Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Th - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Th (16280 Views)

~@@th~!https://nbanbaplayoffsnba.com/ / Is It True People From Igueben Can't Marry Th People From Ekpoma? / Colours Of Mkpat Enin Festival (#comefest) 2018, Cultural Fiesta To Celebrate Th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Th by TAO12: 2:56am On Aug 22, 2021
@UGBE634,

I await your reply to my comments wherein I refuted (in advance) your latest innuendos.

Do well to prove yourself consistent by addressing the crucial refutations.

Also, I cited the earliest records of Benin accounts on the origin of the Ogiso monarchy.

Stop tricking your mind to say I cited Yoruba account on Ogiso. Such trick on yourself leads to delusions.

Moreover, I await your answer to my question in the comment below:

5 Likes

Re: Th by UGBE634: 3:12am On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:
@UGBE634,

I await your reply to my comments wherein I refuted (in advance) your latest innuendos.

Do well to prove yourself consistent by addressing the crucial refutations.

Also, I cited the earliest records of Benin accounts on the origin of the Ogiso monarchy.

Stop tricking your mind to say I cited Yoruba account on Ogiso. Such trick on yourself leads to delusions.

Moreover, I await your answer to my question in the comment below:
It does not matter who said them, My father cannot tell me I am Yoruba because he is my father and I will take it, If it does not resonate with reality, then it is scam and his knowledge is limited, him been more ancient does not count as anything, Igbo Elites have made claims too which many Igbos have successfully debunked here and the Elites seem to be far too Educated.
The trader the Alaafin met wrote what he told him regardless of his personage. He is a human being and wrote what he told him but you have also in your own word successfully debunked it.
Samuel Johnson you have also in your own word successfully debunked. I should not have taken you serious in the first place. You are a joke
Re: Th by TAO12: 4:11am On Aug 22, 2021
UGBE634:
It does not matter who said them, My father cannot tell me I am Yoruba because he is my father and I will take it, If it does not resonate with reality, then it is scam and his knowledge is limited, him been more ancient does not count as anything,
That’s probably why your father never said you’re Yorùbá, or did he? Lol.

In the case of the Ogisos on the other hand, the early Benin traditions says what is says that the Ogiso was initiated from Ife.

Is it true just because the early Benin traditions said it?

No! It is true for other reasons. Academic historians have examined this early traditions and have reached the conclusion that it is in line with the historical reality of the kingdom, region, and time.

Do you catch the difference now? Yes I agree that this facts may come across as shocking (or even troubling) for you because you’ve never taken your time to see what your own sources say first-hand. It had to be a Yoruba pointing you to your own sources. I appreciate how that could frustrating.

But it is what it is.

Igbo Elites have made claims too which many Igbos have successfully debunked here and the Elites seem to be far too Educated

Now you’re making a poor comparison of dissimilar concepts, and I think you are intentional about it. Lol.

The word “earliest” (which is the term I’ve been using) is not one and the same as the word “elites”. Lol.

The fact that Igbo elites make a claim isn’t equivalent to such claim being rooted in the earliest sources. You know this. cheesy

And even if their earliest sources say it, it must still be vetted by academic/professional historical studies — these studies have submitted that Igbos evolved as an ethno-linguistic group in the regions of the Niger-Benue confluence (alongside Yoruba, Bini, et al.).

The trader the Alaafin met wrote what he told him regardless of his personage. He is a human being and wrote what he told him but you have also in your own word successfully debunked it.
Again, this is another dissimilar comparison. First of all Dennett’s one-line attribution to a certain Alaafin is not the earliest record of Oyo traditions on tribute payment. In contrast, Egharevba’s records of Benin traditions on Ogiso are the earliest on the subject.

Moreover, Dennett’s one-line attribution to the Alaafin is not corroborated by anything or any study (even as it suffers the disadvantage of not being the earliest Oyo source of the subject).

In contrast, the earliest Benin traditions on Ogiso is corroborated by historical studies (which I had cited) agrees with the early Benin traditions that Ogiso was despatched from Ife — it is also in harmony with the historical timelines.

The fact that Dennett made an attribution to a certain Alaafin doe not automatically make it a fact. Moreover, his one line attribution to the Alaafin is not the earliest record of Oyo’s traditions

In the absence of any corroborative evidence (and in the face of evidence to the contrary), Dennett’s remark was respectfully set aside (not just by me, but) by every scholar on the history of Oyo empire.

In contrast, the early Benin traditions on the Ogiso is corroborated left, right and center by other evidences. I believe the dissimilarity of your comparison should be palpably perceptible at this point.

To further drive home this point, a similar attribution was made by Captain Roupell to the effect that Benin never casted a bronze prior to the advent of 1500.

This one-line attribution to the Benin court by Roupell has similarly been respectfully set aside as a spurious one given that it is corroborated by nothing, as well as the fact that it is contrary to scientific finds.

Samuel Johnson you have also in your own word successfully debunked. I should not have taken you serious in the first place. You are a joke

Well, I am not aware of any page in S. Johnson’s work where he claimed to be debunking Dennett. I am also not aware of any of my comment where I noted that he had made such claim. Johnson’s work was written prior to when Dennett would write his article.

What I think you’re referring to here is the remarkable absence of any similar statement as Dennett’s in Johnson’s work which is rightly a vast corpus of Oyo traditions (among others) — including those dealing with Oyo’s tributes to other kingdoms.

Peace!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Th by TAO12: 4:16am On Aug 22, 2021
@UGBE634, you are yet to answer my question in red fonts below:

TAO11:
You had upheld the fact that there exists an ancient link between Ife and Benin,

However, at the very instant when I made you realize that academic and professional historians submitted that the link is actually one of Father-Ife & son-Benin (and not vice versa), you miraculously concluded that there was actually never any link between Ife & Benin in the ancient times. How miraculous & convenient?!

My humble advice is that you should accept whatever history throws at you regardless of how little it makes you feel, or how it bruises you. Such is life. cheesy

Having said that, you are yet to answer my foregoing humble question which you quoted which reads:

Do you also want to be enlightened on each of the so-called 5 cLAiMs? — none of which is actually a cLAiM made/initiated by the Yorubas. Let me know what you think. Lol.

Peace!

grin

5 Likes

Re: Th by UGBE634: 4:18am On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:
when I talked about my father here I was not literal I was talking about bini

In the case of the Ogisos on the other hand, the early Benin traditions says what is says that the Ogiso was initiated from Ife.

Is it true just because the early Benin traditions said it? No! It is true for other reasons. Academic historians have examined this early traditions and have reached the conclusion that it is in line with the historical reality of the kingdom, region, and time.

Do you catch the difference now? Yes I agree that this facts may come across as shocking (or even troubling) for you because you’ve never taken your time to see what your own sources say first-hand. It had to be a Yoruba pointing you to your own sources. I appreciate how that could frustrating.

But it is what it is.

Now you’re making a poor comparison of dissimilar concepts, and I think you are intentional about it. Lol.

The word “earliest” (which is the term I’ve been using) is not one and the same as the word “elites”. Lol.

The fact that Igbo elites make a claim isn’t equivalent to such claim being rooted in the earliest sources. You know this. cheesy

And even if their earliest sources say it, it must still be vetted by academic/professional historical studies — these studies have submitted that Igbos evolved as an ethno-linguistic group in the regions of the Niger-Benue confluence (alongside Yoruba, Bini, et al.).

Again, this is another dissimilar comparison. First of all Dennett’s one-line attribution to a certain Alaafin is not the earliest record of Oyo traditions on tribute payment. In contrast, Egharevba’s records of Benin traditions on Ogiso are the earliest on the subject.

Moreover, Dennett’s one-line attribution to the Alaafin is not corroborated by anything or any study (even as it suffers the disadvantage of not being the earliest Oyo source of the subject).

In contrast, the earliest Benin traditions on Ogiso is corroborated by historical studies (which I had cited) agrees with the early Benin traditions that Ogiso was despatched from Ife — it is also in harmony with the historical timelines.

The fact that Dennett made an attribution to a certain Alaafin doe not automatically make it a fact. Moreover, his one line attribution to the Alaafin is not the earliest record of Oyo’s traditions

In the absence of any corroborative evidence (and in the face of evidence to the contrary), Dennett’s remark was respectfully set aside (not just by me, but) by every scholar on the history of Oyo empire.

