Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member (5362 Views)

Buhari Approves Removal Of Mohammed Fadah A NYSC DG Over ‘Incompetence’ / My Experience As A Nasarawa/Lagos Ex-Corper. (19C) / My Experience As A Corp Member In Kebbi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 7:57am On Aug 21, 2021
Before you start reading this kindly make sure you work your relocation before the next orientation or during the orientation because everything you will be told about kano during the orientation are all lies.

I will be brief with this, I sincerely wished I listened to MRPHYSICS kano experience but the little argument with kano indigenes on his thread made me feel he was probably exaggerating but i can confirm authoritatively that man was even “undergerating”

I was posted to kano and even though i was sad i embraced it with a pure mind since Kano is still part of Nigeria, alas! I was wrong.

The transport fare to Kano almost wiped out my incoming flag (First red flag I ignored)
Things needed when coming to orientation camp
1)Documents including your school id required on your callup letter (Make just 3 photocopies)
2)Snap at least 10passports
3)Bring Mosquito net when coming
4) Lol, don’t but stapler and co, someone will definitely have it.

You can get the rest item on camp, I brought everything only to discover that all these could be gotten on camp at almost the same price sef.

Part 1

5 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by socialmediaman: 8:03am On Aug 21, 2021
If Kano and Kaduna were not rid with religious extremism and violence, they could’ve been as developed as Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 8:13am On Aug 21, 2021
Life at the orientation camp.

Charging
Waking up unfailingly is by 5am daily and you will participate in all the parades and charging is not possible in the room so you will have to charge at mami market for 50naira, i advice you bring at least 1 power bank.

Bathing.
You’re not at home so the bathroom is purely nothing to write home about, there’s a big hostel for the guys and that’s where the better bathroom is, you also need to buy your own bucket if you do not like borrowing from people (600naira on campus)
You can also pay between 50naira to bath at mammy market.

FEEDING
This is another warning signal I ignored, you will be fed 3times daily with most of the food including TUWO Masara, shinkafa, beans, pap and few days with rice but you can hardly get any good food to buy at the maami market, the following are the food being sold at the mammy market
1)Sharwarma (Very trash)
2)Coloured, tasteless rice called Jollof rice
3) Fried potatoes,yam and akara
4) Meshai seller (hausa selling indomie, egg,bread ) constituent the rest.
5)SUYA: the suya you will be eating in Kano is different and thrasher than what you’ve been eating in the south.
6) obviously drinks
Basically, that’s all.
So even if you come with money, you won’t be able to spend it on something worthy.

LADIES:
Even though some of the ladies will redeploy, have fun and make friends with them irrespective of your look because you won’t be seeing 97% of them again once you’re posted to your PPA.

OUTFIT
The outfit you will be given won’t be your size so you can just change it with other corp members having your SIZE or you go to Store room (one big building opposite the health centre) after 3 days.

HEALTH!
Please, bring enough paracetamol, procold and malaria drug, use panadol anytime you have fever because the soldiers and camp officials will never believe you’re sick when you’re sick, they will think you’re pretending and using that as an excuse not to go for parades and Lectures.
I was almost dying one day and not even the soldiers and staff believed i was sick, they legitly said “we understand this tactic and it won’t work on us, now go to the parade ground”

ACTIVITIES
Join the activities not because you want something out of it but to create memories, your platoon winning won’t affect you in any way, only those representing you will enjoy the benefit.

PART 2

3 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 8:15am On Aug 21, 2021
socialmediaman:
If Kano and Kaduna were not rid with religious extremism and violence, they could’ve been as developed as Lagos
Brother, I regret not relocating daily! Social media and speech at the orientation camp fooled me.

These guys are still in the 70s, they’re backward, they probably developed the main cities to fool outsiders

4 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 8:17am On Aug 21, 2021
Fun fact.

If you mistakenly stay in Kano, the next time you will be talking to a lady would be after your service year.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 8:45am On Aug 21, 2021
Orientation.
This is where most of you will miss it, i am trying to keep this thread short.

The orientation is very convincing and everything will be directed towards convincing you how Kano is the best thing after slice bread and how you can always reach them incase of any problem and how you can do business and how KANO is the next after LAGOS and co! Many lies! Bro, sis, even during the orientation, do not be like thousands of us serving presently in kano, WE SERVED OUTTA LOYALTY for KANO based on what we heard at the orientation camp but reverse was the case.

