Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,073 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me (20725 Views)

Pat Utomi: APC Is Now Worse Than Jonathan's PDP Government / Emir Of Daura, Umar: Insecurity Now Worse Than Civil War / 'corruption Is Official' - Atiku Releases 10 Questions Buhari Must Answer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by MakotoShishio: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2021
…describes himself as a saint

…lists qualifications of President Nigeria needs in 2023

…discards zoning system

Former military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, IBB has said that the corruption index in the country is worse and more pervasive at the moment than his time in power.

He said they were saints compared to the people in power now.

IBB was a military dictator who ruled Nigeria from 1985 when he staged a palace coup that ousted General Muhammadu Buhari, the current President of Nigeria from office to 1993 shortly after he annulled June 12 Presidential election that provided late MKO Abiola as the President-elect.

IBB spoke to Arise Television on Friday during its breakfast programme “Morning Show” monitored by our Correspondent in Abuja.

He recalled sacking an unnamed governor during his regime for misappropriating N313,000, an amount which could in the present times described as paltry.

The former military President said that it was in the place of the opposition political party and Nigerians at large to assess the government of All Progressives Congress, APC on its campaign promises especially on the anti-corruption fight.

He said: “You can’t compare it with the facts on the ground now. From what I read, from the analyses, I think we are saints when compared to what is happening under a democratic dispensation. I sacked a governor of a state for misappropriating less than N313,000.

“Today, billions are there on the streets. Those who have stolen billions, they are in court and are now parading themselves in the streets. So, who is better in fighting corruption?

On assessment of APC govt

“That’s where politics comes. Somebody now will come and say APC when it made the promise on three planks; Nigerians voted for them on three planks: economy, corruption and security. So, it for Nigerians to decide, have these been met?

“I will rather wait and see what the other party will react. If they convince me that they didn’t succeed in these and they show me proofs, I will go for them.”

On the kind of president Nigeria needs in 2023

Speaking further, IBB detailed the qualifications of the persons who should aspire to lead the country in 2023.

He however said that idea of zoning the Presidency amongst the regions in the country should not significantly matter.

“You allow the process to continue but it’s through the process that you will be able to come out with a candidate that will lead the country. His qualifications, his beliefs should be known to Nigerians before somebody ever throws his hat into the ring regardless of where he comes from.

Idea of zoning

“Whether we do it now or we don’t, we will have to do it. Time will come when somebody will emerge in this country, (whether) he is from Okpela or from Minna, the thing is that everybody knows him, everybody tends to accept what he believes in and then, if he throws his hat, and you say, yes, I have heard that name before. Why not?

“I have started visualizing a good Nigerian leader. A person who travels in this country and has friends virtually everywhere he travels. He knows at least one person that he can communicate with. A person who is very vast in economic development and a good politician who should be able to talk to Nigerians. I have seen one or two or three already in their 60s”, the former military leader said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/corruption-worse-now-than-in-my-regime-ibb/

7 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by PrinceOfLagos: 3:12pm On Aug 06, 2021
Not far from the truth

Buhari government encourages corruption

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by leofab(f): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2021
These senile old men… I don’t blame neither of them.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by duro4chang(m): 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2021
Can you imagine? Babangida can now talk.It actually shows that Buhari is the worst president. Babangida that everybody believes he introduced corruption has mouth to talk.

185 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by clarocuzioo(m): 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2021
Chaii!! Buhari corruption has made IBB a Saint.

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Buckeyemedia1: 3:36pm On Aug 06, 2021
clarocuzioo:
Chaii!! Buhari corruption has made IBB a Saint.
What corruption? That you Nigerians are more corrupt minded today than in the 20th century? Since you were born, has anyone accused President Buhari of stealing money?

22 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Buckeyemedia1: 3:40pm On Aug 06, 2021
duro4chang:
Can you imagine? Babangida can now talk.It actually shows that Buhari is the worst president. Babangida that everybody believes he introduced corruption has mouth to talk.
Some Nairalanders no just get common sense, Who is the Governor of your state? He has probably stolen more money than the top ministers combined.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Dozis: 3:40pm On Aug 06, 2021
True talk, the corruption right now is worst than all previous governments combined together since independence.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Buckeyemedia1: 3:41pm On Aug 06, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:
Not far from the truth

Buhari government encourages corruption
Words from a corrupt semen, I don’t blame what is of a corrupt nature, can only be corrupt.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by clarocuzioo(m): 3:41pm On Aug 06, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
What corruption? That you Nigerians are more corrupt minded today than in the 20th century? Since you were born, has anyone accused President Buhari of stealing money?

