Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,472 members, 7,954,846 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:47 AM

The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past (32507 Views)

Music, Dance: What Gave Fulani Youths Joy In The Past (Video, Pictures) / Restrictions Of Movement Around the Oba of Benin Palace? / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2021
Prior to joining Nairaland, I only hear about delusions, but since joining I actually engaged deluded folks, i.e. folks from the back-water known as Benin kingdom.

It’s almost as if your oba banned you all from making use of your brains.

First of all, I can only imagine what you all regurgitate into one another’s mouths about other people (e.g. Our oba cOnQuErEd the world from Edo state to Japan).

However, I would have expected that adults (and 21st century adults for that matter) like you all would know that such statements are only as vain as kids’ “My daddy is the strongest in the world” statements.

Every single group in the olden days must have made such delusional-cum-false vainglorious claims. Those claims are not necessarily corroborated at the other end (e.g. Akure, Lagos, Japan, etc.).

Other people in the modern world have realized this fact. Binis, on the other hand, seem to have been left behind and stuck in delusions.

Not only that, you all seem shocked that others don’t accept your delusions. Psychiatrists have got work to do in Benin kingdom if only they knew how many are the patients roaming there.

Abohboy:
[s]The Deji of Akure and poother indigenes of Ondo know through oral stories that the Bini once ruled over them and we know because of the British and also Ijebu oral stories that the Bini took other parts of Lagos I don't see what you're trying to deny although the source is by a bini man the point still stands the story he is talking about is dated back to the 15th-216th century at the peak of Bini power in Nigeria meanwhile your sources are dated to the 18th century when the decline in Bini power started so it's no surprise that the Nupe and Yoruba were able to take back large swathes of land from them[/s]
In the hope that I can cure your delusions, I will cite to you what the Akure (and Eastern Yoruba frontier in general) & Lagos traditions say regarding their respective link, or relationship with Benin kingdom.

Oh by the way, bRiTiSh & IjEbU oRaL sToRiEs say no such crap as you’ve insinuated in your above heap of crap. ‘Weytin be bRiTiSh oRaL sToRiEs sef’? undecided

Now to the traditions of Akure (& the Eastern frontier in general) as you’ve requested:

An interesting perspective on this subject was given by the Oore of Otun[-Ekiti] to this author during visits to the Otun palace in the 1970s.* According to the Oore, the true picture was that Ekiti kingdoms did not really see Benin as an enemy. The Oba of Benin was regarded as a “brother” to some Ekiti kings. Paying tribute to the Oba of Benin was out of the question. In Ado and Akure where bloody battles occurred, there were a special factors at work. ~ Prof. S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People,” Amalion Publishing, 2010, p.216-217.

Before moving to what the “special factors at work” in Akure, etc. are; I would like to remind you about what should have been obvious to any normal person, viz.

Engaging in battles, conflicts with a group is not one and the same thing as being “ruled over”.

Now to the specific factors leading to the conflict with Benin by the Akures, et al.:

According to Owo traditions, a large colony of Benin traders sprang up in Owo and a large colony of Owo traders sprang up in Benin. From Owo, Benin trade spread rapidly into Ekiti and Akoko. Akure, to the north of Owo, became a major center of Benin trade, with a large colony of Benin traders.

Wherever there was a sizeable colony of Benin traders, they had the habit of organizing themselves into a community with its own “chiefs,” topped by a head chief with the title of Olotu-Ado or Olotu Ekiran. They also developed the practice of sending their tributes to the Oba of Benin through their Olotu Ado. Usually, these head chiefs wanted to be seen and treated as representatives of the Oba of Benin. Their unmet expectations in this regard came to play some part in causing conflicts with Benin. According to Akure traditions, the first coming of Benin troops to Akure, during the reign of Oba Ewuare of Benin in about the middle of the fifteenth century, was caused by a major confrontation between the Akure government and the leadership of the Benin trading community over a dispute between some Akure and Benin traders in the Akure marketplace.
~ Prof. S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People,” Amalion Publishing, 2010, p.213.

It must have become clear to you (hopefully, Amen) at this point that the Yorubas of the Eastern frontier do not subscribe to the mouth-to-mouth jokes which you all regurgitate to one another at your backwater.

To think you actually believed everyone in the world agrees with you that your “dad is the strongest in the world” is wholesomely pitiable. I can only ask that you grow up.

To conclude then from what the traditions of Akure, et al. have been shown to say; it is super clear that the pictures being painted to you in your back water is the very same picture that kid siblings tell one another — i.e. “our daddy is the strongest in the world.”

On the whole, the movements of Benin’s men in arms appear to have been intrinsically actions in support of trade and traders. Benin was a great trading state whose rulers paid very close attention to its citizens’ trading activities. The Oba of Benin himself was the patron of some of the most important trading associations that organized trade to various territories outside of Benin. It is in the context of the activities and traditions of these trading associations that we must understand most statements in Benin claiming many distant lands as places in which the Oba of Benin had influence. ~ S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People,” Amalion Publishing, 2010, p.217.

Having shown that those Eastern Yoruba traditions do not say what you’ve claimed they say; let’s move now to the Lagos traditions and see what they say with respect to the relationship with Benin.

As per the Lagos traditions, the relationship with Benin was in more than one fold.

(1) Benin (like some other immigrant groups) desired to settle on the island (i.e. near the Atlantic coast) for the sake of the booming European costal trade which had began.

The first approach of the Benin immigrants to settle in the island was through warfare. However, they knew better after being decisively beaten back by the natives — the drowning of Ehengbuda in the Atlantic coast of Lagos is not unlinked to this event.

The hostility was soon followed by amicable resolve, and the Benin people later showed up with no show of force, they sought permission to land, and a piece of the island was approved and conferred to them by the natives. Thus did the Benin people settle in on the island peacefully.

(2) After having been living in Lagos for many decades, the Benin group became the largest and the most prominent of all the immigrant groups on that island.

The island which hitherto was a disused pepper farm and fishing settlement of the natives — under the control and ownership of the Olofin (now Oloto) whose office was located on a neighboring island —was soon to have its independence from the Oloto with its own king.

A certain Yoruba noble by the name Ashipa (who is one of the chiefs at Isheri-Olofin) was very ambitious. He saw the need to declare the island independent of the Oloto and have its own independent monarchy as sizeable town settlements had now sprang up in all directions on the land (the island).

This Yoruba chief from Isheri (i.e. Ashipa) then took it upon himself to team up with the immigrant groups (consisting largely of the Binis) and the Benin king in order to attain his aspiration.

The alliance proved successful (as the Benin govt. itself have had prior interest in the area), and Ashipa became the progenitor of a new dynasty of Yoruba monarchs — with a strong tie of gratitude to Benin.

(3) Ashipa’s ties to Benin was soon to be more than one of gratitude. He also had a son born to him by a Benin woman (who apparently comes from the royal family of the Benin kingdom).

The name of this son is remembered in the traditions as Ado. He was born and raised in Benin city. He came to the island later to succeed his father. He is officially recognized today as the first king (proper) of the island as his father’s authority was minimal if not nil.

