Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,271 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member (5464 Views)

Buhari Approves Removal Of Mohammed Fadah A NYSC DG Over ‘Incompetence’ / My Experience As A Nasarawa/Lagos Ex-Corper. (19C) / My Experience As A Corp Member In Kebbi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by bazallah: 10:15pm On Jan 29, 2022
bnovative:
I served in Kano state, Gabasawa local government in 2006 to be precise. The village was zakirai. At the time karaye camp was about being completed and it was one of the most beautiful camps in Nigeria. I understand story but if you look beyond your frustration, it will help your mental health.
The cost leaving in the village was cheap.
Go to sabon gari to unwind during weekends
Watch Spanish league with the locals in their viewing center.
Get a female coper and catch your fun
Avoid talking to any yarinya because u could be killed.
zakirai it's my town presently i'm on it
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by bnovative(m): 11:30pm On Jan 29, 2022
bazallah:
zakirai it's my town presently i'm on it
I hope you have a great experience serving there.
I did enjoy my stay.
It's in the mindset.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Ali12345(m): 8:10am On Jan 30, 2022
Born2conquer:
KANO WELFARE

Everything Mrphysics mentioned here is nothing but the truth
https://www.nairaland.com/3139817/nysc-experience-kano-state

If you’re part or the lucky 10% posted to Sabon Gari, you have no problem but if you’re part of the rest lmao, just read the above thread and brace up.

1)Religion extremists
2)Food Shock, they have no food and they’re unhygienic with their food production so you will have to because a full time cook yourself unless you want to live on bread and water
3)Communication barrier, they don’t speak english at all
4)No alcohol
5)No fastfood (those posted away from cities)
6)Forget ladies because you will hardly see their gurls sef and the once you see are already engaged, you can’t even walk up to them because their men will spot you and that’s you being on their bad book.
7)The heat is MADDDDDDDDDDDD with sharp dusts blowing everywhere and Body having cracks
cool The cold will kill you even in the afternoon.

Any good thing in Kano? The good things in kano atr those things you considered irrelevant or norms back home.

Shout out to every corper serving in Kano away from the cities, May the GOOD GOD keep being with you.

Even though you’ve been abandoned, may God keep coming through for you.

which year did you serve in kano
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Adewale1603(m): 4:04pm On Jan 31, 2022
I also served in Kano, did the 3weeks camping, but relocated to osun state. the orientation camp is very discipline and strict, no charging sockets in the hostels, one have to charge at mammy market for 50 naira. but the facilities are okay, the toilets and bathrooms, the multipurpose hall, parade ground and sporting facilities
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by gameboy727(m): 6:36pm On Jan 31, 2022
Born2conquer:
Life at the orientation camp.

Charging
Waking up unfailingly is by 5am daily and you will participate in all the parades and charging is not possible in the room so you will have to charge at mami market for 50naira, i advice you bring at least 1 power bank.

Bathing.
You’re not at home so the bathroom is purely nothing to write home about, there’s a big hostel for the guys and that’s where the better bathroom is, you also need to buy your own bucket if you do not like borrowing from people (600naira on campus)
You can also pay between 50naira to bath at mammy market.

FEEDING
This is another warning signal I ignored, you will be fed 3times daily with most of the food including TUWO Masara, shinkafa, beans, pap and few days with rice but you can hardly get any good food to buy at the maami market, the following are the food being sold at the mammy market
1)Sharwarma (Very trash)
2)Coloured, tasteless rice called Jollof rice
3) Fried potatoes,yam and akara
4) Meshai seller (hausa selling indomie, egg,bread ) constituent the rest.
5)SUYA: the suya you will be eating in Kano is different and thrasher than what you’ve been eating in the south.
6) obviously drinks
Basically, that’s all.
So even if you come with money, you won’t be able to spend it on something worthy.

LADIES:
Even though some of the ladies will redeploy, have fun and make friends with them irrespective of your look because you won’t be seeing 97% of them again once you’re posted to your PPA.

OUTFIT
The outfit you will be given won’t be your size so you can just change it with other corp members having your SIZE or you go to Store room (one big building opposite the health centre) after 3 days.

HEALTH!
Please, bring enough paracetamol, procold and malaria drug, use panadol anytime you have fever because the soldiers and camp officials will never believe you’re sick when you’re sick, they will think you’re pretending and using that as an excuse not to go for parades and Lectures.
I was almost dying one day and not even the soldiers and staff believed i was sick, they legitly said “we understand this tactic and it won’t work on us, now go to the parade ground”

ACTIVITIES
Join the activities not because you want something out of it but to create memories, your platoon winning won’t affect you in any way, only those representing you will enjoy the benefit.

PART 2

Bros, you no see Nwanyi 'Imo buka go chop better food there? Na wa to you oh. Be like you be batch B stream 1. I do agree the suya in camp is trash sha. The other thing I enjoyed was fruit salad.

