Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? (43050 Views)

I Was Deported From Abroad. Urgent Advice Needed / 'It's Not Worth It'; Couple Who Returned From Libya Amid Suffering. Photos / "I Was Deceived By My Friend"; Nigerian Lady Who Returned From Libya. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 9:38am On Sep 16, 2021
bepositive11:

It's heart wrenching to see old people homeless. I can't stand it. Don't know why Western countries do nothing about them

Money is important but so is humanity. Old people should be treated with respect and dignity

Some homeless old women even get to the point of selling s*x for money. Really really sad
In what country?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by udemzeus(m): 9:38am On Sep 16, 2021
I agree with your Ghanian Friend, for me relocating to western countries to get a better life is a no go area for me.

I don't know why Nigerians don't bother to think at all, the world is now open more than ever, you can be in Nigeria and earn in hard currencies such as Dollars and Euros, the problem is that most Nigerians don't want to develop themselves.

For Me I will build in Nigeria whether good or bad, dem dey sells the house for Lekki oo if you like no come buy, dey US dey suffer.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by seunny4lif(m): 9:41am On Sep 16, 2021
erico2k2:

The issue of returning back to Nigeria is a personal choice, just cos you do not want to does not make it BAD idea! But there are loads of us Nigerians living abroad thinking investing in one's country is a waste of space, the quicker we realize the new narrative is what we have back home the quicker we get real with the reality that whatever we own abroad isn't ours
Do we own Nigeria?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by seyz91(m): 9:41am On Sep 16, 2021
cheesy
mariahAngel:
Op, just in case you’re planning to return home, at least wait until Buhari is out of our lives!

He’s the pain in our collective butts!
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 9:43am On Sep 16, 2021
seunny4lif:

Do we own Nigeria?
I dont understand ur question?
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Jaqenhghar: 9:46am On Sep 16, 2021
Beloved3:

Nice one Klass. Very educative as usual.

Just a little note from me.
Tony really should have stayed one more year and gotten the citizenship. What he did was like refusing to climax after all the hard work.

I have a friend too who has got UK citizenship. He's been there for years. He recently sold his house over there (paid for completely through mortgage) and came to Nigeria to build a very spacious duplex.

He then set up a business in Owerri which didn't yield much returns. So he came back to the UK and worked for a year and gathered more money.

He's still looking to go back to Nigeria and establish again.

Being a citizen gives him the leverage to be able to shuffle between UK and Nigeria depending on his needs.

By the way Klass, which is the exact idea of retirement that you envision? Is it to have your own business as means of income or to have passive incomes from a stream of investments

If he is not careful that is how he will end up. Shuffling.
Work hard, take the money back to Niggeria., do big boy for awhile then go back when you have squandered everything. You can't run a successful business that way.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Goldbw122(m): 9:46am On Sep 16, 2021
Smile4mee01:

Thank you Klass....

Nothing beats passives income. An income you earn with little or no effort.

Not all of us have that opportunity to earn so much, but if you can earn and save that much abroad. You can set yourself up for life in Nigeria and put yourself in a position to build generational wealth.

I am not talking doing business ooo, I am talking acquiring assets that generate passive income.

Also , alot of our people go through alot just to have papers. So change courses, u will see a someone good in engineering studying to be a nurse just so he can get papers. Or marrting people they have no love for just for papers sake. That's alot of burden on mental health alone.

Continuing to stay abroad forever , may not always be the best.

May God guide us sha.
Amen
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Jaqenhghar: 9:48am On Sep 16, 2021
erico2k2:

The issue of returning back to Nigeria is a personal choice, just cos you do not want to does not make it BAD idea! But there are loads of us Nigerians living abroad thinking investing in one's country is a waste of space, the quicker we realize the new narrative is what we have back home the quicker we get real with the reality that whatever we own abroad isn't ours
They fail to understand that Niggeria is unstable. I cant think of any small or medium business that has lasted up to 10 years or grown to become a major business without the backing of politicians, or generals,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Juoflife1(f): 9:49am On Sep 16, 2021
Interesting thread..