As such the line of Lagos-island kings are also in this manner descended from the line of Benin kings.

Again, regardless of what you all regurgitate to each other’s mouths in Benin about Lagos, Lagos traditions have something else to say as summarized above.

For reference, see: Alan C. Burns, “History of Nigeria,” (1929), pp.42-44.

Lastly, Nupe did not TaKe BaCk no land. Face it, the evidence shows that Nupe made incursions into Benin kingdom, and even installed envoys who take and remit back tributes. And this happened long prior to the Bristish conquest of Benin — i.e. it happened when Benin was still in its power.

Similarly, Ibadan or Ilorin had no boundary with Benin. So, your talk of getting back some land is simply laughable. Ibadan and Ilorin are far away from Benin. And the Ibadan and Ilorin incursion into Benin kingdom also happened prior to the British conquest of Benin — i.e. they happened when Benin was still in its power.

Peace!
Cc: Ademola47, rhektor, nisai, gomojam, r4bbit, macof

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 6:40pm On Aug 24, 2021
KingOKON:
[s]So between the said period where was your Shaki, Modakeke, Ilorin and Ibadan enclaves?

And all that while the Portuguese NEVER thought going looking for your "imaginary " super king in ile Ife..
Continue smoking ya weed[/s]
LMAO! cheesy grin

I am cracking because even your brother, @Abohboy, realized you have a wonderfully low I.Q.

He actually literally dumbed it down to you that white people dared not penetrate deep into the interior of the West-African rain forest at that time.

They have a substantial I.Q. unlike Okon to know that death awaits them from plasmodium parasites, etc. as those are more concentrated the deeper one goes.

Unlike them, West Africans are way highly immune to these parasites. And this was at a time when there is no real antibiotics yet.

As such they restricted their interactions to kingdoms and villages near the coast where their ships were.

Having educated you on what most people learnt in junior high school (thanks also: @Abohboy), the actual relationship between Benin and Yoruba is as seen in the attached summary below.

Moreover, the comparison made of Yoruba cities and Benin (that “Benin was inconsiderable”) by Punch was made before the DeStRuCtiON of Benin.

Regarding your screenshot, now I’m also curious as to why some earlier travelers to Benin exaggerated Benin (rather than paint it in the exact bad way that it was which later travelers did anyways)?

Are they simply painting exaggerations to enable them sell their books back in Europe? This appears to be the case.

5 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:
Prior to joining Nairaland, I only hear about delusions, but since joining I actually engaged deluded folks — folks from the back-water known as Benin kingdom. It’s almost as if your king banned you all from making use of your brains.

First of all, I can only imagine what you all regurgitate into one another’s mouth regarding others (e.g. Our oba cOnQuErEd the world from Edo state to Japan).

However, I would have expected that adults (and 21st century adults for that matter) like you all would know that such statements are only as vain as kids’ “My daddy is the strongest in the world” statements.

Every single group in the olden days must have made such delusional-cum-false vainglorious claims. Those claims are not necessarily corroborated at the other end (e.g. Akure, Lagos, Japan, etc.).

Other people in the modern world have realized this fact; Binis, on the other hand, seem to have been left behind and stuck in delusions.

Not only that, you all seem shocked that others don’t accept your delusions. Psychologist have got work to do in Benin if only they know how many patients are waiting.

In the hope that I can cure your delusions, I will cite to you what the Akure (and Eastern Yoruba frontier in general) & Lagos traditions say regarding their respective link, or relationship with Benin kingdom.

Oh by the way, bRiTiSh & IjEbU oRaL sToRiEs say no such crap as you’ve insinuated in your above heap of crap.

Now to the traditions of Akure (& the Eastern frontier in general) as you’ve requested:

An interesting perspective on this subject was given by the Oore of Otun[-Ekiti] to this author during visits to the Otun palace in the 1970s.* According to the Oore, the true picture was that Ekiti kingdoms did not really see Benin as an enemy. The Oba of Benin was regarded as a “brother” to some Ekiti kings. Paying tribute to the Oba of Benin was out of the question. In Ado and Akure where bloody battles occurred, there were a special factors at work. ~ Prof. S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People,” Amalion Publishing, 2010, p.216-217.

Before moving to what the “special factors at work” in Akure, etc. are; I would like to remind you about what should have been obvious to any normal person.

Engaging in battles, conflicts with a group is not one and the same thing as being “ruled over”.

Now to the specific factors leading to the conflict with Benin by the Akures, et al.:

According to Owo traditions, a large colony of Benin traders sprang up in Owo and a large colony of Owo traders sprang up in Benin. From Owo, Benin trade spread rapidly into Ekiti and Akoko. Akure, to the north of Owo, became a minor center of Benin trade, with a large colony of Benin traders.

Wherever there was a sizeable colony of Benin traders, they had the habit of organizing themselves into a community with its own “chiefs,” topped by a head chief with the title of Olotu-Ado or Olotu Ekiran. They also developed the practice of sending their tributes to the Oba of Benin through their Olotu Ado. Usually, these head chiefs wanted to be seen and treated as representatives of the Oba of Benin. Their unmet expectations in this regard came to play some part in causing conflicts with Benin. According to Akure traditions, the first coming of Benin troops to Akure, during the reign of Oba Ewuare of Benin in about the middle of the fifteenth century, was caused by a major confrontation between the Akure government and the leadership of the Benin trading community over a dispute between some Akure and Benin traders in the Akure marketplace.
~ Prof. S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People,” Amalion Publishing, 2010, p.213.

It must have become clear to you (hopefully, Amen) at this point that the Yorubas of the Eastern frontier do not subscribe to the mouth-to-mouth jokes which you all regurgitate to one another at your backwater.

To think you actually believed everyone in the world agrees with you that your “dad is the strongest in the world” is wholesomely pitiable. I can only ask that you grow up.

To conclude then from what the traditions of Akure, et al. have been shown to say; it is super clear that the pictures being painted to you in your back water is the very same picture that kid siblings tell them one another — i.e. “our daddy is the strongest in the world.”

On the whole, the movements of Benin’s men in arms appear to have been intrinsically actions in support of trade and traders. Benin was a great trading state whose rulers paid very close attention to its citizens’ trading activities. The Oba of Benin himself was the patron of some of the most important trading associations that organized trade to various territories outside of Benin. It is in the context of the activities and traditions of these trading associations that we must understand most statements in Benin claiming many distant lands as places in which the Oba of Benin had influence. ~ S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People,” Amalion Publishing, 2010, p.217.

Having shown that those Eastern Yoruba traditions do not say what you’ve claimed they say; let’s move now to the Lagos traditions and see what it says with respect to the relationship with Benin.

As per the Lagos traditions, relationship with Benin was in more than one fold.

(1) Benin (like some other immigrant groups) desired to settle on the island (i.e. near the Atlantic coast) for the sake of the booming European costal trade which had began.

The first approach of the Benin immigrants to settle in the island was through warfare. However, they knew better after being decisively beaten back by the natives — the drowning of Ehengbuda in the Atlantic coast of Lagos is not unlinked to this event.

