Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,863 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (197) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1185232 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:37am On Jan 16, 2022
brine:
I find some of the responses here totally unwarranted. Like, why would any one here think some people fear Just2wise !? Are we in a primary school settings?

BTW,
I lent a female friend £2k for her to add to her POF around August last year. The money was SOLELY for proof of funds and she even suggested that we could draft and agreement but I wasn't having any of that(silly). She messaged me today that she didn't get the visa and with all the plenty talks, she didn't even mention anything about my money . I was shocked by her response when I asked her for the money since there wasn't any need for her to still keep hold of it. She said she paid the money to an agent to forge bank statements as the money I sent and about N500k were all she had(What she got from the Uni was more like part scholarship). Then she also paid the agent some other fees. Long story short, she has given my money to the agent BUT I don't need to worry as the agent promised to return the money back to her in the next few months and she'll definitely send it back to me when she gets the reimbursement No apologies, but black people don't even rate their fellow black people and some people come here to talk BS about Nigerians not helping their fellow Nigerians.

For some of you here, the only place you get valuable information is only on Nairaland because the Nigerian/African leaving next door doesn't even rates you. Yet you'll see of them acting like someone owes them a response. We need to stop preventing other people from getting help PLEASE, because some of the attitudes we portray discourages people from providing help.

But this story itself discourages me from providing help. sad

Do you really believe the agent will reimbursed one naira. And Why didn't she mention from begining that this was the plan with an agent so that you can decide if you want to part with 2k or not ...... it stories like this and the outcome that causes the not rating well

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:38am On Jan 16, 2022
brine:
I find some of the responses here totally unwarranted. Like, why would any one here think some people fear Just2wise !? Are we in a primary school settings?

BTW,
I lent a female friend £2k for her to add to her POF around August last year. The money was SOLELY for proof of funds and she even suggested that we could draft and agreement but I wasn't having any of that(silly). She messaged me today that she didn't get the visa and with all the plenty talks, she didn't even mention anything about my money . I was shocked by her response when I asked her for the money since there wasn't any need for her to still keep hold of it. She said she paid the money to an agent to forge bank statements as the money I sent and about N500k were all she had(What she got from the Uni was more like part scholarship). Then she also paid the agent some other fees. Long story short, she has given my money to the agent BUT I don't need to worry as the agent promised to return the money back to her in the next few months and she'll definitely send it back to me when she gets the reimbursement No apologies, but black people don't even rate their fellow black people and some people come here to talk BS about Nigerians not helping their fellow Nigerians.

For some of you here, the only place you get valuable information is only on Nairaland because the Nigerian/African leaving next door doesn't even rates you. Yet you'll see of them acting like someone owes them a response. We need to stop preventing other people from getting help PLEASE, because some of the attitudes we portray discourages people from providing help.

This is the exact reason, why such requests is muted....... The best answer is ''I don't have''.....

The money in majority of the cases I have heard about, usually enters voicemail..........

Hope she also mentioned her likely ''10 year ban'' too......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:39am On Jan 16, 2022
Bluetherapy:

What sort of questions could be asked during the informal chat? Is this informal chat with the HR or the contact person of the department?

In many adverts you see a line that states 'For enquiries, please contact so-and-so at [email address/telephone number]'.
That person is usually someone in the department where the vacancy is and they are involved in the selection process, and contacting them is a good step to get an idea of what the job role entails.

In most interviews, HR only sits in and notes down and ticks responses to the meaningless standard questions ('Can you tell us about a time when you demonstrated leadership or when you handled a situation successfully on your own and provided a good customer service outcome?), etc.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:39am On Jan 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Do you really believe the agent will reimbursed one naira. And Why didn't she mention from begining that this was the plan with an agent so that you can decide if you want to part with 2k or not ...... it stories like this and the outcome that causes the not rating well

Oga, money don enter vmail........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:44am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Oga, money don enter vmail........