1) The State coordinators and Nysc officials will never tell you how thousands of Corpers (that can’t even speak out due to fear of prosecution) are suffering in their various villages.

2)90% of corpers will be posted to remote local government and kano local government can’t be in anyway compared to south south local government, villages in south south will beat these Local government hands down and the 10% that would be posted to cities are those with connections, kano corpers (mostly), those who served as Excos during orientation and those who lobbied (those wey dey do eye service for camp)

The reason most people stayed was because they felt they would be posted to city and if not city, the local government would make sense but let me burst your bubble, the distance between these local government to cities is like 3hrs-4hrs

The local government lodge are mostly buildings that not fit for human accommodation, leaking buildings with flood prone (words can’t explain this).

Corpers felt love during orientation camp but the moment you leave CAMP as against what you will be Told, you will be abandoned totally in a state you can’t speak their language, eat their food or live their lifestyle without a proper security team to watch over you.

Bandits could even easily walk in to any Corper’s lodge here and kidnap corpers Smooth without anybody noticing they’ve gone for weeks, That’s how isolated and abandoned corpers in Kano are.

No compensation plan from NYSC state government?
No payment on state level
No payment on local government level but they USE CORPERS as FULL STAFFS in all their parastatals, WHY??

During the orientation, we were told we can’t complain until we complained to the LGI and The LGI will complain to the Zonalinspector and the zonal inspector will complain to thr state coordinator but they never told you your complaints will never leave the LGI table, now if LGI refuses to handle your case? How will it get to the top?

Those are the policies they’ve put in place! Once you see kano on your dashboard, RELOCATE

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 8:51am On Aug 21, 2021
This post might not get more engagement but I sincerely hope someone posted to kano will take this and make the right choice.

SAED program (entrepreneurship) will be organized and most of it would be excorpers who stayed back in kano and became successful (another tactic to hold you down)

What those people won’t tell you is they get support from NYSC to keep coming every batch to tell corpers how they become successful in kano in a business NYSC supported them to be.

Don’t be fooled, their are pro of staying in kano but the cons will affect your mental health.

There’s a difference in coming to kano willingly, staying in your city of choice and you being picked and posted to a place you have zero idea of (they intentionally tell you your PPA on the departure day) while they use your as slave

4 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 9:04am On Aug 21, 2021
KANO WELFARE

Everything Mrphysics mentioned here is nothing but the truth
https://www.nairaland.com/3139817/nysc-experience-kano-state

If you’re part or the lucky 10% posted to Sabon Gari, you have no problem but if you’re part of the rest lmao, just read the above thread and brace up.

1)Religion extremists
2)Food Shock, they have no food and they’re unhygienic with their food production so you will have to because a full time cook yourself unless you want to live on bread and water
3)Communication barrier, they don’t speak english at all
4)No alcohol
5)No fastfood (those posted away from cities)
6)Forget ladies because you will hardly see their gurls sef and the once you see are already engaged, you can’t even walk up to them because their men will spot you and that’s you being on their bad book.
7)The heat is MADDDDDDDDDDDD with sharp dusts blowing everywhere and Body having cracks
cool The cold will kill you even in the afternoon.

Any good thing in Kano? The good things in kano atr those things you considered irrelevant or norms back home.

Shout out to every corper serving in Kano away from the cities, May the GOOD GOD keep being with you.

Even though you’ve been abandoned, may God keep coming through for you.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 9:08am On Aug 21, 2021
GRANTS on camp

Before coming to camp, make sure you’ve drafted a standard business proposal (this is very important), no harm in drafting one in a standard way, you can even employ the service of a professional.

UNITY will come (even though platoon commanders do make this lowkey) go to your platoon commanders (don’t be shy because they’re useless to you after the 3weeks) and tell him humbly but firmly that you want to partake in the unity business grant, Submit your paperwork.

ACCESS BANk, do the same for access bank and you will be sure to get a grant of between 100k to 2M

Do the above even if na for Fun, nobody told me this (even though i do not need the money)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Unigrad: 9:12am On Aug 21, 2021
I served in one of the northerner states, I understand fully what the op is saying. After my service year, I began to ask myself, north and south are not supposed to be in same country because there are a lot of difference.
A village in the south is far better than their local government headquarters.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 9:15am On Aug 21, 2021
Words can’t qualify what those corpers are passing through especially those of us embracing compulsory celibacy ; ladies no dey, alcohol no dey, wey no fit mingle with the youth, our guards are always up, Nysc abandoned us, no speeddial, we are hours away from the nearest civilization, you can’t be hungry and buy a fastfood, PPA intentionally using you as a Staff to avoid paying you, corpers lodge like prison yard, everybody looking at you like a target, even the inspectors not being nice to you since you’re not hausa, many more.