The hostility was soon followed by amicable resolve, and the Benin people later showed up with no show of force, they sought permission to land, and a piece of the island was approved and conferred to them by the natives. Thus did the Benin people settle in on the island peacefully.

(2) After having been living in Lagos for many decades, the Benin group became the largest and the most prominent of all the immigrant groups on that island.

The island which hitherto was a disused pepper farm and fishing settlement of the natives and it was under the control and ownership of the Olofin (now Oloto) whose office was located on a neighboring island was soon to have its independence from the Oloto with its own king.

A certain Yoruba prince by the name Ashipa (who is one of the chiefs at Isheri-Olofin) was very ambitious. He saw the need to declare the island independent of the Oloto and have its own independent monarchy as sizeable town settlements had now sprang up in all directions on the land (the island).

This Yoruba chief from Isheri (i.e. Ashipa) then took it upon himself to team up with the immigrant groups (consisting largely of the Binis) and the Benin king in order to attain his aspiration.

The alliance proved successful (as the Benin govt. itself have had prior interest in the area), and Ashipa became the progenitor of a new dynasty of Yoruba monarchy — with a strong tie of gratitude to Benin.

(3) Ashipa’s ties to Benin was soon to be more than one of gratitude. He also had a son born to him by a Benin woman (who apparently comes from the royal family of the Benin kingdom).

The name of this son is remembered in the traditions as Ado. He was born and raised in Benin city. He came to the island later to succeed his father. He is officially recognized today as the first king (proper) of the island as his father’s authority was minimal if not nil.

As such the line of Lagos kings are also in this manner also descended from the line of Benin kings.

Again, regardless of what you all regurgitate to each others’ mouth in Benin about Lagos, Lagos traditions have something else to say as summarized here.

For reference, see: Alan C Burns, “History of Nigeria,” (1929), pp.42-44.

Lastly, Nupe did not TaKe BaCk no land. Face it, the evidence shows that Nupe made incursions into Benin kingdom, and even installed envoys who take and remit back tributes. And this happened long prior to the Bristish conquest of Benin — i.e. it happened when Benin was still in its power.

Similarly, Ibadan or Ilorin had no boundary with Benin. So, your talk of getting back some land is simply laughable. Ibadan and Ilorin are far away from Benin. And the Ibadan and Ilorin incursion into Benin kingdom also happened prior to the British conquest of Benin — i.e. they happened when Benin was still in its power.

Peace!
Cc: Ademola47, rhektor, nisai, gomojam, r4bbit, macof
Kai see epistle full of lies
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 11:23pm On Aug 24, 2021
Think4Myself:
Kai see epistle full of lies
Eeyah! I feel your pain. LMAO. grin

Breaking News:
Your oba ruled Benin kingdom — i.e. Benin city and its surrounding Edoid areas.

No, your oba didn’t rule the island of Lagos. Yes he got tributes from the ruling dynasty for gratitude.

No, your oba didn’t rule the Eastern-Yorubaland.

No your oba didn’t rule Europe & Japan.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Peace! grin

Cc: Ademola47, rhektor, nisai, gomojam, r4bbit

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Nobody: 6:29am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
Eeyah! I feel your pain. LMAO. grin

Breaking News:
Your oba ruled Benin kingdom — i.e. Benin city and its surrounding Edoid areas.

No, your oba didn’t rule the island of Lagos. Yes he got tributes from the ruling dynasty for gratitude.

No, your oba didn’t rule the Eastern-Yorubaland.

No your oba didn’t rule Europe & Japan.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Peace! grin

Cc: Ademola47, rhektor, nisai, gomojam, r4bbit
You're down bad for using your other accounts to like and share yourself
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 7:00am On Aug 25, 2021
Think4Myself:
You're down bad for using your other accounts to like and share yourself
No I’m not from Benin kingdom. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 8:09am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
LMAO! cheesy grin

I am cracking because even your brother, @Abohboy, realized you have a wonderfully low I.Q.

He actually literally dumbed it down to you that white people dared not penetrate deep into the interior of the West-African rain forest at that time.

They have a substantial I.Q. unlike Okon to know that death awaits them from plasmodium parasites, etc. as those are more concentrated the deeper one goes.

Unlike them, West Africans are way highly immune to these parasites. And this was at a time when there is no real antibiotics yet.

As such they restricted their interactions to kingdoms and villages near the coast where their ships were.

Having educated you on what most people learnt in junior high school (thanks also: @Abohboy), the actual relationship between Benin and Yoruba is as seen in the attached summary below.

Moreover, the comparison made of Yoruba cities and Benin (that “Benin was inconsiderable”) by Punch was made before the DeStRuCtiON of Benin.

Regarding your screenshot, now I’m also curious as to why some earlier travelers to Benin exaggerated Benin (rather than paint it in the exact bad way that it was which later travelers did anyways)?

Are they simply painting exaggerations to enable them sell their books back in Europe? This appears to be the case.

You lots are simply pathetic and a shame to ordinary common sense, I need not answer @Abohboy because they all were subjects and under the control of the Oba, even Onitsha bowed to the Oba
So for over 400years before the exile of the Benin king to Calabar, the Benin Kings never deemed it fit to report to their "supposedly" higher king the presence of Europeans to him, yet the Benin kings pay homages to him according to you and your " foreign writers".

If that be the case that your Ogane who you claim was suzerain over the Oba is the most foolish of all kings, so for every successive Oba interactions with Europeans they never bothered taking the Europeans to him your Ogane must be an insignificant nonentity to all the Obas until the fall of the Benin Empire.

If all the tribes and villages from the shore of EKO down to Warri/Forcados where the Nana controlled all submitted and reported to the Oba whose palace was several km from the Atlantic shore yet the Oba gives no regard to the Ogane, that suzerain leader over the Oba must really be an errand boy to the Oba

So you doubt if Europeans authors never wrote Adventures of imaginary
lands of gold, women in abundance and fighting of African savage tribes to gain popularity or to massage their egos, you are truly a dumb wannabe BobRISKY historian.

@Abohboy all of you, even the upper river Niger area all answered and bowed to the Oba, you can ask your village chief and also the Obi of Onitsha who never existed when the Europeans first set foot on this continent

BobRISKY you can continue smoking you weed from ile Ife maybe you can go add some from Ogbomosho village

2 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 8:16am On Aug 25, 2021
KingOKON:
[s]You lots are simply pathetic and a shame to ordinary common sense, I need not answer @Abohboy because they all were subjects and under the control of the Oba, even Onitsha bowed to the Oba
So for over 400years before the exile of the Benin king to Calabar, the Benin Kings never deemed it fit to report to their "supposedly" higher king the presence of Europeans to him, yet the Benin kings pay homages to him according to you and your " foreign writers".