Even Buhari has admitted has admitted his administration is corrupt.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Buckeyemedia1: 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2021
clarocuzioo:

Even Buhari has admitted has admitted his administration is corrupt.
Admitted that you Nigerians love corruption, that it is in your DNA, you cannot teach a clown new tricks. Police man collect money it is Buhari, your papa collect bribe for office, it is President Buhari?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by clarocuzioo(m): 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Admitted that you Nigerians love corruption, that it is in your DNA, you cannot teach a clown new tricks. Police man collect money it is Buhari, your papa collect bribe for office, it is President Buhari?

Oga stop talking nonsense. Buhari is corrupt. The Aso Rock clinic has spent #16B over four years and yet there is no paracetamol. This revelation was made by Aisha Buhari herself. The interesting thing is that the corruption in Chief is yet to prosecute anybody for this great corruption happening right u der his nose.

One his campaign.mantra is fighting corruption, but today anybody that is corrupt and crosses over to APC, his sins are forgiven.

please everybody does not reason with #30k.

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by TempUser: 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2021
Babangida, you are a part of the problem.
May the devil that betrayed you all never depart from you.

NJH

2 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by socialmediaman: 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2021
Very true! The despot in Aso Rock is now more corrupt than the former king of corruption, IBB

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by tobtap: 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2021
i concur.... dis govt beat ur govt for kwaruption cool cool

13 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Ifabernard(m): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2021
Tief crucifying tief.
Spit

4 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Doggedseller: 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2021
Yes sir

1 Like

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by daddytime(m): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2021
This might sound like some satire, but it is nothing but an ironic truth which makes this a huge indictment on this administration bearing in mind how rotten and deviant IBB's military regime was.

Talk about a demon seeing wetin pass am and shouting " Jesus Christ".

16 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Teewhy2: 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2021
For Babaginda to call themselves saints compared to this democratic government that means "it is finished"

Do you need to False Ceiling?
Looking for a ceiling without water map due to water leakage from roof?
Try to reduce your building load with the use of polystyrene material.
Polystyrene false ceiling got you covered.
Get to know more by clicking below.

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene/21

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by tishbite41(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
Shame no dey catch una

See trophy wey una dey drag

Bleep the Nought.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by greencard: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
All thief na thief
Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Chijeep(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
L
Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by elonmuskbaby: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
Joor gbenu soun jare.armed robber dey call Yahoo boy thief

Urgent 2k cyber/twitter oloshos dey call road side olosho runs babe

2 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Grace001: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
Even Babangida is proving saint for corruption for where Buhari Dey.

What a shame, and to Buhari he is really fighting corruption

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Hausaman(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
clarocuzioo:

Oga stop talking nonsense. Buhari is corrupt. The Aso Rock clinic has spent #16B over four years and yet there is no paracetamol. This revelation was made by Aisha Buhari herself. The interesting thing is that the corruption in Chief is yet to prosecute anybody for this great corruption happening right u der his nose.

One his campaign.mantra is fighting corruption, but today anybody that is corrupt and crosses over to APC, his sins are forgiven.

please everybody does not reason with #30k.

Africans love corruption, most especially black Africans. It in our DNA. PMB case is worst because he betrayed our common & national interest, of making Nigeria corruption free. While GEJ the clueless was a case of state certifying corruption.

"Stealing is not corruption"
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Ex-President 2009-2015

2 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Ofunaofu: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
grin

The Maradona

At least there was corruption then.

What we are comparing is the scale of corruption.

A governor was sacked then from office for misappropriating ₦313,000

But now billions of dollars are being misappropriated

2 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by Circuitlord(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
Yes We Know, now stfu!
IBB is the key destroyer of Nigeria. June 12 will never be forgotten because of this man, booo!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by ImmaculateJOE(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
@leatst he admitted there was corruption under his administration.

Question is.... Will Buhari and his BMCs admit same??

5 Likes

Re: Babangida: Corruption Is Now Worse Than It Was Under Me by osuofia2(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2021
I stand to disagree with IBB. Buhari is incorruptible. That is why we should never give Tinubu and Orji Uzor Kalu a chance of becoming the president. If by chance any of them becomes the president then i wail for our common wealth.
Tambuwal for president

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Adeyeye: Buhari Has No Choice But To Leave In 2023 / Court Affirms Iyorchia Ayu's Sack As PDP National Chairman / Rabiu Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike Over Death Of Emmanuel Aguma (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.