Following.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by tiger28: 9:49am On Sep 16, 2021
After Godogodo ( the most dangerous SW robber...Google))and his crew paid my household a visit , HEAVILY armed in one of the "most" secured and plush estates on the island in Lagos.........I ran so fast from that shithole. Was MISDIAGNOSED by a Doctor, After spending about 6M in " one of the best hospital" in Lagos, a visiting Nigerian American doctor friend took just "FIVE MINUTES" to correctly diagnose my issue as JUST THYROID (Naija doctors had me pay for expensive colonoscopy, HIv , Typhoid, expensive ECHO test twice and many others) I am at peace in my second Country USA. Haven't been back in 6 years when dollar was N150 . SOON as I got to Yankee, fed gave me weekly emergency money right away, full medical insurance and free tuition for my masters. ........The Best part, no one can tell me anything about Nigeria ( come home, come home BS)at least I can say I have been there , done that and my Children ( all graduates) always talk about the robbery and the Thieving Police) . I have lost so many friends due to sickness or armed robbery, I have another one in Ibadan that haven't been paid a salary in "two" years.Even visiting Nigeria now isn't safe anymore unlike back then. I will rather RETIRE in a peaceful environment....NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER!!!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by erico2k2(m): 9:57am On Sep 16, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

They fail to understand that Niggeria is unstable. I cant think of any small or medium business that has lasted up to 10 years or grown to become a major business without the backing of politicians, or generals,
bro I disagree with you.The mindset of most 9ja people is follow follow.However dont you have a passion?? if you do turn it into business.There are loads of people who have left the Uk and US to go do their start ups, if you are on youtube google the Nigerians who returned to set up mechanic workshop, even tattoo school and body art, I know up to 5 women who returned to PHC to set up beauty spa etc and are doing wonderfully well

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Jaycee07(m): 9:58am On Sep 16, 2021
InTheCloudySky:
Re. his concerns:

Inclusion ― If this is important to him, he has to seek it out himself. He can get involved in his community or at church, or move to another city, state, or province (depending on the country he's in). Bottom line is leaving the country may not be the solution because he may very well experience the same thing in Ghana when he goes back, especially after being away for years.

Women are powerful here ― Women aren't awarded settlements in divorce cases simply because they're women. Several factors will be looked at but typically each situation is unique and treated as such by courts. If he's so concerned about this, he should remain single, or sign a prenup before marriage.

Loss of culture ― When/if he has kids, one of his duties as a parent would be to instill his culture into them. Believe it or not, more and more people are taking pride in their roots. That's why DNA ancestry tests are becoming popular. These days, it's way cooler to say 'I'm American and _________ [insert other nationality]' or 'I'm Canadian and ___________ [insert other nationality]' than just 'I'm American' or 'I'm Canadian'.

Old age ― I was watching a home listing show last week in which a white woman was adamant about buying a new house with a spacious room for her mother (who visits her and her husband every summer for 4-months). The father is late and it was important to her that her mother has a big, comfortable room in their new home. Her husband was very understanding and they ended up finding the perfect home that they were looking for. The point is that the idea that people abroad abandon their old parents in retirement homes, isn't always true. There are some whose parents live with them and who hire caregivers to look after them while they're at work. In any case, older adults are treated much worse in Africa, some by their own kids, who won't hesitate to accuse them of being witches (https://www.nairaland.com/6695362/laws-abandoned-mother#104650184). Things like that don't happen abroad, where there're laws against elder abuse and the gov't spends millions of dollars every year to look after old people.

