Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,192 members, 7,815,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) (38847 Views)

Afghanistan: Deadly Suicide Bomb At Bank In Kandahar(photos) / FULL SPEECH: Joe Biden’s Remarks On Afghanistan / Bidden On Afghanistan: Five More Years Of US Presence Won't Change Anything (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Bundaweber: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2021
Heterodox:
The above is a fat lie. They have rare earth metals but not $1trn worth

CNN abi na BBC estimates its about $2trn worth
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Hushmoni: 10:47am On Aug 20, 2021
Don't start whatever you can't finish, Nigeria should learn from this. Its better to make decisions earlier than lately grin
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by fof1: 10:55am On Aug 20, 2021
airminem:
The US is guilty...

THE US GOVERNMENT IS NOT WRONG...20YEARS IS NOT 20 DAYS OR MONTHS,PLS... THE NATIVES SHOULD GROW UP AND DEFEND THEIR SOULS AND THEIR LANDS...

1 Like

Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 20, 2021
lawkenoz:

Bro you're using half truths here. Trump made a deal that was signed by all three of them, the US govt, Afghan govt and the Taliban to pull out by may this year, which also included the realease of the prisoners. The deal was in the works way before the elections so don't claim it was done cause he lost. The middle East was relatively at peace during Trump's regime. You might not like the guy but it's fact that he had that region under control.

Now understand that it isn't the pulling out that is causing the drama per say but how it was done. The Taliban one way or another was always gonna seek to return to power after the US left.

Biden came in and broke the deal signed by trump by shifting the withdrawal date from the signed dates. Get the optics happening here, the moment Biden shifted the date from the signed and agreed date the Taliban went into propaganda mode. Biden handed them an excuse. The Taliban had the ammunition and reason to delegitimize the Afghan government as being a puppet regime and the US a tyrant for shifting the date. In effect Biden broke the deal signed. All he would have done was kept to the original date as signed and agreed upon, then properly deploy logistics for the withdrawal.

My opinion is that Biden deliberately broke the deal by shifting the date, knowing exactly this is what the outcome would be. If they had withdrawn with the original agreement and it didn't devolve into chaos, he would have given trump an ego boost, trust the former president to revel in such matter. Biden simply didn't want any credit to be alluded to Trump.

Bidens pull out game was horrible (lol), weapons abandoned which the Taliban will use to cause great destruction you can bet, American citizens stuck in the country. The guy messed up the withdrawal.

You are right

But even if Biden followed the Trump deal to the letter....it would have just delayed what happened by a few months.

If you want to blame anyone for this issue...blame the useless Afghan army.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by kponkedenge(m): 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2021
lawkenoz:

Bro you're using half truths here. Trump made a deal that was signed by all three of them, the US govt, Afghan govt and the Taliban to pull out by may this year, which also included the realease of the prisoners. The deal was in the works way before the elections so don't claim it was done cause he lost. The middle East was relatively at peace during Trump's regime. You might not like the guy but it's fact that he had that region under control.

Now understand that it isn't the pulling out that is causing the drama per say but how it was done. The Taliban one way or another was always gonna seek to return to power after the US left.

Biden came in and broke the deal signed by trump by shifting the withdrawal date from the signed dates. Get the optics happening here, the moment Biden shifted the date from the signed and agreed date the Taliban went into propaganda mode. Biden handed them an excuse. The Taliban had the ammunition and reason to delegitimize the Afghan government as being a puppet regime and the US a tyrant for shifting the date. In effect Biden broke the deal signed. All he would have done was kept to the original date as signed and agreed upon, then properly deploy logistics for the withdrawal.

My opinion is that Biden deliberately broke the deal by shifting the date, knowing exactly this is what the outcome would be. If they had withdrawn with the original agreement and it didn't devolve into chaos, he would have given trump an ego boost, trust the former president to revel in such matter. Biden simply didn't want any credit to be alluded to Trump.

Bidens pull out game was horrible (lol), weapons abandoned which the Taliban will use to cause great destruction you can bet, American citizens stuck in the country. The guy messed up the withdrawal.

