Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria (37017 Views)

Share Your Experience On Being Jobless In Nigeria / Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / Jobless First Class Graduate Gets Instant Employment After PREMIUM TIMES Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by hyzich(m): 3:48pm On Aug 11, 2021
adonaimart:

Calm downnn.

I feel your resume ain't cool.

You need to write it to represent you professionally.

If you are ready to write your resume and increase your chances of getting interviews, WhatsApp me for a free resume review and guidance.

If you belong to those youths who believe you only get a job through connection, pls don't bother to get in touch

Some of them do not have good and detailed linkedin profile

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by AbdoolAY(m): 3:48pm On Aug 11, 2021
First of all, the title of this thread should be corrected, please. It is a bit embarrassing.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by dododawa1: 3:49pm On Aug 11, 2021
Chief priests cubana is 7th class and buhari is 8th class,stay there with certificate,This is planted on false and idiot leaders,must everyone schooled.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by hyzich(m): 3:52pm On Aug 11, 2021
sim2003:
I had 2.1 in civil engineering in 2011. I worked in a media organization for one government for a period of 6 yrs. The appointment was terminated in 2018 after the end of the tenure. The problem now is that all my experience has been in a media organization not in a construction firm.

You can build your career in MCC(Media, communication and Creative) or Branding etc. They are now sought after because coys now care about branding and their image
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:56pm On Aug 11, 2021
InvertedHammer:
/
If you are an unemployed first class graduate, it means that you don't deserve it because you didn't learn anything. Craming and vomiting the contents of books is not intelligence. Define education.

/
If Dem insult u now u gode cry... The guy from ebonyi who got scholarship to America after someone wrote about him no Worth im first class for mathematics abi...

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by hosemujica: 3:59pm On Aug 11, 2021
Autodidact101:
Sorry to say, but Nigerians are too obsessed with this first class of a thing. You go to university in Nigeria, chew, and regurgitate everything you learned back to them. Graduate with a first class on paper but have no practical knowledge of anything. At the end of the day, you're jobless. You shouldn't be jobless with a first class or 2:1. You need to start looking beyond that paper otherwise you'd be stuck forever.
Be ready o, they are coming for you agent of truth.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Moneywell(f): 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2021
VTJN:
We are littered all over the state of the federation. I also came out top of my class. But i don't decieve myself i have no one to run to concerning job. Getting a job on merit isn't feasible anymore in this clime. Particularly, government jobs.

I recently got a transcription job. I'm likely to lose the job due to my inability to get a system.

I'll be rounding off my service soon. Yet no job in sight. Got some cool business ideas, don't have access to loan

Got no connection, nothing nothing

I'm losing my mind seriously

Your story is touching , wish I could help. But you don't have to lose your mind because of that. Keep pushing, there's light at the end of the tunnel for sure.
Please would appreciate if you link me up on how to get a transcription job
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Philip4564(m): 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2021
hyzich:

Exactly bro, We really need to take out that mentality that there is no job. I know of a first-class from EKSU that stayed back in Ekiti and hoping jobs will come. This dude is so brilliant but stayed at Imole-ekiti praying and hoping that someday Shell will be so nice to come hand over a letter to him at home. I told him to move over to Lag and let's explore every opportunity, guess what my guy is now with KPMG chopping life. We need to know that first class is not the end itself but a means to the end and we should not just rely on white-collar jobs alone
bro pls what is KPMG??

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by OShepherd: 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2021
Autodidact101:
Sorry to say, but Nigerians are too obsessed with this first class of a thing. You go to university in Nigeria, chew, and regurgitate everything you learned back to them. Graduate with a first class on paper but have no practical knowledge of anything. At the end of the day, you're jobless. You shouldn't be jobless with a first class or 2:1. You need to start looking beyond that paper otherwise you'd be stuck forever.
Unfortunately, Life offers more than classroom grades & the saddest part of our education is that those that give lecturers word for word gets 2.1 or firstClass while those who understands the course & life's philosophies end up with 2.2 and they are the ones getting ahead in life (my mindset changed towards rote learning when I discovered this hard truth wayback 2003 when I was about to graduate), I believe more in people than immersing myself in books&grades: dont get me wrong, I love education(infact, You need to see my Library) but I believe more in those I meet along my Academic paths & thats why I find life quite enjoyable & interesting, FirstClass/2.1 is superb but Humanity is the Surest!!! Best of Luck Dear!!!
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 11, 2021
Evii:
7 REASONS WHY DEGREE HOLDERS ARE POOR?*

*Gbenga Adebambo*
The Guardian

BASICALLY, there are seven reasons why degree holders are poor.

