Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,176 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177388 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:27pm On Dec 13, 2021
umarwy:

Both links you posted are actually very informative.

1. If you leave UK after the end of a valid visa and come back before 6months with another valid visa.
The less than 6months of absence counts towards 10 years continuous stay.

2. Visit visa also counts towards the 10 years.
Now I am wondering if someone comes 5 months at a time and do so for 10 years will they be granted ILR??

That will not work, visiting and living in the UK are not the same.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 13, 2021
ShalewaT:

I got an admission to study MBA/Pgcert. It's a two year program. What I read on Google is that MBA is really productive in the UK, I'm surprised that it's a different opinion here angry

Most these professions depend on experiences. Sometimes one doesn't have to get a uk work experience before getting a job.

If you're changing career try and get an experience while you study.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Taiwolee1: 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2021
dustydee:

MBA is good for career change and advancement but to get the most out of it, it has to be a decent MBA. Aim for the top MBAs in the UK and if you try hard you may get a job offer. For HR, no need for MBA, your BSc is sufficient or even A levels sef but coming from Nigeria, I understand using the student route.

Pls is MBA gotten from University of Aberdeen a decent one because I plan doing mine there next year. I have 3years hands on experience in both hr and management general.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ShalewaT: 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2021
Aprokodaughter:

Most these professions depend on experiences. Sometimes one doesn't have to get a uk work experience before getting a job.

If you're changing career try and get an experience while you study.
Thank you. I worked as a Business Development Executive. I don't know if that will be enough to get a part time job in a related field in UK, while studying to get this MBA/Pgcert
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2021
ShalewaT:

Thank you. I worked as a Business Development Executive. I don't know if that will be enough to get a part time job in a related field in UK, while studying to get this MBA/Pgcert

There is no harm in trying. People told me I won't see job in my field. Towards the end of my studies I got a job. I had to work my CV, watch lots of youtube videos on how to answer interview questions.

Activated my linkedin job notifications. Realized most companies in my field use LinkedIn.

Before I forget there are lots of Business related jobs on LinkedIn from different companies.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Seeing our OGAs remarks on MBA/HR and the likes not being productive, na to dey think of how to run a second master program in the UK be that ooo when I neva even start the MBA I got the Visa for….

Chai, wontigbemini handicap angry angry

Due diligence with good research is really important when planning to travel abroad as a student….

What a big dilemma grin grin
Don't let that discourage you, you will probably be in the same shoe as other master's students. Leverage your school's career planning unit and get your CV in shape ASAP, start applying for jobs immediately. Over time, after seeing so many JDs, you will figure out the jobs that are really what you want and be able to tweak your CV accordingly.
Try get a part time role while in school. ( Also In your CV, don't be explicit about the work locations) Increase your job search tempo by the second half of your program, you will land something just like every other person.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 1:40pm On Dec 13, 2021
Ralphlauren:

How is it totally different?

Did you read the story at all ? The person was out of status for a while but the fact remains that he was granted ILR based on the fact that his time in the UK on a visit visa was counted.

Read the second link I posted. I don't have time for back and forth.
Wow!, interesting. Would this apply to both 5yr and 10yr route?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 2:02pm On Dec 13, 2021
Wow… this is very encouraging to me, my spirit has been lifted with this piece of advice and I just screenshoot it.

Thanks so much mizgene, I won’t forget this… All the informations would be duly considered, God bless you
mizGene:

Don't let that discourage you, you will probably be in the same shoe as other master's students. Leverage your school's career planning unit and get your CV in shape ASAP, start applying for jobs immediately. Over time, after seeing so many JDs, you will figure out the jobs that are really what you want and be able to tweak your CV accordingly.
Try get a part time role while in school. ( Also In your CV, don't be explicit about the work locations) Increase your job search tempo by the second half of your program, you will land something just like every other person.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2021
mizGene:

Wow!, interesting. Would this apply to both 5yr and 10yr route?

10 years only

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 3:11pm On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Wow… this is very encouraging to me, my spirit has been lifted with this piece of advice and I just screenshoot it.

Thanks so much mizgene, I won’t forget this… All the informations would be duly considered, God bless you
You are welcome.
Get active on LinkedIn as well if you are not already. LOADS and LOADS of jobs are on there, fine tune your search and set up alerts. A good number of the jobs are "easy apply" too so making applications are less stressful..
Also do lots of interview simulations with friends (using the more common interview questions.)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 3:23pm On Dec 13, 2021
deept:
please adhere to quarantine rules if you dont want what happened to these people in canada to happen to you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by quivah(f): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2021
deept:

IDK but i kinda have a feeling it might just be a false story. I don't take FB stories seriously and also deportation seemed too extreme. Haba
But I have taken some lessons from the story whether true or false.
I have just been thinking how that family will survive such? Whoever suggested the shopping is in a big mess lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mystikal(m): 3:59pm On Dec 13, 2021
Just putting this out there for any help I can get.