I think so too........ It won't even branch to say hello back for one minute
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 16, 2022
Mimzyy:
cheesy Good morning

Good morning o lols
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 9:48am On Jan 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Had she done so, the likely hopelessness of her undertaking would have been clear - applying for a UK student visa with 500k and false documents. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 9:49am On Jan 16, 2022
brine:

BTW,

Regarding the loan, where I come from the saying has it that a) you never loan money you can't afford to lose, and b) when you loan a friend money, factor in that you are likely going to lose both friend and money. This doesn't have anything to do with Nigerians, I definitely don't think Nigerians are any less helpful to friends and family than any other country as people like to state, its simply that the extended family system has broken down, so the circle of "family" is now narrower than it was in our parents' generation.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:01am On Jan 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:

When people say the Indian's pull themselves up, this is part of the reasons, Nigerian's fail to help another (in most cases).........

They would not appreciate you, they would insult you and take advantage of your good nature aka false sense of entitlement. ........... cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:04am On Jan 16, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

Good morning o lols

Aprokodaughter, must show herself around such hot stories .......... grin

Kemi Olunloyo must recruit you, into her ministry......... tongue

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:06am On Jan 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Best bet to start working out and instalment payment plan ............

Her original plan was to come to the UK, work and payback........

That plan don hit working ceiling fan ........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tonyyyu: 10:12am On Jan 16, 2022
Good Morning Everyone. Please I have a pending application since 8th of November , It's a skilled work Visa application...Does anyone know how I can contact the UKVI ? I have tried the phone from inside the uk they only have an automated massage of large volume of application...I am worried.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 10:13am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Best bet to start working out and instalment payment plan ............

Her original plan was to come to the UK, work and payback........

That plan don hit working ceiling fan ........ wink

I will be shocked if the lender gets £100 out of that money back. The best advice to give the lender is to learn from the experience. There are equally trustworthy people that you lend money for POF and they return it as agreed. Na make God just dey help person.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:16am On Jan 16, 2022
Tonyyyu:
Good Morning Everyone. Please I have a pending application since 8th of November , It's a skilled work Visa application...Does anyone know how I can contact the UKVI ? I have tried the phone from inside the uk they only have an automated massage of large volume of application...I am worried.

See if you can get your employer's HR department to contact them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:19am On Jan 16, 2022
Basically questions around the work culture, what the typical day is like and some other things that might not have made it to the JD.
The contact listed on the advert.
Bluetherapy:

What sort of questions could be asked during the informal chat? Is this informal chat with the HR or the contact person of the department?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 10:19am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

When people say the Indian's pull themselves up, this is part of the reasons, Nigerian's fail to help another (in most cases).........

They would not appreciate you, they would insult you and take advantage of your good nature aka false sense of entitlement. ........... cheesy

This is the reason that I have a robotic answer of “I don’t have sorry ”

How many times can one make a fool of you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tonyyyu: 10:20am On Jan 16, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

See if you can get your employer's HR department to contact them.

Thank you..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Schoolhike: 10:22am On Jan 16, 2022
mdeeokoye:

I have a friend that did the same maybe slightly different but. He did his first masters in 2019 and applied for another masters 2020 because the PSW did not cover him. Two months into his second masters he got a graduate job with sponsorship in an engineering firm and switched his visa and deferred his masters

Two guys also did the same, they came in last year September for masters, na so them see sponsorship for one care home that will sponsor their visa for 5 years (contract) straight.