I don’t care what your reasons are, you will be disappointed beyond redemption but relocation is easy on camp before leaving.

If you’re staying, make sure you’re sure already that yoh will be posted to the CITY with standard accommodation.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2021
Unigrad:
I served in one of the northerner states, I understand fully what the op is saying. After my service year, I began to ask myself, north and south are not supposed to be in same country because there are a lot of difference.
A village in the south is far better than their local government headquarters.
Bro, The north is way behind and their elites kept it so

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Unigrad: 9:21am On Aug 21, 2021
Born2conquer:

Bro, The north is way behind and their elites kept it so
That so bad.
Their level of education is nothing to write home about.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 9:22am On Aug 21, 2021
Drops my pen.

May God be with you all

I have money but my money is valueless in this place, i have never felt so useless as a man with money.

I stare at my wallet filled with money daily without anything to buy with it.

Relocate

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Unigrad: 9:24am On Aug 21, 2021
Born2conquer:
Drops my pen.

May God be with you all

I have money but my money is valueless in this place, i have never felt so useless as a man with money.

Transfer the money to my account to help you use then here.
You didn't State, some local government don't have a bank or ATM machine, you have to travel to the local government that have bank to transact

Relocate
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by bnovative(m): 10:25am On Aug 21, 2021
I served in Kano state, Gabasawa local government in 2006 to be precise. The village was zakirai. At the time karaye camp was about being completed and it was one of the most beautiful camps in Nigeria. I understand story but if you look beyond your frustration, it will help your mental health.
The cost leaving in the village was cheap.
Go to sabon gari to unwind during weekends
Watch Spanish league with the locals in their viewing center.
Get a female coper and catch your fun
Avoid talking to any yarinya because u could be killed.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Asquare84(m): 10:38am On Aug 21, 2021
Why did you not share with us the particular local government your currently serving in kano state. Yeah I serve in kano State,rogo local government to be precise, I mean rogo local government is still far behind karaye local government where the nysc orientation camp is located. Agreed civilization is far from the rural areas and there's alot of language barriers. But life itself is another experience on it own. You have a story to tell.

1 Like

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Asquare84(m): 10:41am On Aug 21, 2021
The best you could do is to search for nccf family lodge and rccf family lodge, accomodations in this corper facility is free you can go there and stay and have fun with your fellow corp members.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by siofra(f): 10:51am On Aug 21, 2021
Please kwantinue I was planning to go to Kano. I'm having a rethink, maybe Joe is better.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by davosky304: 11:12am On Aug 21, 2021
Op, sorry about your ordeal... I served in kano too...about 5 or 6 years ago but relocated after 3months to a southwest state... Tho the food thing in the mammy market was great and I enjoyed it too... Cos it was quite cheap and the food was very okay... I don't know of now cos of the inflation rate

I never ate from the nysc kitchen.. Except once or twice which I didn't really liked cos am not used to that kind of food.

Yes, in kano camp they will try selling u d state.. That it's good. Well I will be honest, Kano state is good but that is if you are posted to one of the major cities.

I was at staying at Sabon Gari while working in another local govt nearby. Well, I enjoyed my time there cos of the clubs, bar, hotel, even strippers club and I had choice of the food I wanted...
Ibo kitchen, yoruba kitchen, Akwa Ibom and so on..

I even do go the malls at kano Municipal, cinemas and so on.
The food in kano was relatively cheap and affordable compared to lagos. House rent in the kano cities was still on the high side.

For ladies to date, yes u are right sha... Tho I didn't really mind cos I had a babe at kaduna so she always came visiting

So kano state.. if you are posted to one of the major cities its good, u will surely enjoy it, aside that I don't really know

I later relocated because I had other plans and I was not too comfortable with the weather.

So for kano if u can work your nysc ppa posting to the city or urban areas, better for u... The other towns and villages... I don't know.