In contrast, the early Benin traditions on the Ogiso is corroborated left, right and center by other evidences. I believe the dissimilarity of your comparison should be palpably perceptible at this point.

To further drive home this point, a similar attribution was made by Captain Roupell to the effect that Benin never casted a bronze prior to the advent of 1500.

This one-line attribution to the Benin court by Roupell has similarly been respectfully set aside as a spurious one given that it is corroborated by nothing, as well as the fact that it is contrary to scientific finds.

Well, I am not aware of any page in S. Johnson’s work where he claimed to be debunking Dennett. I am also not aware of any of my comment where I noted that he had made such claim. Johnson’s work was written prior to when Dennett would write his article.
TAO12:
What I think you’re referring to here is the remarkable absence of any similar statement as Dennett’s in Johnson’s work which is rightly a vast corpus of Oyo traditions (among others) — including those dealing with Oyo’s tributes to other kingdoms.
what I referred to was that Johnson made many claims some of which you guys including referring to Ijebu as food for the deep.

Peace! [/quote]
Re: Th by TAO12: 5:00am On Aug 22, 2021
First of all, could you please separate my comments from yours to make reading easy for others who may be following this.

You may delete those parts of my comment which you do not feel the need to reply to.

Thanks.
UGBE634:
When I talked about my father here I was not literal I was talking about bini
Yes, it doesn’t matter. The essential point remains the same — that is, a Benin tradition about Benin is not true simply because it is a Benin tradition.

Rather, it is true because it is the earliest known Benin tradition about Benin and is not contradicted by the consensus of professional, academic historical studies (or some other evidence).

This is the case with the Benin traditions on the Ogiso monarchy which is not merely the earliest, but also corroborated by the conclusions of professional and academic historical studies.

As such, the Ogiso was initiated from Ife. So says the earliest and redoubtable Benin traditions on Ogiso.

What I referred to was that Johnson made many claims some of which you guys including referring to Ijebu as food for the deep.
Again, just as illustrated above, a tradition is not true just because it is the earliest. It must be the earliest and also be corroborated by the conclusion of academic study.

The conclusions from academic studies on the origin of the name “Ijebu” debunks your claim represented above from Johnson’s works.

Moreover, Johnson himself indicated that he couldn’t have obtain this specific information from the Ijebus as their country was not open to others [until later].

The account appears (from his wording) to have been obtained from the Owus who are the archenemies of the Ijebus as their ancestral homeland was sacked by a combined army of the Ifes and the Ijebus.

In sum, the same reasonable principle should apply consistently. A traditions is true because it is early and corroborated by historical studies and evidences.

Peace!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Th by nisai: 6:08am On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:
First of all, could you please separate my comments from yours to make reading easy for others who may be following this.
You may delete those parts of my comment which you which you do not feel the need to reply to.

Thanks.
Yes, it doesn’t matter. The essential point remains the same — that is, a Benin tradition about Benin is not true simply because it is a Benin tradition.

Rather, it is true because it is the earliest known Benin tradition about Benin and is not contradicted by the consensus of professional, academic historical studies (or some other evidence).

This is the case with the Benin traditions on the Ogiso monarchy which is not merely the earliest, but also corroborated by the conclusions of professional and academic historical studies.

As such, the Ogiso was initiated from Ife. So says the earliest and redoubtable Benin traditions on Ogiso.

Again, just as illustrated above, a tradition is not true just because it is the earliest. It must be the earliest and also be corroborated by the conclusion of academic study.

The conclusions from academic studies on the origin of the name “Ijebu” debunks your claim represented above from Johnson’s works.

Moreover, Johnson himself indicated that he couldn’t have obtain this specific information from the Ijebus as their country was not open to others [until later].

The account appears (from his wording) to have been obtained from the Owus who are the archenemies of the Ijebus as their ancestral homeland was sacked by a combined army of the Ifes and the Ijebus.

In sum, the same reasonable principle should apply consistently. A traditions is true because it is early and corroborated by historical studies and evidences.

Peace!
Food of the sea ko breastfeeding food ni.

2 Likes

Re: Th by UGBE634: 7:00am On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:
When I said my father I was not literal, Ogiso in its entirety is an Edo affair and has nothing to do with Ife or yoruba, If Egharevba would want tale of the Ogiso account, who would he have gone to, Is it not the palace which seems to have some yoruboid trait, did he go to Ugo. Eghaveravba himself is with some yoruboid trait.
The first Ogiso is from Ugo, the most ancient town of all Bini towns, Igodo is not Obagodo and Oba must have been placed as a prefix because the palace was used with the word Oba as king
TAO12:
the early tradition which must have come from the palace is trash talk

Is it true just because the early Benin traditions said it?
TAO12:
No! It is true for other reasons. Academic historians have examined this early traditions and have reached the conclusion that it is in line with the historical reality of the kingdom, region, and time.
Academic historians are not always right, they are humans too and they are fallible
TAO12:
I would take that as a palace source and not the source of the aborigines

But it is what it is.
TAO12:

There is no dissimiar comparison here, the comparisons are intact, it is about you switching off your brain when it concerns dominance of your tribe which are not true and obviously putting it off when it concerns other tribe even when the Odds are against you. Dernett have no Axe no grind with the Yoruba's and couldn't have written that in favor of the binis. Now we know whose oral traditions is faulty
TAO12:
It does not change a thing, earliest does not mean logically right and still won't mean. If it is not the voice of Esau then it is not Esau

TAO12:
No one has argued that but that some of their clans have link with and are associated with Binis is also not in contention
TAO12:
Again dont you have a brain, does Ikwerre attribution to Bini make them Binis, the fact some Binis in the past with yoruboid link attributed the Ogisos to the Yoruba does not make their claims true can't you see. Are you so dumb to see.
I would rather hold on to the fact that Oyo's oral historical account is faulty than disregarding dernett's view as Dernett had no Axe to grind with you guys and wrote his down rather down historical tales which can be distorted over time.
TAO12:
it is not there are about thirty one Ogisos and Egharevba only collated the Ones he was told and his knowledge was definitely limited

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Th by samuk: 9:13am On Aug 22, 2021
UGBE634:
It does not matter who said them, My father cannot tell me I am Yoruba because he is my father and I will take it, If it does not resonate with reality, then it is scam and his knowledge is limited, him been more ancient does not count as anything, Igbo Elites have made claims too which many Igbos have successfully debunked here and the Elites seem to be far too Educated.

Egharevba she keep quoting is maternally Yoruba. He had Yoruba and Benin ancestry. Oba Erediawa and Benin chiefs were not in agreement with all Egharevba wrote as history of Benin. Egharevba's first edition was greatly influenced by his Yoruba handlers in Ibadan.

Yoruba had already started stealing Benin history for over fifty years before Egharevba wrote his book, same Yoruba people supervised and published the book.

Like you said, the Benin/Ife relationship doesn't resonate with reality. There is zero evidence to support it.

Let's look at the evidence to support Benin Onitsha and Benin Itsekiri relationship.

Benin/Onitsha relationship:

1. The traditional title of obi of Onitsha is Agboghidi. I am sure you have heard about the great Agboghidi from Ugo. Agboghidi is a Benin word.

2. The name of Onitsha shrine is called Udo. Onitsha people said they left Benin during the war between Aruan of Udo and Oba Esigie.

3. Benin and Onitsha share similar traditional institution

Benin/Itsekiri relationship:

1. The traditional title of the Olu of Itsekiri is Ogiamen (ruler of the water, river, sea, ocean etc) Ogiamen is purely Benin word.

2. The Itsekiri monarchy and chieftaincy title is style to mimic Benin traditional institution.

Benin have nothing in common with Ife. The traditions and monarchical structures are different.

I told TAO11 earlier that the more she pushes this Benin/Ife fallacy, the more damage she will continue to cause to it. She is out to deceive unsuspecting readers, she dishes out garbage, junks, fairytales as history.

I am happy most people have the common sense to see through her lies once they are pointed out and people like me will continue to point the lies out.

Her stories have no bearings on reality, people are here for authentic history not fairytales. Most people have gone Beyond fairytales.

How can you argue that oba of Benin is Yoruba from Ife, and yet there are no similarities in culture between the Benin monarchy and Ife, no oba of Benin had Yoruba names, Benin artworks is different from artworks found in Ife.

