Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

My Interview Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Interview Experience (16046 Views)

My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Interview Experience by almsofgold: 1:42pm On Aug 16, 2021
Solidkay:
Shey you know say you no get the job sha

Western culture or not, some old men still dey analog,
I believe you've learnt your lessons.
since moral instructions has been removed from schools,our youth moral decadence is on an all time high

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by MondayOsunbor(m): 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:
So I attended an interview this morning, I applied as a farm manager. It's for a big farm that also has an hotel. We were called to present ourselves at their hotel at 8am in the morning prompt.

I got their around 7:50am. I was ushered in by the security. I have to say, it's an A+ hotel. Exquisite, full of luxery. I met people who came for the interview at their open bar. We were up to 20 in number.

I won't say I did not get intimidated. I mean their are young guys at the hotel, swimming, playing basketball, working out at the gym and they're all young. Like under 30. I'm the youngest out of the applicant I saw on seat btw.

The interview did not start until around 10am. We were kept sitted at the open bar doing nothing. The sun was out today so it wasn't pleasant sitting down at all.

It eventually got to my turn around 12:30pm. Yeah, it means I won't catch my beloveth man united at their first game of the season. Gosh! I came in, and the young chubby beautiful lady helping the elderly man conducting the interview codely signaled me to greet. Gosh, were are my manners.

I said "well done sir".

I'll refer him to as the Man henceforth.

The Man said what do I mean by 'well done sir'.
Still standing I replied 'I saw that you're busy with works on your desk and I have to greet.'

He replied "Am I the one that gave him work to do that I have to say well done? Don't you know well done is after a work given has being done and the giver has to complement on a job well done? You don't say well done in an interview. It's only my boss that can tell me well done. I know you don't know that, but now you know. Next time say Good Afternoon. You can have your seat"

When did well done become an insult??

Of the many interview questions that I was asked and I couldn't answer perfectly, one comes to mind.

I was asked to talked about what I know about Palm Kannel. I said we could get a lot from Palm kanel, we could make Palm oil from the kanel,and the by product of the kanel can be meshed and used as fuel and stuff like that

"Stuff like that?" The Man said.
"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?
"No" I replied. (I'm just 27 btw, I have a forever young look).
"Stuff like that? You don't say that in an interview. It's grammatically correct, but it's wrong to say in an interview. Who are you? You just say stuff like that?"

I felt I committed a war crime to be tagged yahoo boy cos I said 'stuff like that in an interview'.

He said good day.

I said "well done sir".

idiot ! at this point you don fail the interview
Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
Yoruba boy
E say "E Ku ise sir" grin grin
You honestly should have said Good Afternoon. That is more appropriate and formal.

And "stuff like that" passes the message that you're being flippant with the interview.

About the rest, he's an elderly man. That's how they talk

Thanks man
Re: My Interview Experience by jackpot(f): 1:49pm On Aug 16, 2021
During my own time, I was cautioned for saying YEAH in place of YES.

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:50pm On Aug 16, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
Yoruba boy
E say "E Ku ise sir" grin grin
You honestly should have said Good Afternoon. That is more appropriate and formal.

And "stuff like that" passes the message that you're being flippant with the interview.

About the rest, he's an elderly man. That's how they talk

Baba, I be correct Yoruba boy o
Re: My Interview Experience by Callmed: 1:50pm On Aug 16, 2021
It's an interview.

All the words that come out of your mouth should sound as formal as possible. angry

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:51pm On Aug 16, 2021
scrolldown88:
Stuff like that is just like saying etc. Back then in school etc has saved student a lot of trouble, especially when you know you're supposed to list 5 items and you only know or remember 2. Etc, or and so on, is the "legal" way of saying stuff like that in an interview.

Next time use etc instead of stuff like that

Thanks man
Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:52pm On Aug 16, 2021
Callmed:
It's an interview.

All the words that come out of your mouth should sound as formal as possible. angry

I know that now. I'll be more cautious of what I say next time.

7 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by phemmyfour: 1:52pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:
So I attended an interview this morning, I applied as a farm manager. It's for a big farm that also has an hotel. We were called to present ourselves at their hotel at 8am in the morning prompt.

