Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169883 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
Susom:
He is two going on three, he is required to bring lunch to be stored in the fridge untill lunch Time�

Is this the only nursery in your area... please check around. I don't imagine any nursery asking me to bring food for one year .... No power for such.

Except its a must for you that he attends a sure start nursery.... if yes then sometimes my kids went to holiday clubs where I had to provide lunch so I did snack (crips, cakes, chocolate fingers) , caprisonne or a small juice drink and I made a sandwich...switch up the type of bread for variety and then ham, sausage ,tuna for filling, burger in the oven and put in a bread bun.. Yogurt some days..

He won't be able to take these to nursery(he eats lots of noodles, poundo ) ... noodles yes if he allowed hot food then you buy a small flask

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
marylandcakes:

Thanks for trying. Luton is too far for me.

That’s alright. I checked and it’s like 26minutes drive so you are right, it’s quite a distance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jummiedel(f): 5:12pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Not sure about your location but most nurseries here won’t want you to come in with hot food. So it needs to be cold- Sandwiches, Fruit, Juice box, Croissants and/or biscuits.

As someone mentioned, also find out if the nursery will feed your child. You might not even need to pack anything if he’s not a picky eater.
Hi Mamatukwas , I need pounds.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:19pm On Jan 12, 2022
Pijames:
Hello everyone, can anyone in Uk help me to sign a guarantor form for house, I don’t know any body in this country. I need to get accommodation, all of them are doing shakara, the one that agreed say I must be fully employe or have a guarantor.

You need to fully read up what a guarantor is and the obligation such a person would assume prior to seeking someone.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Susom(f): 5:26pm On Jan 12, 2022
Oh yes I am open to trying out new meals and not necessary traditional meals. He has been going to the nursery for a year for morning sessions and we all love it so why not.

Meal prep for picky eaters is the absolute worst but mehn but if we have to do it, we do it. Thanks for the suggestions.

LagosismyHome:

Is this the only nursery in your area... please check around. I don't imagine any nursery asking me to bring food for one year .... No power for such.

Except its a must for you that he attends a sure start nursery.... if yes then sometimes my kids went to holiday clubs where I had to provide lunch so I did snack (crips, cakes, chocolate fingers) , caprisonne or a small juice drink and I made a sandwich...switch up the type of bread for variety and then ham, sausage ,tuna for filling, burger in the oven and put in a bread bun.. Yogurt some days..

He won't be able to take these to nursery(he eats lots of noodles, poundo ) ... noodles yes if he allowed hot food then you buy a small flask
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 5:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
jummiedel:
Hi Mamatukwas , I need pounds.

Na Naira I get oh. For pounds buzz Omopapa or Lexus4g.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 6:08pm On Jan 12, 2022
SamReinvented:
Abeg, what’s the latest on DVLA delays? Is the situation better now? I intend to travel out in the next 2 months or so, and I want to send my BRP for driver’s license. Make the thing no go hang ooo. embarassed embarassed

There was a post here on how you can get it faster, and it works cos I used the address as well.
Apparently, you are sending directly to the processing office whereas the address on the envelope sent to you is the mail receiving centre, hence the delay.

FAO
Leanne Jones
Head of Vehicle Input Service DVLA
Swansea
SA6 7JL.

You could enclose an envelope for special delivery for safe return of tour BRP.
I posted mine 31st Dec 2021 and received it 11th Jan 2022.

11 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 6:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
Pijames:
Hello everyone, can anyone in Uk help me to sign a guarantor form for house, I don’t know any body in this country. I need to get accommodation, all of them are doing shakara, the one that agreed say I must be fully employe or have a guarantor.

If you don't pay your rent then they will come and distrub the guarantor, so you hardly see a stranger agreeing to do such do finding one here might be hard

Ask what are your other options if you don't have the two above so you can plan yourself accordingly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 6:40pm On Jan 12, 2022

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by SirWellington(m): 7:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
hustla:

cheesy

Made a mistake with the address and Randox haven't sent it back since

Thank God I got in early Sha..

