Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

My Interview Experience - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Interview Experience (16036 Views)

My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 3:27pm On Aug 14, 2021
So I attended an interview this morning, I applied as a farm manager. It's for a big farm that also has an hotel. We were called to present ourselves at their hotel at 8am in the morning prompt.

I got their around 7:50am. I was ushered in by the security. I have to say, it's an A+ hotel. Exquisite, full of luxery. I met people who came for the interview at their open bar. We were up to 20 in number.

I won't say I did not get intimidated. I mean their are young guys at the hotel, swimming, playing basketball, working out at the gym and they're all young. Like under 30. I'm the youngest out of the applicant I saw on seat btw.

The interview did not start until around 10am. We were kept sitted at the open bar doing nothing. The sun was out today so it wasn't pleasant sitting down at all.

It eventually got to my turn around 12:30pm. Yeah, it means I won't catch my beloveth man united at their first game of the season. Gosh! I came in, and the young chubby beautiful lady helping the elderly man conducting the interview codely signaled me to greet. Gosh, were are my manners.

I said "well done sir".

I'll refer him to as the Man henceforth.

The Man said what do I mean by 'well done sir'.
Still standing I replied 'I saw that you're busy with works on your desk and I have to greet.'

He replied "Am I the one that gave him work to do that I have to say well done? Don't you know well done is after a work given has being done and the giver has to complement on a job well done? You don't say well done in an interview. It's only my boss that can tell me well done. I know you don't know that, but now you know. Next time say Good Afternoon. You can have your seat"

When did well done become an insult??

Of the many interview questions that I was asked and I couldn't answer perfectly, one comes to mind.

I was asked to talked about what I know about Palm Kannel. I said we could get a lot from Palm kanel, we could make Palm oil from the kanel,and the by product of the kanel can be meshed and used as fuel and stuff like that

"Stuff like that?" The Man said.
"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?
"No" I replied. (I'm just 27 btw, I have a forever young look).
"Stuff like that? You don't say that in an interview. It's grammatically correct, but it's wrong to say in an interview. Who are you? You just say stuff like that?"

I felt I committed a war crime to be tagged yahoo boy cos I said 'stuff like that in an interview'.

He said good day.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 14, 2021
Yoruba boy
E say "E Ku ise sir" grin grin
You honestly should have said Good Afternoon. That is more appropriate and formal.

And "stuff like that" passes the message that you're being flippant with the interview.

About the rest, he's an elderly man. That's how they talk

138 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by arthurwillia(m): 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2021
Oo dem suppose knack you 2 by 2 ni
I no fit laugh
Well done sir oo
Eku ise nibeyen o oo

That man wicked sha

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by scrolldown88: 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2021
Stuff like that is just like saying etc. Back then in school etc has saved student a lot of trouble, especially when you know you're supposed to list 5 items and you only know or remember 2. Etc, or and so on, is the "legal" way of saying stuff like that in an interview.

Next time use etc instead of stuff like that

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ellegacy:
So I attended an interview this morning, I applied as a farm manager. It's for a big farm that also has an hotel. We were called to present ourselves at their hotel at 8am in the morning prompt.

I got their around 7:50am. I was ushered in by the security. I have to say, it's an A+ hotel. Exquisite, full of luxery. I met people who came for the interview at their open bar. We were up to 20 in number.

I won't say I did not get intimidated. I mean their are young guys at the hotel, swimming, playing basketball, working out at the gym and they're all young. Like under 30. I'm the youngest out of the applicant I saw on seat btw.

The interview did not start until around 10am. We were kept sitted at the open bar doing nothing. The sun was out today so it wasn't pleasant sitting down at all.

It eventually got to my turn around 12:30pm. Yeah, it means I won't catch my beloveth man united at their first game of the season. Gosh! I came in, and the young chubby beautiful lady helping the elderly man conducting the interview codely signaled me to greet. Gosh, were are my manners.

I said "well done sir".

Still standing I replied 'I saw that you're busy with works on your desk and I have to greet.'

He replied "Am I the one that gave him work to do that I have to say well done? Don't you know well done is after a work given has being done and the giver has to complement on a job well done? You don't say well done in an interview. It's only my boss that can tell me well done. I know you don't know that, but now you know. Next time say Good Afternoon. You can have your seat"

Of the many interview questions that I was asked and I couldn't answer perfectly, one comes to mind.

I was asked to talked about what I know about Palm Kannel. I said we could get a lot from Palm kanel, we could make Palm oil from the kanel,and the by product of the kanel can be meshed and used as fuel and stuff like that

"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?
"Stuff like that? You don't say that in an interview. It's grammatically correct, but it's wrong to say in an interview. Who are you? You just say stuff like that?"

I felt I committed a war crime to be tagged yahoo boy cos I said 'stuff like that in an interview'.

He said good day.

You obviously don't deserve that job. You were completely unserious and careless

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by NigAmbassador: 9:52am On Aug 16, 2021
Never tell an African Elder, "Well done", before greeting them

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by tobtap: 1:22pm On Aug 16, 2021
cool
Re: My Interview Experience by Childofaking: 1:23pm On Aug 16, 2021
It does not sound like a serious job interview to me.

''well done sir" is not a formal way of greeting and definitely not for an interview.

"Stuff like that" is so informal.