Yoruba are claiming that they civilised Benin yet they can't point to their own civilisation, how can you give what you don't have.

She can qoute rubbish, copy and paste garbage from now till eternity, a lie will always remain a lie. If Edo people were Yoruba, they will not need anyone to tell them that, they will already know that by themselves. Ijebus are yet to completely accept the Yoruba tag, they are extending it to Benin.
Re: Th by TAO12: 9:22am On Aug 22, 2021
UGBE634:
When I said my father I was not literal, Ogiso in its entirety is an Edo affair and has nothing to do with Ife or yoruba, If Egharevba would want tale of the Ogiso account, who would he have gone to, Is it not the palace which seems to have some yoruboid trait, did he go to Ugo. Eghaveravba himself is with some yoruboid trait.
The first Ogiso is from Ugo, the most ancient town of all Bini towns, Igodo is not Obagodo and Oba must have been placed as a prefix because the palace was used with the word Oba as king
I respect your wish (that Ogiso should not be from Ife). However, it is unfortunate that the earliest traditions of Benin disagree with you. Not only that, historical studies (and relevant corroborating evidence) agrees with the earliest Benin traditions, and disagrees with you.

The truth is on one side, you and your emotional wish are on another side. Life happens.

[s]the early tradition which must have come from the palace is trash talk

Is it true just because the early Benin traditions said it?[/s]
I am afraid you are the trash here. Again the early Benin traditions is true because of at least two reasons, it is the earliest of its kind, it has also withstood the scrutiny and criticisms from those whose job is history — the academic and professional historians. What’s your job again?

Academic historians are not always right, they are humans too and they are fallible
Except that your criticism is lame — they must be wrong on this matter. Why? Because they are human. LMAO!

And who is UGBE634? A ghost. cheesy Wake up “sweety,” reality doesn’t always gel with your fantasies. Don’t be a sore loser.

I would take that as a palace source and not the source of the aborigines. But it is what it is.
You mean that the royal family is Yoruba rather than aboriginal Edos?

IF yes, then note that the palace story tellers do not have to members of the Oba’s family — they’re most certainly not. And if they are (and you insist they are lying conquerors), then they would have no need to link the Ogiso to Ife so as to present a full picture of conquest.

You appear to be on a lose-lose spree. Wake up from your delusions chid, and make up your mind on the basis of the evidence before you.

There is no dissimiar comparison here, the comparisons are intact, it is about you switching off your brain when it concerns dominance of your tribe which are not true and obviously putting it off when it concerns other tribe even when the Odds are against you. Dernett have no Axe no grind with the Yoruba's and couldn't have written that in favor of the binis. Now we know whose oral traditions is faulty
Well, no one ever implied that Dennett has any axe to grind in support of Benin against the Yorubas.

The simple point being made is that the attribution is necessarily lone, spurious, and mistaken considering the vast corpus of Oyo traditions on tribute payment by Oyo — recorded before Dennett by Johnson, and also recorded before Johnson by A. Dalzel (1793).

This is similar to how Roupell wasn’t necessarily lying when he said he was informed by the palace tha Benin never casted a bronze before the Europeans’ advent.

The attribution is spurious and necessarily mistaken because it is not corroborated, and in fact debunked by the overwhelming accounts and evidence.

It does not change a thing, earliest does not mean logically right and still won't mean. If it is not the voice of Esau then it is not Esau
Yes earliest which not corroborated (or which is actually de-corroborated by other independent evidences and studies) is not right.

However, the earliest which is actually corroborated by other independent evidences and studies (just as the early Benin traditions of Ogisos from Ife) is in fact logically right.

No one has argued that but that some of their clans have link with and are associated with Binis is also not in contention
Doesn’t change the early Benin traditions (which is corroborated by other evidence and historical studies) which states that the Ogiso monarchy was initiated from Ife is logically right. Or does it change that?

Again dont you have a brain, does Ikwerre attribution to Bini make them Binis, the fact some Binis in the past with yoruboid link attributed the Ogisos to the Yoruba does not make their claims true can't you see. Are you so dumb to see.
I would rather hold on to the fact that Oyo's oral historical account is faulty than disregarding dernett's view as Dernett had no Axe to grind with you guys and wrote his down rather down historical tales which can be distorted over time.
The royal court of Oba Akenzua II — and many Benin old people — whom Egharevba lists as informants are the Binis with Yorubaour links. You better don’t enter full-blown delusion out of low self esteem. grin

The earliest account of Benin traditions from Benin has it that the Ogiso monarchy was initiated from Ife. This is corroborated by other evidence and studies. Wake up to the real word, UGBE.

Well, history isn’t as twisted as your mind. No historian would give prominent to a single-line over and above a corpus which is earlier. Also, Archibald Dalzel (1793) an eyewitness account had earlier written on the very same subject — Oyo’s tributes. Johnson was not the earliest.

it is not there are about thirty one Ogisos and Egharevba only collated the Ones he was told and his knowledge was definitely limited
Hmmm! Okay, I think I believe UGBE-the nobody because his name is UGBE. Lol.

And I disbelieve the Benin sources of olden times as passed down via their the works of Egharevba. /s

Even you yourself must be wondering why any sane person would believe you and not the early sources of Benin traditions.

Regardless of these overwhelming truth on your own traditions (despite it being shocking and saddening) rise above low-self esteem and move now.

Peace! grin

7 Likes

Re: Th by TAO12: 9:27am On Aug 22, 2021
PS:
Throughout the centuries of interaction between the Europeans and the southern “Nigeria” area, including Benin kingdom, there is no single record of a name of any Benin king.

Shall we then be foolish like you to pretend to reach the inane conclusion that Benin began to have kings on recently — or that Benin kings (if they exist) never had names?

Similarly, throughout the centuries of the interactions with the Europeans, there is no single record of any relationship between Benin and Onitsha.

Shall we then be foolish like you to pretend to reach the inane conclusion that Benin had no relationship with Onitsha until in recent times?
—————————

You are actually to foolish to be ignored because to ignore has a specially foolish meaning to you. To you it means that you’re stating FaCtS. Joker. cheesy

Moreover, you are also resolutely fraudulent because this very crap you heaped above have been even to your satisfaction on a different thread. grin

The Devastating Refutation:
Eyewitness testimony/writings from the late-1400s & early-1500s which references the monarch of the Ife kingdom & his suzerainty over Benin kingdom exist.

NB: Yes, there used to be a debate in academia in the 1970s/1980s (between the mainstream scholars on one hand; and one, two, or three others on another hand) over the identity of this suzerain.

This debate was particularly on the usage of the word “east” in those early writings.

In present time, however, there is no single academic historian who holds the notion that this suzerain (of the early writings) is other than the Ooni of Ife [i.e. Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni Ufẹ̀ in the Ife dialect of the Yoruba language].

The symbol ⟨ɣ⟩ being the voiced velar fricative with its consonant sound as in this audio sample.

This conclusion is reinforced by the fact that no king, throughout the Guinea Forest of West Africa matches the specific sacral details given in those early writings, except the Ooni of Ife.

In addition to this significant fact, the debate over the word “east” was subsequently quelled by the fact that from Atakpame (in present-day Togo) to the kingdom of Benin (in present-day Nigeria), from Èkó (next to the Atlantic Ocean) to Ọ̀yọ́-Ilé (not far from the Niger River) Ife is known by the interesting epithet: Ibi ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá — i.e. “the place from where the sun rises”.

For some written references to the widespread usage of this epithet (in reference to Ife) among the natives of this region of West Africa, please refer to:

(A) Rev. D. Hinderer, “Diary Impression,” June 4, 1851, Ibadan, C.M.S.

(B) R. Horton (1979), p. 85., citing B. Maupoil (1943), A. Akinjogbin (1967:41-43), R. Smith (1969:31), as well as A. Obayemi (1976:206).

This reverential (rather than literal) epithet of Ife informed the literalist Europeans’ writings whose source(s) are Benin spokespersons of their king.

Hence the appearance of the word “east” in the early European writings in reference to the kingdom of the Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni (who is transliterated in the early writings as “Hooguanee”, “Ogané”, etc.).

Side Note: Binis, till today, still sometimes refer to the Ooni as Oghene. Refer to the entry “ɔɣɛnɛ” (i.e. “ọghẹnẹ”) in Hans Melzian’s “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” where its second definition is given as: “Bini name for the ni at Ile Ife”

Moreover, another piece of historical evidence which quelled the academic debate on the word “east” (as is seen in the early writings in reference to this overlord) are early maps.