If that be the case that your Ogane who you claim was suzerain over the Oba is the most foolish of all kings, so for every successive Oba interactions with Europeans they never bothered taking the Europeans to him your Ogane must be an insignificant nonentity to all the Obas until the fall of the Benin Empire. If all the tribes and villages from the shore of EKO down to Warri/Forcados where the Nana controlled all submitted and reported to the Oba whose palace was several km from the Atlantic shore yet the Oba gives no regard to the Ogane, that suzerain leader over the Oba must really be an errand boy to the Oba

lands of gold, women in abundance and fighting of African savage tribes to gain popularity or to massage their egos, you are truly a dumb wannabe BobRISKY historian.

@Abohboy all of you, even the upper river Niger area all answered and bowed to the Oba, you can ask your village chief and also the Obi of Onitsha who never existed when the Europeans first set foot on this continent

BobRISKY you can continue smoking you weed from ile Ife maybe you can go add some from Ogbomosho village[/s]
I can’t remember asking you for ocean of tears. grin

@Abohboy, you have an unfinished baby-sitting job to complete with this “town crier”. LMAO!

Iti-Boribo. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 8:25am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
I can’t remember asking you for ocean of tears. grin

@Abohboy, you have an unfinished baby-sitting job to complete with this “town crier”. LMAO!

Iti-Boribo. cheesy

Fishbrain
So for over 400years your Ogane the Suzerain of the Oba never knew the Obas had been interacting with Europeans you and that your Ogane, Ryder of a junk writer are the most dumbest of all in the entire universe

2 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 8:34am On Aug 25, 2021
KingOKON:
Fishbrain
So for over 400years your Ogane the Suzerain of the Oba never knew the Obas had been interacting with Europeans you and that your Ogane, Ryder of a junk writer and the most dumbest of all in the entire universe
Okon with the wonderfully low IQ,

Komenda villager (of present-day Ghana) have being trading with Europeans for centuries.

This villages and many other villages near the Atlantic coast of W-Africa (like Benin kingdom) still exist today.

The Europeans had direct trade contacts with these vilages (Komenda, your Benin, Cape 3 points) because:

(1) They’re are a group of gullible villages whom the Europeans found easy to short-change in trade.

(2) They are closer to the coast than the deep forest of the interior.

Make your pick as you no get sense. Don’t come back without making a pick. And it’s a trap.

LMAO! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by samuk: 9:10am On Aug 25, 2021
You always find Yoruba trolls who are obsessed with Benin in any thread that has Benin on it. You will never see them in their fairytales and myths threads such as the one about Sango being a king. That thread is currently 4 pages, but you will never see Yoruba trolls actively participating on it. You guys avoid Yoruba threads like plaques but always trolling Benin threads to dump heap of copy and paste rubbish as historical evidence.
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 9:11am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
Okon with the wonderfully low IQ,

Komenda villager (of present-day Ghana) have being trading with Europeans for centuries.

This villages and many other villages near the Atlantic coast of W-Africa (like Benin kingdom) still exist today.

The Europeans had direct trade contacts with these vilages (Komenda, your Benin, Cape 3 points) because:

(1) They’re are a group of gullible villages whom the Europeans found easy to short-change in trade.

(2) They are closer to the coast than the deep forest interior.

Make your pick as you no get sense. Don’t come back without making a pick. And it’s a trap.

LMAO! cheesy

Confirmed Rabbit brain it seems you need a stronger WEED to smoke for better understanding

If the Benin Obas had garrison in EKO, if the Nana of Itshekeri always reported to the Oba, if the Oba knew all that the daily transactions in his empire how come the Ogane who you CRACK head and fellow junk writers claim was superior to the Oba never knew anything about the Europeans

Or why NEVER did any of the Obas assigned his men or chiefs to take the Europeans to go see his superior leader or did this superior leader never had emissaries at the Obas palace

Or is it only know to smoke WEED and type gibberish you sabi.

* Mind you the Oba Palace is several km from the Atlantic river, yet he controlled villages at the shores *

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by samuk: 9:24am On Aug 25, 2021
KingOKON:

You lots are simply pathetic and a shame to ordinary common sense, I need not answer @Abohboy because they all were subjects and under the control of the Oba, even Onitsha bowed to the Oba

If that be the case that your Ogane who you claim was suzerain over the Oba is the most foolish of all kings, so for every successive Oba interactions with Europeans they never bothered taking the Europeans to him your Ogane must be an insignificant nonentity to all the Obas until the fall of the Benin Empire.

If all the tribes and villages from the shore of EKO down to Warri/Forcados where the Nana controlled all submitted and reported to the Oba whose palace was several km from the Atlantic shore yet the Oba gives no regard to the Ogane, that suzerain leader over the Oba must really be an errand boy to the Oba

BobRISKY you can continue smoking you weed from ile Ife maybe you can go add some from Ogbomosho village

I have made this argument repeatedly, it's good to know others are not fooled by revisionists and their garbage history.

The first time the Alaafin saw the white man was in 1824. Ife was even much later. This same people are now telling everyone that Benin who was already dealing with the Europeans for more than 400 years before the Alaafin and Ooni saw a white man was under Ife.

Benin already sent an ambassador to Europe 200 years before the Alaafin and Ooni set their eyes on the white man for the first time.

Rather than these guys to concentrate on their fairytales threads, they are always looking for Benin threads to troll. Benin rocks these people's world. I wonder what they would have done with their lives without Benin history.

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 9:29am On Aug 25, 2021
KingOKON:
Confirmed Rabbit brain it seems you need a stronger WEED to smoke for better understanding

IF the Benin Obas had garrison in EKO, if the Nana of Itshekeri always reported to the Oba, if the Oba knew all that the daily transactions in his empire
I’m glad you wrote IF. Who born monkey? cheesy

how come the Ogane who you CRACK head and fellow junk writers claim was superior to the Oba never knew anything about the Europeans
Because to the Oghoni of IFE, no mortal was at par, let alone superior. Neither could a mortal see his face.

Or why NEVER did any of the Obas assigned his men or chiefs to take the Europeans to go see his superior leader or did this superior leader never had emissaries at the Obas palace
Because having W-Africans walk side-by-side with the whites does not help in any way with reducing their chances of falling ill in the course wading through the deeper W/African rain forest of the 1400s, 1500s, etc.

Or is it only know to smoke WEED and type gibberish you sabi.
I am not from Benin kingdom. LMAO!

* Mind you the Oba Palace is several km from the Atlantic river, yet he controlled villages at the shores *
You mean your oba controlled villages, wOw he must be very gReAt. Haha cheesy grin

Komenda village had dealings with the Europeans — because the Europeans love to deal with gullible folks (not too far from the coast) whom they can short-change, e.g. Benin kingdom. Kisses! kiss

Cc: Abohboy

4 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 10:07am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
I’m glad you wrote IF. Who born monkey? cheesy

Because to the Oghoni of IFE, no mortal was at par, let alone superior. Neither could a mortal see his face.

Because having W-Africans walk side-by-side with the whites does not help in any way with reducing their chances of falling ill in the course wading through the deeper W/African rain forest of the 1400s, 1500s, etc.

I am not from Benin kingdom. LMAO!

