Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

How I Became An Atheist. - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How I Became An Atheist. (8281 Views)

Why I Became An Atheist / Shiloh: I Became A Minister After Bishop Oyedepo Prayed For Me - Betta Edu / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 04, 2021
Image123:

Omnipresent. He's is where you find Him. Draw near to Him and He'll draw near to you.

How did you know he is here
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 10:48am On Aug 04, 2021
HellVictorinho:

How did you know he is here

Because He's omnipresent.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 04, 2021
You obviously don't have a solid spiritual background and spiritual mentor from inception. Even when you grew up and became an adult, you were not properly guided spiritually to accepting Christ.

Lastly, youve not had a personal conviction with God.

The major problem here is that You have only been a church goer who was never spiritualy deep-rooted In the word despite pretending all along to read the word and do as you're told to do.

Where you lost it was when your father failed to explain the part where you said God promised not to destroy the world with flood but you see it happening.
Your parents too may not even understand the Bible well enough to explain very well; Reason I said earlier that you lacked a solid spiritual foundation and mentor.

To what God meant about not destroying the world with flood.

Now, this is not in any way referring to the floods you see these days as the former was used to destroy the whole world while the one your are referring to happens and affects only a fraction of the world. Note the difference. These are caused by natural disasters and not in any way connected with God.

So try to understand and differentiate the things done by God and the ones that are caused by human or natural factors.
I wonder why your dad could not explain a simple thing as this to you if he was truly a regenerated Christian.

Finally, Christianity is not only by reading books, but by having a personal encounter and conviction with God ( Paul former Saul of Tarsus) Then you won't need anyone to beg you to remain a Christian because whoever the Father choses, no one can snatch away.
Until then, Shalom.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Image123:

Choose Jesus Christ. The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. It's up to you, like you say a matter of choice.

Jesus is Lord!

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2021
HellVictorinho:

People like budaatum want me to feel bad or accept their derogatory views about me till I commit suicide.

You need to take responsibility for yourself instead of irresponsibly blaming others!

Image123, kindly keep pointing out that Jesus is the Messiah too please. Those who need saving might listen to you and be saved.

1 Like

Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 05, 2021
Image123:

Because He's omnipresent.

How did you know he is omnipresent?
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 05, 2021
budaatum:

You need to take responsibility for yourself instead of irresponsibly blaming others!

Image123, kindly keep pointing out that Jesus is the Messiah too please. Those who need saving might listen to you and be saved.

You have to take responsibility for your useless replies instead of irresponsibly repeating things in vain!!!!!!!!!

Since you have nothing useful to say, shut up or don't reply me!!!!!!!

Case closed!!!!
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 05, 2021
CharisEleos:
You obviously don't have a solid spiritual background and spiritual mentor from inception. Even when you grew up and became an adult, you were not properly guided spiritually to accepting Christ.

The major problem here is that You have only been a church goer who was never spiritualy deep-rooted In the word despite pretending all along to read the word and do as you're told to do.

Where you lost it was when your father failed to explain the part where you said God promised not to destroy the world with flood but you see it happening.
Your parents too may not even understand the Bible well enough to explain very well; Reason I said earlier that you lacked a solid spiritual foundation and mentor.

Now, this is not in any way referring to the floods you see these days as the former was used to destroy the whole world while the one your are referring to happens and affects only a fraction of the world. Note the difference. These are caused by natural disasters and not in any way connected with God.

So try to understand and differentiate the things done by God and the ones that are caused by human or natural factors.
I wonder why your dad could not explain a simple thing as this to you if he was truly a regenerated Christian.

Finally, Christianity is not only by reading books, but by having a personal encounter and conviction with God ( Paul former Saul of Tarsus) Then you won't need anyone to beg you to remain a Christian because whoever the Father choses, no one can snatch away.
Until then, Shalom.

How does this mean God exists
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Image123(m): 8:15pm On Aug 05, 2021
HellVictorinho:

How did you know he is omnipresent?

Experience, plus He said so.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2021
Image123:

Experience, plus He said so.

How did you know it is God you experience or heard?
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 8:46pm On Aug 05, 2021
Workch:
It’s no surprise that I am an atheist, but one thing people don’t know about me is that I was a Christian for 28years. Yes 28years.

