Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,366 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees (23415 Views)

Woman Mortified After Discovering 10 Creepy Hidden Cameras At Her Airbnb / The Banner On A Ship Carrying Jewish Refugees To Palestine In 1947 / 2 UK Police Officers Caught Kissing In Patrol Car For 20 Minutes (2) (3) (4)

Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by NwaNimo1(m): 11:26pm On Aug 24, 2021
Online accommodation platform Airbnb has said it will temporarily house 20,000 Afghan refugees at no charge to help them resettle across the world.

The company's boss said the move was in response to "one of the biggest humanitarian crises of our time".

He said the firm felt a responsibility to step up.

Chief executive Brian Chesky added: "I hope this inspires other business leaders to do the same. There's no time to waste."

"As tens of thousands of Afghan refugees resettle around the world, where they stay will be the first chapter in their new lives. For these 20,000 refugees, my hope is that the Airbnb community will provide them with not only a safe place to rest and start over, but also a warm welcome home," he said.

The offer starts immediately and the company said it was working with non-governmental organisations "on the ground" to help with the most pressing needs.

It has not specified how much the company plans to spend on the initiative or how long refugees will be housed for.

But it said it would collaborate with resettlement agencies and partners "to go where the need goes" and evolve the initiative and its support as necessary.

"Starting today, Airbnb will begin housing 20,000 Afghan refugees globally for free," Mr Chesky tweeted on Tuesday.

"While we will be paying for these stays, we could not do this without the generosity of our hosts."

The company said the cost of the stays would be funded through contributions from Airbnb and Mr Chesky, as well as donors to the Airbnb.org Refugee Fund.

He said: "The displacement and resettlement of Afghan refugees in the US and elsewhere is one of the biggest humanitarian crises of our time."

Airbnb said it would release more details soon about how people might help.

The company said: "We know that Airbnb hosts and guests around the world will be eager to stand up and assist this massive effort - and in the coming days, Airbnb and Airbnb.org plan to share details on how hosts and the broader community can support this initiative."

Property owners who host Airbnb locations have long been encouraged to donate stays at their homes for "people in crisis".

The scheme began in response to Hurricane Sandy in 2012, when more than 1,000 people needed emergency accommodation after New York city was hit.

Since then, it claims to have helped more than 75,000 people.

The company launched its Open Homes initiative in 2017 to allow its host community to offer their homes for free to people hit by disasters or fleeing conflict.

The initiative has since offered free stays to people affected by the Mexico City earthquake, Californian wildfires, Australian bushfires and other disasters.

It also led to the company setting up its own independent non-profit, Airbnb.org, to focus on helping people share housing and resources with each other in times of crisis.

Last week, it gave emergency funding and support to the International Rescue Committee, HIAS and Church World Service to provide temporary stays for up to 1,000 arriving Afghan refugees.

During the last weekend, it placed 165 refugees in safe housing shortly after touching down in the US.

"Accessible housing is urgently needed and essential," said David Miliband, president of the International Rescue Committee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58315378

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by yanabasee2: 1:18am On Aug 25, 2021
I hope Airbnb will do same to Nigerians when BokoHaram/Bandits/UGM/Fulani finally take over Nigeria....

Because I for like make my accomodations deh for DC..... cool

105 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Aidejay(m): 5:44am On Aug 25, 2021
Leave it to big businesses to find a way to milk every situation.

Uber created to substitute cabs and taxis - goes on to charge more than them

Airbnb created to substitute hotels - goes on to become more expensive than them too.

On the other hand there those that do and those that say they do. Examples of doers.
https://www.nairaland.com/6717645/wizkids-made-lagos-hits-no

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by expertman(m): 5:44am On Aug 25, 2021
Oooin I just do not understand this people of Afghanistan.

Thought they made a collective decision to let Tallibans Rule them so why running away from what they want?

47 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by vicfajeze: 5:45am On Aug 25, 2021
modern day slavery at work

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by King2019(m): 5:45am On Aug 25, 2021
This world is just smh
Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 5:45am On Aug 25, 2021
it can only be Christians.
showing Christ love to humanity even to the people that despises them and call them infidels.
just like Christ showered his love to everyone.
but you'll see bastard nairaland Islamic terrorists bringing old testament like if Christians follow it judiciously like they claim there will be any refugees.

if you're Muslim and after seeing these kind gestures by so called infidels and still hit your head on ground and shout allah akubomb, then you're nothing but a bastard terrorist.
I wonder why someone that call himself educated will be practicing something against humanity
something against science
something against civilization
something against education

Islam is nothing but a mighty plague against humanity
flee from it NOW

150 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Bcock3030(m): 5:45am On Aug 25, 2021
Let's be our brothers keeper

I just wish you can get one bottle, I assure you within 2weeks using this product you will definitely see improvement. You are just a phone call away from permanent solution.
Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by mercyib(m): 5:45am On Aug 25, 2021
Imagine 20,000 9ja staying together in a place.