You mean your oba controlled villages, wOw he must be very gReAt. Haha cheesy grin

Komenda village had dealings with the Europeans — because the Europeans love to deal with gullible folks (not too far from the coast) whom they can short-change, e.g. Benin kingdom. Kisses! kiss

Cc: Abohboy

Your WEED is truly from Ogbomosho.... just read the jargons above

So the playboy present Ooni of Ife must be IMMOTEP the immortal...

Just like Oduduwa who killed gods and spirit
Immortal ya ewedu ASS!

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 10:12am On Aug 25, 2021
samuk:

I have made this argument repeatedly, it good to know others are not fooled by revisionists and their garbage history.

The first time the Alaafin saw the white man was in 1824. Ife was even much later. This same people are now telling everyone that Benin who was already dealing with the Europeans for more than 400 years before the Alaafin and Ooni saw a white man was under Ife.

Benin already sent an ambassador to Europe 200 years before the Alaafin and Ooni set their eyes on the white man for the first time.

Rather than these guys to concentrate on their fairytales threads, they are always looking for Benin threads to troll. Benin rocks these people's world. I wonder what they would have done with their lives without Benin history.

I take delight in curing ego tripping weed smoking wannabe historian like BobRISKY aka TAO12 or 11.

They can only LIE within their villages they dare not take their lies outside their villages
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 10:16am On Aug 25, 2021
KingOKON:
I take delight in curing ego tripping weed smoking wannabe historian like BobRISKY aka TAO12 or 11.

They can only LIE within their villages they dare not take their lies outside their villages
Slave OKON, your oba remains my boy sha. grin

KingOKON:
Your WEED is truly from Ogbomosho....So the playboy present Ooni of Ife must be IMMOTEP the immortal...Just Oduduwa who killed gods and spirit
Immortal ya ewedu ASS!
OKON, is there any reason why I can see through your fake laughs? cheesy

Address the points I raised for you before I open my eyes. You think you can escape with fake laughs.

OKON right now — see attached.

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by samuk: 10:17am On Aug 25, 2021
Unti 1897 when Ovonramwen was banished to Calabar I have been looking for evidence of the existence of Ife in the Benin royal court, I have found none.

Yoruba told us that the Oba of Benin was a Yoruba man from Ife and Yoruba was the official language of the Palace.

Questions:
1. How many Obas of Benin had Yoruba names.

2. How many Benin princes had Yoruba names before 1897.

3. How many Benin princesses had Yoruba names before 1897.

4. How many Benin queens had Yoruba names before 1897.

5. How many Yoruba names of great personalities are found in Benin history since Benin written history records began in the 1400s till 1897.

6. How many Yoruba names of great personalities are found on Benin oral history before 1897.

The truth is Yoruba play very little or no role in Benin history before 1897.

Benin/Ife relationship story was supported by oba Eweka after his father Oba Ovonramwen was banished to Calabar. He supported the Benin/Ife relationship to get support from the Yorubas who the British had stopped their tribal wars, organised and favoured. Oba Eweka 2 faced serious rebellion from some Benin chiefs due to the 17 years, 1897-1914 that Benin was without a active Oba. Oba Akenzua followed on his father's steps, he had a brief romance with the Yorubas until Nigeria independence in 1960. By 1963, the Benin/Ife relationship romance was over. Since the time of Oba Erediawa, the Benin Obas have consistently maintained that they are not Yoruba.

Benin/Ife relationship fairytales only lasted from 1897-1963, a brief period of 66 years of over 600 years of Benin written history.

In the 66 years that the Benin/Ife relationship lasted Yoruba and their supporters looked through Benin arts and historical records for evidences to backdate Benin/Ife connection earlier than 1897 but found none, not deterred, they resulted to outright falsification, they move mentioned locations around, east became west, they reduced distances and 900 miles became 177 miles, they even manipulated travelling time to the extent that a day's journey now became 20 moons (20 months) journey. Even the name/title Organe that was mentioned was change to Ife/Ooni. All these just to backdate Benin/Ife relationship earlier than 1897.

The Yoruba are quick to call on the works of archeologists, anthropologists, linguist, cartographers, mathematicians just to prove that Benin had relationship with Ife earlier than 1897.

Rather than go to this elaborate routes just to deceive unsuspecting and less informed readers, all you guys needs to point to is simple evidences such as the Oba of Benin that had Yoruba names, Benin prince and princess that had Yoruba names. Even if you can't go back too far into history, just show us from 1865 to 1897, these 32 years period is well documented in Benin history with actual names of Obas and Benin princes written down by the Europeans.

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 10:18am On Aug 25, 2021
You are actually to foolish to be ignored because to ignore has a specially foolish meaning to you. To you it means that you’re stating FaCtS. Joker. cheesy

Moreover, you are also resolutely fraudulent because this very crap you heaped above was debunked even to your satisfaction on a different thread. grin

The Devastating Refutation:
Eyewitness testimony/writings from the late-1400s & early-1500s which references the monarch of the Ife kingdom & his suzerainty over Benin kingdom exist.

NB: Yes, there used to be a debate in academia in the 1970s/1980s (between the mainstream scholars on one hand; and one, two, or three others on another hand) over the identity of this suzerain.

This debate was particularly on the usage of the word “east” in those early writings.

In present time, however, there is no single academic historian who holds the notion that this suzerain (of the early writings) is other than the Ooni of Ife [i.e. Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni Ufẹ̀ in the Ife dialect of the Yoruba language].

The symbol ⟨ɣ⟩ being the voiced velar fricative with its consonant sound as in this audio sample.

This conclusion is reinforced by the fact that no king, throughout the Guinea Forest of West Africa matches the specific sacral details given in those early writings, except the Ooni of Ife.

In addition to this significant fact, the debate over the word “east” was subsequently quelled by the fact that from Atakpame (in present-day Togo) to the kingdom of Benin (in present-day Nigeria), from Èkó (next to the Atlantic Ocean) to Ọ̀yọ́-Ilé (not far from the Niger River) Ife is known by the interesting epithet: Ibi ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá — i.e. “the place from where the sun rises”.

For some written references to the widespread usage of this epithet (in reference to Ife) among the natives of this region of West Africa, please refer to:

(A) Rev. D. Hinderer, “Diary Impression,” June 4, 1851, Ibadan, C.M.S.

(B) R. Horton (1979), p. 85., citing B. Maupoil (1943), A. Akinjogbin (1967:41-43), R. Smith (1969:31), as well as A. Obayemi (1976:206).

This reverential (rather than literal) epithet of Ife informed the literalist Europeans’ writings whose source(s) are Benin spokespersons of their king.

Hence the appearance of the word “east” in the early European writings in reference to the kingdom of the Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni (who is transliterated in the early writings as “Hooguanee”, “Ogané”, etc.).

Side Note: Binis, till today, still sometimes refer to the Ooni as Oghene. Refer to the entry “ɔɣɛnɛ” (i.e. “ọghẹnẹ”) in Hans Melzian’s “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” where its second definition is given as: “Bini name for the ni at Ile Ife”

Moreover, another piece of historical evidence which quelled the academic debate on the word “east” (as is seen in the early writings in reference to this overlord) are early maps.

