Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,631 members, 7,844,046 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days (9317 Views)

Poll: Does it make sense to set cement prices by presidential decree?

No, violates Econs 101.: 54% (20 votes)
Yes, that's Jonathan's duty.: 45% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Jonathan Directs Ministries & Parastatals To Submit Hand-Over Notes / Dangote, Others To Establish Plants In Owerri / Flood: Jonathan Directs Release Of Ecological Fund To Lagos! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by GODSON2009(m): 4:12pm On May 17, 2011
@edoyabi
how many people have the concrete/block internal stud wall protected from armed robbers,are they bullet proof??

EPOMA:

To divide walls inside needs pure skills, do we have places where people can learn this? no. we dont like learnin new things
there is no skills involved as such the most important thing is for the carpenter to follow the plans and for a hot climate like ours its more suited for us than the western world that is cold most of the year.
the last part of your comment is the real issue,how long do we want to continue spending that obscene amount of money on building?america didnt beg the middle east oil producing nations to reduce their prices they looked for alternatives.
another important side effect we dont seem to realise is the damage we r contributing to the ozone layer
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by odedele: 4:19pm On May 17, 2011
who is GEJ deceiving.after bankrollin your campaign, wont d DANGOTE,OTEDOLA & CO recover their billions.dis is just d beginin
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by mystikal(m): 4:28pm On May 17, 2011
I would think d reasonable thing 2 do is look at tackling the reasons for the acute increases in Cement prices.
Anyway GEJ wouldn't be the 1st to interfere in the free market, You need to show me a country's govt who hasn't at one point or the other.

Someone mentioned using wood or other materials as internal walls in houses. I have always wondered why that isn't the case. Is there a reason that is not cool?
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 17, 2011
Simple economics

Law of Demand and Supply

Abi who write JAMB for this man na?  grin
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by GODSON2009(m): 4:37pm On May 17, 2011
mystikal:

I would think d reasonable thing 2 do is look at tackling the reasons for the acute increases in Cement prices.
Anyway GEJ wouldn't be the 1st to interfere in the free market, You need to show me a country's govt who hasn't at one point or the other.

Someone mentioned using wood or other materials as internal walls in houses. I have always wondered why that isn't the case. Is there a reason that is not cool?
people dont use alternatives like wooden internal stud walls because we are resistant to change in nigeria,the funny thing is that some people will have a fenced plot o fland and save up for 10-15 years in order to have enough to build the conventional way when a fraction of the price will have built a nice sturdy contemporary house looking better than what is obtained presently.
the only places that much concrete is used these days is in building bridges,and industrial structures,
another cheap building alternative that goodluck should be promoting which is popular is pre fabricated houses
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Kashif(m): 4:41pm On May 17, 2011
The manufacturers' acceptance of the deadline means the hike was artificial! When I heard the news, I was waiting for somebody to kick against it but heard none!

They are just taking us for a ride.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 17, 2011
i knew this gej was an ass.  I knew it,  There is no competitor and ppl are building house like crase bec face me i blow you get higher competitor na,  I tell you ehnnn gej na mad man,  I dey wonder who write jamb for am,  I knew he never taught in no damn university,  He prob dnt law law of demand and supply, who are u deceiving even silly beaaf post this thing here so we can be happy, the fg has no law regulating marketing stuff, dey dnt give  out loans to ppl to competetate with dangote, it will not better for all of una and d presidential cabinet reach senate enter house of assembly enter governor minus fashola enter chairman enter councilor for this lie wey una blow. For ppl wey no go school dem,  Or is this another 2015 election campaign already, chai i don crase even fela for don dey launch album of he dey alive for this smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by kufreabasi(m): 4:50pm On May 17, 2011
1.I want to start building my house now and complete it within 3 weeks.