I was not just a Christian, I had full membership in my church and was a member of the choir. I was born into a Christian home, we had morning and evening devotions everyday as a child. My dad personally tried indoctrinating us a lot, we read the Bible every single day and then he explains but seriously even as a child a lot of the stories didn’t add up but I was scared that I was being blasphemous.
I remember a day my dad was teaching us about Noah’s flood and then we got to that point where god said he’s using the rainbow as a sign to remind humanity that he would never destroy earth with flood. Even as a 9years old, that part didn’t make sense to me, because I see it in the news frequently of flood destroying farms, properties and even killing people. I asked my dad and he didn’t give me a reasonable explanation.
As a teenager, I started teaching Sunday school to kids in church, I taught them that god never change but in my mind, I wasn’t convinced because while reading the Bible, there many instances of god changing his mind and even regretting his decisions. I always think about it that the god of Old Testament seems different from what is portrayed in the New Testament, something changed. I kept a lot of things to myself because people around were so religious and would quickly rebuke me for such reasoning.
As time goes on, I joined the choir, I learn drums and keyboard, I sang choir ministrations and even wrote songs for my church choir. All these while, it wasn’t clear, I was just scared to come out fully.

I got admitted into the university to study biochemistry. Being someone that is very inquisitive, I started asking so many questions in respect to the relationship between living organisms. After having background knowledge in genetics, molecular biology and biological metabolism, it was clear that every living thing are the same basically. At this point, I didn’t even understand the theory of evolution properly but I had seen the a fairly clear picture. I had to go back and then study the theory of evolution properly (took weeks), because the impression I had from secondary school was that an ape turned into human. Our biology teachers, just like every other biology teachers in Nigerian schools, were so bad at teaching the theory of evolution. Seems like a lot of them didn’t even understand it.

Fast forward, I graduated, I still believed god existed. since after I properly studied the theory of evolution, I started holding the notion that God presided over evolution and the Bible is somehow consistent with the theory of evolution. This idea was born out of the sheer fear of not wanting to sound blasphemous to my beloved ones. After I graduated, I started reading wide, I didn’t like physics in school but I started reading physics (specifically quantum and astrophysics), I discovered about Big Bang theory, theory of relativity, string theory etc, it took a lot of time before I could grasp them but when I did, it became clearer that the Bible is not consistent with anything in reality.

It was difficult for me to accept this truth because I didn’t want to be seen as a blasphemer, not until I had the opportunity to run my masters degree abroad in clinical biochemistry. I met with lot of renown and brilliant people in the field of biochemistry. They were realistic in their beliefs and will not believe anything unless you can back it with evidence. I became bolder with time, we shared ideas as I studied. Th society gives everyone liberty and I was very free to come out clean with my realistic traits. A lot of my lecturers didn’t believe in god. I became a full fledged atheist in Europe by the time I finished my program.

Today, I have done several works and I still keep reading to find the truth, so far I haven’t seen anything consistent with the Christian God. I am back in Nigeria and trust me, I don’t have lot of friends for this reason. I have just two friends and they are both agnostic ( I made them agnostic because they are open minded and also brilliant Phd holders in biochemistry).
same way my sister lost her faith. She started to read, started asking questions. wanted her faith to make sense and not believe just because she was asked to believe. when people actually want their faith to be based on truth and not neccessity, they are bound to discover the falsehood of faith.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2021
CharisEleos:

Until then, Shalom.
they have come again!
they talk as if they grew up with the person they are accusing. miss know it all. how do you know he does not have a solid background. probably you are not even a serious christian. probably you are one of those church girls that does not even read her bible, probably you are one of those that lives in sin. probably he was a man after god's heart and you are just a church goer. yet you come to tell him who he must be because you must be him
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 8:54pm On Aug 05, 2021
Ynix:

The books you read have finally confused you, let me be sincere I believe I went farther than you, please do not allow knowledge that are just fact to deceive you
confused him? if an atheist reads the bible and becomes born again, i am sure you would say "the books you have read has set you free". he has read the bible and compared to the other books he later read, the bible was not making much sense. perhaps you also need to read and leave your cave
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 8:56pm On Aug 05, 2021
kestolove95:
start studying the Qur'an.....I bet you, u will thank me lerra
all religion advertise themselves as the one. yours is no different, just repackaged Torah and gospels.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 8:58pm On Aug 05, 2021
FreedomArmy:
so what do you think is the original of the biological information found in the DNA
can you tell us what the original of the dna is, you seem to have this precious information. i would like to learn if you dont mind (except it is a secret you must guide with your life)
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 05, 2021
HardMirror:
all religion advertise themselves as the one. yours is no different, just repackaged Torah and gospels.