Yeah, finally got my pcr result today, thank God I can move around now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
Pijames:

If you are a student, speak to your school they have provision for this. And if they have offered the total number for the session, then I think you can speak to the African student community in your school, I think they can help.

If you are working (but not fully employed), speak to your employer, they can help or provide your with a means.

Guarantor seems like a little big favor to ask from someone who don’t know you personally. I doubt if anyone will want to take up that responsibility.

Also I think some Africans said something about their church helping. Not sure as I don’t attend one, but I am sure I heard that from someone.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:14pm On Jan 12, 2022
SirWellington:

Yeah, finally got my pcr result today, thank God I can move around now.

Lol, you have been wanting to “ go out” since the day you came in. Happy you are free to go now. But please remember covid ooo, the numbers are increasing like something else. Make you no go move around finish and move back to isolation because of contact with someone who has contacted it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by captainhoo: 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2022
Pijames:
Offer the agency/landlord three or six months rent to avoid needing a guarantor.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2022
marylandcakes:
Here is the 2022 list of the 50 worst places to live in the UK

I’m in Luton, and I have a friend in Huddersfield.

All I can say is AVOID. I’m going back to Newcastle or anywhere far after my rent contract ends. I no know wetin carry me come here, I was feeling adventurous.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 8:52pm On Jan 12, 2022
HollyMadison:

I’m in Luton, and I have a friend in Huddersfield.

All I can say is AVOID. I’m going back to Newcastle or anywhere far after my rent contract ends. I no know wetin carry me come here, I was feeling adventurous.

What is so wrong with Luton? I’m sure there are people living there. Please tell us , we want to know.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
marylandcakes:

What is so wrong with Luton? I’m sure there are people living there. Please tell us , we want to know.

Good question.

Can't wait for the answer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 9:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
marylandcakes:

Luton is rough, I’m part of the people living here. Lots of drugs, gambling, burglaries. Everywhere is just rough, maybe because I’m comparing to Newcastle oo… but I had to adjust my walk and dressing to avoid talk. The number of Junkies that will walk up to you and ask for money or drugs or smoke sef go shock you. On new year na so ambulance full everywhere, apparently some people had over partied and overdosed. And it’s dirty, you’ll see different types of vomit, shit, broken glass as you’re walking around.

There are other cities to stay in UK, research can’t give you the full low down on a city/town before you move. You either see it yourself or hear from someone else.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
HollyMadison:

Luton is rough, I’m part of the people living here. Lots of drugs, gambling, burglaries. Everywhere is just rough, maybe because I’m comparing to Newcastle oo… but I had to adjust my walk and dressing to avoid talk. The number of Junkies that will walk up to you and ask for money or drugs or smoke sef go shock you. On new year na so ambulance full everywhere, apparently some people had over partied and overdosed. And it’s dirty, you’ll see different types of vomit, shit, broken glass as you’re walking around.

There are other cities to stay in UK, research can’t give you the full low down on a city/town before you move. You either see it yourself or hear from someone else.

All these things you described they happen in other cities. That's why people mind their business in here.

Sheffield that is quite they stabbed someone there last year close to my place. It happens everywhere. My aunt will tell me if person march you for this uk tell that person sorry and Waka no follow them argue.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:14pm On Jan 12, 2022
HollyMadison:

Luton is rough, I’m part of the people living here. Lots of drugs, gambling, burglaries. Everywhere is just rough, maybe because I’m comparing to Newcastle oo… but I had to adjust my walk and dressing to avoid talk. [b]The number of Junkies that will walk up to you and ask for money or drugs or smoke sef go shock [/b]you. On new year na so ambulance full everywhere, apparently some people had over partied and overdosed. And it’s dirty, you’ll see different types of vomit, shit, broken glass as you’re walking around.

Na wa oo @bolded when it's not oshodi. Are you sure it's not the part of Luton you live? Although I heard Luton is quite rough from someone that lived there and looking to move but not the extent of what you have described here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by frank043(m): 10:15pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mamatukwas:
P.S - A client has N1,000,000 she wants to change at N740. Any takers?