Luckily for me, I was posted to Nasarawa LGA. My PPA is N30 from my home. And no, I didn't lobby for it. Na God's grace kawai.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Lightened: 11:51am On Feb 04, 2022
If God could help you and you are posted to any of these places: Sabon Gari, Taurani, Nassarawa and Gwale. You will enjoy your stay, although things might be quite expensive there cos those places are Kano metropolis. I served in Kano 2017/2018 and I can tell you, it was a nice place to be, I don't see any difference between Sabon Gari and Lagos state, I mean, the civilization was overwhelming compared to what I was fed with before I left Lagos then, there are cinemas, supermarkets, churches, joints, malls and even zoo in their cities. Also, I can categorically say that Kano is the business hub for all other northern states, it's a no man's land, you can do a lot of businesses there and make it big time. The main idea is for you to know what you are doing and never pass your boundary.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Marimart: 3:58pm On Feb 04, 2022
Lightened:
If God could help you and you are posted to any of these places: Sabon Gari, Taurani, Nassarawa and Gwale. You will enjoy your stay, although things might be quite expensive there cos those places are Kano metropolis. I served in Kano 2017/2018 and I can tell you, it was a nice place to be, I don't see any difference between Sabon Gari and Lagos state, I mean, the civilization was overwhelming compared to what I was fed with before I left Lagos then, there are cinemas, supermarkets, churches, joints, malls and even zoo in their cities. Also, I can categorically say that Kano is the business hub for all other northern states, it's a no man's land, you can do a lot of businesses there and make it big time. The main idea is for you to know what you are doing and never pass your boundary.
Nice one but how about wudil area ,is it nice to stay as a foreigner?
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Lightened: 4:39pm On Feb 04, 2022
Wudil is not that foreigner friendly, moreover you won't find all those spotlights there. The area is highly indegineous concentrated, but then it doesn't mean a foreigner can't live there, you just have to be very careful, concentrate and focus on what took you there.
Marimart:

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 7:56pm On Feb 07, 2022
Marimart:

Yes! Wudil is big and it is okay

I stay around Wudil and i do visit wudil to buy frozen chicken
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2022
Lightened:
Wudil is not that foreigner friendly, moreover you won't find all those spotlights there. The area is highly indegineous concentrated, but then it doesn't mean a foreigner can't live there, you just have to be very careful, concentrate and focus on what took you there.
It is kinda foreigner friendly but he shouldn't expect to see bars, clubs, restaurants.
Social life is zero in wudil

1 Like

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by lacasera14(m): 9:16pm On Feb 07, 2022
I'll advice y'all to take everything the op is saying with a pinch of salt. I served in Kano 2020 during the pandemic, Dambatta Local Government, 1hr 30mins away from the city. Camp was fun even tho I barley had it. The village was peaceful, food was cheap, transport was cheap, life was cheap, free accomodations, to watch match was just N20, charge phone N20, go to the city every weekend to unwind in Sabon Gari and at Christ Embassy or Winners Chapel lodge. If na babes you want, your fellow corpers plenty wey you fit knack if you want. Corpers lodge is always free, no dull moment. We moved in groups and everyone in the village knows us. They respect us and treat us nicely. Even in the school. No violence whatsoever.

But Sha prepare for extreme heat, extreme cold, no alcohol, no betting shop, no fine girls to toast, you'll only see people wearing long gowns, no fashion sense. It's just for one year, you won't die. And you can always come to the city which is more developed than most Southern cities.

One year to see the other side of life and appreciate diversity. Some of you are too local you don't know travel is part of education. Even Bill Gate's wife came to Africa to assist. Nothing you get you de form. Abegi. Kano Rocks my people.

1 Like

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 6:53am On Feb 16, 2022
lacasera14:
I'll advice y'all to take everything the op is saying with a pinch of salt. I served in Kano 2020 during the pandemic, Dambatta Local Government, 1hr 30mins away from the city. Camp was fun even tho I barley had it. The village was peaceful, food was cheap, transport was cheap, life was cheap, free accomodations, to watch match was just N20, charge phone N20, go to the city every weekend to unwind in Sabon Gari and at Christ Embassy or Winners Chapel lodge. If na babes you want, your fellow corpers plenty wey you fit knack if you want. Corpers lodge is always free, no dull moment. We moved in groups and everyone in the village knows us. They respect us and treat us nicely. Even in the school. No violence whatsoever.

But Sha prepare for extreme heat, extreme cold, no alcohol, no betting shop, no fine girls to toast, you'll only see people wearing long gowns, no fashion sense. It's just for one year, you won't die. And you can always come to the city which is more developed than most Southern cities.

One year to see the other side of life and appreciate diversity. Some of you are too local you don't know travel is part of education. Even Bill Gate's wife came to Africa to assist. Nothing you get you de form. Abegi. Kano Rocks my people.
You're right on the above, 100%

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Truth About The NYSC 2018 Batch A Call Up Letter / NYSC A16 Check Your Name / What You Need To Know About Nysc...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.