*1. THEY DON’T THINK BEYOND THEIR CERTIFICATES*

Albert Einstein said, “Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think.” Have you ever heard creativity term “Think outside the box”? One of the major reasons why most graduates are poor is simply because they can’t see and think beyond their certificates.
I have seen engineering students work as bankers. I have seen medical doctors with great skills in web and graphic designs. I have seen lawyers that are very dexterous with finances. The list is endless!

The basic truth of life is that the skills that are needed to be much sought after and become more successful in life are not really found within the walls of the classrooms. Your certificate is just a proof that you are teachable, it does not suggest what you are totally capable of doing. You are full of possibilities when you think beyond your degrees and certificates.

*2. THEY PRIORITIZE THEIR CERTIFICATES MORE THAN THEIR GIFTS AND TALENTS*

I have often advised some of my colleagues, never to leave their gifts dormant while pursuing and hunting for jobs with their certificates. There must be a complementary balance in the pursuit of your passion and in the search for jobs.

Everybody is gifted for something, but the winning edge comes from our ability to work on our gifts and bless the world with it. The very best way to develop yourself is in the direction of your natural talents and interest. In order to live a fulfilled and impactful life, we need to work harder on our gift than our job. We need to discover our gift, develop it, and sell it. Don’t bury your TALENT with your certificates.

*3. THEIR CERTIFICATES PREPARE THEM FOR A WORLD THAT NO LONGER EXIST*

It has been found that most of the skills taught in schools are becoming obsolete in the present world. The world has changed a lot, and so are people’s need! It is imperative to know that the present form of university education does not prepare students for the future.

Graduates are becoming endangered species in the face of a changing world. Our archaic methods and approaches of learning are preparing graduates for a world that no longer exist, as we are churning out degree holders every year with certificates that have face value but no intrinsic worth. Most learning institutions are filled up with lecturers and pseudo-educators with lecture notes, methods and approaches that have lost relevance in a changing world.

*4. THEY KNOW LESS ABOUT THEMSELVES BUT MORE ABOUT THINGS*

Certificates and degrees don’t reveal people to themselves; they at most measure our IQ (Intelligent Quotient). I have often tell people that there is no Recovery without Discovery. A poor man is simply someone that has not discovered himself.

The more you discover yourself, the more you realize the treasures that are hidden deep within you. We carry inside ourselves latent treasures that can only be unveiled through self-discovery.

*5. CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES CAN KILL INITIATIVES*

Degrees and certificates can close up your minds to ideas while initiatives open it up. If you are not careful, your degrees and certificates can close up your mind. The purpose of education is to keep your mind perpetually opened towards limitless possibilities!

Fred Smith saw an opportunity for overnight delivery of anything anywhere in the USA, and ultra-fast delivery anywhere in the world, FedEx was born. It will be interesting to know that Fred Smith got a grade “C” in a Yale economics class for an idea that the professor belittled as unworkable.
Fred Smith’s company became the first American business to make over ten billion dollars in annual profit. Beginning with just 186 packages delivered the first night, FedEx now delivers in over two hundred countries using over 6,030 aircraft, 46,000 vehicles and 141,000 employees.

*6. DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES POSITION YOU TO LOOK FOR JOBS AND NOT FOR OPPORTUNITIES*

Our certificates and degrees prepare graduates to look for jobs and not open our eyes to life-changing opportunities. You are not poor because you don’t have a job; you are poor because you are not seeing and seizing opportunities.

Being POOR is simply Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly! What keeps people ahead in life is not their education or degrees, it is simply the opportunity that they seized. Jobs may be scarce but not opportunities.

As long as there is a problem to be solved, there will always be opportunities. It is a waste of our education, exposure, and experiences if after we graduate from school, all we think about is searching for a job. An enlightened and educated mind should be able to see and seize opportunities.