What do you think will happen

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by tony0806: 5:46am On Aug 25, 2021
Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by GhettoBwoy: 5:47am On Aug 25, 2021
Client wey suppose pay today Don go get accident day before yesterday cry
Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by morikee: 5:47am On Aug 25, 2021
Nice gesture givers never lack

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Godada(m): 5:47am On Aug 25, 2021

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by fasho01(m): 5:50am On Aug 25, 2021
Such news gives me hope and optimism about humanity.. A very good one from Airbnb
Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by EdiskyHarry: 5:51am On Aug 25, 2021
Nice one,
Islamic religion is a true definition of anything bad. I wonder why people will be causing misery to their fellow human beings because of religion

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by FarahAideed: 5:51am On Aug 25, 2021
20 thousand Seeds of Islam

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Razzness(m): 5:51am On Aug 25, 2021
So for Taliban mind na God work dem dey do. Chai see how them just turn a whole country to refugees....

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Fiscabally(m): 5:52am On Aug 25, 2021
Spread Love and Heal the world

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Edusouls(m): 5:53am On Aug 25, 2021
Hmmm the world is on the highway to disaster in 20years to come earth would almost be a wasteland, thanks to the so much intelligent rule and activities of humans the results are coming out..

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by humilitypays(m): 5:54am On Aug 25, 2021
AsampeteNwaanyi:
showing Christ love to humanity even to the people that despises them and call them infidels.
but you'll see bastard nairaland Islamic terrorists bringing old testament like if Christians follow it judiciously like they claim there will be any refugees.

if you're Muslim and after seeing these kind gestures by so called infidels and still hit your head on ground and shout allah akubomb, then you're nothing but a bastard terrorist.
I wonder why someone that call himself educated will be practicing something against humanity

flee from it NOW
Preach it!

No Islamic country anywhere in the world accept refugees or have asylum program for displaced people or people whose life are under threat, very wicked religion.

Because they believe they have oil wealth and don't want any other national to join them to share the wealth, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Kuwait, etc don't have any program for visitors to their countries to become citizens or even permanent resident. No matter how many years you live in their countries, they see you as allien who have no citizen right.

You give birth in their country you pay monthly fine for giving birth there just to discourage other nationals from coming to their countries to give birth.

Muslims are heartless, selfish and inhumane yet they run to Christian, Buddhist and Atheist countries to enjoy after using their wicked dangerous religious doctrines and practices to destroy their own communities.

It baffles me to see young educated people today still practice Islam, of what benefit is Islam to your life and to humanity if not wars, massacre, mob killing and attacks and archaic barbaric doctrines it brings.

Like my sister here said. Christianity is love. Christianity is not Judaism. Christianity is about living like Jesus Christ, spreading love which is what the new testament is all about.

If Christians practiced the Old testament, believe me, there won't be any Muslim alive today because Christian nations who are the world superpowers would have wiped out the whole Muslim countries and forced them to either convert or get wiped out but no we practice love and only want you Muslims to love the rest of the world but hell no.

A cartoon of Mohammed should cause you wicked souls to massacre innocent people in Kano and other cities in the world yet you are proud to be called a Muslim.

If you like draw Jesus cartoon, e no concern me or any Christian anywhere in the world, the judgment is between you and God not our fight to fight okay.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by fnep2smooth(m): 5:54am On Aug 25, 2021
See good news for Afghan people... Easy way to japa
Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Tdotbluejays: 5:54am On Aug 25, 2021
Good for them.

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Edusouls(m): 5:57am On Aug 25, 2021
My brother I tell you, after they settle in the near future you would start seeing their demonic seeds spreading on Christian lands, problem in the future is far bigger than what is here now..
FarahAideed:
20 thousand Seeds of Islam

18 Likes

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by dingbang(m): 5:57am On Aug 25, 2021
Me i have house oo.. I will also accomodate one afghanistan girl too.. Fine one. Reach out to me if you are an afghan lady. kiss

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Futurecrown(m): 6:00am On Aug 25, 2021
AsampeteNwaanyi:

flee from it NOW
May God forgive you..

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by prizeless(m): 6:01am On Aug 25, 2021
They should better be careful of the aftermath

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by prizeless(m): 6:03am On Aug 25, 2021
They should better be careful of the aftermath. This might actually be a planned out ploy

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by theophorus(m): 6:05am On Aug 25, 2021
Why won't The UAE take some refugees? Abi Mecca nko?

Re: Afghanistan: Airbnb Offers Free Accommodation For 20,000 Refugees by Nobody: 6:05am On Aug 25, 2021
Why not help these refugees out and then bomb everything remaining in Afghanistan

Russia Says It Is Ready To Cut Ties With The European Union / Senegal To Host Gambia’s President-elect Until Swearing-in / Donald Trump's Entire Legal Team Quits A Week Before Impeachment Trial

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50