Re Old age: This is very true. Older folks(seniors) are well treated here in the United States. These are individuals that have spent their productive years working and remitting to uncle sam(IRS)
I totally agree that seniors are badly treated in Africa. I also agree that the notion that kids abandon their older parents for the most part are untrue.
In conclusion, there's no perfect place in the world at this time. But sometimes, when i read stories of killings in Nigeria, my heart skips. The other day I read a story of a very successful business man who lived in Atlanta, Georgia-US, visited his home town in Edo state, only to be kidnapped and killed.
The social safety net in western nations(GDP, Per Capita,Gross national income, purchasing power parity) etc are way better.
The stress and madness in Nigeria is mind-boggling especially with Buhari and his goons at the helm.
In the final analysis, if you have a decent job and try to stay focused with little or no distractions, Western country is the best bet.
Racism has always been there, and will always be there. There's no guarantee that you wont be racially/tribally/economically profiled when you return back to Africa.Make as much savings as you can. Build a business, add passive incomes to your earnings , get a good college education that appeals to top industry employer. Save, Save and and i repeat Save. With your 401K, social security and what ever savings you had, you should be able to retire early and have a prosperous future for the rest of your life.
one last thing: Naira is dwindling so terribly. Don't forget that there's a systemic failure in Nigeria, and until that is fixed, Nigeria remains a failed state.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by VTJN(m): 10:04am On Sep 16, 2021
abnot:
Initially yes I regretted but that was probably because I didn’t have a job/income. Felt the NYSC program was a waste. However the low cost of living in Lagos made it possible for me to afford things I couldn’t afford in ������� as my freelance jobs made it possible for me to rent an apartment in Lagos during the nysc year (1.3M per annum in 2014), spend a number of weekends In Abuja/Accra , bring in a pre-owned car from Florida and fund Friday/Saturday night outs . I was 24/25 then and that was what mattered to me. But now thinking about how to buy my apartment, retirement funds, children education and the increasing cost of living i’m considering another break from ��
Are you married now?
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by seanjy4konji: 10:07am On Sep 16, 2021
Just know sapa respect no man..age or ethnicity...if it hold you...It don be for you for nigeria be that....

Dangote trailer also respect no body....

Airport is always ope...be coming...
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Truth234(m): 10:15am On Sep 16, 2021
tiger28:
After Godogodo ( the most dangerous SW robber...Google))and his crew paid my household a visit , HEAVILY armed in one of the "most" secured and plush estates on the island in Lagos.........I ran so fast from that shithole. Was MISDIAGNOSED by a Doctor, After spending about 6M in " one of the best hospital" in Lagos, a visiting Nigerian American doctor friend took just "FIVE MINUTES" to correctly diagnose my issue as JUST THYROID (Naija doctors had me pay for expensive colonoscopy, HIv , Typhoid, expensive ECHO test twice and many others) I am at peace in my second Country USA. Haven't been back in 6 years when dollar was N150 . SOON as I got to Yankee, fed gave me weekly emergency money right away, full medical insurance and free tuition for my masters. ........The Best part, no one can tell me anything about Nigeria ( come home, come home BS)at least I can say I have been there , done that and my Children ( all graduates) always talk about the robbery and the Thieving Police) . I have lost so many friends due to sickness or armed robbery, I have another one in Ibadan that haven't been paid a salary in "two" years.Even visiting Nigeria now isn't safe anymore unlike back then. I will rather RETIRE in a peaceful environment....NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER!!!

Nigeria is a very tough place. I returned last year but learning to live on the edge and constantly reminding myself this is Nigeria, where nothing works. However, opportunities abound!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Bush2013: 10:20am On Sep 16, 2021
tiger28:
May God help us sir.
You captured the situation as it is.
Please sir, favour your boy oh! A struggling 5th year medical student in Niger with no sponsor. Details in your dm if it's convenient for you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by egoldman(m): 10:21am On Sep 16, 2021
I came back after 20 years, wish I had come back earlier, I can see opportunities.

This doesn't mean this government no dey Bleep up.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Qc1(m): 10:22am On Sep 16, 2021
I first left Nigeria in 1992 to NY traveled back to naija in 2012. A lot have changed and I couldn't help it but felt sad for myself in many ways because I can't just ignore the fact that those little boys I send $100 here and there have their own house and me "boda obodo oyinbo" have got nothing but all those expensive material things only. LORD! That was the beginning of a new Journey for me. I moved to Calgary and started working 2 jobs + weekend part time when available. After dropping about N200m+ on my project and just got tired of working all those years and need to take a break. I relocated back to naija 2 years ago to enjoy the fruits of my hard labor not knowing Buhari will turn the country to hell. What's the significance of living in a mansion in hell?

The thing is... the quicker you accept that nothing works in Nigeria is the beginning of wisdom!