Religion is not helping our economy.

This evening I told a religious dude that insincere corrupt crooked politicians also pray

He replied saying God doesn't answer them
That the rich also cry(perhaps Saraki is less comfortable than people in the slums making him less cheerful � )
That I deserve to be negatively affected by the excesses of the people in government (all tiers and arms) because I never voted or contested for any public post
That I am not suffering from the economic regress as a result of a caring God's inexistence or that it has nothing to do with a caring God's inexistence

Imagine such nonsense!!!

He expects me not to complain about nonsense because there's nothing I can do about nonsense after saying God is aware of nonsense and permits nonsense despite the uselessness of nonsense!!!!!!!

What on Earth is the meaning of this nonsense in which those that refuse to be accountable and responsible for their own nonsense accuse others of being irresponsible towards what they never caused for themselves or what they couldn't avoid amidst such nonsense
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 9:21pm On Aug 05, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Religion is not helping our economy.

This evening I told a religious dude that insincere corrupt crooked politicians also pray

He replied saying God doesn't answer them
That the rich also cry(perhaps Saraki is less comfortable than people in the slums making him less cheerful � )
That I deserve to be negatively affected by the excesses of the people in government (all tiers and arms) because I never voted or contested for any public post
That I am not suffering from the economic regress as a result of a caring God's inexistence or that it has nothing to do with a caring God's inexistence

Imagine such nonsense!!!

He expects me not to complain about nonsense because there's nothing I can do about nonsense after saying God is aware of nonsense and permits nonsense despite the uselessness of nonsense!!!!!!!

What on Earth is the meaning of this nonsense in which those that refuse to be accountable and responsible for their own nonsense accuse others of being irresponsible towards what they never caused for themselves or what they couldn't avoid amidst such nonsense
he does not want you to complain, but he would be glad if you were praying obviously. i am willing to take the money of any christian, muslim or anyone as long as the only punishment i would suffer are prayers they would pray against me.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Ynix(m): 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2021
HardMirror:
confused him? if an atheist reads the bible and becomes born again, i am sure you would say "the books you have read has set you free". he has read the bible and compared to the other books he later read, the bible was not making much sense. perhaps you also need to read and leave your cave
Reading the bible does not make one a Christian for your information. Knowledge is like a river or ocean if you don't have the capacity to manage it, you will be consumed
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by HardMirror(m): 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2021
Ynix:

Reading the bible does not make one a Christian for your information. Knowledge is like a river or ocean if you don't have the capacity to manage it, you will be consumed
na so. that's how you keep hopping from one excuse to another. as if people do not actually breakdown and become born again after reading the bible. as if you have any other authority that educates you on what you should belief. i guess Punch Newspaper must be your source of your christian knowledge.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2021
HardMirror:
he does not want you to complain, but he would be glad if you were praying obviously. i am willing to take the money of any christian, muslim or anyone as long as the only punishment i would suffer are prayers they would pray against me.

Exactly!!!!!

So,the economy is doomed!!!

Those responsible for its doom accuse others of being irresponsible towards its progress or development or safety.

Imagine you accusing me of not being responsible towards saving myself after actually shooting me from the back!!!!!!!!

Imagine such baseless drama!!!!

Who writes such scripts??
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 12:19am On Aug 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

You have to take responsibility for your useless replies instead of irresponsibly repeating things in vain!!!!!!!!!

Since you have nothing useful to say, shut up or don't reply me!!!!!!!

Case closed!!!!

You know very well I'd keep responding to you when you mention me. You can of course stop paying for my data though so I can't.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 06, 2021
budaatum:

You know very well I'd keep responding to you when you mention me. You can of course stop paying for my data though so I can't.