But my experience there is something I loved, and Glad I visited another part of the country

3 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 12:14pm On Aug 21, 2021
bnovative:
I served in Kano state, Gabasawa local government in 2006 to be precise. The village was zakirai. At the time karaye camp was about being completed and it was one of the most beautiful camps in Nigeria. I understand story but if you look beyond your frustration, it will help your mental health.
The cost leaving in the village was cheap.
Go to sabon gari to unwind during weekends
Watch Spanish league with the locals in their viewing center.
Get a female coper and catch your fun
Avoid talking to any yarinya because u could be killed.
Excuses like this was the reason most stayed back
1)Cost of living is cheap because nothing is available, what’s the purpose of money if you can’t but what you want?

2)Sabon gari to most villages is about 3 to 4hrs journey, e worth the stress?

3)yes

4) if you’re lucky, if the number of female corpers is equal to the male corpers

Why do all these when you can just relocate jejely to a better state where you will enjoy all these without breaking a sweat
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 12:16pm On Aug 21, 2021
Asquare84:
Why did you not share with us the particular local government your currently serving in kano state. Yeah I serve in kano State,rogo local government to be precise, I mean rogo local government is still far behind karaye local government where the nysc orientation camp is located. Agreed civilization is far from the rural areas and there's alot of language barriers. But life itself is another experience on it own. You have a story to tell.
Speaking on behalf of everybody, I intentionally left the local government out because i know what these nysc officials can do.

They will rather bully the reporter than solve the problem

1 Like

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Born2conquer: 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2021
davosky304:
Op, sorry about your ordeal... I served in kano too...about 5 or 6 years ago but relocated after 3months to a southwest state... Tho the food thing in the mammy market was great and I enjoyed it too... Cos it was quite cheap and the food was very okay... I don't know of now cos of the inflation rate

I never ate from the nysc kitchen.. Except once or twice which I didn't really liked cos am not used to that kind of food.

Yes, in kano camp they will try selling u d state.. That it's good. Well I will be honest, Kano state is good but that is if you are posted to one of the major cities.

I was at staying at Sabon Gari while working in another local govt nearby. Well, I enjoyed my time there cos of the clubs, bar, hotel, even strippers club and I had choice of the food I wanted...
Ibo kitchen, yoruba kitchen, Akwa Ibom and so on..

I even do go the malls at kano Municipal, cinemas and so on.
The food in kano was relatively cheap and affordable compared to lagos. House rent in the kano cities was still on the high side.

For ladies to date, yes u are right sha... Tho I didn't really mind cos I had a babe at kaduna so she always came visiting

So kano state.. if you are posted to one of the major cities its good, u will surely enjoy it, aside that I don't really know

I later relocated because I had other plans and I was not too comfortable with the weather.

So for kano if u can work your nysc ppa posting to the city or urban areas, better for u... The other towns and villages... I don't know.

But my experience there is something I loved, and Glad I visited another part of the country
Follow this advice too, if you can work your PPA please do

Do not leave your posting to chance

1 Like

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Luizkid(m): 2:33pm On Aug 21, 2021
Camped in Karaye, 13C. Camp was fun, never had the plans to relocate but when I accompanied a friend to go fill his relocation request, I just felt I should give it a try and alas it came out and I got one of the best place to serve as at that time, Enugu (God bless Sullivan Chime). I saw pixs of my close friend who stayed back in Kano, the weather is just not friendly, the guy was toasted black by Kano sun and am happy I left.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Whois(m): 10:04pm On Aug 21, 2021
Nysc service year is am "individual" thing
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by lavylilly: 7:54am On Aug 22, 2021
While you serving invest in cryptocurrency
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Hahjascho(m): 1:47pm On Aug 22, 2021
Lol...the language barrier is the main issue.
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by EmmaxKeys: 2:11am On Aug 23, 2021
lavylilly:
While you serving invest in cryptocurrency

And you will cry.

See as this one just open mouth waaaah

2 Likes

Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by TheZebra: 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2021
socialmediaman:
Stop lying to people, kaduna is not like Kano, kaduna is a radical state, even in core Muslim areas, everything is normal. Kano is just a different place entirely, don't mention it with kaduna
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Marimart: 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2021
Born2conquer:
Drops my pen.

May God be with you all

But they said Sabin gari is not like that na
Relocate
Re: Kano Experience As A Nysc Corp Member by Zagee: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2021
If not for my likeness for wildlife and adventure, I shouldn't have been found where I was placed in Niger State.

And I think NYSC up north is just "wildlifing". The problem is that they( Officials) don't even consider your welfare that much.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

LEARN THIS SKILL, YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. / Nassarawa Batch A 2015, Lets Meet Here / I Need Help About My Trip To Katsina For Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.