Well you've spoken well.... But the major issue here is why Trump made a deal with the Taliban and releasing 5000 Taliban prisoners.... One of which is now the current leader of Afghanistan....what exactly did Trump get in return? We still don't know till today....make no mistake, the Afghan government wasn't part of that negotiations like you claimed... Go back and check.

Remember Trump didn't give Biden a smooth transition.... He locked Biden on virtually everything....from National Security abroad to domestic issues.... Leaving Pence to do the handover.... Something that has never ever happened in American history before. Biden was able to adapt quickly having been a former VP.

You may not like Biden, but I don't think Biden would make such a careless deal, releasing 5000 terrorists just like that and getting nothing in return.

I believe the Taliban probably paid Trump or Kushner directly for their release, because I don't think Trump does anything that doesn't benefit him directly.... Just as he was selling presidential pardon on the final days of his presidency.

1 Like

Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lawkenoz(m): 12:26pm On Aug 20, 2021
kponkedenge:

Well you've spoken well.... But the major issue here is why Trump made a deal with the Taliban and releasing 5000 Taliban prisoners.... One of which is now the current leader of Afghanistan....what exactly did Trump get in return? We still don't know till today....make no mistake, the Afghan government wasn't part of that negotiations like you claimed... Go back and check.

Remember Trump didn't give Biden a smooth transition.... He locked Biden on virtually everything....from National Security abroad to domestic issues.... Leaving Pence to do the handover.... Something that has never ever happened in American history before. Biden was able to adapt quickly having been a former VP.

You may not like Biden, but I don't think Biden would make such a careless deal, releasing 5000 terrorists just like that and getting nothing in return.

I believe the Taliban probably paid Trump or Kushner directly for their release, because I don't think Trump does anything that doesn't benefit him directly.... Just as he was selling presidential pardon on the final days of his presidency.

Remember the Taliban were propped up by the US during the Soviet resistance in those region. Trump had every incentive to release them back to thier enclave and to allow them allow the setup government a bit of space. I was very much intune with the agreement and the deal was signed by all 3, not just the Taliban.

The problem isn't if biden followed through with the withdrawal it's how's it's done. Imagine leaving billions of dollar worth military hardware and weapons including predator drones. How does one get that sloppy or are they trying to intentionally hand over weapons to the Taliban. Terrorist are released all the time in negotiations, it cost tax payers to keep them locked up and fed, you can't keep them indefinitely.

I'm quite neutral on Biden and trump, I'm more strict on Biden cuz he's been in government for over 47 years and still make the mistakes of an amateur which trump was. Biden should have known better.

Biden, mind you was never in support of a withdrawal from the onset, if trump had not signed the withdrawal deal I bet you Biden wouldn't even talk about pulling out till his tenure is over.

He should have kept to every detail and date of the withdrawal, at least to save face. Now the Taliban claims it was the Americans that broke the deal. We know it's hogwash but that's the optics they want to use. Biden gave them that leverage and loo how messy it is now. All I'm saying is that it would ha e gone a while lot better than it is now.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lawkenoz(m): 12:33pm On Aug 20, 2021
Beancounter94:

You are right

But even if Biden followed the Trump deal to the letter....it would have just delayed what happened by a few months.

If you want to blame anyone for this issue...blame the useless Afghan army.

True if he had followed the agreement the Taliban would have been seen as the enemy at least by a larger majority, terrorist and going back on agreements go hand in hand.

By breaking the deal the narrative is that America is the problem, of course they partly are.... See the weapons left behind, the vehicles tanks, APCS, drones and military hardware, it's like he just planned to arm these Taliban guys.

Afghanistan is a corrupt corrupt country just a tad higher than what we have in naija. The Afghan military was just a money siphon seive. They are as useless as the military we have here if not worse!
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by kponkedenge(m): 12:39pm On Aug 20, 2021
lawkenoz:

Remember the Taliban were propped up by the US during the Soviet resistance in those region. Trump had every incentive to release them back to thier enclave and to allow them allow the setup government a bit of space. I was very much intune with the agreement and the deal was signed by all 3, not just the Taliban.