There are maps (e.g. from the early 1500s) which show the phrase Dominion of the Orguene annotated across the western half of today’s Nigeria.

These historical information leaves anyone (not only the historians) with the only logical conclusion that the appearance of the word “east” in those early writings is of course not literal.

In conclusion, contrary to your ignorant assumption, there are writings from the early 1500s (on the basis of interviews of Bini representatives in the late 1400s) which references the king of Ife & his overlordship on Benin kingdom and other places.

Apart from early writings, there are other types of historical evidence which also establish clearly that there exist a classic (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

These other type of historical evidence which I come to here are classical artifacts from the hard science of archaeology. One crucial examples in this regard is discussed below.

The artifact shown in this link is the image of an Ooni of Ife. ~ S. P. Blier, “Art in Ancient Ife,” 2012, Figure 17.

The Ife naturalism of this artifact, its facial striations, as well as its classical Ife ceremonial costume and the pair of chest ornament help art historians (as well as Benin chroniclers alike) with identifying this image as an Ooni of Ife.

What is very, very crucial here is that this artifact was found in the archaeological deposits of Benin. To be more precise, it was excavated from the royal palace of Benin kingdom.

Furthermore, the production date of this artifact has now been established by science. This artifact is dated, by thermoluminescence technique, to the year 1420 [± 60 years].

~ Calvocoressi & David, “A New Survey of Radiocarbon and Thermoluminescence Dates for West Africa,” 1979, p. 19.

For more pictorial angles (and details) regarding this particular artifact, please refer to:

(A) W. Fagg, “A Bronze Figure in Ife Style at Benin,” British Museum, June 1950, Plate Fa, Fb, Fc

(B) F. Willett, “Ife in the History of West African Sculpture,” McGraw-Hill, 1967, Figure 89.

(C) C. Adepegba, “The Descent from Oduduwa,” 1986, Plate 4.

In other words, a more-than 500-year-old ‘bronze’ cast of an Ooni Ife was discovered in the (archaeological deposits of the) palace of Benin kingdom.

In conclusion, it thus becomes clear that there exists a classical (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

Again, this conclusion which I have inevitably reached is not mine. This is simply the conclusion of historical scholarship. This can be seen in the following works:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

A beautiful summary of this conclusion of scholars of
African history (some of whose names and works are listed above) is shown in the page below from Adam Knobler (2016), p.47.

Peace! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 10:18am On Aug 25, 2021
IFE is roughly about 174 miles away from Benin City.

However, the alleged distance of 900 miles is NOT mentioned anywhere in the text.

Instead, the distance between Benin City and the Ogane’s place [as given in the text] is 250 leagues.

However, this number (250 leagues) wasn’t obtained (by the Portuguese) from any Bini informant. This fact is extremely clear from the text itself.

In fact, the Binis who lived in the 1400s/1500s did not measure distance in leagues, miles, etc. As such, they couldn’t have given such information.

Instead, the Binis of the 1400s, 1500s, etc. measured distance in natural terms, e.g. on the basis of celestial bodies such as the Moon, etc.

Interestingly, the distance obtained from the Binis by the Portuguese was given in terms of the Moon. This is given in the text.

The Binis informed the Portuguese that it takes twenty (20) moons journey to go from Benin city to the Ogané’s place.

It was on the basis of this received information (i.e. 20 moons journey away) that the Portuguese imagined what the distance in “leagues” should be.

The distance in leagues was NOT received from the Binis. The text is clear on this. The W/African context is also clear on this.

Having said that, the natural question now becomes:

Is this number (20 moons journey from Benin City to the Ogane’s place) realistic for IFE if it is indeed the Ogane’s place??

In other words, could the distance from Benin City to Ile-Ife possibly have been twenty moons journey in some “traditional” terms? Let’s do the Maths on the basis of average numbers & the “traditional” context.

The data to be used for the Math is NOT on the basis of Google map’s algorithm which assumes a walking trip with zero tiredness, zero rests, zero stops, zero pauses, zero relaxations, zero camps, constant rapid pace, etc.

Instead, the data to be used is on the basis of the real life situation, average numbers, & traditional context.

Datum 1: C. G. Okojie’s “Ishan Native Laws and Customs,” p. 210. provides the first data as follows:

The walking trip from Uromi (in Ishan) to Benin City on a course of some 50 miles “traditionally” took an average of 5 months.

~ Cited in A.F.C. Ryder (1965), p.27.

Datum 2: IFE is roughly about 174 miles away from Benin City (even over the ancient Benin-Owo-Ife route).

These two data leave an answer of about 17.4 months [NOT moons] as the “traditional” walking time from Benin to Ife.

In other words, IFE is 17.4 months journey away from Benin city on the averagetraditionally”.

Question: How many “moons” are 17.4 months equivalent to? To answer this, two pieces of data will be adduced.

Datum 3: It takes the Moon 27.322 days to go around the earth.

In other words, there are [exactly] about 27.322 days in one “moon”.

Datum 4: There is an average of 30.47 days in one month.

Summary:
(1) The “traditional” walking distance from Benin to Ile-Ife took an average of 17.4 months

(2) 17.4 months are equivalent to 530.178 days (i.e. 17.4 months * 30.47days per month).

(3) 530.178 days are equivalent to 19.4 moons (i.e. 530.178 days / 27.322 days per moon).

In conclusion, the facts and figures turn out to prove that the “traditional” trip from Benin city to Ile-Ife took an average of 19.4 moons.

This answer is therefore astoundingly accurate for all practical intents and purpose.

From this again, we see that Ife is indeed the place of the Ogané of the Portuguese text. The Bini informant knew exactly what he was talking about.

PS: References to this great overlord (to whom Benin obas are subservient) is documented not once, not twice, not thrice by independent Europeans; but at least five separate times spanning centuries prior to the 1800s.

Peace! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 10:20am On Aug 25, 2021
Regarding Names:

Warning To Binis: You will have to make use of your brain.

A little scratch on the surface of linguistics (etymology and glottochronology in particular) would have left you better guided in this specific regard.

For example (on “etymology”), had there not been the need for the older generations to preserve the story surrounding Eweka’s name; its root and hence its meaning would have been completely lost to us.

Following your logic, we may now then propose that the palace probably originally spoke neither Yoruba nor Edo. This proposition is a wrong one, and we can now confidently say it is wrong only because we are lucky enough to have the traditions surrounding that name preserved and passed down to us.

Furthermore, the outward unintelligibility of certain words, etc. can also be explained from the standpoint of “glottochronology”.

Linguistics have have established the following:

(1) The present-day different dialects of a language (the Yoruba language for example) all used to be one and the same exact singular language the farther back in time you go.

(2) The present-day differentiations in these dialects (of the Yoruba language for example) are the result of (a) natural linguistic evolutions, and (b) novel linguistic innovations, among others.

(3) Linguistic studies have reached the conclusion that the dialects spoken in central Yorubaland is the result of far more linguistic innovations than in other parts of Yorubaland.

