Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,479 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177571 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 1:05am On Dec 13, 2021
Thanks, in Scotland, tried applying on Glasgow.gov.uk website, unfortunately, no option for details of the dependent. Just name. I will keep calling them, hopefully they eventually pick.
Preshyi:
Our names are both on the tenancy agreement.
I tried calling but got no reasonable response but cos some insisted he was entitled to it, I went to the city council website and saw the option to apply online. While completing my details, I was asked to fill in the details of other occupants of the apartment and then a follow up question was if the occupant was my spouse/dependant. I then had to upload his Visa, Brp, passport data page to prove he is not a British citizen and not entitled to public funds. It took 2 months for us to get the certificate in our mail box but when I tried to follow up the response was cos they were very busy at the moment. Hope this helps.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 1:17am On Dec 13, 2021
Ralphlauren:

Just so you know, even visiting visa counts towards the 10year route to ILR

Really?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Egocen: 2:49am On Dec 13, 2021
ok thanks

justwise:

Not really, i started from undergraduate with 4yrs visa and you get 3yrs then for visa extension + PSW + masters
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 3:04am On Dec 13, 2021
Hello all, please a quick one for those who have successfully applied for ILR via Tier2/ work visa route. Do Tier2 dependants also need to satisfy the salary requirement when applying for ILR or this is solely for the main visa holder? I've been poring over relevant sections on the gov.uk website but all I've seen so far suggest the salary requirement is only for the main tier2 visa holder and kind of subjective for the dependant, it only says to ensure you can support yourself and the usual NRPF. Thanks for your anticipated responses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 3:25am On Dec 13, 2021
abubarakat:
I have used these recently: moneyfex.com, Lemonade, Kyshi, mamatakwas (a Nairalander on this thread)

They each have their pros and cons. Please review them carefully.

I use ohentpay cos their rates are good and they have very fast processing in less than a minute. I have done more than 10 transactions with them at speed of light. The first 2 or 3 transactions are free, but with subsequent transactions you pay 4.99 pounds for each transfer. Their limit per transfer is 1499 pounds per transaction, anything above that in a single transaction, you pay 1% as fees. I think it is a regulatory thing. Their rate today is 743 per pound

My link is below;
Sign up with this link to get your first transfer for free https://www.ohentpay.com/i/524C1D4AA2
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:02am On Dec 13, 2021
erico2k2:

This information is wrong, the onus is where the traveller has been for the last 10 days. If you was in a green zone the last 10/11 days B4 you enter the Uk, you are good.

That is a different case as i have stated in subsequent posts
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:43am On Dec 13, 2021
kingvilleshines:
@hustla
Please am also interested in the movement I have a dependent partner visa and would like to go to the uk from a green list country. I need the best route
Thanks

Please send a DM

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:44am On Dec 13, 2021
fatima04:

If the husband has got skilled worker sponsorship then the cheaper scenario will be for the wife to come as a dependent and save the student fees and pursue other professional route. And if its studying at the end then home fees can apply at some point.

Losing a job with sponsorship can throw someone/family into turmoil and lots of uncertainty but they won't just say pack your load and go on the next flight, always a chance to look for other jobs within 90days or so and the experience already gathered will go a long way to help.

Many Thanks for your input

Didn’t even know about the 90 day part
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:46am On Dec 13, 2021
ceyrahtlk:

Hello, I had same concern but from the response I got from here it seems having a ticket out of Turkey to wherever is sufficient.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:11am On Dec 13, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Sadly it simply isn't productive... it gives you absolutely no edge or entry into jobs so what the true value

Does the same apply to Master in public health and social work?

You said something about MPH earlier
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 7:49am On Dec 13, 2021
Seeing our OGAs remarks on MBA/HR and the likes not being productive, na to dey think of how to run a second master program in the UK be that ooo when I neva even start the MBA I got the Visa for….

Chai, wontigbemini handicap angry angry

Due diligence with good research is really important when planning to travel abroad as a student….

What a big dilemma grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Myati: 7:54am On Dec 13, 2021
careerwoman:

So invariably it means that someone can stay in a green list country for more than 10 days and be allowed to enter.

I think Justwise is making a case against visit visa and not people with residency status . The point is if you're on a visit visa you're banned from the country (no option to self isolate /pay 2300 quarantine fee) so your place of visa issue is put into consideration.

It's a different case for UK residents as they are not banned, they are allowed entry but just need to pay quarantine fees but as long as they have not been in a red list country in the last 10 days, they don't have to pay.

Modified
You might still be able to enter the country using a visit visa irrespective of place of issue as long as you've not been in a red list country in the last 10 days.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:06am On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Seeing our OGAs remarks on MBA/HR and the likes not being productive, na to dey think of how to run a second master program in the UK be that ooo when I neva even start the MBA I got the Visa for….

Due diligence with good research is really important when planning to travel abroad as a student….

International Business and Management follow dey this list too alongside MBA and HR stuff
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kingvilleshines: 8:10am On Dec 13, 2021
@ hustla please how can I dm you here can I add my WhatsApp number here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:11am On Dec 13, 2021
They are all in the same category.