They are presently out of university now on tier 2 route. Dropped masters (lol)

Left Scotland to England

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Aprokodaughter, must show herself around such hot stories .......... grin

Kemi Olunloyo must recruit you, into her ministry......... tongue

LMAO I no fit do Pharmacy Medicine and Journalism together o abeg I no won die cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:32am On Jan 16, 2022
The offer could still be withdrawn then. It mostly depends on the organisation and if they're willing to sponsor.
Example: one of the people I mentioned in my previous posts had about 4 job offers towards the end of last year and all of the jobs didn't state sponsorship but because her student visa was expiring in January, she was worried and reached out to them. 2 of them withdrew their offers as they said that she didn't have a valid work visa, one of them told her to apply for her PSW so that she could resume. The last one sent her a COS on Wednesday after she sent a mail to the recruiting manager about her student visa running out in a few days (she applied for her PSW after applying last year but never mentioned that she got it already because she really wanted a sponsored job) - apparently HR wasn't sure about what to do and they never escalated to the recruiting manager as promised. The recruiting manager liaised with HR immediately to make sure that she got the COS.
canadaishome:

So it makes sense to ask about sponsorship after there's an offer on the table?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 10:36am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Stop calling, start physically entering estate agents office's...........
I have done that too ooo bro at least I visited about 7 of them yesterday
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:37am On Jan 16, 2022
Schoolhike:

Two guys also did the same, they came in last year September for masters, na so them see sponsorship for one care home that will sponsor their visa for 5 years (contract) straight.

Left Scotland to England

Ehnn.... make everyone dey share these kind things so we can all learn . Lol. Even of it hearsay stories we can then check if its legally allowed or not

Although care job is not for everyone and not everyone is better off using this path . Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:39am On Jan 16, 2022
marylandcakes:

This is the reason that I have a robotic answer of “I don’t have sorry ”

How many times can one make a fool of you?

Fool me once, shame on you ........ Fool me multiple times, shame on me ...... I also don't have to wait to personally experience it, I am a quick learner......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:40am On Jan 16, 2022
Amazoner01:

I have done that too ooo bro at least I visited about 7 of them yesterday

Have you tried open rent ?.....

In this your search, be careful...... 419 are plentiful......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 10:45am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Have you tried open rent ?.....

In this your search, be careful...... 419 are plentiful......
I have tried open rent and thanks for telling me about the 419 cos I for loose guard oo with this desperation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 10:47am On Jan 16, 2022
Amazoner01:
Good samaritans ooo embarassed
I have been staying in hotel with huge charge almost close to a week with my wife, we can’t even cook grin. All my tastebud don spoil... I haven’t seen good affordable room for couple in the whole of Hertfordshire even tho I upped my budget to 750pounds to 800pounds. We are getting depressed already ooo. Wetin make I do like this. What’s the implication of getting single room but double bed for couple as we don tire already. I’m at Stevenage currently. What can I do?

There is no implication as long as the landlord allows it. Look for studio or bedsit accommodations

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 11:01am On Jan 16, 2022
justwise:

There is no implication as long as the landlord allows it. Look for studio or bedsit accommodations
Of course I may not tell the landlord cos all the ones I have been telling are declining the couple thingy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:15am On Jan 16, 2022
Amazoner01:

I have tried open rent and thanks for telling me about the 419 cos I for loose guard oo with this desperation.

Have you also tried purple bricks ?.....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 11:17am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

No let me try
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:18am On Jan 16, 2022
canadaishome:

So it makes sense to ask about sponsorship after there's an offer on the table?

Not necessarily.
There are no hard and fast rules.
Sometimes, at the pre-selection stage, some candidates are washed out because they will need sponsorship.
Sometimes, at the pre-selection stage, the company decides it is prepared to provide sponsorship if a good candidate may require it.
And I have heard of a couple of cases where a company went down the whole sponsor licence route for a specific candidate (it's certainly not as expensive as people think, far from it).

The point being that at whatever stage you raise the issue of sponsorship in a recruitment process and the subsequent outcome, you have not made a fatal mistake or done anything that you should regret.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 11:20am On Jan 16, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Tried just seeing one single property for rent... chai
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sulee23(f): 11:20am On Jan 16, 2022
Good morning bro. Please I sent you a dm, biko reply. I just need to clarify something. Sorry to bother you.

Schoolhike:

Left Scotland to England

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.