As such, many consonant sounds (or even complete words) which have remained preserved/unchanged in the Yoruba frontier areas have been been met with some innovative elision/replacements in central Yorubaland in the course of the centuries.

In the light of this education, it is therefore clear why certain words which used to be present in use in the past by all these people is now lost to some (or even all) of them.

Some words which are similarly slipping away even in our present-times is the word “Oluku” (for “friend”) or “Ogho” (for the city of “Owo”) among many others.

(4) This very linguistic concept is the same that applies between languages (not only within a language).

(5) Linguistics show that the present languages of the Yoruba, Igala, Edo, Idoma, Ebira, Nupe, Kakanda, Igbo, and Gbagyi all differentiated in the very distant past from one and the same very language.

In the light of the foregoing education, what appears to be words intelligible only to the Edos are in reality words which used to be mutually intelligible not only to Edos and Yorubas (but also to others as well), and vice versa.

It only so happens that by the passage of time, many words which the Edos still hold in use (due to the very minimal linguistic innovation within their group) have been replaced and lost to time and to innovation among the other related groups.

This explanation is further bolstered by the fact that within the Yoruba group, little linguistic innovation in their language is observed along the eastern Yoruba frontiers, around the north-east Yoruba corner, and in the south-east Yoruba axis — areas nearer to the Edo region where minimal linguistic innovation is also observed.

In addition to the foregoing linguistic explanations, it must also be borne in mind that the influences must have been two-ways rather than one-way.

In other words, while there must have been influence from the Yoruba side, the native Edo side must also have played its role — especially considering the fact that the Yoruba patrilineal monarchs also have native indigenous parents as well among other factors.

In any case, some of the Benin kings’ names (even as evolved as they are ) are still intelligible from a Yoruba standpoint.

Peace! smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by samuk: 10:26am On Aug 25, 2021
1865 to 1897 names of Benin Obas and prince were documented by Europeans and they were not Yoruba names.

The first time Yoruba name appeared in Benin Palace was during the reign of Oba Eweka 2 in the 1900s.
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 10:29am On Aug 25, 2021
(1) Seventeen (17) different obas are supposed to have ruled Benin kingdom from the 1480s to c.1848.

(2) The Europeans are supposed to have visited Benin kingdom from 1480s to c.1848 and met these obas.

(3) These Europeans produced many writings based on their observations in/near Benin and its palace.

(4) Not a single one of these seventeen (17) obas was mentioned by these Europeans who are supposed to have gone to meet them.

(5) Wonderful! Shall we reason like Benin people and conclude that:

(I) Benin had no kings during the period.

(II) Benin had kings who had no names.

(III) No European visited and it was all lies.

My Benin rags, make una come pick one oo.

Peace! cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 10:45am On Aug 25, 2021
(1) The Oghoni [of Ife] was mentioned by the Benin palace to the Europeans in the 1400s, 1500s, 1600s, etc.

(2) The name Eweka (of Ife) was mentioned by the Benin palace to the Europeans in the 1800s., Etc.

Facts dey pepper dem. Haha grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by nisai: 10:45am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:

Address the points I raised for you before I open my eyes. You think you can escape with fake laughs.

Bhuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Leave Nairaland abeg. grin Special thanks giving for Omega church go happen sharp sharp.

2 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 2:15pm On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:

So between 1485 when Oba Ozuala met the Portuguese and the last Oba exiled to Calabar in 1894 by the British.
Mosquitoes and deep forest conditions prevented the Portuguese, the British and every other Europeans from wanting to see this IMMORTAL all mighty King that towered the Oba.

For good 400 years while Benin traded with Europeans and when it was raided, the good and lovely sweet hearted Europeans with Fire powers that had penetrated into the deep of Congo, Mali and Burkina Faso never bothered to go look for Ogane the Suzerain king that eyes dare not SEE becos of mosquitoes and deep forest

When I say you smoke WEED honestly it s not ordinary weed, it must be weed from this Ogane of Ile Ife weed the weed no eyes can see. When the Fulanis were rampaging Osogbo and other cities they never spoke of any IMMORTAL king instead they were converting the conquered territory to Islam and you are here telling the entire universe with your junk ass Ryder of writer that a Suzerain King that eyes dare not see with no Armies or emissaries at the courts of his subjects existed, thunder strike your WEED smoking damaged brain.

Ordinary children of Uthman Fodio that rampaged Ilorin never mentioned of any nonsense imaginary king it is the British army hunger for gold, artefacts that exiled the Oba who won't go looking for such superior king.

Continue Smoking your suzerain WEED from the king that eyes dare not see, maybe Methuselah should be his name nonsense.
Better increase the strength of the weed you are smoking, cause you will need plenty of em

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by samuk: 2:30pm On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
(1) The Oghoni [of Ife] was mentioned by the Benin palace to the Europeans in the 1400s, 1500s, 1600s, etc.

(2) The name Eweka (of Ife) was mentioned by the Benin palace to the Europeans in the 1800s., Etc.

Facts dey pepper dem. Haha grin

There is nowhere the name Ife was mentioned in Benin history before 1897.

There is no way some Yoruba will not be embarrassed by your outing.

Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan didn't appear in Benin history before 1897.
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 2:59pm On Aug 25, 2021
KingOKON:
So between 1485 when Oba Ozuala met the Portuguese and the last Oba exiled to Calabar in 1894 by the British.
Show me where any Ozolua met a Portuguese in any contemporary writing of the period.

Mosquitoes and deep forest conditions prevented the Portuguese, the British and every other Europeans from wanting to see this IMMORTAL all mighty King that towered the Oba.
YES! cheesy You didn’t know that? undecided

For good 400 years while Benin traded with Europeans and when it was raided, the good and lovely sweet hearted Europeans with Fire powers that had penetrated into the deep of Congo, Mali and Burkina Faso never bothered to go look for Ogane the Suzerain king that eyes dare not SEE becos of mosquitoes and deep forest
Show me one European in Mali or Burkina-Faso during the periods of the Oghoni’s overlordship.

Show me one EUrOpEaN who penetrated dEeP into the Kingdom of Kongo.

By the way, the Kingdom of Kongo lies on the Atlantic coast of central Africa.

When I say you smoke WEED honestly it s not ordinary weed, it must be weed from this Ogane of Ile Ife weed the weed no eyes can see. When the Fulanis were rampaging Osogbo and other cities they never spoke of any IMMORTAL king instead they were converting the conquered territory to Islam and you are here telling the entire universe with your junk ass Ryder of writer that a Suzerain King that eyes dare not see with no Armies or emissaries at the courts of his subjects existed, thunder strike your WEED smoking damaged brain.
See the first attached screenshot from Adam Knobler (2016:47) grin

Ordinary children of Uthman Fodio that rampaged Ilorin never mentioned of any nonsense imaginary king it is the British army hunger for gold, artefacts that exiled the Oba who won't go looking for such superior king.
The British did go there. Ignoramus.

Moreover, could you explain to me what “aberration” is going on in the picture embedded here.