There are maps (e.g. from the early 1500s) which show the phrase Dominion of the Orguene annotated across the western half of today’s Nigeria.

These historical information leaves anyone (not only the historians) with the only logical conclusion that the appearance of the word “east” in those early writings is of course not literal.

In conclusion, contrary to your ignorant assumption, there are writings from the early 1500s (on the basis of interviews of Bini representatives in the late 1400s) which references the king of Ife & his overlordship on Benin kingdom and other places.

Apart from early writings, there are other types of historical evidence which also establish clearly that there exist a classic (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

These other type of historical evidence which I come to here are classical artifacts from the hard science of archaeology. One crucial examples in this regard is discussed below.

The artifact shown in this link is the image of an Ooni of Ife. ~ S. P. Blier, “Art in Ancient Ife,” 2012, Figure 17.

The Ife naturalism of this artifact, its facial striations, as well as its classical Ife ceremonial costume and the pair of chest ornament help art historians (as well as Benin chroniclers alike) with identifying this image as an Ooni of Ife.

What is very, very crucial here is that this artifact was found in the archaeological deposits of Benin. To be more precise, it was excavated from the royal palace of Benin kingdom.

Furthermore, the production date of this artifact has now been established by science. This artifact is dated, by thermoluminescence technique, to the year 1420 [± 60 years].

~ Calvocoressi & David, “A New Survey of Radiocarbon and Thermoluminescence Dates for West Africa,” 1979, p. 19.

For more pictorial angles (and details) regarding this particular artifact, please refer to:

(A) W. Fagg, “A Bronze Figure in Ife Style at Benin,” British Museum, June 1950, Plate Fa, Fb, Fc

(B) F. Willett, “Ife in the History of West African Sculpture,” McGraw-Hill, 1967, Figure 89.

(C) C. Adepegba, “The Descent from Oduduwa,” 1986, Plate 4.

In other words, a more-than 500-year-old ‘bronze’ cast of an Ooni Ife was discovered in the (archaeological deposits of the) palace of Benin kingdom.

In conclusion, it thus becomes clear that there exists a classical (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

Again, this conclusion which I have inevitably reached is not mine. This is simply the conclusion of historical scholarship. This can be seen in the following works:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

A beautiful summary of this conclusion of scholars of
African history (some of whose names and works are listed above) is shown in the page below from Adam Knobler (2016), p.47.

Peace! cheesy

Cc: nisai

5 Likes

Re: Th by UGBE634: 10:19am On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:
I respect your wish (that Ogiso should not be from Ife).
you are not a complete historian, does any of your AcAdEmIc knows the way to Udo, Ugo and Urhonigbe, did they go there. You can't completely claim the greatness of Bini without claiming the Ogisos you know that's why you are jittery and still grandstanding even when the Odds are against you. Those yoruboid binis can't speak for the populace . Even the story they gave out about their origin is full of loopholes. Will they be speaking for the pure binis who are the majority. Even if you go to Udo and Urhonigbe, they will point you to Ugo as the source of the Ogisos, there are folklores which revolves around Ugo concerning the Ogisos about laws of natural justice, peace, honesty, and so on,but there is none about Ife . This is not my stand, it is the general Bini stand against the account received by Egharevba in or at Akenzua's court. I have given you the general Bini account as it is you can go Bleep yourself
At least the readers on here who are sensible have seen my argument and know which fact to pick and the Junk to discard.
Even if the body like that of Esau if it is not the voice of Esau then it is not Esau don't be deceived my sister.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Th by UGBE634: 10:24am On Aug 22, 2021
samuk:

Egharevba she keep quoting is maternally Yoruba. He had Yoruba and Benin ancestry. Oba Erediawa and Benin chiefs were not in agreement with all Egharevba wrote as history of Benin. Egharevba's first edition was greatly influenced by his Yoruba handlers in Ibadan.

Yoruba had already started stealing Benin history for over fifty years before Egharevba wrote his book, same Yoruba people supervised and published the book.

Like you said, the Benin/Ife relationship doesn't resonate with reality. There is zero evidence to support it.

Let's look at the evidence to support Benin Onitsha and Benin Itsekiri relationship.

Benin/Onitsha relationship:

1. The traditional title of obi of Onitsha is Agboghidi. I am sure you have heard about the great Agboghidi from Ugo. Agboghidi is a Benin word.

2. The name of Onitsha shrine is called Udo. Onitsha people said they left Benin during the war between Aruan of Udo and Oba Esigie.

3. Benin and Onitsha share similar traditional institution

Benin/Itsekiri relationship:

1. The traditional title of the Olu of Itsekiri is Ogiamen (ruler of the water, river, sea, ocean etc) Ogiamen is purely Benin word.

2. The Itsekiri monarchy and chieftaincy title is style to mimic Benin traditional institution.

Benin have nothing in common with Ife. The traditions and monarchical structures are different.

I told TAO11 earlier that the more she pushes this Benin/Ife fallacy, the more damage she will continue to cause to it. She is out to deceive unsuspecting readers, she dishes out garbage, junks, fairytales as history.

I am happy most people have the common sense to see through her lies once they are pointed out and people like me will continue to point the lies out.

Her stories have no bearings on reality, people are here for authentic history not fairytales. Most people have gone Beyond fairytales.

How can you argue that oba of Benin is Yoruba from Ife, and yet there are no similarities in culture between the Benin monarchy and Ife, no oba of Benin had Yoruba names, Benin artworks is different from artworks found in Ife.

Yoruba are claiming that they civilised Benin yet they can't point to their own civilisation, how can you give what you don't have.

She can qoute rubbish, copy and paste garbage from now till eternity, a lie will always remain a lie. If Edo people were Yoruba, they will not need anyone to tell them that, they will already know that by themselves. Ijebus are yet to completely accept the Yoruba tag, they are extending it to Benin.
My brother I would rather tilt to the fact he was an 'Edonekhue' he was bilingual even from the beginning, that is why they could communicate with him in the first place. He certainly is not from the east which they have associated to be Ife today

2 Likes

Re: Th by Christistruth00: 12:32pm On Aug 22, 2021
Olu317:
Verify this name, if the written.alphabets are correct as well as the meaning:

Use oritse wara mi: Itsekiri dialect
Uṣe oríṣa wó ara mi
Uṣe oríṣa wa ara mi
Uṣe oríṣa wa ni ara mi
Uṣẹ oríṣa wó ara mi
Uṣẹ oríṣa wa ni ara mi
Uṣẹ oríṣa wa ni ara mi
Yoruba traditional dialect : wó uṣẹ oriṣa ni ara mi
Yoruba: woṣẹolúwaniarami
Yoruba muslim: wo ṣẹ ọlọ̀hún ni ara mi
Yoruba christian:wo ṣẹ ọlọ̀rún ni ara mi
Meaning: glory of God upon me, blessing of God upon me, blessing of forebear upon me.

Use oritse wara mi Itsekiri Yoruba

Ise Orisa (Oluwa) wa Lara mi. Yoruba (Oyo dialect)