''You guys" nearly earned me a slap from a senior management person in my place of work.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by Afonjashapmouth: 1:23pm On Aug 16, 2021
You need to work on your self confidence and communication skill if you are serious about working in not just the real world but this competitive clime. Your level of chill is too cold for even me not to talk of an employer and please don't mistake it for confidence

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by diplomat058(m): 1:23pm On Aug 16, 2021
Lol. Not every interview is a chitchat

3 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by COdeGenesis: 1:24pm On Aug 16, 2021
He is right. How can you work effectively as a farm manager when you do not know how to express yourself or communicate? On the other hand he correctly you and you clearly can see that you were wrong.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by punisha: 1:24pm On Aug 16, 2021
I won't even give you that job in your dream...

Fix the below points before your next interview and maybe they will call you at your next stop.

*Zero manner of approach.
*lacks courtesy.
*arrogant
*Inferiority complex (Other guys intimidated u)
*Not prepared for interviews.

I wish u well in your future endeavors.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by babyfaceafrica: 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2021
Lolz, he has a point technically. It's just like saying as so on as so forth while giving examples. It's wrong. Just say what you know and move. Wish you well

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by Sonnobax15(m): 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2021
grin
For this country,na who get spare mind dey go for interviews without expecting any smack down from the interviewer lipsrsealed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by Anabiodun(f): 1:26pm On Aug 16, 2021
Are u getting the job or not?
Re: My Interview Experience by airsaylongcome: 1:27pm On Aug 16, 2021
Palm Kannel....your prospective "boss" is in for a shocker if he makes the lethal mistake of hiring you

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by Ewizard(m): 1:27pm On Aug 16, 2021
Re: My Interview Experience by Solidkay(m): 1:27pm On Aug 16, 2021
Shey you know say you no get the job sha

Western culture or not, some old men still dey analog,
I believe you've learnt your lessons.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by careytommy37(m): 1:29pm On Aug 16, 2021
You really have a lot to learn about manners.
Well done is not a greeting. The good elderly man corrected you but you felt he had no business doing that. You have a lot to learn about courtesy.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by almsofgold: 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2021
Apart from the blunder you made,you sound like someone so full of himself. I think the old man saw that and gave you a refreshers course in manners and humility. Imagine saying "when did weldone become an insult" and "stuffs like that"
This is not a curse,but you wont get that jobgrin

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by Richy4(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2021
They made life unnecessarily difficult for you... What will it take for that man/ the panel to be polite and nice to you? sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by OLULAW: 1:32pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

I said "well done sir".

"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?

He said good day.

I hope you realised you’ve just flunked the interview. I would neither blame your English teacher for poor communication skills nor your parents/guardian for lack of social skills. It took the assistant to nudge you to say hello. Sex and cash Nigerian degrees will get holders interviews but not secure them jobs.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by wunmi590(m): 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2021

Why would you say Weldon sir in an interview....

Where did you keep your good morning or good afternoon?

Anyways, just forget about that job and learn from your mistake...

Wish you well in your future endeavor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by Goldenheart(m): 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2021
cool OP you f.up sha...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by emmaobi2(m): 1:34pm On Aug 16, 2021
Re: My Interview Experience by moscobabs(m): 1:34pm On Aug 16, 2021
Anabiodun:
Are u getting the job or not?

is not a curse but i doubt he would get the job. He sounds unserious grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by Tapout(m): 1:35pm On Aug 16, 2021
ChybuzzDD:

You obviously don't deserve that job. You were completely unserious and careless

I swear, and quite uncultured. Which one be "wehdonesir" for interview?? Kai!! grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 16, 2021
shocked

Tip:

Give what belongs to Caesar to Caesar.

What I do when I go for an interview is to immediately study my interviewer.
If he/she is young and sassy, I respond in a young and sassy way.
If he’s old and old school, I give him or her old school way.

The thing with old people in the workplace is that they exhibit “emotional extremes”.
They can either be too nice or too bad. They either want so much respect or too little respect.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by Brandler: 1:38pm On Aug 16, 2021
Dear Nigerian youths, Please learn basic etiquettes
1. You entered someone's office, you didn't greet them and you want a job? Someone had to signal you to greet
2. You greeted Weldone sir, welldone for what exactly?
3. Imagine you said "The young chubby beautiful lady" had to signal you, Its obvious you were focused on the wrong thing, you possibly lost focus for you not to have seen the other man in the room
4. Its a formal setting, you are not supposed to be very formal in words and conduct. Even if you do not know much about palm kennel, your job was to wow them and show them how smart you are. Perhaps tell them other things you know about farming.
5. Again you were asked if you were a yahoo boy , they didn't tag you a yahoo boy, though I feel this is out of place but again on a second note. In a country like Nigeria , they might have had similar experience
6. You need to do better. It is obvious you are not matured for that job. You visited a place for the first time and you already told us lots of information about the place, one of the job of a farm manager of a farm with a resort is to learn to keep your mouth closed.
7. You said you couldn't answer most of the question, I am still trying to understand your reasons of posting this here.
I am sure you must have learnt one of two lessons. I am on a good mood today, I am planning to train over 50 people on digital marketing and freelancing. It is going to be a free physical class to celebrate our plus one anniversary.

kindly fill the form below https://forms.gle/mNuXi7MZ8unju3CR8 for the free physical digital marketing / Freelancing course in Lagos

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Interview Experience by dotmhan(m): 1:39pm On Aug 16, 2021
Op... Honestly ehn. You don't deserve the job. You need to learn interview etiquette

Ellegacy:

I said "well done sir".

"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?

He said good day.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Interview Experience by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2021
hmmm alright
Re: My Interview Experience by Anabiodun(f): 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2021
moscobabs:

is not a curse but i doubt he would get the job. He sounds unserious grin

Just joking and even with good performance, we will still be asking for grace/luck/miracle to happen.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#Immigration2000 Continue Protest In Aso Villa Today (Photos) / Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? / Salary For Admin Assistant At UN World Food Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.