$@#*$$_'---7744-;'*$&76_$$:++)953':'**&: zzdfbvxzfvteedvht v
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 12:24am On Aug 06, 2021
HardMirror:

I wonder how you'd define religion, Hard. Are you not religiously here?
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 12:33am On Aug 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

$@#*$$_'---7744-;'*$&76_$$:++)953':'**&: zzdfbvxzfvteedvht v

How's my mother?

https://www.nairaland.com/6476995/what-prefer#100207542
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 06, 2021
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 12:42am On Aug 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Dead
There's no way you could have killed her already, I hope!
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 12:43am On Aug 06, 2021
budaatum:

There's no way you could have killed her already, I hope!

Your hope is in vain

I never had to kill anyone

Your mother is dead

Spits
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 12:46am On Aug 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Your hope is in vain

I never had to kill anyone

Your mother is dead

Spits

She's our mother, and I'm certain you are not heartless enough to have killed her already, so say hello to her for me please.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 1:00am On Aug 06, 2021
budaatum:

She's our mother, and I'm certain you are not heartless enough to have killed her already, so say hello to her for me please.

You are wasting your time
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by budaatum: 1:11am On Aug 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

You are wasting your time
Thankfully, it's my time and not your's.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Nobody: 4:14am On Aug 06, 2021
HellVictorinho:

How does this mean God exists

God exists. Whether you believe it or not doesn't change that fact.

Have you ever thought of how and where the oxygen you breath comes from?

Have you thought of how your brain and other organs of your body were formed and wired to work and function the way they do?

You think your sleeping and waking up is by some scientific order? Think again.

God exists like the very air you breath.
Re: How I Became An Atheist. by Ynix(m): 5:28am On Aug 06, 2021
HardMirror:
na so. that's how you keep hopping from one excuse to another. as if people do not actually breakdown and become born again after reading the bible. as if you have any other authority that educates you on what you should belief. i guess Punch Newspaper must be your source of your christian knowledge.
If being born again is by christian knowledge then most professors of theology and divinity would have been frontiers of the advancement of the message of Christ but sincerely it is not.
The average apostle of Christ like Peter, John, James among others were not schooled. Moreover there were no mass production of books then.
Being in Christ that is being born again is far beyond being a bible reader, it takes a spiritual and supernatural work of God by his Holy Spirit to get that done. Have you not read as it is written, the letter kills but the spirit gives life.
Being born again is not by being knowledgeable about the Holy Scriptures else Nicodemus would have been comprehend the message of Christ to him.
See, it is good to read the Holy Bible, but it is better to be taught by those whom God have helped to be strong by reason of their experiences in life and conducts concerning the Christian life. True it is that the Holy Spirit is our teacher, but there are things we will read and will not understand except we have teachers to teach us else we get confused.
The Holy Spirit is our teacher, but the apostles including Paul kept writing letters to those saved by them for their learning and growing in the knowledge of Christ.
Reading books that gets one confused is like telling a 4 years old boy to go get the KEY OF AN SUV and drive from Lagos to Ibadan, or for a child that have not gained understanding of addition and multiplication to begin studying calculus, geometry, iteration priciples of Laplace, Randoff and Rungi kutta.
There are books that one will read with not only get one confused but also get one destroyed.
A good example is Abdul mutallab the son of the former Chairman of First Bank Nigeria, he went about seeking for Islamic knowledge and ended becoming a fanatic.

God's goal is not fanaticism, his goal is peace joy and stability. It is eccentric knowledge that creates disorder that makes people get confused causing all the problem we have.
Apostle Paul told Timothy in his letter to warn the churches he is lording to be careful of unnecessary genealogies such that create strifes and chaos.
For example what is importance of me trying to know if my grandfather is related to me when my father is there and there are dominant traits visibly evident that I am from that line of generation.
It confuses me that some people said man came out from monkeys, it is absurd and on the premise of unfounded facts just hypothesis they conclude that there is no God.
Knowledge kills and knowledge heals, it is up to us to go for that will heals and not that which heals.
I will end by saying in the beginning was the WORD, AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD AND THE WORD WAS GOD... IN HIM IS LIFE AND THE LIFE IS THE LIGHT OF MEN. SELAH

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? / COZA: Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Full Biography, Early Life, Age, Family, Net Worth / Be Sure Of Your Afterlife Before You Depart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.