I got their around 7:50am. I was ushered in by the security. I have to say, it's an A+ hotel. Exquisite, full of luxery. I met people who came for the interview at their open bar. We were up to 20 in number.

I won't say I did not get intimidated. I mean their are young guys at the hotel, swimming, playing basketball, working out at the gym and they're all young. Like under 30. I'm the youngest out of the applicant I saw on seat btw.

The interview did not start until around 10am. We were kept sitted at the open bar doing nothing. The sun was out today so it wasn't pleasant sitting down at all.

It eventually got to my turn around 12:30pm. Yeah, it means I won't catch my beloveth man united at their first game of the season. Gosh! I came in, and the young chubby beautiful lady helping the elderly man conducting the interview codely signaled me to greet. Gosh, were are my manners.

I said "well done sir".

Still standing I replied 'I saw that you're busy with works on your desk and I have to greet.'

He replied "Am I the one that gave him work to do that I have to say well done? Don't you know well done is after a work given has being done and the giver has to complement on a job well done? You don't say well done in an interview. It's only my boss that can tell me well done. I know you don't know that, but now you know. Next time say Good Afternoon. You can have your seat"

Of the many interview questions that I was asked and I couldn't answer perfectly, one comes to mind.

I was asked to talked about what I know about Palm Kannel. I said we could get a lot from Palm kanel, we could make Palm oil from the kanel,and the by product of the kanel can be meshed and used as fuel and stuff like that

"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?
"Stuff like that? You don't say that in an interview. It's grammatically correct, but it's wrong to say in an interview. Who are you? You just say stuff like that?"

I felt I committed a war crime to be tagged yahoo boy cos I said 'stuff like that in an interview'.

He said good day.
Palm kernel not kannel

Good morning/afternoon is appropriate not well done in an interview.

In a formal meeting, you don't use informal language like stuff, guy etc. You are not in a chat with your friends/family.

Overall, going by your performance at the interview.....I don't think you'll get the job.

3 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by wizdooarchy3(m): 1:54pm On Aug 16, 2021
From your narration above your DESTINY is in YAHOOO YAHOO

Pls kindly stop wasting your time attending interviews COX the next one they will break your head
Full stop...bye bye
Re: My Interview Experience by Funkybabee(f): 1:55pm On Aug 16, 2021
Well done sir

It sound funny
Re: My Interview Experience by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:55pm On Aug 16, 2021
You were not ready for the interview and you didn't have any interview experience as I can see.
As a matter of fact, "well done sir" is a criminal statement when referring to a boss or an interviewer. They regard it as a nonchalant form of greeting and find it disrespectful.

"Stuffs like that" is a little naive too. Gives the impression that you don't know what to say and you don't care.

Overall, I think the interviewer was harsh too. Seeing that you look young, he should have been a little more relaxed.

4 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:56pm On Aug 16, 2021
phemmyfour:
Palm kernel not kannel

Good morning/afternoon is appropriate not well done in an interview.

In a formal meeting, you don't use informal language like stuff, guy etc. You are not in a chat with your friends/family.

Overall, going by your performance at the interview.....I don't think you'll get the job.

Thanks man. I know I'm not getting the Job. At least have learnt something.

4 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:56pm On Aug 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
You were not ready for the interview and you didn't have any interview experience as I can see

Nada bro. It was an experience though.

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by pocohantas(f): 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2021
If you want to get the gravity of a statement, translate it to your local language.

Imagine walking into an interview hall to tell the interviewer “Jisike Sir”. Haba!! You were too unserious, but don’t overthink it, it is a learning curve for you.

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2021
Funkybabee:
Well done sir

It sound funny

It wasn't funny when I was schooled grin
Re: My Interview Experience by sammyscholar(m): 1:58pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

I said "well done sir".

"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?

He said good day.
My friend, you are the problem here. You have not mastered the art of professional communication. Your choice of words and statement in such professional setting also did not cut it. First, you used wrong greeting in that instance. You don't also say 'stuff like that' when you need to be clear, precise and direct in the message you're passing.

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 1:59pm On Aug 16, 2021
pocohantas:
If you want to get the gravity of a statement, translate it to your local language.

Imagine walking into an interview hall to tell the interviewer “Jisike Sir”. Haba!! You were too unserious, but don’t overthink it, it is a learning curve for you.