Of course I can dust off my blue kpali and return back to America any time I want. However, when you own your business and run it with determination plus God's grace in Nigeria is still better than $80,000/year salary in the N. America. The fact is that there is no limit to the growth of your business if you decided to bend the rules in your favor in Nigeria. You can't do this in a sane country like Canada. Moreover, the peace and the joy of putting smiles on other people faces is just priceless.

Yes, there are many regrets but... Naija sweet die!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by neyoohhh: 10:23am On Sep 16, 2021
Although I'm still abroad, I used to think like your Ghanian friend. Had worked and invested for the most part reaching my fire goals early and now have foreign assets big enough to pay me a doctor's salary without ever working again even though I still work, plus citizenship.

About three years ago I started planning to go back to Nigeria with heavy business plans .

I bought a property, invested in Nigerian securities etc but within three year's everything collapsed with inflation.

Now, with the socio cultural changes (woke degeneracy) and economic decimation, I've decided to stay put here.

Can't find a decent partner in Nigeria( most are damaged) can't raise kids in Nigeria... (Too much wokeseim , drug's and reckless people out there).

So would just stay here and keep safe.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Jbleenk: 10:27am On Sep 16, 2021
I would say in the long run I haven’t had any regrets. But recounting, my early days in Nigeria was full of struggle. At a point I had to make do with 60k salary per month even though I’m a master degree holder from a university in Uk.

But I had fun and made a lot of connects then. Now, I’m a lot more financially stable. So generally I wouldn’t say the move was regrettable.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by kushe: 10:30am On Sep 16, 2021
Nigeria breaks my heart almost on a daily basis,but being here is a choice I made over a decade ago because I had dreams of an amazing future here.
Nigeria is like a beautiful bride you hope to spend the rest of your life with,but then her character stinks and she keeps showing you new traits that just leave you exhausted.
I love it here most especially as something about being here keeps God on your mind.
I still love Nigeria and I believe in making it here but I absolutely detest the leadership even though at this point I no longer blame the government for our woes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by 9japride(m): 10:30am On Sep 16, 2021
Why can't things work well properly in Nigeria? I taught to be a leader was the easiest thing? If not why are politicians killing themselves to become president? If it was difficult to govern the country, then nobody will aspire to be the president. Any thrend that discourages people to either come back or not to travel out, I see them as sponsored post. The environment is too harsh for business and the most painful aspect is that Nigeria is far better than majority of the countries people travel to, but evil/wicked leaders and their supporters won't let Nigerians enjoy the country. Smh
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by NaBanga: 10:32am On Sep 16, 2021
Which politics will he enter with so little money? After he purchases his primary home (which won't be extravagant) and pays for daily living, he may have about $50,000 usd left. Do you really believe you (your friend) can enter politics with this and without any current connections? So many Nigerian (Ghanian) men are foolish. The greedy ones will see the foolishness, paint big dreams for the man and chop the remaining 50K in less than a year. Even Tonto Dikeh has more opportunity to enter politics than this one.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Killermamba: 10:35am On Sep 16, 2021
Smile4mee01:
Most Nigerians youth would fancy traveling abroad to better their lives, which is not a bad thing. In fact, some people's lives have changed for the better only because they traveled out of Nigeria.

However, this thread is about those who chose to return home for reasons such as
1. Inability to get legal papers to continue to reside there.
2. Personal choice
3. Better Job offers
And by Abroad, I mean developed “1st world countries “like USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany etc

As a Nigerian in Diaspora myself, one of my good friends (We both in our 30s’) who is Ghanaian is ready to go back to his country. He has been very frugal here saving over $100,000 cash/yr for the past 3 yrs. He says he has dedicated 3yrs of his life to working so he can set himself up for life. He worked as a health care support worker, taking care of the disabled and aged ppl, a job many people will consider dirty. His plan includes buying affordable rental real estate that can generate passive income. And retire at age 50. He is also good with stock trading and does that to generate some money on the side, something he can do anywhere in the world. He has plans to also go into politics as he feels he can impact his hometown.

