Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179395 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2021
AirBay:

Baba share some chinchin for boys grin

No vex, just manage this one ........ Share am, make e circulate o ........ grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 11:07am On Dec 05, 2021
Lexusgs430:

No vex, just manage this one ........ Share am, make e circulate o ........ grin

Bro, pls help. I am new in the Uk. I have a Binance account from Naija. Which bank is easy to link up my account with here in UK. I have a monzo account. What’s the process like ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:10am On Dec 05, 2021
Domistic:

Bro, pls help. I am new in the Uk. I have a Binance account from Naija. Which bank is easy to link up my account with here in UK. I have a monzo account. What’s the process like ?

Monzo would not work with binance, likewise starling and revolut..........

I used my etoro account on Binance, that's the only one that worked.......

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:26am On Dec 05, 2021
na that 10k i go like win

got 75 so far

Lexusgs430:
Just won £25.00 on PayPal draw ........

Time to go splash out ......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 11:34am On Dec 05, 2021
marylandcakes:

If the guest can do all these things then they can certainly get their own place and their dignity intact.

Get their own place but struggle to pay tuition. That's the angle I am coming from. Do we have to let our family and friends suffer when we are in the position to help?

Edit: I just read your other posts and I see that you are speaking from the hurt of past experience(s). What strikes me from your stand on this issue is what I have come to see might be the problem with Nigerian hosts, such as mine (story for another day)

You complain on one hand about "entitled" guests and here you are with a reportedly well behaved one, but your reaction is that the person should move out, thus defeating the purpose of seeking accommodation with you in the first place. Meaning you are not in support of helping regardless of how the guest conduct themselves. Hian!

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 11:38am On Dec 05, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

You gave the cause and the solution in the same sentence.
You and your dependant saved on rent, utilities, possibly food, etc. and so you were able to make up your tuition.
For those who have to pay all those things from 20 hours a week income, your second assertion is still generally true.

We saved only on rent which is actually the culprit. I bought groceries and chose a utility I paid throughout my stay, even continued to pay for a couple of months after I moved out.

I am proof that you can make up a sizeable amount of your tuition if you don't have to pay rent. So, if you are lucky to find someone to accommodate you, don't ruin it! Suck up to them, don't react or complain about their hostility, don't even acknowledge it and manage them so they don't change their mind and send you packing in the middle of winter grin

My point is that guests and hosts should be able to work around minimising/tolerating inconvenience. Guests especially need to be considerate and read the room. These UK people don't want you in their space, so you have to behave yourself and be a gracious guest till you can get on your feet. My 2 cents

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 11:38am On Dec 05, 2021
hustla:

Booked for the quarantine stuff or ticket
Ticket. Even the quarantine hotel next available date is on the 13th so I have to reschedule my flight.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Folabifreeman(m): 11:55am On Dec 05, 2021
Asides UBA....

Which bank Processes form A within 48-72Hrs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:00pm On Dec 05, 2021
inphoenix:

We saved only on rent which is actually the culprit. I bought groceries and chose a utility I paid throughout my stay, even continued to pay for a couple of months after I moved out.

I am proof that you can make up a sizeable amount of your tuition if you don't have to pay rent. So, if you are lucky to find someone to accommodate you, don't ruin it! Suck up to them, don't react or complain about their hostility, don't even acknowledge it and manage them so they don't change their mind and send you packing in the middle of winter grin

My point is that guests and hosts should be able to work around minimising/tolerating inconvenience. Guests especially need to be considerate and read the room. These UK people don't want you in their space, so you have to behave yourself and be a gracious guest till you can get on your feet. My 2 cents

Truly if guest do behave themselves , it would encourage our people to go down this route of hosting but the ones who behave themselves and are appreciative are in the minority hence the root cause of the problem.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kukujajaja: 12:09pm On Dec 05, 2021
I think one of the reasons why we're not moving forward as a country, is just because we failed to support and love ourselves.
Over years, I have consistently observing lifestyles of minority communities in UK like Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladesh & few Chinese just to mention few. Most of these communities will bring their brothers from their various countries staying with them assisting them in selling their petty business on high streets.
I visited one of my Pakistani course mates during my undergraduate programs, to my astonished they were visually 6 people living in a single bedroom flat with happiness and show of love. An average Nigerians in UK have competitive mindsets, they always see friends and families as competitors. Let love reigns. Help if you can and say No if you can't.
Nature will always lifts those who are willing to give arms to fellow beings. To those bad wagons you'll all soon be Baba & iya London!
A word is enough for the wise!
inphoenix:

The part in bold! Our people talking about "inconvenience". It makes me sad that people justify this "phenomenon". Notice how most Nigerian success stories abroad touch on individuals, not much impact to community, whereas these Asians (and Jews as another case in point) control empires that benefit generations. We sit here and whine about inconvenience when we should be rallying and building ourselves up. Hian!

I lived with family together with my dependant while I was studying, it was not only inconvenient for our hosts, but for us as well, but the strategy was to adjust while keeping an eye on the end goal. This allowed me save on the cost of renting such that with my 20hr weekly income, I was able to make up my tuition conveniently, something we are made to believe is not possible.

I see a lot of foreign students especially suffering unnecessarily simply because their presence will be inconvenient to someone who is supposed to be family. Rather than work on regulating our behaviour and focus on a greater good... We all have our stories and experiences which I am by no means trying to discount, we just need to tell ourselves the truth and do better as a bloc

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 12:10pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Cut soap for your boys na cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
gistbite:

Ticket. Even the quarantine hotel next available date is on the 13th so I have to reschedule my flight.