2. GEJ, please do something about kerosine too.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by owobokiri(m): 4:54pm On May 17, 2011
Dangote and co have been messing with the lives of many Nigerians for decades. The price of cement in Nigeria defies logic. These guys are just running a cartel and holding the country down for personal gains. If they cant crash the price, the president should liberalize the import licence.  The idea safeguarding local industries is to help manage the prices and develope the local economy. Obviously this has been defeated. What we have now is a situation where an egomaniac competing with himself to be Africas richest man is charging Nigerian outlandish sums to buy a product that sells cheaper elsewhere. It is outrageous.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by bamosagie(m): 4:56pm On May 17, 2011
Simple economics

Law of Demand and Supply

Abi who write JAMB for this man na?  

sorry mate, dont you know that demand & supply can be affected by policies and duties.
lets say FG decide to lift all duties on importation of cement, you have cheaper and better cement coming in from abroad, with the normal nigerian mentality of prefering foreign made what do you think will happen to dangote cement, eagle cement and others.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by bamosagie(m): 5:08pm On May 17, 2011
Honestly think that FG should take power project seriously. I know that the major energy companies can contribute significantly to power generation if encouraged. phcn can handle the distribution end, operational cost account for 90% hike of price of product in the market. then someone should encourage those in charge to get Sanusi to concentrate on policy that Nigeria needs not only trying to fast track Nigeria's economy to western level by shortcuts, we will get there but we must take it one step at a time. we need a proactive financial system that will encourage investment, boost income, allow saving.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Akosbaba(m): 5:10pm On May 17, 2011
this is what the exploitative private sector needs:a military-like leader
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by marvel10: 5:12pm On May 17, 2011
Thank you o, Owobokiri, People have no idea how that man owns the Nigerian customs and NPA. Just make the mistake of bringing your so called ship of cement or even rice. Whether you have a licence or not, wait and see how long it takes you to clear it. I will be watching this like a hawk.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by adconline(m): 5:45pm On May 17, 2011
There was no Ibo at the meeting?

Dont we have Ibo cement manufacturers?

GEJ must not have extended invites to fake cement manufactures. . . Maybe!

Now you that you have had your 2-minute tirade and fame, show us how would you pay N1000 less of what an Igbo man would pay for a bag of cement in your enclave.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by cinzo: 5:49pm On May 17, 2011
This post is gone.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 17, 2011
People talking about monopoly in Nigeria's cement industry are ignorant. Where is the monoply when cement makers in Nigeria are Lafarge Wapco, Ashaka, Unicem, Cement Company of Northern Nigeria, Dangote and rebaggers are Ibeto, Flour Mills, Eagle Cement and BUA cement. So where is the monopoly? How can an industry with 9 players be a monopoly?

What stops anyone from setting their own cement plant and selling at N500 so as to crash prices? We want to travel all the way to china to import dust when the raw materials to make that dust are abundant in our own backyard.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by manny4life(m): 6:26pm On May 17, 2011
kalokalo:

People talking about monopoly in Nigeria's cement industry are ignorant. Where is the monoply when cement makers in Nigeria are Lafarge Wapco, Ashaka, Unicem, Cement Company of Northern Nigeria, Dangote and rebaggers are Ibeto, Flour Mills, Eagle Cement and BUA cement. So where is the monopoly? How can an industry with 9 players be a monopoly?

What stops anyone from setting their own cement plant and selling at N500 so as to crash prices? We want to travel all the way to china to import dust when the raw materials to make that dust are abundant in our own backyard.

It can when restriction are lessened on one or two companies and more on the others; monopolistic competition is not the number of players but rather the number of market share controlled in a given industry. They might be 9 players but if Dangote controls about 50% or more of the market, there's some serious antitrust issues at hand. Hypothetically speaking, each should control at least 9% of the market if everything is equal but given the size of each company some might control a lil bit more than the other.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Wallie(m): 6:38pm On May 17, 2011
Edit------ ^^^^^+1

kalokalo:

The people talking about monopoly are not any more ignorant than you. I was one of those talking about monopoly but I should have been a lot clearer that I was generally referring to anti-competitive behaviors, and more specifically to “collusion.”

In this instance, you have an oligopoly that consists of less than a dozen companies, that appears to price fix for their mutual benefit. It doesn’t matter it the oligopoly includes a thousand companies. What matters is that the decision of a few significantly affects the market.

The danger of collusion is that increasing pricing does not result in loss of sales due to lack of alternative (licensing restriction).
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by morpheus24: 6:46pm On May 17, 2011
Wallie:

Edit------ ^^^^^+1

The people talking about monopoly are not any more ignorant than you. I was one of those talking about monopoly but I should have been a lot clearer that I was generally referring to anti-competitive behaviors, and more specifically to “collusion.”