*7. CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES PREPARE PEOPLE TO LOOK FOR SECURITY AND NOT TO TAKE RISKS*

We must be willing to make mistakes and take breakthrough risks. Taking risks and learning from mistakes help us in knowing what works and what does not! When Thomas Edison was being questioned by a mischievous journalist on how he felt for having failed for 999 times before getting the idea of the light bulb, his response stunned the whole world when he confidently said, “I have not failed 999 times, I have only learned 999 ways of how not to make a light bulb”.

Many graduates and degree holders are becoming progressively poor because the skills required in the modern world to get rich are not taught in schools and institutions.

By 2025, we’ll lose over five million jobs to automation. This means that future jobs will look vastly different by the time many people graduate from the university.

*Future jobs will involve KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION/CREATION* and innovation, and people that are only equipped with skills found in the classroom will definitely be a misfit in an ever-changing world. Skills like critical thinking, creativity, people’s skill, STEM skills (e.g Coding), complex problem-solving skills etc. are central to living a more comprehensive and productive life.

THEREFORE, in conclusion, my humble and candid advice to graduates and students in institutions is to think wide, deep and outside the box. Take voluntary jobs, and don’t be afraid to navigate fields that are different from your field of learning. Your future career will require you to pull information from many different fields to come up with creative solutions to future problems.
Start by reading as much as you can about anything and everything that interests you. Once you get to college, consider double majoring or minoring in completely different fields. Trust me, it’ll pay off in the long run.

Don’t limit yourself to the classroom. Do something practical. Take a leadership position. Start a business and fail; that’s a better entrepreneurship. Contest an election and lose. It will teach you something political science will not teach you. Attend a seminar. Read books outside the scope of your course.

Think less of becoming an excellent student, but think more of becoming an excellent person. Don’t make the classroom your world, but make the world your classroom. Step forward and try something extra.

Invest in something you believe! Real financial security and freedom is not in your job, but in your passion, gifts, talents, and your ability to see and seize opportunities.
I agree with your points but I don't fully agree on number 1 point. It's part of the reasons Nigeria is not working as it ought to. Right people in the wrong places, it's part of why our systems are in rot today.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 4:11pm On Aug 11, 2021
OGHENAOGIE:
If Dem insult u now u gode cry... The guy from ebonyi who got scholarship to America after someone wrote about him no Worth im first class for mathematics abi...
/
He was self-employed. He didn't sit back in the house bitching about unemployment. Most morons with paper certificates think they are too good to be useful in other areas other than their areas of specialty.
/
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by dettolgel: 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2021
arthurwillia:

Wow I’ve not heard of this before oo
Can we talk more please, drop your email please

Sorry I don't remember the email I open this account with. Secondly I don't want to drop my personal email here.

But you can ask me any question. I will answer. The good thing is that people that may have experienced same will also contribute and you will have a robust response to your questions.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Mexyz(m): 4:16pm On Aug 11, 2021
Philip4564:
bro pls what is KPMG??
Oga use Google to educate yourself and stop asking for something you can actually find out yourself..
KPMG is one of the top 4 professional firm providing Audit, tax and advisory services to Companies/govt/corporations worldwide, others being PwC, Ernst&young and Deloitte.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 11, 2021
Basorbala:
There are many , when i mean many like thousands of first class students with second class upper certificate living in Nigeria who are either jobless or living less privilege ( below normal life expectance in Nigeria. Let's gathere here today !

I no know if my own high compared with wetin I dey see here.
4.18 cgpa
B.Eng Chemical Engineering.
NYSC 2020
Na God just dey use small digital skill dey give me food but it doesn't come always. Sometimes, I just get tired but God dey sha. I have resolved to acquire more ICT skills pending when I go get job.
Abeg if my helper dey nl, make e contact me ooo. Sapa is real aswear cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by hyzich(m): 4:18pm On Aug 11, 2021
Philip4564:
bro pls what is KPMG??

KPMG is an accounting Firm and is regarded as one of the Big 4
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by sim2003: 4:21pm On Aug 11, 2021
How do I go about that?

hyzich:

You can build your career in MCC(Media, communication and Creative) or Branding etc. They are now sought after because coys now care about branding and their image
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by hyzich(m): 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2021
sim2003:
How do I go about that?

