini empire great. grin
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Boudiccao: 7:19am On Jul 23, 2021
NinjaMetahuman:
[s][/s]yeah yeah

Every one just hates Igbos out of over 250 tribes in Nigeria.

Same nonsense stories.

If everyone hates you, then you are the problem.
Sheesh.

What are you canceling? Guilty conscience?
You all celebrate anti Igbo rhetorics here like it's Christmas.
Nobody says, No, This is wrong. Stop casting aspersions on Igbo people all the time.
Anybody that trash talk Igbos become a Legend in Nigeria, that's to show the amount of hatred Nigerians have for Igbos.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Boudiccao: 7:21am On Jul 23, 2021
eastOFwest:

Which brothers? No be nairaland again? When you see real Igbo thread, you will surely know.

Any supposed support that Reno showed was surely for his own selfish reasons, and was clearly because he was card carrying PDP anti Buhari person. Obviously any group, like IPOB, who had issues with Buhari will be on the same side with him. I'm sure IPOB was ready to flow with him, but that didn't entitle him to take liberties. His wings were clipped and now he is childishly throwing rants upandan like the insecure child I always suspected he was. I never said Reno was jumping to APC (wetin "consign" me), I only used that to buttress how useless and flip flopping, Nigerian politicians are. Very useless people. All of them.

My dear, you obviously have too much time on your hands and you were probably not hugged as a child. Which giving it hot? And to what effect? The only people probably losing any sleep over his childish rants are a small number of people like you on social media, with too much time on their hands.

Bros you should be calming down nah. We will do as we wish and condemn who we want. We don't need any validation from your type.

Meanwhile I still claim and accept the fact that our technology made Bini empire great. grin

Igbos civilized Benin.
Even their Bronze works was made by Igbos.

As a matter of fact , Igbo arts and Bronze works predate Benin and Yoruba.
It's right to say Igbos civilized the rest of Southern Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 23, 2021
eastOFwest:

Your technology? or you guys were just the mules? SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 23, 2021
Boudiccao:

Igbos civilized Benin.
Even their Bronze works was made by Igbos.

As a matter of fact , Igbo arts and Bronze works predate Benin and Yoruba.
It's right to say Igbos civilized the rest of Southern Nigeria.

SMH. You guys never cease to amaze me.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by YoungBlackRico(m): 7:33am On Jul 23, 2021
FakeUnity:

Yeah, like it matters what y'all think or want for that matter, be like you don forget the phrase "5%ters" grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by eastOFwest(m): 7:41am On Jul 23, 2021
kmcutez:

Your technology? or you guys were just the mules? SMH.

Yes. Our very Igbotic technology smiley
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by YoungBlackRico(m): 7:43am On Jul 23, 2021
kmcutez:

They never get tired grin The greatest enemies of igbos right now are the igbos on NL and SM, these millennials have brought more hate and disrepute to that region than whatever it is their forefathers did in the past grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Imustnottalk: 7:45am On Jul 23, 2021
Frontail:
grin
the fear of buhari is the beginning of wisdom
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by eastOFwest(m): 7:45am On Jul 23, 2021
kmcutez:

You'll keep on being amazed until you go and ask your brother Reno to tell you who the winch is that is romancing him with all these coven tales.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by eastOFwest(m): 7:47am On Jul 23, 2021
YoungBlackRico:
They never get tired grin The greatest enemies of igbos right now are the igbos on NL and SM, these millennials have brought more hate and disrepute to that region than whatever it is their forefathers did in the past grin

.....you wish smiley

In your dreams grin
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Boudiccao: 7:47am On Jul 23, 2021
kmcutez:

Going by the nonsense Reno is spewing, Igbos built the moat wall, bronze works and civilized Benin.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by walexbiz(m): 8:25am On Jul 23, 2021
Mr Reno Omokri, please dont just dish out information wiithout providing evidence, when I was young I was told the Israelis built the great pyramids it was not until the arrivals of the discovery and History channels on DSTV that I Iearnt that Egyptians built those pyramid with empirical evidence of writing on the wall of the pyramid.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by FakeUnity: 8:47am On Jul 23, 2021
YoungBlackRico:
Yeah, like it matters what y'all think or want for that matter, be like you don forget the phrase "5%ters" grin

I'm proudly Igbo, What tribe and religion do you belong?

grin
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Nkitara: 9:01am On Jul 23, 2021
Ever8090:
This man dey find ipob trouble every now and then, so what he is trying to say is that, the Benin kingdom was using the black Israeli jews as slaves or what?...
That was then sir. Ordinary foolanis use them to play hockey talk more of when Igbos bounce on them now. It's history so enjoy it and keep dumb
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by History555: 9:02am On Jul 23, 2021
How can a wall be built without bricks or nothing. What kind of wall is that and to call it the largest structure on earth. For real. What then do we call the great walls China and the pyramids. Reno should look for something else to do
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by temitope27(m): 9:08am On Jul 23, 2021
Nbotee:
So Igbos actually developed Benin Kingdom den
can't you read? They are slaves used as labourer and nt architect or engineer. Same as slaves were used to built the pyramid of Egypt

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by Anazp: 9:23am On Jul 23, 2021
kingthreat:
A united Igbo people captured vast space in Ibibio land and named it Arochukwu
A united Igbo fought the British for months during the Arochukwu and Isioma wars.
A united Igbo fought a 3 year war on a united Nigerian army. They didnt win but they were a major threat.
Now imagine what a united igbo people can achieve. If they were not landlocked, I would have supported their seccession. But with the way things are, the Igbo people with unity, the right ideals and enterprising nature can make a great difference in Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
But the question is, "Are they ready"?
Me that is talking, not even my tribe is ready sef. Black man and him plenty wahala. Make I go rest abeg.
a United igbo were roundly defeated just after three years of civil war with it's leader running away to Ivory coast

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by kingthreat(m): 9:49am On Jul 23, 2021
Anazp:
a United igbo were roundly defeated just after three years of civil war with it's leader running away to Ivory coast

That was a battle they could not win. Same with the present agitation for secession. It is a big shot in their foot, it won't work. The Igbos are better off choosing the right battles and dedicating their energy to it.
Re: Igbo Slaves Built The Great Wall (Moat) Of Benin - Reno Omokri (Pic) by bjdon: 9:50am On Jul 23, 2021
IGBOSON1:

Are you really serious!?

Only a small and bigoted mind like yours would attach any significance to the anti-Igbo posts and utterances of Reno Omokri! Igbos, on the other hand, have gotten used to these kind of rants...they're like water off a ducks back!

Here is an example of exactly what Remo is saying. You take everything as 'Anti-Igbo'. The man is outlining some failings in the Igbo mindset, that have been exploited by other ethnic groups over the years. Rather than ponder on these, you result to saying it's 'Anti-Igbo'. Continue playing the Ostrich with your hand firmly in the sand, all the other groups in Nigeria will produce a president why you guys will be yelling 'Anti-Igbo' all the place

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ibb's Wife Dying Of Cancer! / Too Early To Judge Jonathan: Says Abati - Wtf? / Justice Karatu:serap Seeks Probe Of Unfair Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.