Mehn I don’t even have the mind to check the quarantine hotel yet

Still waiting to hear from the sch and see what to do

Can you pay via bank transfer or it has to be bank card?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 12:27pm On Dec 05, 2021
hustla:

Mehn I don’t even have the mind to check the quarantine hotel yet

Still waiting to hear from the sch and see what to do

Can you pay via bank transfer or it has to be bank card?
I think card should be accepted
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by inphoenix: 12:37pm On Dec 05, 2021
Kukujajaja:
I think one of the reasons why we're not moving forward as a country, is just because we failed to support and love ourselves.
Over years, I have consistently observing lifestyles of minority communities in UK like Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladesh & few Chinese just to mention few. Most of these communities will bring their brothers from their various countries staying with them assisting them in selling their petty business on high streets.

I visited one of my Pakistani course mates during my undergraduate programs, to my astonished they were visually 6 people living in a single bedroom flat with happiness and show of love. An average Nigerians in UK have competitive mindsets, they always see friends and families as competitors. Let love reigns. Help if you can and say No if you can't.
Nature will always lifts those who are willing to give arms to fellow beings. To those bad wagons you'll all soon be Baba & iya London!

You hit the nail in the head! You need to see the twinkle in my host's eyes the day I told them I had saved £6000 towards my tuition. That was the day hostility started. But me? I just pretended I didn't see it and continued to play my part. I didn't even bother to involve anyone. No family member got to know, because I found out that raising concerns about hostile treatment would be termed "being entitled". I just sucked it all up and put all my efforts into maintaining a cordial relationship. It remains the hardest thing I've had to put up with in the decades I've spent on earth, but, na me know wetin I dey find.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 1:00pm On Dec 05, 2021
Can everyone please sign this petition?
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/588072

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2021
Healhtyliving:

Any need... the government will respond again with this

Public health has always been our number one priority and we will not risk throwing away our hard-won achievements which have only been possible through the work of the British people

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 1:21pm On Dec 05, 2021
Healhtyliving:

It will make no difference.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 1:34pm On Dec 05, 2021
So Nigerians in Nigeria are not competitive? They are even worse. You need to see how Nigeria is to know that the problem is just not about the Nigerians in the UK. Is it the Nigerians that will help you build invisible houses in Nigeria?

Can Nigerians serve the person they are staying with the way Pakistans serve themselves?

A family friend got a loan for a fellow Nigeria to pay for her PhD. Till today, she did not pay back 1p.

So the attitude is not just about the Nigerians in the UK.

Kukujajaja:

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Virginmoney and Nationwide are crypto friendly. Monzo would probably close the account if used on crypto exchanges @domistic

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 3:23pm On Dec 05, 2021
Agree it may make no difference. But there is no harm in trying.
TheGuyFromHR:

It will make no difference.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 3:41pm On Dec 05, 2021
wonlasewonimi:

Virginmoney and Nationwide are crypto friendly. Monzo would probably close the account if used on crypto exchanges @domistic
thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Domistic: 3:42pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lexusgs430:

thanks Boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:52pm On Dec 05, 2021
inphoenix:

You hit the nail in the head! You need to see the twinkle in my host's eyes the day I told them I had saved £6000 towards my tuition. That was the day hostility started. But me? I just pretended I didn't see it and continued to play my part. I didn't even bother to involve anyone. No family member got to know, because I found out that raising concerns about hostile treatment would be termed "being entitled". I just sucked it all up and put all my efforts into maintaining a cordial relationship. It remains the hardest thing I've had to put up with in the decades I've spent on earth, but, na me know wetin I dey find.

That twinkle, gon gon........ Is the issue........ grin

Monkey dey work, baboon dey save mindset ....... wink

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:21pm On Dec 05, 2021
Lexusgs430:

You got your cakes burnt, on maryland bridge......... cheesy

grin angry grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 5:25pm On Dec 05, 2021
“UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) will pause making decisions on visitor visa applications in all red list countries, including Nigeria, until travel restrictions are lifted.”

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by RennyKitty: 6:12pm On Dec 05, 2021
Toor , Lord take the wheel ooo
Mimzyy:
“UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) will pause making decisions on visitor visa applications in all red list countries, including Nigeria, until travel restrictions are lifted.”

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2021
daholiest:
Please how long did it take for them to respond to you

1 month

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Folabifreeman(m): 6:47pm On Dec 05, 2021
What if you have a family to stay with
Is quarantining in a hotel compulsory?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2021
Folabifreeman:
What if you have a family to stay with
Is quarantining in a hotel compulsory?

Yes it is compulsory
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by okposm: 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2021
marylandcakes:

When you try to help this people their mentality is that there’s plenty more where that came from. It’s sickening to be honest

Whatever the case is, let go. U have disowned and there are disowned. We all are different even though the default mood of a human is to be wicked. So because of these, not all of us can go the extra mile to be nice, we have to go out of our way to be nice. It takes something to be nice. You cannot keep talking about it if it is causing you pain. The use of words like "these people" is not needed now. Just focus on your area of strength and move on.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by okposm: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2021
inphoenix:

May God continue to help us. Lol.

Relatives can be funny. Was she expecting u to ask her for the money?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 8:36pm On Dec 05, 2021
TRAY2:

I am going to Nigeria from UK via emirates, then comeback via Virgin but as i no be UK national na.. i dey reason weda to enter UK through Ghana.
ok ohh good luck

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.