Gods handwork/ blessing is on me English

3 Likes

Re: Th by samuk: 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2021
Re: Th by OneNigerian: 6:07pm On Aug 22, 2021
Yes brothers, these guys are ignorant as they come. The famous mascot of FESTAC 77 on the old Nigerian currency (haven’t seen a Nigerian currency in over a decade) shows the great Queen of legend Idia of Bini with 16 European ambassadors on head head to symbolise that white men including Portuguese ambassadors bow before the queen of Bini, the wife of a god King and the mother of the next god King. She opened up Bini. She had her own armies and can wage wars at will if she chooses. No Yoruba queen in history, past present or future had such a power or ever will for all time. Bini is not in the same Level or age of the Yoruba nation or anyone of its Kingdom. Britain knew this. It’s why they decided that it must be destroyed and erased from the map so they can colonise the colonies they later had in West Africa. No Yoruba city ever grew to the size of Bini and 500 years ago the Oba of Bini could raise a 1 million men strong army. The collection of Yoruba kingdoms under any are onona kanfo were never half that strong. It’s 100 percent impossible for the Yoruba nation as a collective to invade Bini and rule its Oba let alone tiny Ile ife? Seriously? Bini would have sent an army led by a woman to destroy or colonise it for such an insult. Bini ceded civilisations across west Africa including our neighbouring country republic of Benin named after the land of their ancestors acknowledge their origin as not Yoruba. Yorubas were never strong enough to conquer the armies of Bini women that marched into Yoruba land constantly and captured and enslaved Yoruba men and women selling them as slaves across the Atlantic Ocean in which was an evil thing to do as Bini fought a civil war to end whole sale slavery a thousand years earlier. So this retard saying an idiot from the west quoted the god King the person of an Oba of Bini bowing to an ordinary Ife King must have been dropped on their head as a baby. Go study your history. Bini is s civilisations that can be quoted on the same breath as their ancestors the black ancient Egyptians my direct ancestors.
Re: Th by OneNigerian: 6:16pm On Aug 22, 2021
The following quotes is Bullshit as it meant nothing. In the 14th and 15th centuries my direct ancestors were speaking Esan and we had Bini families and family names. Today I am 75 percent Esan and we speak simplified Igbo and our ancestral family compound in Delta Igbo or Ndokwa land still have our ancient Bini name of the Bini Iyase we came from. Our traditions is very different from our neighbours and we made sure that they made no mistake that we are worth 7 of them, man to man and punish them on military punitive expeditions if they kill of of us and refuses diplomatic solutions beyond reason. We know our history and are incredibly proud of it as we were Bini’s military elite at one time and came from Bini royal lines. Does that mean we are now Igbo because our language is like Igbo now? No we still marry mainly from people that came from Bini too. You adapt to the languages spoken around you in any timelines just like we are communicating in English a language from the other side of Atlantic Ocean. Does that mean that Nigeria is English now? We use English language and even added it to our native vocabularies, us black Africans must be white people now as a result of a change in language using your logic. You lazy wannabe historians need to move your arses from your sofas and conduct proper research before making claims online to mislead others. Surely a people must know who they came from?

Christistruth00:

Re: Th by Christistruth00: 6:41pm On Aug 22, 2021
I
OneNigerian:

Today I am 75 percent Esan and we speak simplified Igbo and our ancestral family compound in Delta Igbo or Ndokwa land still have our ancient Bini name of the Bini Iyase we cam

Please stop lying

My best Friend is Eshan from Ubiaja

I even speak a bit of the Language

The Language is littered with Yoruba words because they originally came from Benin

Your Lies are an embarrassment to the Nation

3 Likes

Re: Th by YungMillionaire: 8:27pm On Aug 22, 2021
They have come again. All these Bini revisionists saying we are not Yorubas. If we are not Yorubas then tell me what are we? What these idiots don't know is that the more you say this nonsense, the more you annoy average Itsekiris and make them even more pro-Yoruba. If anyone calls me Yoruba I am okay with it. But anyone telling me I am not Yoruba is looking for trouble. Let sleeping dogs be. I warned you guys when you were making noise about the new Olu (Tsola). I said using the fact that his mother is Yoruba against him will only backfire. What happened? It backfired and now he is one of the most popular Olus in Itsekiris history - even before assuming the throne. If Bini supremacists have sense, they will stop trying to come between Warri and Yoruba. The link is not ordinary. The link is metaphysical and spiritual. You go to Warri and see an Ogun priest honoring Ogun. You will not understand because it is beyond you. Blood is thicker than water. Trying to drive a wedge between a man and his blood is dumb. Bini already has huge influence in the royalty. What else do you want? Stop fighting Yorubas on social media on behalf of Itsekiris. Do not use your foolishness to tarnish the respect Itsekiris have for Bini. Learn from history including the very recent history of the saga of the current Olu.

6 Likes

Re: Th by TAO12: 3:18am On Aug 23, 2021
UGBE634:
[s]you are not a complete historian, does any of your AcAdEmIc knows the way to Udo, Ugo and Urhonigbe, did they go there. You can't completely claim the greatness of Bini without claiming the Ogisos you know that's why you are jittery and still grandstanding even when the Odds are against you. Those yoruboid binis can't speak for the populace . Even the story they gave out about their origin is full of loopholes. Will they be speaking for the pure binis who are the majority. Even if you go to Udo and Urhonigbe, they will point you to Ugo as the source of the Ogisos, there are folklores which revolves around Ugo concerning the Ogisos about laws of natural justice, peace, honesty, and so on,but there is none about Ife . This is not my stand, it is the general Bini stand against the account received by Egharevba in or at Akenzua's court. I have given you the general Bini account as it is you can go Bleep yourself
At least the readers on here who are sensible have seen my argument and know which fact to pick and the Junk to discard.
Even if the body like that of Esau if it is not the voice of Esau then it is not Esau don't be deceived my sister.[/s]
The earliest traditions of Binis themselves concerning the origin of the Ogiso monarchy (prior to your 21st century laughable sourceless revision) goes thus:

Many, many years ago, Odua (Oduduwa) of Uhe (Ile-Ife) the father and the progenitor of the Yoruba kings sent his eldest son Obagodo who took the title of Ogiso with a large retinue all the way from Uhe to found a Kingdom in this part of the world.

Chief J.U. Egharevba, “A Short History of Benin,” (1936), p.7.

What conclusions have the leading authorities on pre-colonial Benin reached with respect to this origin tradition of the Ogiso monarchy?

Having combed through & scrutinized the early Benin traditions of origins of the Ogiso monarchy, scholars have reached the following conclusion (on the basis of anthropological field work on Benin and the Edos):

The third Ogiso became the last in their Yoruba, Ife line. He returned to Ife, but by that time the very institution of the supreme supra-chiefdom ruler had already been established firmly enough in Benin.

D. M. Bondarenko and P. M. Roese, “Ancient Benin: Where Did the First Monarchs Come From?,” (2001), p.10.

In essence, you and your co-revisionsists without any source whatsoever are unfortunately inconsequential.

Peace!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Th by UGBE634: 7:24am On Aug 23, 2021
TAO12:

The earliest traditions of Binis themselves concerning the origin of the Ogiso monarchy (prior to your 21st century laughable sourceless revision) goes thus:

Many, many years ago, Odua (Oduduwa) of Uhe (Ile-Ife) the father and the progenitor of the Yoruba kings sent his eldest son Obagodo who took the title of Ogiso with a large retinue all the way from Uhe to found a Kingdom in this part of the world.

What conclusions have the leading authorities on pre-colonial Benin reached with respect to this origin tradition of the Ogiso monarchy?

Having combed through & scrutinized the early Benin traditions of origins of the Ogiso monarchy, scholars have reached the following conclusion (on the basis of anthropological field work on Benin and the Edos):

The third Ogiso became the last in their Yoruba, Ife line. He returned to Ife, but by that time the very institution of the supreme supra-chiefdom ruler had already been established firmly enough in Benin.

D. M. Bondarenko and P. M. Roese, “Ancient Benin: Where Did the First Monarchs Come From?,” (2001), p.10.

In essence, you and your co-revisionsists without any source whatsoever are unfortunately inconsequential.