In this instance, you have an oligopoly that consists of less than a dozen companies, that appears to price fix for their mutual benefit. It doesn’t matter it the oligopoly includes a thousand companies. What matters is that the decision of a few significantly affects the market.

The danger of collusion is that increasing pricing does not result in loss of sales due to lack of alternative (licensing restriction).

Then you should have said Oligopoly in the first place to clarify on your point.

Price ceilings in complex global marketing systems, influenced by numerous external factors that dictate supply and demand, is not sustainable simply because Mr. President wants to pose for us. Not much sound economical reasoning.

In the short run artificially pegging these prices to pacify the massess will result in larger increases in future prices stemming from speculative predictions of where the price of cement is of course likely to head

If successful I suggest those who want to build better stack wharehouses of cement while the price is down cause its going to be a short ride baby hehehehehe!
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 17, 2011
ABUJA — PIQUED by the soaring prices of cement in the country, President Goodluck Jonathan, Monday, summoned the Chairman of Dangote Group, and other cement manufacturers with a directive to crash the prices of the product within 30 days period or [b]face the wrath of the government.[/b]

Whatever is the wrath of government. grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by morpheus24: 6:57pm On May 17, 2011
belabela:

ABUJA — PIQUED by the soaring prices of cement in the country, President Goodluck Jonathan, Monday, summoned the Chairman of Dangote Group, and other cement manufacturers with a directive to crash the prices of the product within 30 days period or [b]face the wrath of the government.[/b]

Whatever is the wrath of government. grin grin grin grin

beats me too?
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Wallie(m): 6:58pm On May 17, 2011
morpheus24:

Then you should have said Oligopoly in the first place to clarify on your point.

Price ceilings in complex global marketing systems, influenced by numerous external factors that dictate supply and demand, is not sustainable simply because Mr. President wants to pose for us. Not much sound economical reasoning.

In the short run artificially pegging these prices to pacify the massess will result in larger increases in future prices stemming from speculative predictions of where the price of cement is of course likely to head

If successful I suggest those who want to build better stack wharehouses of cement while the price is down cause its going to be a short ride baby hehehehehe!

I did say “oligopolies” in passing a few posts ago but I focused on the word “monopoly” because people will understand my point better without me having to go into a diatribe.

You are right about the price ceiling which is why the president needs knowledgeable people on his team. A president/leader is only as smart as his advisors.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by dayokanu(m): 7:06pm On May 17, 2011
[size=18pt]The same thing Buhari did by fixing the prices of comodities in 1984 and many GEJ campaigners lampooned him for it

Fresh air indeed with Buhari 1984 flavour[/size]
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 17, 2011
dayokanu:

[size=18pt]The same thing Buhari did by fixing the prices of comodities in 1984 and many GEJ campaigners lampooned him for it

Fresh air indeed with Buhari 1984 flavour[/size]
grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
buhari is a genius hahahahaha
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by bamosagie(m): 7:42pm On May 17, 2011
Fortunately GEJ have not said he is embarking on price ceiling, as a matter of fact i think he is going to encourage importation of cement from abroad, and of course through new players, then he will allow market force to dictate price.
I also think the manufacturers are aware of this and would dread such handicapped competition, hence their willingness to work with the 30 days mandate.
long run effect will negate on our economy as many may find it cheaper and easier to import than produce leading to job lost & tilted balance of trade. if there is anything like necessary evil, this situation qualify for one.
only power sector reform would gurantee a change in the right direction.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by jmaine: 8:12pm On May 17, 2011
At the end of the meeting, which lasted about four hours, both sides agreed to address challenges identified as the reasons for the development.

The Federal Government promised to ensure the availability of diesel at reduced prices for the manufacturers.

The scarcity and high cost of diesel was mentioned by the manufacturers as one of the factors responsible for the hike in the price of cement.

On their part, the manufacturers, under the aegis of Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, made a commitment to increase production and liberalise distribution.