The problem isn't if biden followed through with the withdrawal it's how's it's done. Imagine leaving billions of dollar worth military hardware and weapons including predator drones. How does one get that sloppy or are they trying to intentionally hand over weapons to the Taliban. Terrorist are released all the time in negotiations, it cost tax payers to keep them locked up and fed, you can't keep them indefinitely.

I'm quite neutral on Biden and trump, I'm more strict on Biden cuz he's been in government for over 47 years and still make the mistakes of an amateur which trump was. Biden should have known better.

Biden, mind you was never in support of a withdrawal from the onset, if trump had not signed the withdrawal deal I bet you Biden wouldn't even talk about pulling out till his tenure is over.

He should have kept to every detail and date of the withdrawal, at least to save face. Now the Taliban claims it was the Americans that broke the deal. We know it's hogwash but that's the optics they want to use. Biden gave them that leverage and loo how messy it is now. All I'm saying is that it would ha e gone a while lot better than it is now.

I too wasn't happy with the sloppiness of the withdrawal, but most people are just pinning everything on Biden as if it was solely his fault.

From the onset, American should never have invaded both Afghanistan and Iraq because they ended up spending trillions of dollars and loss of unnecessary lives; mostly innocent in the process.

Let's hope they've learned their lesson this time around and leave other countries to sort out their internal issues without interference.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Krismas(m): 12:48pm On Aug 20, 2021
airminem:
The US is guilty...
coolThe fact check cleverly side stepped the Islamic militias CIA armed and funded as a counter pose to the Taliban, who went about murdering Afghan for nothing and over trivialities

1 Like

Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by IjeBos(m): 1:32pm On Aug 20, 2021
I'm all for fact checks, but this seems to have somewhat of a bias. I tend to discount the analysis of anyone that touts the figure that there hasn't been any Us deaths in the last few years or makes the argument that a small force of 2500 was keeping Afghan stable for the last year without qualifying that with fact that the US and Taliban had a US Withdrawal agreement which included a cease fire, which would therefore preclude the need for a larger force and prevent any deaths in that period. This fact check does the former.

1 Like

Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by LordReed(m): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2021
lawkenoz:

Then why didn't the Taliban attack US Forces?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Mftivi: 1:58pm On Aug 20, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
most Muslims in Facebook see this as a liberation for afghan while those in afghan continue to disembark
they are 40 million
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Mftivi: 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2021
BanevsJoker:

The same Afghans so desperate to escape their own country that they chose to fall to their deaths from the landing gear of evacuation planes?
they are 40 million guy don't be so naive why are most of you easily fooled by media. I am a Christian and will never agree to Sharia rule but there is huge evidence that 99% of Afghanistans are sympathetic to Talibans so nobody has any business forcing another system on them! USA did nothing but cause mysery there.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Mftivi: 2:06pm On Aug 20, 2021
kudinkarfe:
Biden has been in government for long and he understand the politics going on in all countries, he also knows how to deal with them. Withdrawing American soldiers from Afghanistan is the only solution, they will solve their problems themselves. Very soon he will deal with Nigerian leaders in a language they will understand. Is good to vote a leader with experience.
you bumbling ignoramus if they come here what will follow is mysery and death of men women and children.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Mftivi: 2:14pm On Aug 20, 2021
aoshi:

Stop listening to one-sided news mr. oga. i guess the war in Libya was on the Republicans, the failed invasion(Bay of Pigs), the Vietnam war were also Republicans. I guess the massive killings ISIS/ISIL carried out were also Republicans. Whether Democrats or Republicans they all only have one thing in common - advancement of their country. Stop study more on issues before stating 'what you hear on CNN and other liberal media'.
finding it hard to stay off these topics cos the ignorance of my black brothers dey wound me for soul. Why have we become so dumb ? 80% of us have no clue what is going on in the world just empty heads ready to be fed any kind of propaganda. why are Africans so in love with same people that disrupted their own civilization and continue to mortgage their true Liberation generation after generation by proxy rule ?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by infogeneral: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2021
The Afghans have already made their choice. The world could only watch as they enjoy or suffer the consequences of their decision.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by wellmax(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2021
lexy2014:

But these are ur exact words:

Is this really happening [b]to [/b]the almighty saints in America?