When you seem successful with one claim with one or two binis agreeing with you no matter how absurd it may seem you move on to the next claim, Why is the Ogiso Edo and not Ife.
1. Because there are several folklores concerning the Ogisos in Ugo about Peace, honesty, natural Justice,and so on and not one about Ife.
2.There are descendants of Ogiso in Benin and not Ife, They are one of the 74 families in Benin, they are pure Edos by Blood and they trace their Origin to Ugo and not Ife.
3. The Oba placed himself as a continuation of the Ogisos so as to pass the Message to the Binis or Edos that he is pure Edo by Blood in other to Garner and gather their support against the Ogieamien who gives them tough time at every ascension with the claim that they are foreigners.
4. To discontinue his relationship with the yorubas, because he knows by saying he is a continuation of the Ogiso, he would alter his link with Yoruba and Ife after the bad bromance the father had with western region before 1963 which he was already a grown man and an adult with Education to see these things.
We can see from the following point that Oba Eredieuwa is aware that the Ogiso is stuck in Antiquity and the story Egharevba collated from his father's court is not really a testament of the realities on ground.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Th by OneNigerian: 11:10am On Aug 23, 2021
There was no time when it was mentioned in early Bini history that they were initiated or influenced by Ile Ife. In reality Ile Ife did not even exist as a village in the time of Sacred Eweka the first warrior god king of Bini. The British destroyed a capital of an empire and realised that the people of that empire survived their genocide and have many little kingdoms and chiefdoms that originated from Bini and the Bini would live in them forever so they distorted reality by saying an advanced ancient civilisation came from a very young one. But they stole over 1.5 million Bini art works and bronzes they couldn’t destroy because they were so advanced that the ancestors of white people lacked the knowledge and skills to make them. They are all hidden in museum votes. They document the History of Bini and everyone of them tells a story. The closets they came to mentioning the Yoruba would be that part of Yoruba land belongs to the Bini empire including their kings like the Deji of Akure. It’s these people the OYIBO’s used to destroy Bini history but they failed 100 percent. Just because you ignorant people talk rubbish on here does not make it history. Go write a book about it and see how the credibility of that book would be tarnished in minutes as a work of fiction. Fiction (what you guys talk here about Bini) is different from historical facts and stop quoting the last 300 years history. The current Bini Oba is a direct descendant of a family that has ruled Bini since before Jesus Christ was born. And his family is the second dynasty of Bini which even goes back before the days when the people that became Binis were ruled in Greek style democracy. That is an advanced political system of government by a United people who has an identity even before Eweka decided to kick all their butts and forced their evolution into an empire for easier administration. How old is Ile Ife and the Yorubas and at what point did the Yoruba reach a cultural evolution whereby they had a traditional political identity? After Oduduwa who was never a Yoruba Nan but an Arab or Bini man according to your history? So how can Oduduwa and his bloodline take civilisation back to the very civilisation that produced in him the first place? Given the fact that he became the paramount or dominant king of Yoruba land having dominion over Yoruba land and the Yoruba people and giving his children or grandchildren crowns at will to go and rule over the Yorubas who were way too weak militarily to challenge or disobey him. This was simply because they Yorubas were not that advanced before he came to then with some sort of army apparently. Only Bini women favoured by their Oba can have an army large enough to be given to their son as a gift can afford that in that time line. It takes wealth and great resources to just provide for such a military even today let alone just gift them to someone. It’s like giving part of the Nigerian army and it’s equipment to someone and saying keep this forever, go and kick butt somewhere else. Live and not die and have dominion. How can you now say that person now came back and brought civilisation to Nigeria? Did your mothers drop you guys on the head as babies? I hope I have put this stupid argument to bed? It’s become irritating at the lack of analytical and logical reasoning or intelligence of people who want to put a stamp on history without thinking about the holes in their story. The Yoruba collective is not half as advanced as bibi. No where in Yoruba land was a city built that was 20 percent as magnificent or as rich as Bini city 500 years ago. Bini was like ancient Egypt or Babylon the great. Only I’m Ghana did we find a ciy like that because they had abs knew the value of gold too. And history says the Gaa people of Ghana were out there to settle the land as a seed for civilisation by Bini. Bini sailed the Atlantic Ocean long before the Yoruba learnt to build cities and it’s why Eko Lagos was built by the Bini empire before some powerful queens used their connection to gift it to their sons as it happened throughout Bini history. The warriors who returned home to the eternal city of Bini are usually tattooed first or needed sons with markings on their body before they depart so the seeds of bastards do not claim the eternal city. If a Yoruba man ever sat on any small Bini kingdom in the ancient times for any reason and his father is not Bini origin he would be killed and sacrificed to the gods of the land as an abomination and that is fact. You idiots do not understand or even have the intellectual capacity to process and understand Bini voodoo traditions let alone see how Bini men would bow and accept a bastard on the ancient sit of their god kings. The Binis still don’t make outsiders chiefs. The Oba give you beads instead. How can a people who still think an outsider should never be made a chief accept one as king? Think idiots, think. Any Igbos or Edo state and delta peoples who know Bini traditions please correct me if I am wrong about these Bini practices I have mentioned. Apologies for insulting people on this platform but when someone’s stupidity stun you like this one is so shocked that you have to come down to the level of children to explain stuffs to them and part with an insult because they are either very lazy in their views or simply biased and stupid.
Re: Th by OneNigerian: 11:27am On Aug 23, 2021
The Binis wear wrappers like ancient Egyptians. They came from the Egypt and settled with people who were already there thousands of years before the mega lake Chad started to dry up. That started 8,000 years ago and they maintained contact for a while before being cut off or they choose to cut themselves off as our ancestors preferred the jungle. Look at the design of ancient Bini city? The jungle was encouraged to grow around the city walls. Conservative and care for environment. It would take Europeans 2500 years to become that advanced to understand global warming and the planting of trees to protect the environment. The Binis came with prio knowledge. Do a random samples dna tests of edo and delta state people choose 50 from each village and cities and the blood will settle your lack of knowledge. Quoting propaganda written materials without any historical facts or even a single Bini bronze to support the following works of fiction that you mentioned. I did a dna test to verify the history my father thought me before I even left primary school. He said we are so old as a people we once shared our lands with black giants. There is a story of Oba Ozoluwa wiping off the last of the 15 to 30 feet tall giants. In ancient Egypt temples still have pictures of giants taller than giraffes � doing their daily chores along side normal sized humans when the region was jungle and savanna before the desert forced our direct ancestors to abandon ancient Egypt leaving now it in the hands of other members of our families left behind. What is in the Yoruba blood if you did dna tests? Possible links that both you and the Igbos were once one people who lived in the lands that became Nigeria 25,000 years ago making the Igbos even older than the Yoruba. What legendary civilisations of man would your blood reveal? Except if you were privileged to have had Bini blood injected into it a thousand years ago or lesser before the white men came. The Yoruba were never strong enough to conquer tiny Dahomey (Benin republic) which was part of the Bini empire ruled by Bini people at one point who enjoy enslaving Yoruba people repeatedly. How come you rule over Bini? Is that madness or genetic stupidity? Is it contagious?

TAO12:

Peace!
Re: Th by TAO12: 12:09pm On Aug 23, 2021
UGBE634:
When you seem successful with one claim with one or two binis agreeing with you no matter how absurd it may seem you move on to the next claim
Focusing on the word claim, could you point out one of the points I’ve educated you on which is a mere claim of mine rather than the submission of historical scholarship on the basis on extant, classical received Benin traditions from Benin?

After that, do the same check for your submissions and revert here to tell us what you find—let me know who is clinging to a personal wishful thinking & sourceless latter-day poor fraudulent revision.

Why is the Ogiso Edo and not Ife.

Lol. First of all, “ogiso” is not a given/personal name.

Rather, it is the Edo word for the office held by these monarchs who first ruled the Edos.

The discussion here is NOT about the word with which the autochthonous people (the Binis) described that office in their own language.

Neither is the discussion here about the mythologies woven around the holders of the office (at least the 1st of them) by the Bini people perhaps due to their leadership shrewdness — e.g., Sky descent.

Rather, this discussion is about the place from where the initiative for that monarchy was born/despatched.

The earliest Benin traditions (undisputed by modern historical scrutiny) answers that the place is IFE.

———————
Now to the name itself, having clarified that the Edos may call such temporary representatives by any title they wish in their language; or weave any mythology they wish around them:

In the worldview of the Yorubas, a person assigned to carry out tasks in a foreign land (in the interest of the Ife-Yoruba court or any Yoruba court for that matter) is simply a “chief” (i.e. olóyè/onóyè) of the court.

The title applied by the native Edos to these Yorubas envoys (the first and by extension all three of them) who have been assigned the task of introducing some monarchy form to the natives is ogiso.

This word comes from a phrase which itself is rooted in two basic words. One of these two Edo words viz. ogie is recognizably cognate with Yoruba, Igbo, etc.

The second of these two words is iso which unlike th first may have evolved way, way earlier from a basic common etymon in the proto-YEAI cluster; or perhaps even from the proto-Benue-Kwa cluster.

It is important to add that this word developed into a mythical attribute from a praise attribute; just as the Omonoba Akenzua II (reign: 1933 - 1978) also has the praise name: “Akenzua n-iso n-orhọ”.

The Edo word “ogie”, as noted above, is cognate with some other words in the proto-YEAI language cluster.

In other words, it evolved (as others) from a common etymon in that cluster. Some of the cognates in their respective languages are:

Oche (Idoma), Orodje (Urhobo/Isoko) Onóyè (Yoruba), Ovie (Urhobo/Isoko), Ogie (Edo), Oje (Esan), Eje (Proto-Igboid), Eze (Modern Igbo).