Arrived Glasgow on the 27th of November, stayed at a B&B for some days before moving into a recommended friend's flat in Maryhill road G20 where I am paying 400 pounds/month for a room. This arrangement is just for a month as the original room owner is due back in the first week of January.

I am currently searching for a studio or one room in a flat to move in before January in Glasgow. I have searched all the relevant sites and found a few, and looks like I might be settling for a 600 pounds/month room in G1 cos of the aesthetics, flexibility of tenancy and proximity to the University of Strathclyde where I am doing my PhD, but it is quite pricey and was looking for something in the region of 400-500 pounds per month, and was hoping if anyone here has any information that might help. I would be most grateful

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 4:12pm On Dec 13, 2021
Duly NOTED…. Once I get to the UK by nextweek, work don start be that…

Still in Dubai waiting till 21st and I just heard UAE banned all international flights carrying Nigerian passport holders into UAE… Na the citizens go suffer this diplomatic war between UAE and UAR

Only those people that are about to enter UAE will be affected… Buhari don spoil country finish
mizGene:

You are welcome.
Get active on LinkedIn as well if you are not already. LOADS and LOADS of jobs are on there, fine tune your search and set up alerts. A good number of the jobs are "easy apply" too so making applications are less stressful..
Also do lots of interview simulations with friends (using the more common interview questions.)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 4:26pm On Dec 13, 2021
Hello house, I'll appreciate your inputs on this please. I also don't mind any link to the relevant document where I can read up about it. Thank you guys.
Lagosismyhome gratefulme40 dustydee dupsyhoo theguyfromhr umarwy deept justwise RalphLauren wonlasewonimi

Estroller:
Hello all, please a quick one for those who have successfully applied for ILR via Tier2/ work visa route. Do Tier2 dependants also need to satisfy the salary requirement when applying for ILR or this is solely for the main visa holder? I've been poring over relevant sections on the gov.uk website but all I've seen so far suggest the salary requirement is only for the main tier2 visa holder and kind of subjective for the dependant, it only says to ensure you can support yourself and the usual NRPF. Thanks for your anticipated responses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 5:04pm On Dec 13, 2021
Estroller:
Hello house, I'll appreciate your inputs on this please. I also don't mind any link to the relevant document where I can read up about it. Thank you guys.
Lagosismyhome gratefulme40 dustydee dupsyhoo theguyfromhr umarwy deept justwise RalphLauren wonlasewonimi

No they don't, basically the main applicant just needs to demonstrate he or she is still needed for the job and explain any absences. Once the main applicant fulfills that the dependant should be fine as long as all the immigration rules were adhered to.

You no get problem, fire on with your application.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 5:16pm On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Duly NOTED…. Once I get to the UK by nextweek, work don start be that…

Still in Dubai waiting till 21st and I just heard UAE banned all international flights carrying Nigerian passport holders into UAE… Na the citizens go suffer this diplomatic war between UAE and UAR

Only those people that are about to enter UAE will be affected… Buhari don spoil country finish
What did Buhari do in this matter? If we want to be taken serious we have to focus on issues and leave personalities.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 5:24pm On Dec 13, 2021
Thank you fatima04

fatima04:

No they don't, basically the main applicant just needs to demonstrate he or she is still needed for the job and explain any absences. Once the main applicant fulfills that the dependant should be fine as long as all the immigration rules were adhered to.

You no get problem, fire on with your application.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:58pm On Dec 13, 2021
Estroller:
Hello all, please a quick one for those who have successfully applied for ILR via Tier2/ work visa route. Do Tier2 dependants also need to satisfy the salary requirement when applying for ILR or this is solely for the main visa holder? I've been poring over relevant sections on the gov.uk website but all I've seen so far suggest the salary requirement is only for the main tier2 visa holder and kind of subjective for the dependant, it only says to ensure you can support yourself and the usual NRPF. Thanks for your anticipated responses.

I doubt that very much that a dependent salary will even be in the matter... what if the dependant is a house wife or house husband. It is not a requirement for the dependant to work hence I don't think it factors in at all

At least not when I was doing mine. I know things change quickly so double checking is good but I don't see how it can factor in. It should be requirement regarding the main applicant

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2021
Thank you for your input

LagosismyHome:

I doubt that very much that a dependent salary will even be in the matter... what if the dependant is a house wife or house husband. It is not a requirement for the dependant to work hence I don't think it factors in at all

At least not when I was doing mine. I know things change quickly so double checking is good but I don't see how it can factor in. It should be requirement regarding the main applicant
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:55pm On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Seeing our OGAs remarks on MBA/HR and the likes not being productive, na to dey think of how to run a second master program in the UK be that ooo when I neva even start the MBA I got the Visa for….