Exactly ma. I was ignorant, but I learnt vital things.
Re: My Interview Experience by BlissGod: 2:00pm On Aug 16, 2021
Your type are the reason why statistics would say Nigerians youths are lazy.

You have tremendous typo error. You entered an office and was being reminded to greet and on top of that you couldn't offer a decent greeting.

You're an embarrassment. What do you mean by "stuffs like that?"

Please go and retrain yourself of simple etiquettes and mannerism.
Re: My Interview Experience by Juliearth(f): 2:00pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

I said "well done sir".

"Stuff like that"
"Are you a Yahoo boy"?

He said good day.

Sorry about your ordeal. If the job is meant to be yours, you will be called.

However, you must learn from this experience. "Weldone" is not a formal way of greeting your interviewer(s). Good morning, good afternoon or or good evening sound better. Also, "stuffs like" that was a turn off. I guess that came out involuntarily because the interviewer threw you off balance with the whole "weldome sir" lecture. Next time, no matter the reception that you receive, keep your cool and be confident!

I wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

Nada bro. It was an experience though.
In case of next time.
As a matter of fact, "well done sir" is a criminal statement when referring to a boss or an interviewer. They regard it as a nonchalant form of greeting and find it disrespectful.

"Stuffs like that" is a little naive too. Gives the impression that you don't know what to say and you don't care.

Overall, I think the interviewer was harsh too. Seeing that you look young, he should have been a little more relaxed.
Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
You were not ready for the interview and you didn't have any interview experience as I can see.

Thanks man. I felt attacked, but I know I was wrong. It definitely won't happen again.

3 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

Thanks man
You're welcome.
All the best in your future endeavours

2 Likes

Re: My Interview Experience by Funkybabee(f): 2:02pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

It wasn't funny when I was schooled grin

You need to learn contesy

And you shouldn't rush to give response in an interview

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by Ellegacy(m): 2:03pm On Aug 16, 2021
Juliearth:

Sorry about your ordeal. If the job is meant to be yours, you will be called.

However, you must learn from this experience. "Weldone" is not a formal way of greeting your interviewer(s). Good morning, good afternoon or or good evening sound better. Also, "stuffs like" that was a turn off. I guess that came out involuntarily because the interviewer threw you off balance with the whole "weldome sir" lecture. Next time, no matter the reception that you receive, keep your cool and be confident!

I wish you all the best

Thanks ma. I really need it.

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by Treasure17(m): 2:04pm On Aug 16, 2021
almsofgold:
Apart from the blunder you made,you sound like someone so full of himself. I think the old man saw that and gave you a refreshers course in manners and humility. Imagine saying "when did weldone become an insult" and "stuffs like that"
This is not a curse,but you wont get that jobgrin
grin
Re: My Interview Experience by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:04pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

Thanks man. I felt attacked, but I know I was wrong. It definitely won't happen again.
Keep your head up bro. There are better offers waiting for you and I can also categorically tell you that hotel jobs are not good jobs cuz they don't pay well and they overwork staffs. Especially one that have farms. My sister once worked at one and I had to employ her just to make her leave the job. She had to forfeit 3 months salary that they didn't pay.
Re: My Interview Experience by Juliearth(f): 2:06pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ellegacy:

Thanks ma. I really need it.

You are welcome!
Re: My Interview Experience by SmartyPants(m): 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2021
Childofaking:
It does not sound like a serious job interview to me.

''well done sir" is not a formal way of greeting and definitely not for an interview.

Stuff like that is so informal.

''You guys" nearly earned me a slap from a senior management person in my place of work.

That says a lot more about the place.
Re: My Interview Experience by dingbang(m): 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2021
Everything he said is right. Yall just lack manners these days. Did you even prep for the interview? These children sef
Re: My Interview Experience by Octopusssy(f): 2:28pm On Aug 16, 2021
This one never tey for labour market. By the time your shoes bend for one corner, you will learn to be prepared for interviews

1 Like

Re: My Interview Experience by LastProphet: 2:34pm On Aug 16, 2021
Lost the job, poor manners, well dine sir as first greeting? Very poor upbringing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews / Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden / How Do Introverts Cope In Job Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.