It is noteworthy to state that these words technically speaking is not strictly equivalent to the word “king”, although it has evolved in modern times to mean one and the same thing.

For a fact, these words originally signifies the following linguistically:

“The Honorable”, “Office-Holder”, “Ruler”, “Chief”, etc.

From the standpoint of historical studies/research as well, kingship (in its actual sense) has not developed in the Edo forest prior to/during the Ogiso period.

As such, the pre-existing Edo word, “ogie”, could not have had a meaning equivalent to such concept. This is not to say some form of political organization would not have been in existence amongst them.

These and several other evidences must in fact have informed Bondarenko’s consistent clarification of the Ogisos as no monarchs in the strict sense of the word, but actually some supreme supra-chiefdom rulers.

1. Because there are several folklores concerning the Ogisos in Ugo about Peace, honesty, natural Justice,and so on and not one about Ife.

2.There are descendants of Ogiso in Benin and not Ife, They are one of the 74 families in Benin, they are pure Edos by Blood and they trace their Origin to Ugo and not Ife.

3. The Oba placed himself as a continuation of the Ogisos so as to pass the Message to the Binis or Edos that he is pure Edo by Blood in other to Garner and gather their support against the Ogieamien who gives them tough time at every ascension with the claim that they are foreigners.

4. To discontinue his relationship with the yorubas, because he knows by saying he is a continuation of the Ogiso, he would alter his link with Yoruba and Ife after the bad bromance the father had with western region before 1963 which he was already a grown man and an adult with Education to see these things.
We can see from the following point that Oba Eredieuwa is aware that the Ogiso is stuck in Antiquity and the story Egharevba collated from his father's court is not really a testament of the realities on ground.
1. You’ve been confidently chatting sh*t all along.

First of all, if by “Ugo” you’re trying desperately to give the impression that the Ogiso monarch was first despatched to Benin town from Ugo, then you lie as there is no objective reference for that anywhere. Not even the recent fraudulent revisions say that.

But if by “Ugo”, you mean that the original site of the Ogisos’ court is situated within Ugo (rather than within Benin town itself), then you lie again — even though it makes no difference to the point my point wherever they ruled from.

The late Dr. R. E. Bradbury (who during his days was the outstanding authority on Benin and the Edo speaking peoples — with years of intensive anthropological field work in Benin, and contributing a volume on the Benin Kingdom to the Ethnographic survey of Africa) already notes in his 1957 publication
that the original site of the Ogiso court was within the present limit of Benin “town”.

All in all, the earliest Benin traditions (undisputed by modern historical scrutiny) notes that the first ‘Benin’ monarchs who came to be mythologized as Ogiso are actually emissaries from Ife (the first 3 of them) prior to when the Binis continued the political organization by themselves also as a non-dynastic “monarchy”. See: Egharevba (1936) p.7; Bondarenko & Roese (2001), p.10; Bondarenko & Roese (2015), p.54.

2. Could you explain how the descendants of the Bini Ogisos should have been in Ife (and not Benin) based off of the fact that the system was launched to Benin from there?

Moreover, you bungled again with your “Ugo” fraud. The Ogiso ‘dynasty’ (so-called) was not a dynasty in the sense of the word. In other word, it was never a father to son affair. You never knew this. ~ See: Ibid.

Moreover, the Ife Yoruba-line is said to have ended at the time of the third of them at a time when Ife was convinced that the autochthonous people (the Binis) are now capable of running such system effectively by themselves. I have cited the evidence for this.

By the way, I noticed you never cited a single material, not even a toilet roll. You mean we must agree with anything you type because your moniker is UGBE? LMAO!

3. Of course, I am aware that Omonoba Erediauwa (in whose time Edo history went fraudulent) was trying to miraculously convert himself to patrilineal Bini by coming up with the fraud that Oranmiyan is descended from Ogiso Owodo.

I am aware that he is patrilineally Yoruba. I am aware that he was just being fraudulent. I have repeated this with historical evidence since ‘forever’. You’re not the first to tell me that.

However, no one historian ever said that Owodo is an Ife-Yoruba man — literally no historian said that.

Instead, what historians find on the basis of the early Benin traditions is that:

The first chief (mythologized as “ogiso” by the natives) was sent from Ife. The third was the last in the Ife line. The Edo continued the system themselves. The system was not a father to son affair. cheesy

4. On the basis of the foregoing point 3 your logic that the Ogiso was initiated by the Edo is embarrassingly flawed.

The historical sources are clear, the monarchy began as a internal Edo affair only on the fourth reign.

As such, Erediauwa’s fraud is consistent while also not disrupting a thing from the early Benin traditions that Ife is the home of only the first 3 of the “Honorables”.

In other words, Ife is the origin of the system even as per the Benin traditions which has remained logical in the light of thorough scrutiny by the historians.

Peace! cheesy

Cc: christistruth00, nisai

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Th by TAO12: 12:11pm On Aug 23, 2021
OneNigerian:
[s]The Binis wear wrappers like ancient Egyptians. They came from the Egypt and settled with people who were already there thousands of years before the mega lake Chad started to dry up. That started 8,000 years ago and they maintained contact for a while before being cut off or they choose to cut themselves off as our ancestors preferred the jungle. Look at the design of ancient Bini city? The jungle was encouraged to grow around the city walls. Conservative and care for environment. It would take Europeans 2500 years to become that advanced to understand global warming and the planting of trees to protect the environment. The Binis came with prio knowledge. Do a random samples dna tests of edo and delta state people choose 50 from each village and cities and the blood will settle your lack of knowledge. Quoting propaganda written materials without any historical facts or even a single Bini bronze to support the following works of fiction that you mentioned. I did a dna test to verify the history my father thought me before I even left primary school. He said we are so old as a people we once shared our lands with black giants. There is a story of Oba Ozoluwa wiping off the last of the 15 to 30 feet tall giants. In ancient Egypt temples still have pictures of giants taller than giraffes � doing their daily chores along side normal sized humans when the region was jungle and savanna before the desert forced our direct ancestors to abandon ancient Egypt leaving now it in the hands of other members of our families left behind. What is in the Yoruba blood if you did dna tests? Possible links that both you and the Igbos were once one people who lived in the lands that became Nigeria 25,000 years ago making the Igbos even older than the Yoruba. What legendary civilisations of man would your blood reveal? Except if you were privileged to have had Bini blood injected into it a thousand years ago or lesser before the white men came. The Yoruba were never strong enough to conquer tiny Dahomey (Benin republic) which was part of the Bini empire ruled by Bini people at one point who enjoy enslaving Yoruba people repeatedly. How come you rule over Bini? Is that madness or genetic stupidity? Is it contagious?[/s]
I hear you, Mr Binis came from Egypt.

I hope someday you will stop embarrassing yourself.

6 Likes

Re: Th by Olu317(m): 5:57pm On Aug 23, 2021
Christistruth00:

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Th by FairlyUSEDpussy: 10:05am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
PS:
Throughout the centuries of interaction between the Europeans and the southern “Nigeria” area, including Benin kingdom, there is no single record of a name of any Benin king.

Shall we then be foolish like you to pretend to reach the inane conclusion that Benin began to have kings on recently — or that Benin kings (if they exist) never had names?

Similarly, throughout the centuries of the interactions with the Europeans, there is no single record of any relationship between Benin and Onitsha.

Shall we then be foolish like you to pretend to reach the inane conclusion that Benin had no relationship with Onitsha until in recent times?
—————————

You are actually to foolish to be ignored because to ignore has a specially foolish meaning to you. To you it means that you’re stating FaCtS. Joker. cheesy

Moreover, you are also resolutely fraudulent because this very crap you heaped above have been even to your satisfaction on a different thread. grin

Eyewitness testimony/writings from the late-1400s & early-1500s which references the monarch of the Ife kingdom & his suzerainty over Benin kingdom exist.

NB: Yes, there used to be a debate in academia in the 1970s/1980s (between the mainstream scholars on one hand; and one, two, or three others on another hand) over the identity of this suzerain.

This debate was particularly on the usage of the word “east” in those early writings.

In present time, however, there is no single academic historian who holds the notion that this suzerain (of the early writings) is other than the Ooni of Ife [i.e. Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni Ufẹ̀ in the Ife dialect of the Yoruba language].