Good morning ya’ll.

Hi Mamatukwas,

I'm interested. Sent you an mail.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:18pm On Jan 12, 2022
Is this wickedness or just greed. Trying to cut cost and poison people. Always learning how to spend less money when doing business. We can't even compare Indian restaurants or Bangladeshi sef.

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2022/1/uk-based-nigerian-restaurateur-fined-for-claiming-that-the-decayed-chicken-he-was-serving-is-a-nigerian-delicacy.html

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:21pm On Jan 12, 2022
HollyMadison:

You live in LU1 area?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
fatima04:

Na wa oo @bolded when it's not oshodi. Are you sure it's not the part of Luton you live? Although I heard Luton is quite rough from someone that lived there and looking to move but not the extent of what you have described here.

I know Luton very well and still have close friends living there. What she described is common in almost all town centres in the UK and areas close to town centre especially on weekends
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 10:30pm On Jan 12, 2022
justwise:

Good question.

Can't wait for the answer.

You can March on poopoo in certain areaas

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:34pm On Jan 12, 2022
gratefulme40:

You can March on poopoo in certain areaas

Areas close to town centre and on weekends mostly and this is a typical scenario in almost all cities in the UK till city council cleaners cleans up in Sunday morning.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightest(m): 10:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
kaylov12:

There was a post here on how you can get it faster, and it works cos I used the address as well.
Apparently, you are sending directly to the processing office whereas the address on the envelope sent to you is the mail receiving centre, hence the delay.

FAO
Leanne Jones
Head of Vehicle Input Service DVLA
Swansea
SA6 7JL.

You could enclose an envelope for special delivery for safe return of tour BRP.
I posted mine 31st Dec 2021 and received it 11th Jan 2022.

I posted that message here and someone bluff it off instantly. Thank u for trying it. It has being working like magic.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 10:53pm On Jan 12, 2022
justwise:

You live in LU1 area?

Yes I do. cry

I went from Newcastle city centre to Luton town centre, and I was in for a shock.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:04pm On Jan 12, 2022
HollyMadison:

Yes I do. cry

I went from Newcastle city centre to Luton town centre, and I was in for a shock.

What you saw in Luton or experiencing is not different from what happens in Newcastle town centre areas unless you don't get out on weekends or live close to town centre.

You will not see such in LU3, 4, or 5 part of Luton. LU2 area mostly close to train station and beginning of high town road are rough areas.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 12, 2022
justwise:

What you saw in Luton or experiencing is not different from what happens in Newcastle town centre areas unless you don't get out on weekends or live close to town centre.

You will not see such in LU3, 4, or 5 part of Luton. LU2 area mostly close to train station and beginning of high town road rough areas.

True city centers and high streets can be rough.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 11:16pm On Jan 12, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

True city centers and high streets can be rough.

No city in the UK without such prob especially when you have universities, bus and train stations located very close to town centres which is typical of UK cities apart from maybe London.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:32pm On Jan 12, 2022
HollyMadison:

I been to Luton a couple of times for one thing or another . I noticed there a lot of council houses and run down houses where I went... in UK there just seem to be a relationship between money and crime. The areas with loads of council or lower income people the more the wahala....

The lady I went to see stays in a council 3 bed house. I have never seen a house so run down like that house..... but Husband and wife said they don't want to work for anybody and are not aspiring to do anything, it's now the wife is trying to bake which she very good at....
But I don't understand how a naija man would say his wife cannot work for anybody and forbids her from working yet him too doesn't work. . But I digress

However one of my boss stays in Luton and she said its a nice area so they have some good and very bad areas is what i think even if majority of the area is run down
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Olinga(f): 11:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
Edinburgh is not like that oh hehehe. Clean and crisp city. In fact most cities in Scotland are clean and clam except Glasgow sha. smiley

justwise:

No city in the UK without such prob especially when you have universities, bus and train stations located very close to town centres which is typical of UK cities apart from maybe London.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.