Not happening in America, happening to to Americans
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by wellmax(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2021
lexy2014:

Good. So did d report say that American activities in Afghanistan were corrupt activities?

Of course, America is corrupt.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lexy2014: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2021
wellmax:

Of course, America is corrupt.

I didnt ask u if america is corrupt. did d report say that American activities in Afghanistan were corrupt activities?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by wellmax(m): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2021
lexy2014:

I didnt ask u if america is corrupt. did d report say that American activities in Afghanistan were corrupt activities?

Of course. Read it again, this time slowly
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lexy2014: 2:44pm On Aug 20, 2021
wellmax:

Is this really happening [b]to [/b]the almighty saints in America?

Not happening in America, happening to to Americans

But u are said something different below

wellmax:

Is this really happening to the almighty saints in America.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lexy2014: 2:45pm On Aug 20, 2021
wellmax:

Of course. Read it again, this time slowly

where in d report did it say that American activities in Afghanistan were corrupt activities?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lexy2014: 2:50pm On Aug 20, 2021
lawkenoz:

what mistake did Biden make as an amateur? who left billions dollar worth of military hardware and weapons?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by ibuildstuff(m): 4:17pm On Aug 20, 2021
wellmax:

That money was provided by Americans and managed by SIGAR, controlled by Americans.

Americans siphoned by money. My point, there is corruption everywhere like you said, Nigeria's case is not unique. it is a problem still.
The Afghanistan government was very corrupt, it's part of the reason their soldiers has low moral.

1 Like

Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by Ayed44: 6:03pm On Aug 20, 2021
BigRocky:

Which part don't you understand

The part were I said "majority" all you don't know what majority means .
When did u conduct the poll to arrive at your "MAJORITY"?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lawkenoz(m): 1:48am On Aug 21, 2021
lexy2014:

what mistake did Biden make as an amateur? who left billions dollar worth of military hardware and weapons?
short answer Biden! Or are you not following the news?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lawkenoz(m): 1:49am On Aug 21, 2021
LordReed:

Then why didn't the Taliban attack US Forces?
Such a move will definitely prolong the American occupation,
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lexy2014: 7:20am On Aug 21, 2021
lawkenoz:
short answer Biden! Or are you not following the news?

Since u are following d news, answering d questions shouldn't be a challenge for u. what mistake did Biden make as an amateur? who left billions dollar worth of military hardware and weapons?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by LordReed(m): 8:18am On Aug 21, 2021
lawkenoz:

Such a move will definitely prolong the American occupation,

Exactly.
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lawkenoz(m): 9:03am On Aug 21, 2021
lexy2014:

Since u are following d news, answering d questions shouldn't be a challenge for u. what mistake did Biden make as an amateur? who left billions dollar worth of military hardware and weapons?
I've answered the question bro, Biden is to blame firstly for the messy situation, his poor handling of the withdrawal plan caused the US military to abandon a ton of military hardware, abi do you me to post a news link to for you?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by lexy2014: 9:14am On Aug 21, 2021
lawkenoz:

I've answered the question bro, Biden is to blame firstly for the messy situation, his poor handling of the withdrawal plan caused the US military to abandon a ton of military hardware, abi do you me to post a news link to for you?

I didn't ask u if Biden is to blame or not. I asked u "what mistake did Biden make as an amateur?"

who left billions dollar worth of military hardware and weapons?

Was it d US that abandoned "a ton of military hardware"?
Re: Biden Assertions On Afghanistan Fact-Checked (Photos) by aoshi: 10:40am On Aug 21, 2021
Mftivi:
finding it hard to stay off these topics cos the ignorance of my black brothers dey wound me for soul. Why have we become so dumb ? 80% of us have no clue what is going on in the world just empty heads ready to be fed any kind of propaganda. why are Africans so in love with same people that disrupted their own civilization and continue to mortgage their true Liberation generation after generation by proxy rule ?
Very right my Bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

US Election: Police Find Vehicle With Guns As Men Plan To Attack Election Centre / G-7 Countries Meet In Japan, Announce Support For Israel, To Pause Humanitarian / "They Keep On Talking, We Keep On Rolling" - Robert Mugabe's Sons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.