Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,027 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Child Discipline According To Age Group - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Discipline According To Age Group (439 Views)

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Discipline According To Age Group by mardis: 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2021
Children discipline classified into age group. I will call it group 7s

Age 0 - 7 : This stage is mostly the playing stage. Children within this age range, are mostly referred to as babies. This is because, the child is still trying to explore and get familiar with things they find around them. The parent is expected not to use cane, spank, shout or scold sternly. The parent is expected to play and have fun with them, help them to explore things and also guide them through their curiosity. It is very hard though especially for African parents.

Age 7 - 14 : This stage is the pre adolescent stage, when the kids are mostly developmental. This stage is very important so the parent have to be very obsevant. Here the child displays most of his/her characters ,traits, skills or talents. Children within this age group can easily be influenced negatively or positively. Also in this stage peer pressure can easily comes in. The parents at this juncture can spank, use cane or apply physical punishment where necessary to maintain disciplinary measures.

Age 14 - 21 : The adolescent to adulthood stage, here the child can make decisions for themselves, can as well take responsibility for their actions. All the need from the parent is mostly lots of advice and guidance through life. The parent should not in anyway use beating as a mode of instilling discipline to children within this age group because instead of making that child you will only mar. The parent or guidan, should do more of counselling, one on one talk, appropriate correction and lots and lots of advice as i said earlier.

Well, this is my observation which i decided to put into writing. It open to opinions and comments.
Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by ezugegere(m): 4:11pm On Aug 05, 2021
mardis:
Children discipline classified into age group.

Age 0 - 7 : This stage is mostly the playing stage. Children within this age range, are mostly referred to as babies. This is because, the child is still trying to explore and get familiar with things they find around them. The parent is expected not to use cane, spank, shout or scold sternly. The parent is expected to play and have fun with them, help them to explore things and also guide them through their curiosity. It is very hard though especially for African parents.

Age 7 - 14 : This stage is the pre adolescent stage, when the kids are mostly developmental. This stage is very important so the parent have to be very obsevant. Here the child displays most of his/her characters ,traits, skills or talents. Children within this age group can easily be influenced negatively or positively. Also in this stage peer pressure can easily comes in. The parents at this juncture can spank, use cane or apply physical punishment where necessary to maintain disciplinary measures.

Age 14 - 21 : The adolescent to adulthood stage, here the child can make decisions for themselves, can as well take responsibility for their actions. All the need from the parent is mostly lots of advice and guidance through life. The parent should not in anyway use beating as a mode of instilling discipline to children within this age group because instead of making that child you will only mar. The parent or guidan, should do more of counselling, one on one talk, appropriate correction and lots and lots of advice as i said earlier.

Well, this is my observation which i decided to put into writing. It open to opinions and comments.

The parent is expected not to use cane, spank, shout or scold sternly

You're wrong, very wrong! If you don't train your child at this age, you have lost it.

2 Likes

Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by mardis: 8:07pm On Aug 05, 2021
ezugegere:

The parent is expected not to use cane, spank, shout or scold sternly

You're wrong, very wrong! If you don't train your child at this age, you have lost it.

I already said it will be difficult for African parents to abide by the first stage.
Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by Hathor5(f): 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2021
I wouldn't put children aged 0-7 in the same category. A 1-year-old and a 7-year-old are totally different. I would not even compare a 1-year-old to a 2-year-old kiddo. They change very much and very fast in this age range.
Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by Pinkzebra: 11:23am On Aug 06, 2021
Dear op, I know you meant well, but your observation isn't totally correct. Children between ages 0-7 are not in the same category, neither is children between ages 7-14.
As wrongly assumed , you start laying the foundation for positive behavior from age zero, and yes, is fine to scold a two year old and upwards. At this age, this children already understand emotions such as being happy �, sad � . Don't you see this emotions in them ?
Only that I ask parents to scold and use the right words. Condemn the behavior, not the person.
Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by mardis: 12:59pm On Aug 06, 2021
Hathor5:
I wouldn't put children aged 0-7 in the same category. A 1-year-old and a 7-year-old are totally different. I would not even compare a 1-year-old to a 2-year-old kiddo. They change very much and very fast in this age range.

It is not comparing, i am just putting them them in groups. You treat them as babies, they need more of play and fun
Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by mardis: 1:04pm On Aug 06, 2021
Pinkzebra:
Dear op, I know you meant well, but your observation isn't totally correct. Children between ages 0-7 are not in the same category, neither is children between ages 7-14.
As wrongly assumed , you start laying the foundation for positive behavior from age zero and yes, is fine to scold a two year old and upwards. At this age, this children already understand emotions such as being happy �, sad � . Don't you see this emotions in them ?
Only that I ask parents to scold and use the right words. Condemn the behavior, not the person.

You're right, i am not saying you can't scold them that is 0-7 years, but it should be in a jovial mode with soft tone.
Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by ImaIma1(f): 2:00pm On Aug 06, 2021
mardis:

You're right, i am not saying you can't scold them that is 0-7 years, but it should be in a jovial mode with soft tone.

You cannot scold in a jovial mode. When you scold, you let the child understand that what he/she did was wrong and should not do it again. You can do that smiling or jumping for joy wink. They have to know that you are not happy with what they did.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline According To Age Group by Hathor5(f): 3:27pm On Aug 06, 2021
mardis:

It is not comparing, i am just putting them them in groups. You treat them as babies, they need more of play and fun

A 7-year-old is not a baby and needs many more rules than a 1-year-old.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are Fathers Not That Important? Why Are They Taken For Granted? / I Need A Mature Woman To Marry / Always Pray To God Not To Meet Antagonists During Your Adversity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.