Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? (4266 Views)

Top 6 Projects In Northern Nigeria / Soyinka To UN: Declare Nigeria As Protectorates To Stop Bandits ‘Slave Trade’ / Opinion:Nnamdi Kanu Is Right;Atiku’s Adamawa Was In Northern Cameroon- The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Ikwerelastborn: 10:22am On Jul 24, 2021
almost all the stories of slave trade has been in the south ,we have little or nothing about slave trade in northern Nigeria, anyone knows?
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by theTranscriber: 10:28am On Jul 24, 2021
Yes
Trans Saharan slave trade
To Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Libya etc
Nigeria basically supplied slaves to the world cry shocked lipsrsealed undecided

12 Likes

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Plomo: 10:28am On Jul 24, 2021
There were the jihads. Northern Nigeria was not predominantly hausa islam until Uthman dan fodio reared his ugly head.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 10:28am On Jul 24, 2021
Slave trade occured in Africa entirely including Northern Nigeria but there are no proper documentation about them

5 Likes

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 10:29am On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:
There were the jihads. Northern Nigeria was not predominantly hausa until Uthman dan fodio reared his ugly head.

How is Jihad related to slave trade?

undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Jerryherd: 10:30am On Jul 24, 2021
cool

It was very rampant in the North, their trading route were both trans Sahara and trans Atlantic

Tafawa balewa's father was a slave

The major problem was that after Fulanis took over Hausa kingdoms, they only kidnapp and sold hausas... This made many Hausa flee down South and met with British Colonialist soldiers

The British and the Hausa fleeing slaves started the British west Africa frontier force... They succeeded in sending Fulani emirs away and stopping slave trade

British in turn made Hausa the First Constabulary of Nigeria , later local police, which later became Nigerian Army

9 Likes

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Plomo: 10:32am On Jul 24, 2021
Monogamy:

How is Jihad related to slave trade?

undecided

He asked if there was slave trade and I said there were jihads instead.

Unless you can show me a timeline of northerners being sold and shipped off. With proof of where they settled after slavery had been abolished.
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Ikwerelastborn: 10:32am On Jul 24, 2021
theTranscriber:
Yes
To Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Libya etc
Nigeria basically supplied slaves to the world cry shocked lipsrsealed undecided
Wow, thats mind blogging ,but how come no one talks about it.they tend to focus only in the south
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Ikwerelastborn: 10:33am On Jul 24, 2021
Monogamy:
Slave trade occured in Africa entirely including Northern Nigeria but there are no proper documentation about them
Thank you
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 10:35am On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:

He asked if there was slave trade and I said there were jihads instead.

Unless you can show me a timeline of northerners being sold and shipped off. With proof of where they settled after slavery had been abolished.

Go and pick up your history book.. You must be one of those people that missed social education and Geography classes

3 Likes

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Idamond: 10:36am On Jul 24, 2021
they released they're useless to trade with... imaging trading a cow
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Plomo: 10:37am On Jul 24, 2021
Monogamy:

Go and pick up your history book.. You must be one of those people that missed social education and Geography classes

Now you’re deflecting.

If you know so much, educate us here.

The OP asked a question after all.

Give us timelines and point us to reading materials.
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 10:38am On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:

Now you’re deflecting.

If you know so much, educate us here.

The OP asked a question after all.

Give us timelines and point us to reading materials.

So the ones presented above, why not put on your reading glasses and read that
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Plomo: 10:39am On Jul 24, 2021
Monogamy:

So the ones presented above, why not put on your reading glasses and read that

Look at you.

Oga paste links of papers that talks about slave trade in northern Nigeria or go and sit down.

3 Likes

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 10:40am On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:

Look at you.

Oga paste links of papers that talks about slave trade in northern Nigeria or go and sit down.

Walahi, I would rather pick beans than pasting any link.

Google no dey work for your phone?

5 Likes

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Plomo: 10:47am On Jul 24, 2021
Monogamy:

Walahi, I would rather pick beans than pasting any link.

Google no dey work for your phone?

Na them be this.