I believe you were in that department
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by VTJN(m): 4:26pm On Aug 11, 2021
komodapson:

Infact, I was puzzled when I read people comments...What really happened to our comprehension skills? Which one is "First Class student with a Second class upper certificate"...is either you are a first class graduate or not.... There's nothing like First Class student with second class upper certificate... Is either you're there or not, that's why they are called "graduate class(es) "

I quite understood the context of his headline, meaning for students on the verge, 5.9 or those who dropped from 6.0 to 5.9...but in all, you're still not in that category..lmao... If you get am, you get am. No be "I for get am" or lame excuse "the lecturer doesn't like me"
He probably was talking about 1.1 and 2.1 graduates

Perhaps, there was a typo in his statements
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by dejavubobo1(m): 4:27pm On Aug 11, 2021
I ve been out since 2012, good grades (3.98).
But still the system has a way of failing it's products.

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by NextBuhari: 4:36pm On Aug 11, 2021
YelloweWest:

You married a genius. Your kids will be super smart
Not always the case.
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 4:42pm On Aug 11, 2021
hyzich:

Exactly bro, We really need to take out that mentality that there is no job. I know of a first-class from EKSU that stayed back in Ekiti and hoping jobs will come. This dude is so brilliant but stayed at Imole-ekiti praying and hoping that someday Shell will be so nice to come hand over a letter to him at home. I told him to move over to Lag and let's explore every opportunity, guess what my guy is now with KPMG chopping life. We need to know that first class is not the end itself but a means to the end and we should not just rely on white-collar jobs alone

So true. Reminds me of the best graduating student of my class back then (2006). Dude was like if he secures a N25k job in Osogbo, he will be fine. I told him I would help him apply to schools abroad for his postgraduate studies. Dude is with Shell now and you would wonder if he still remembers those funny thoughts of him.

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Fab21: 4:45pm On Aug 11, 2021
Basorbala:
it's still in you that genius ability to do something unique

I graduated with 4.45

So painful.

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Drella(m): 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2021
Thermodynamics:
It's not easy graduating from a Nigerian university, wether 3rd class or 2nd class lower.
It's not easy to leave your certificate you worked[s][/s] suffered for and just open a barbing salon all in the name of being an entrepreneur. After writing jamb and post ume for years, after spending 4-5 years running around campus, getting threatened by lecturers, starving, having sleepless nights e.t.c, you finally graduate and you are expected to just ditch your engineering degree and start selling cement. There is a reason why most graduates are not entrepreneurs, their lives are already in a certain direction, change it and making a complete U-turn is not easy at all.

That starving is my own problem.Ate the last food I have at home by 6:30am this morning.
Currently, it's as if I'm dying.
I'm Still an undergraduate o.Now they are saying no job for graduates.Both undergraduate and graduates are suffering...Seems school is a mistake!

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by BennyDGreat: 4:55pm On Aug 11, 2021
sim2003:
I had 2.1 in civil engineering in 2011. I worked in a media organization for one government for a period of 6 yrs. The appointment was terminated in 2018 after the end of the tenure. The problem now is that all my experience has been in a media organization not in a construction firm.

Look for another media org and enter

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Macgyver1: 5:05pm On Aug 11, 2021
Space booked. Second class upper
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by Eldinot4(m): 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2021
VTJN:
We are littered all over the state of the federation. I also came out top of my class. But i don't decieve myself i have no one to run to concerning job. Getting a job on merit isn't feasible anymore in this clime. Particularly, government jobs.

I recently got a transcription job. I'm likely to lose the job due to my inability to get a system.

I'll be rounding off my service soon. Yet no job in sight. Got some cool business ideas, don't have access to loan

Got no connection, nothing nothing

I'm losing my mind seriously

Hi pls where can i apply for transcription jobes please?
Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by pawesome(m): 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2021
doctor306:

First advice

Leave badagry ...
leave Lagos

1 Like

Re: First Class Students With Second Class Upper Certificate Jobless In Nigeria by MyExpression(m): 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2021
VTJN:

Oga use that your last double allowee to buy laptop.

Quit with the excuses already.
Be positive.

Don't dwell on the problem, think of possible achievable solutions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips / Why We Collect N40k From Nigeria Peace Corps Applicants - National Commandant / Army Recruitment Shortlist: What I Noticed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.