I think I will need a very convincing PS whenever I want to switch a career on that second masters program…. I mean to a productive career….

But the grass is not always greener on the other side..
hustla:

International Business and Management follow dey this list too alongside MBA and HR stuff

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:15am On Dec 13, 2021
kingvilleshines:
@ hustla please how can I dm you here can I add my WhatsApp number here

Check your email
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:16am On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
They are all in the same category.

I think I will need a very convincing PS whenever I want to switch a career on that second masters program…. I mean to a productive career….

But the grass is not always greener on the other side..

There are some sides that the grass is almost always green or greener than others

How many years is your course?
wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:21am On Dec 13, 2021
A year program …

You have an advice or any opinion on this?? I would love to know ooo
hustla:

There are some sides that the grass is almost always green or greener than others

How many years is your course?
wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 9:19am On Dec 13, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Ok...thanks. although this story is totally different

How is it totally different?

Did you read the story at all ? The person was out of status for a while but the fact remains that he was granted ILR based on the fact that his time in the UK on a visit visa was counted.

Read the second link I posted. I don't have time for back and forth.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 9:25am On Dec 13, 2021
umarwy:

Huh?

How can you get continuous stay with visit visa?

Asking for a friend

You cannot get ILR based on just visting the UK in and out for 10 years. Its not possible. Remember that for ILR, you must not have been out of the country for more than 180 days and you must not have broken any immigration rules. Eg. Recourse to public funds, illegal worker, etc.

This option works best for those that have visited the UK prior to obtaining student visa and are using a combination of visas to attain 10 years. It also comes in handy for those that are few months short of attaining 10 years. They leave the country and apply for a priority visiting visa and return back to the UK.

I know people that have gotten ILR by adding visit visa as part of their 10 years continous stay, so I'm 100% sure this is possible.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kingvilleshines: 9:40am On Dec 13, 2021
@hustla sorry please send to this email the one on my profile not active
kay dot daniel234@gmail dot com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:00am On Dec 13, 2021
Ralphlauren:

How is it totally different?

Did you read the story at all ? The person was out of status for a while but the fact remains that he was granted ILR based on the fact that his time in the UK on a visit visa was counted.

Read the second link I posted. I don't have time for back and forth.

Based on the second link ... noted, thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 10:11am On Dec 13, 2021
Ralphlauren:

Read this too:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/10_years_long_residence_continuo?unfold=1#incoming-35828

Both links you posted are actually very informative.

1. If you leave UK after the end of a valid visa and come back before 6months with another valid visa.
The less than 6months of absence counts towards 10 years continuous stay.

2. Visit visa also counts towards the 10 years.
Now I am wondering if someone comes 5 months at a time and do so for 10 years will they be granted ILR??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ShalewaT: 10:46am On Dec 13, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Sadly it simply isn't productive... it gives you absolutely no edge or entry into jobs so what the true value
Would you recommend project management over it?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ShalewaT: 10:50am On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:

I got an admission to study MBA/Pgcert. It's a two year program. What I read on Google is that MBA is really productive in the UK, I'm surprised that it's a different opinion here angry

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bliss012: 10:52am On Dec 13, 2021
Please has anyone travelled successfully with dependents since Nigeria was red listed?? Was there any issues at point of entry? And which airline did you use please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 11:04am On Dec 13, 2021
Just to let you guys know that the red list could be scrapped before the new year.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 13, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 11:25am On Dec 13, 2021
umarwy:

Both links you posted are actually very informative.

1. If you leave UK after the end of a valid visa and come back before 6months with another valid visa.
The less than 6months of absence counts towards 10 years continuous stay.

2. Visit visa also counts towards the 10 years.
Now I am wondering if someone comes 5 months at a time and do so for 10 years will they be granted ILR??

Information is power. Like I said, this has been the case for years but a lot of people do not know this (Asians including Indians do though tongue). This option is used mostly by those that are a few days or months shy of clocking 10years continuous legal residence.

@bolded - it won't count. border control will also flag the person and there is the risk of deportation. Visiting and staying for 5months at a time over a 10 year period is a massive red flag. You can't justify spending 10months in a year as a "visitor" in a country over a 10 year period.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:43am On Dec 13, 2021
ShalewaT:

Would you recommend project management over it?

Pm, pmo and Business analyst have been quite popular in recent times with many roles but as it has become popular, loads of people flock there . So while there loads of jobs, paying good rate in the contract space... I don't know how hard or difficult it is to enter if you don't have UK work experience or relevant work experience so that just needs to be factored in. ..... I can't say for sure because its not my direct field although I work with PM and BA

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:08pm On Dec 13, 2021
ShalewaT:

I got an admission to study MBA/Pgcert. It's a two year program. What I read on Google is that MBA is really productive in the UK, I'm surprised that it's a different opinion here angry
MBA is good for career change and advancement but to get the most out of it, it has to be a decent MBA. Aim for the top MBAs in the UK and if you try hard you may get a job offer. For HR, no need for MBA, your BSc is sufficient or even A levels sef but coming from Nigeria, I understand using the student route.

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.