Some of his concerns include:
1. Inclusion: Despite how well-spoken and intelligent he is, he never feels like he belongs here especially when he is being racially profiled.
2. Women are Powerful here. I have known this guy for a while and he is a decent Christian, but by marrying her he could lose everything he has worked for if things go south. The government does not want to know who is right or wrong oo, they would cut your assets and leave you to pay child support.
3. Loss of culture: He fears when he has kids, his children will lose a sense of their culture and tradition
4. Old age: Old age here can be scary too, especially when you grew up in Africa where we have a family-orientated family structure. When you are old here and can't support yourself. Families dump their aged parents in aged care facilities. Not the fault of the kids but it's how the system is run.

Anyway, I was wondering why don’t Nigerian’s dream the same dream. Some Nigerians turn out to be very successful abroad, but many are just living paycheck to paycheck and would be better off returning home where the money has much more value. 1USD = N505. Or is Nigeria so bad, that opportunities don’t lie in it? Remember the Indians, Chinese come here to take advantage.

I must give credit to Nigerians. We dey Hustle. God. Nigerians dey try.

It was when I met a 40yr old oyinbo that has retired that I started thinking deep that there is more to life than working working working.
Haven said all these, I know my country and the many issues we have. Security, healthcare, family or village people, etc. but Still, Are many Nigerians not better off going back home with all they have saved Abroad. Let's not forget, Banky W, Tinubu, Tiwa savage, Some Top Bank executives, and corporate ppl all returned home. Had they remained abroad, they could still have been just ok but maybe not as successful.
So this takes me back to the question

Nigerians who returned from Abroad, Any regret?

Moderator : Abeg front Page. Thank you
Plenty
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Kevsmart88(m): 10:38am On Sep 16, 2021
Reading some of those comments got me laughing real hard.
People who have never left the stores of this country should pls stfu.
Shey una think say na naija wey pipu full everywhere 4 Street dey snatch handbag say na homeless pipu.
Mtcheeeew!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 16, 2021
Nigeria is not that bad, it's the mentality of people about it.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by Jaqenhghar: 10:39am On Sep 16, 2021
erico2k2:

bro I disagree with you.The mindset of most 9ja people is follow follow.However dont you have a passion?? if you do turn it into business.There are loads of people who have left the Uk and US to go do their start ups, if you are on youtube google the Nigerians who returned to set up mechanic workshop, even tattoo school and body art, I know up to 5 women who returned to PHC to set up beauty spa etc and are doing wonderfully well
How old are those businesses
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by OkanlawonB(m): 10:41am On Sep 16, 2021
Smile4mee01:
Most Nigerians youth would fancy traveling abroad to better their lives, which is not a bad thing. In fact, some people's lives have changed for the better only because they traveled out of Nigeria.

However, this thread is about those who chose to return home for reasons such as
1. Inability to get legal papers to continue to reside there.
2. Personal choice
3. Better Job offers
And by Abroad, I mean developed “1st world countries “like USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany etc

As a Nigerian in Diaspora myself, one of my good friends (We both in our 30s’) who is Ghanaian is ready to go back to his country. He has been very frugal here saving over $100,000 cash/yr for the past 3 yrs. He says he has dedicated 3yrs of his life to working so he can set himself up for life. He worked as a health care support worker, taking care of the disabled and aged ppl, a job many people will consider dirty. His plan includes buying affordable rental real estate that can generate passive income. And retire at age 50. He is also good with stock trading and does that to generate some money on the side, something he can do anywhere in the world. He has plans to also go into politics as he feels he can impact his hometown.

Some of his concerns include:
1. Inclusion: Despite how well-spoken and intelligent he is, he never feels like he belongs here especially when he is being racially profiled.
2. Women are Powerful here. I have known this guy for a while and he is a decent Christian, but by marrying her he could lose everything he has worked for if things go south. The government does not want to know who is right or wrong oo, they would cut your assets and leave you to pay child support.
3. Loss of culture: He fears when he has kids, his children will lose a sense of their culture and tradition
4. Old age: Old age here can be scary too, especially when you grew up in Africa where we have a family-orientated family structure. When you are old here and can't support yourself. Families dump their aged parents in aged care facilities. Not the fault of the kids but it's how the system is run.