Chai, wontigbemini handicap angry angry

Due diligence with good research is really important when planning to travel abroad as a student….

What a big dilemma grin grin

It won't give you an edge... just know that and you find wisdom in it

However its good you know that and start preparing from beginning on how to tackle it. No problem without a solution.

Aprokodaughter just shared how she prepared so learn from that . Target some areas, look at the job description and see how your experience can mirror that on your cv and skills and how you can speak about it too .

You try and give it your best. Hopefully it all works out . No matter how hard an area is (in life generally) , you always still find success story

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by procartier(m): 7:01pm On Dec 13, 2021
LagosismyHome:

10 years just means "have stayed in the UK legally for 10 consecutive years then you qualify. The key word is legally and consecutively ..... so student visa is a legal stay so is any dependant visa, spouse visa , PSW and the working visas. All that can be combined to make up the 10 years . ...... so even young people who do A level and read up to PHD level and then PSW can make up their 10 years that way .

Visiting visa is what doesn't count as that not a stay visa but a visit visa and also entering UK through a boat illegally or any other illegal way of entering and staying . Those are illegal way not legal so won't count .

If you start off as a legal visa ie student visa or dependent and then fall out of status or become illegal or fall out of status after PSW then you disqualify as a person needs to be legal all through that 10 years ...it has to be consecutively been in a legal status

Guys am new here, what does PSW mean?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2021
Thank you so much. I have a lot of work to do mehn……

I SHALL be Favored.

LagosismyHome:

It won't give you an edge... just know that and you find wisdom in it

However its good you know that and start preparing from beginning on how to tackle it. No problem without a solution.

Aprokodaughter just shared how she prepared so learn from that . Target some areas, look at the job description and see how your experience can mirror that on your cv and skills and how you can speak about it too .

You try and give it your best. Hopefully it all works out . No matter how hard an area is (in life generally) , you always still find success story
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by procartier(m): 7:39pm On Dec 13, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Hopefully the wife in the hypothetical situation would avoid taking an MPH which is another degree beloved of Nigerians that could be as unproductive as a MSc HR or an MBA.
I am currently applying to study an MBA. I don't understand your last statement bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 7:44pm On Dec 13, 2021
Estroller:

I honestly don’t know as my dependant is not yet due to apply but I have never heard anyone mention that as a requirement for dependants.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 8:04pm On Dec 13, 2021
justwise:

That is a different case as i have stated in subsequent posts
Noted
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AKALAMAGBO: 8:32pm On Dec 13, 2021
Read the ensuing comments, you will understand.

procartier:
I am currently applying to study an MBA. I don't understand your last statement bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by procartier(m): 9:00pm On Dec 13, 2021
AKALAMAGBO:
Well, I have been in Dubai since 8th of this month and my flight ✈️ to Birmingham is 21st, which numerically means I have stayed in a Green List country for more than 10 days and that’s what I will be filling inside the passengers locator form…

When I was booking my flight at emirates airline office here, their agent only asked how many days would it have amounted to between the days I got here and the day I plan to travel, the answer was 13 days and his response was; you are good to go, but you have to ensure your Covid-19 test is negative in the last 24 hours and you must remember to fill a passenger locators form…

Well let’s see how this play out.
Awaiting your experience
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 9:35pm On Dec 13, 2021
ShalewaT:

Do you mean MBA isn't a productive course to study in the UK?
I kind of agree. If sponsorship is what you need. Mba, msc hr might not help you. Go for a skilled degree check linkedin and see for example, The internationals in the uni you got admission to did they get a job after studying same mba, msc hr with sponsorship and stayed back. Pay for linkedin premium and you have to dig deep and do in-depth research.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 9:37pm On Dec 13, 2021
mystikal:

Arrived Glasgow on the 27th of November, stayed at a B&B for some days before moving into a recommended friend's flat in Maryhill road G20 where I am paying 400 pounds/month for a room. This arrangement is just for a month as the original room owner is due back in the first week of January.

I am currently searching for a studio or one room in a flat to move in before January in Glasgow. I have searched all the relevant sites and found a few, and looks like I might be settling for a 600 pounds/month room in G1 cos of the aesthetics, flexibility of tenancy and proximity to the University of Strathclyde where I am doing my PhD, but it is quite pricey and was looking for something in the region of 400-500 pounds per month, and was hoping if anyone here has any information that might help. I would be most grateful
spare room.co.uk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Schoolhike: 9:53pm On Dec 13, 2021
mystikal:

I stays at g22, dm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mamatwiny(f): 10:58pm On Dec 13, 2021

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.