The embolden part erases the Buhari factor you all trying to factor in . . .They stated their problems and the federal government promised to alleviate them to ease their production cost and the resolution was a mutual agreement.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110517325612
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 17, 2011
manny4life:

It can when restriction are lessened on one or two companies and more on the others; monopolistic competition is not the number of players but rather the number of market share controlled in a given industry. They might be 9 players but if Dangote controls about 50% or more of the market, there's some serious antitrust issues at hand. Hypothetically speaking, each should control at least 9% of the market if everything is equal but given the size of each company some might control a lil bit more than the other.

Dangote controls the major share of the market because he has invested the most (billions of $$) in building new plants and expanding existing ones. Where were you when he was building and expanding Obajana, Ibese, Benue. Where were you when the guy was investing billions in thousands of trailers for product movement? Why won't he have the dominant share when his cement is readily available in every state in Nigeria whereas the other cement firms are localized by region.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 17, 2011
Wallie:

Edit------ ^^^^^+1

Nothing stops anyone in Nigeria from setting up his own cement plant and undersell the existing players. why should we be importing something we have no business importing?

Cement is expensive in Nigeria due to poor power supply and poor transportation infrastructure. Producing cement is a very power intensive venture. Dangote Cement Plc for instance spends N150 million a day (imagine that!) on diesel for their mining equipment, trucks and operations. Low Pour Fuel Oil  is also scarce and prohibitively expensive. Cement is also a bulk product that is best conveyed by rail but  has to be transported in Nigeria on very bad roads.

Based on that, cement cannot be cheap. Apparently you prefer destroying local manufacturers of cement just so you can have your cheap dust from china. Mind you, Yaradua tried the same thing and opened the flood-gates of importation and it failed! Why? Local manufacturers simply stopped selling cement and the price skyrocketed thereby defeating the populist postures of Yaradua. The government should subsidize diesel to the manufacturers and fix the bad roads. Then let supply and demand economics dictate prices. Doing so by state fiat will not work!
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by nsiadi: 10:53pm On May 17, 2011
No doubt GEJ has been responding swiftly 2 events. But this fire brigade approach isnt d best. The govt shd be more proactive in her approach 2 issues. Let the key institutions be adequately strengthened. Let knowledgeable ppl be called upon 2 manage the strategic fields. Let him assemble d best available hands. The issue of party patronage & zoning shdnt allow excellence 2 suffer. GEJ shd properly approach ppl wt cute knowledge 2 our problems. We hv a lot of them, in many spheres. Sycophants shd not be allowed 2 obscure his vision. He shd rehabilitate OBJ & ask him 2 allow him do his job. We voted 4 him & will not accept excuses. Those dead woods in PDP shd allow him give us his best. We believe he has good intentions for us.

Good policies, thats what we need. These policies will push all the other things right. He doesnt need to burn up. He shd let out steam & shake off all cowardice. That way ppl wl love him more & our country will be best for it.

Otherwise, even if d cement price comes down soon, there is no guarantee that those factors that pushed it up will not re-surface.
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 17, 2011
hehehehe i will continue to laugh at this economic fool called GEJ , lol
Nigeria produces only 30% of cement consumed and the rest 70% is imported to meet local demand.With the rise of commodities and the weakening Naira.How does he expect to wave a magic wand and all will be as he proposes.
Nigeria is the only country that uses 25% of its budget to service his legislators and more to the executives, NNPC has never been aduited until recently with a whooping defict of =N=400b, Now CBN gov says we cant spend more than =N=150k when the real problem is the spending of the excess crude account by the said arms of government, Today they promise this and that, one month is not far away we will see if this can work,
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by benimeogu(f): 11:27pm On May 17, 2011
If
Re: Jonathan Directs Dangote, Others To Crash Cement Prices Within 30 Days by Nobody: 12:35am On May 18, 2011
I think that the government is on the right track by stepping in.

To people questioning whether Nigeria is a capitalist economy, Nigeria sure is but the cement industry is not a “free market.” In other words, new market entrants are not allowed to come in because the government grants exclusive rights to produce/import cement to the selected 5 companies (or however many they are).

Whenever there’s a restriction on new market entrants due to nature of the business, the government has no choice but to create some kind of regulation to govern the oligarchy. In a free market, business people will be allowed to import/produce cement if they have the money to fund such a venture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Proves To Be The Worst Leader! / Jonathan's Brother Died Of Cardiac Arrest / Opening Ceremony Of Tokyo International Conference On African Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.