You can argue but you cannot back up your arguments with proof.

It was not even an argument to start with. I actually want to know but I will not take your word of mouth as canon.

Even before you mentioned google, I had already taken a quick glance at some search results and almost all of them point back to slavery in southern Nigeria.

Even you yourself said:
Monogamy:

1 Like

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 10:49am On Jul 24, 2021
Plomo:

Na them be this.

You can argue but you cannot back up your arguments with proof.

It was not even an argument to start with. I actually want to know but I will not take your word of mouth as canon.

Even before you mentioned google, I had already taken a quick glance at some search results and almost all of them point back to slavery in southern Nigeria.

Even you yourself said:

So no proper documention means they do not exist?

Chai, Chi Chi, come and shee shomething
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Saifullah01: 10:54am On Jul 24, 2021
There was, but it was within the ambit of what was considered "normal" at that era - trade of POW of "fringe tribes" with no organised state (I dont mean to trivialize those it happened to). But it didn't happen @ the industrial scale it did in other parts of the country
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Plomo: 10:56am On Jul 24, 2021
Saifullah01:
There was, but it was within the ambit of what was considered "normal" at that era - trade of POW of "fringe tribes" with no organised state (I dont mean to trivialize those it happened to). But it didn't happen @ the industrial scale it did in other parts of the country

@Monogamy can you now see? Oh look, I also found something for you: http://www.rogerblench.info/Anthropology/Africa/The%20present%20in%20the%20past.pdf
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Iyasaburi: 11:00am On Jul 24, 2021
theTranscriber:
Yes
To Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Libya etc

But this is not in our history, even the North have not told us about this in any document
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by naptu2: 11:02am On Jul 24, 2021
There was slave trade in Northern Nigeria. There was domestic slave trade and the Trans-Saharan slave trade. Alhassan Dantata, Aliko Dangote's great grandfather was sold into slavery when he was young but he and his brother were able to free themselves.

1 Like

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by theTranscriber: 11:02am On Jul 24, 2021
Iyasaburi:

But this is not in our history, even the North have not told us about this in any document
use Google
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Tinubuadvocate: 11:04am On Jul 24, 2021
Are you historian?
theTranscriber:
Yes
To Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Libya etc
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by theTranscriber: 11:05am On Jul 24, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Are you historian?
a little
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Tinubuadvocate: 11:06am On Jul 24, 2021
You try.
theTranscriber:
a little
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by naptu2: 11:06am On Jul 24, 2021
There are three types of slave trades that were usually taught in history classes in Nigerian schools: the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, the Trans-Sahara Slave Trade and the Domestic Slave Trade.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Iyasaburi: 11:24am On Jul 24, 2021
theTranscriber:
use Google

Ehn ehn, ok, after you transcribe the video for me
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by theTranscriber: 11:31am On Jul 24, 2021
Iyasaburi:

Ehn ehn, ok, after you transcribe the video for me
what video?
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Monogamy: 11:33am On Jul 24, 2021
Iyasaburi:

Then you must have missed history classes during your secondary school days
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by Snitch24(m): 11:37am On Jul 24, 2021
Jerryherd:
cool

It was very rampant in the North, their trading route were both trans Sahara and trans Atlantic

Tafawa balewa's grandfather was a repatriated slave saved by British Navy

The major problem was that after Fulanis took over Hausa kingdoms, they only kidnapp and sold hausas... This made many Hausa flee down South and met with British Colonialist soldiers

The British and the Hausa fleeing slaves started the British west Africa frontier force... They succeeded in sending Fulani emirs away and stopping slave trade

British in turn made Hausa the First Constabulary of Nigeria , later local police, which later became Nigerian Army

Wow
Re: Was There Ever Slave Trade In Northern Nigeria? by arantess: 11:50am On Jul 24, 2021
theTranscriber:
Yes
To Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Libya etc
Africa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Worst State Capitals In The Southern Region / Meet The Guy Running The Show In Lagos State Government (picture) / I Don't Believe In God - Ed Miliband (new Uk Labour Leader)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.