The symbol ⟨ɣ⟩ being the voiced velar fricative with its consonant sound as in this audio sample.

This conclusion is reinforced by the fact that no king, throughout the Guinea Forest of West Africa matches the specific sacral details given in those early writings, except the Ooni of Ife.

In addition to this significant fact, the debate over the word “east” was subsequently quelled by the fact that from Atakpame (in present-day Togo) to the kingdom of Benin (in present-day Nigeria), from Èkó (next to the Atlantic Ocean) to Ọ̀yọ́-Ilé (not far from the Niger River) Ife is known by the interesting epithet: Ibi ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá — i.e. “the place from where the sun rises”.

For some written references to the widespread usage of this epithet (in reference to Ife) among the natives of this region of West Africa, please refer to:

(B) R. Horton (1979), p. 85., citing B. Maupoil (1943), A. Akinjogbin (1967:41-43), R. Smith (1969:31), as well as A. Obayemi (1976:206).

This reverential (rather than literal) epithet of Ife informed the literalist Europeans’ writings whose source(s) are Benin spokespersons of their king.

Hence the appearance of the word “east” in the early European writings in reference to the kingdom of the Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni (who is transliterated in the early writings as “Hooguanee”, “Ogané”, etc.).

Side Note: Binis, till today, still sometimes refer to the Ooni as Oghene. Refer to the entry “ɔɣɛnɛ” (i.e. “ọghẹnẹ”) in Hans Melzian’s “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” where its second definition is given as: “Bini name for the ni at Ile Ife”

Moreover, another piece of historical evidence which quelled the academic debate on the word “east” (as is seen in the early writings in reference to this overlord) are early maps.

There are maps (e.g. from the early 1500s) which show the phrase Dominion of the Orguene annotated across the western half of today’s Nigeria.

These historical information leaves anyone (not only the historians) with the only logical conclusion that the appearance of the word “east” in those early writings is of course not literal.

In conclusion, contrary to your ignorant assumption, there are writings from the early 1500s (on the basis of interviews of Bini representatives in the late 1400s) which references the king of Ife & his overlordship on Benin kingdom and other places.

Apart from early writings, there are other types of historical evidence which also establish clearly that there exist a classic (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

These other type of historical evidence which I come to here are classical artifacts from the hard science of archaeology. One crucial examples in this regard is discussed below.

The artifact shown in this link is the image of an Ooni of Ife. ~ S. P. Blier, “Art in Ancient Ife,” 2012, Figure 17.

The Ife naturalism of this artifact, its facial striations, as well as its classical Ife ceremonial costume and the pair of chest ornament help art historians (as well as Benin chroniclers alike) with identifying this image as an Ooni of Ife.

What is very, very crucial here is that this artifact was found in the archaeological deposits of Benin. To be more precise, it was excavated from the royal palace of Benin kingdom.

Furthermore, the production date of this artifact has now been established by science. This artifact is dated, by thermoluminescence technique, to the year 1420 [± 60 years].

~ Calvocoressi & David, “A New Survey of Radiocarbon and Thermoluminescence Dates for West Africa,” 1979, p. 19.

For more pictorial angles (and details) regarding this particular artifact, please refer to:

(A) W. Fagg, “A Bronze Figure in Ife Style at Benin,” British Museum, June 1950, Plate Fa, Fb, Fc

(B) F. Willett, “Ife in the History of West African Sculpture,” McGraw-Hill, 1967, Figure 89.

In other words, a more-than 500-year-old ‘bronze’ cast of an Ooni Ife was discovered in the (archaeological deposits of the) palace of Benin kingdom.

In conclusion, it thus becomes clear that there exists a classical (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

Again, this conclusion which I have inevitably reached is not mine. This is simply the conclusion of historical scholarship. This can be seen in the following works:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

African history (some of whose names and works are listed above) is shown in the page below from Adam Knobler (2016), p.47.

Peace! cheesy

Cc: nisai, FairlyUSEDpussy, theTranslator. UGBE634

More wisdom to yo brain ma......
Kindly continue to school.......
Sorry....i'm responding so late I got banned.......

1 Like

Re: Th by FairlyUSEDpussy: 10:05am On Aug 25, 2021
TAO12:
PS:

—————————

Peace! cheesy

Cc: nisai, FairlyUSEDpussy, theTranslator. UGBE634

More wisdom to yo brain ma......
Kindly continue to school them.......
Sorry....i'm responding so late I got banned.......

1 Like

Re: Th by olawalepopoola: 9:13pm On Aug 25, 2021
theTranslator:
lol
The king of Benin is Yoruba
Their name "Benin" is from Yoruba
Itsekiri speaks Yoruboid
"Olu" is Yoruba
That stupid law has been destroyed
Their new Olu has a Yoruba mother from Ogun State
No amount of crying can change that cheesy
Ife to be precise. His mum was a daughter of a former Ooni

1 Like

Re: Th by macof(m): 2:03am On Aug 26, 2021
OneNigerian:
Yes brothers, these guys are ignorant as they come. The famous mascot of FESTAC 77 on the old Nigerian currency (haven’t seen a Nigerian currency in over a decade) shows the great Queen of legend Idia of Bini with 16 European ambassadors on head head to symbolise that white men including Portuguese ambassadors bow before the queen of Bini, the wife of a god King and the mother of the next god King. She opened up Bini. She had her own armies and can wage wars at will if she chooses. No Yoruba queen in history, past present or future had such a power or ever will for all time. Bini is not in the same Level or age of the Yoruba nation or anyone of its Kingdom. Britain knew this. It’s why they decided that it must be destroyed and erased from the map so they can colonise the colonies they later had in West Africa. No Yoruba city ever grew to the size of Bini and 500 years ago the Oba of Bini could raise a 1 million men strong army. The collection of Yoruba kingdoms under any are onona kanfo were never half that strong . It’s 100 percent impossible for the Yoruba nation as a collective to invade Bini and rule its Oba let alone tiny Ile ife? Seriously? Bini would have sent an army led by a woman to destroy or colonise it for such an insult. Bini ceded civilisations across west Africa including our neighbouring country republic of Benin named after the land of their ancestors acknowledge their origin as not Yoruba. Yorubas were never strong enough to conquer the armies of Bini women that marched into Yoruba land constantly and captured and enslaved Yoruba men and women selling them as slaves across the Atlantic Ocean in which was an evil thing to do as Bini fought a civil war to end whole sale slavery a thousand years earlier. So this retard saying an idiot from the west quoted the god King the person of an Oba of Bini bowing to an ordinary Ife King must have been dropped on their head as a baby. Go study your history. Bini is s civilisations that can be quoted on the same breath as their ancestors the black ancient Egyptians my direct ancestors.

grin grin
How much was the population of Bini that one million men could be raised for an army grin
Even today that the population is higher, one million men cannot be raised for an army

The collection of yoruba kingdoms were not half as strong grin grin

Honestly, Bini people have finally run mad grin

6 Likes

Re: Th by Nobody: 5:57am On Aug 26, 2021
macof:

grin grin
How much was the population of Bini that one million men could be raised for an army grin
Even today that the population is higher, one million men cannot be raised for an army

The collection of yoruba kingdoms were not half as strong grin grin

Honestly, Bini people have finally run mad grin
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Th by samuk: 9:23am On Aug 26, 2021
TAO12:
PS:

Peace! cheesy

Cc: nisai

Does the lady of fraud still stand by the above lies and misinformation? You almost got away with this.

You copy and paste junks knowing too well that most guys here on nairaland lacks common sense to interrogate your write ups.

Most guys are below average in their thinking abilities and you capitalise on this by overwhelming them with copy and paste that most of them can't read, even some that can read them hardly understand the long gibberish. Even when a location says east and you told them the text actually means west, some of these guys are so dense that they believe you.

You chum out garbage and lies with such authority that the less informed and ignorant are easily misled, misinformed and deceived.

What do you have to say for yourself now that you have been caught pants down.

I repeat names of Benin Obas were documented by Europeans before oba Ovonramwen in 1897 and none of the Oba had Yoruba names.

You pretend to know Benin history, but you don't. Your knowledge of Benin history doesn't go beyond the fairytales that were told between 1897 to 1960. Your knowledge of Benin history begins and ends in this 66 years difficult period in Benin history.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

All Women Are Good Witches - Ooni Of Ife / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Threatens To ‘Arrest’ Magistrate / How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 255
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.