When did territories of Benin kingdom (Esanland to be precise) become ceded to the Emirate?

Just asking for a friend
. smiley

Continue Smoking your suzerain WEED from the king that eyes dare not see, maybe Methuselah should be his name nonsense.Better increase the strength of the weed you are smoking, cause you will need plenty of em
Oghoni (classical form) is his ‘name’.

Owoni (intermediate form) is his ‘name’.

Ooni (modern form) is his ‘name’.

Oghene (to the Binis of old) is his ‘name’.

See second attachment from Hanz Melzian’s “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria”.

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 3:01pm On Aug 25, 2021
samuk:

What won't we see and hear with from a weed smoking village historian

Ife- where eyes dare not see the Immortal king
Oduduwa- I don't know which version of Oduduwa you have heard of, is it Jerusalem abi na Mecca and Medina or the ile Ife own?
Oranmiyan - whether he is a Man or Spirit like Sango who is both god and man
The stories they tell in their villages they want tell the world...WEED smoking is dangerous he won't hear
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 3:14pm On Aug 25, 2021
samuk:
Yes it was.

Moreover, the Ooni, whom the Portuguese documented as “Ogane” (on basis of the Binis “Oghene”) was mentioned in Benin from the 1400s.

See attached screenshot from Hanz Melzian’s “A Concise dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria”.

You mean am? grin cheesy

This has been debunked at the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/1#105159559

Moreover, the following names, never appeared in Benin history until after 1896:

Eweka I
Uwuakhuahen
Henmihen
Ewedo
Oguola
Edoni
Udagbedo
Ohen
Egbeka
Orobiru
Uwaifiokun
Ewuare I
Ezoti
Olua
Ozolua
Esigie
Orhogbua
Ehengbuda
Ohuan
Ohenzae
Akenkpaye
Akengbedo
Ore-Oghene
Ewuakpe
Ozuere
Akenzua I
Eresoyen
Akengbuda
Obanosa
Ogbebo

What now?

(1) They never exited? (2) They have nothing to do with Benin kingdom?

Use your brain despite your oba’s ban on the use of brain.

Peace.

4 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by samuk: 6:32pm On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
Yes it was.

Moreover, the Ooni, whom the Portuguese documented as “Ogane” (on basis of the Binis “Oghene”) was mentioned in Benin from the 1400s.

See attached screenshot from Hanz Melzian’s “A Concise dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria”.

You mean am? grin cheesy

This has been debunked at the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/1#105159559

Moreover, the following names, never appeared in Benin history until after 1900:

Eweka I
Uwuakhuahen
Henmihen
Ewedo
Oguola
Edoni
Udagbedo
Ohen
Egbeka
Orobiru
Uwaifiokun
Ewuare I
Ezoti
Olua
Ozolua
Esigie
Orhogbua
Ehengbuda
Ohuan
Ohenzae
Akenkpaye
Akengbedo
Ore-Oghene
Ewuakpe
Ozuere
Akenzua I
Eresoyen
Akengbuda
Obanosa
Ogbebo

What now?

(1) They never exited? (2) They have nothing to do with Benin kingdom?

Use your brain despite your oba’s ban on the use of brain.

Peace.

Are you expecting me to respond to a cut and paste without date of publication? I repeat Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan never appeared in Benin history before 1897.

You are now at liberty to present Benin written historical documents before 1897 that mentioned Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan as being part of Benin history.

I am not interested in your modern day publications purporting to interpret old documents.

I am not interested in your interpretations of how Organe was Ooni or how oghoni was Ooni, or how Oghene became Ooni or how oghogho became Ooni. Show me the word Ooni, Oduduwa, Ife and Oranmiyan in Benin historical records before 1897.

You have your work cut out for you. Do more research and come back with Benin history written before 1897 that mentioned Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan.

Your story so far is not different from the Igbo version that says, Oba Eweka was actually Oba Iweka from Nri, Ozolua was an Igbo man with the Ozor title from Nri.
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2021
samuk:
Are you expecting me to respond to a cut and paste without date of publication? I repeat Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan never appeared in Benin history before 1897.

You are now at liberty to present Benin written historical documents before 1897 that mentioned Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan as being part of Benin history.

I am not interested in your modern publications purporting to interpret old documents.
Show me any of the following names (prior to the year 1897) in Benin history:

Eweka I
Uwuakhuahen
Henmihen
Ewedo
Oguola
Edoni
Udagbedo
Ohen
Egbeka
Orobiru
Uwaifiokun
Ewuare I
Ezoti
Olua
Ozolua
Esigie
Orhogbua
Ehengbuda
Ohuan
Ohenzae
Akenkpaye
Akengbedo
Ore-Oghene
Ewuakpe
Ozuere
Akenzua I
Eresoyen
Akengbuda
Obanosa
Ogbebo.

If you fail to show me one of these names, then I will be forced to conclude (like your dumbass) that these names are no more than fairy tales which have nothing to do with Benin kingdom.

But if you show me one of these names, then I will be willing to give you the reference to the words Ife, Ooni, Oranmiyan in connection with the history of the kingdom of Benin prior to the year 1897.

I am not interested in your interpretations of how Organe was Ooni or how oghoni was Ooni, or how Oghene became Ooni or how oghogho became Ooni. Show me the word Ooni, Oduduwa, Ife and Oranmiyan in Benin historical records before 1897.
Read the preceding comment.

Also read your own Bini dictionary as shown in the 1st attachment below.

Also read the summary of the conclusions reached by the world’s historical scholarship as attached in the 2nd attachment below.

None of these sources show the name “TAO”. It must be really hard for you not to be paranoid that the whole world is out against you. See a psychiatrist.

You have your work cut out for you. Do more research and come back with Benin history written before 1897 that mentioned Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan.
Yes, I have it ready since God knows when, but you will have it child when you show me the following names (prior to 1897) in Benin history:

Eweka I
Uwuakhuahen
Henmihen
Ewedo
Oguola
Edoni
Udagbedo
Ohen
Egbeka
Orobiru
Uwaifiokun
Ewuare I
Ezoti
Olua
Ozolua
Esigie
Orhogbua
Ehengbuda
Ohuan
Ohenzae
Akenkpaye
Akengbedo
Ore-Oghene
Ewuakpe
Ozuere
Akenzua I
Eresoyen
Akengbuda
Obanosa
Ogbebo.

If you fail to show me one of these names, then I will be forced to conclude (like your dumbass) that these names are no more than fairy tales which have absolutely nothing to do with Benin kingdom.

Your story so far is not different from the Igbo version that says, Oba Eweka was actually Oba Iweka from Nri, Ozolua was an Igbo man with the Ozor title from Nri.
I don’t really care so much what one ethnic group thinks about another ethnic group.

Instead, I consider what an ethnic group says about itself. And all the early evidence from Benin kingdom (be it archaeological, written, or oral) all point to Ife as the source of its monarchies and its ‘bronze’ casting tradition.

Peace!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria / Benue Community Exhumes Corpse After 48 Years, To Be Reburied In Hometown (PIX) / Common 'madness' In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.