Anyway, I was wondering why don’t Nigerian’s dream the same dream. Some Nigerians turn out to be very successful abroad, but many are just living paycheck to paycheck and would be better off returning home where the money has much more value. 1USD = N505. Or is Nigeria so bad, that opportunities don’t lie in it? Remember the Indians, Chinese come here to take advantage.

I must give credit to Nigerians. We dey Hustle. God. Nigerians dey try.

ry It was when I met a 40yr old oyinbo that has retired that I started thinking deep that there is more to life than working working working.
Haven said all these, I know my countand the many issues we have
. Security, healthcare, family or village people, etc. but Still, Are many Nigerians not better off going back home with all they have saved Abroad. Let's not forget, Banky W, Tinubu, Tiwa savage, Some Top Bank executives, and corporate ppl all returned home. Had they remained abroad, they could still have been just ok but maybe not as successful.
So this takes me back to the question

Nigerians who returned from Abroad, Any regret?

Moderator : Abeg front Page. Thank you

Oyinbo man retiring at the age of 40 years in the western world is an exception, it is not typical at all. You may retire at such an age or even much more younger based mostly on health grounds like physical disabilities or mental issues. An able bodied 40year old with no mental issue or maybe too much domestic duties that doesnt want to work is a lazy fellow.
Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by sbot: 10:44am On Sep 16, 2021
Klass99:

@ The bold, in doing my research on how to quit the rat race one article said to do it effectively - you'll need monthly income from non-job sources which exceeds your monthly expenses

In my mind I was like, why don't they teach these things in school? Or why do our parents not teach financial literacy in the best way they can? Na to dey groom person for marriage only, we sabi for Africa.

I know 4 people who returned home after about 10, 13 and 9yrs overseas.

Tony 9 years in the UK - said he got tired of the system and systemic racism he occasionally encountered. He was just one year from acquiring his residency and people advised him to hang in there for one more year before returning to Naija........but he said he was so fed up another year would have felt like Yaba left to him grin

Mike 13 years in the UK - said everything worked right, the system, infrastructures were efficient, the govt wasn't an inept one etc, but he would never be rich there as much as he would be in Naija. So, he came home.......plus he was ready to marry and as a traditional Igbo man to the core I'm not sure any foreign based women would have worked for him, whether black or white.

Amanda, 4 years in the UK then another 5 in France - said she returned because we have a strong network of family & friends relationships here, unlike overseas and she really missed that. According to her if you need 10k, 20 or more there's no way your family or friends won't raise that money for you, even if the 20k comes from 4 different people (as in, 5k from each person) But, overseas if you need like £2 OYO will be your case. Plus, she wanted to give back to her community in Naija.

Alex 6 years in............I can't remember the country again grin, came back because he felt his life was too regimented by bills. According to him he couldn't do much after paying every damn bill, he never had enough left over to just chill or do nice things for himself the way he could in Naija.

He said in Naija, you can pay bills and still have enough left over to travel, lavishly hang out with your guys, assist others who need financial help etc His hands were pretty much tied when it came to these activities overseas.

All of these people are doing well and I haven't heard or detected a trace of regret from any of them.

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by dododawa1: 10:45am On Sep 16, 2021
Just back from SEME and no regret.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Returned From Abroad: Any Regret? by hustla(m): 10:45am On Sep 16, 2021
Drenimarcus:
Thank you OP. This is what i tell my friends here but trust Nigerians, most have been conditioned to run the rat race. A friend and I are actively doing this. The goal is to retire very early and retire to the Caribbeans, i am not coming to Nigeria. Caribbeans feels closer to Africa and family oriented.

We invest actively in stocks, creep-toes and now looking into real estate. I am not conditioned to run the rat race, it makes you very weary and unfulfilled. I hope Nigerians in diaspora can look more into investments that can generate passive income.

Could you tell me one or two Caribbean countries you're looking at?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How People Are Risking Their Lives In Oshodi (photos) / Family Involved In A Fatal Accident At Police Checkpoint, Officers Flee. Photos / One Of The 17 Flyovers Constructed By Umahi In Ebonyi State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.