Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,557 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (224) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177630 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Engobi(m): 5:13am On Jan 28, 2022
Mamatukwas:

We are plentyish. How far?
What’s the best bank you advice to open a bank acc and I keep seeing thread for credit card is that applicable here pls kindly share with me the benefits n your advice to a new comer thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Marola(f): 6:31am On Jan 28, 2022
I love this
But how does one go about getting a tier 2 work visa(sponsorship) if one is doing a blue collar job?.
Ideas will be highly appreciated.

deept:

I hired a guy to come plaster a section of a wall earlier this month, paid over £200 for less than a 2 hour job. Speaking to him, he said this was his if i can remember correctly his 10th job for the year. He used to drive a Porsche which he sold recently even at a price higher than what he paid for it. My mouth dropped at some of the stories he told us about how much he has made over the years and believe me lots of is that do white collar jobs don't earn that kind of money and they collect cash so don't pay HMRC anything.

Paid one to do the kitchen, minus the cost of the appliances and cabinets i calculated £4000 as his take home for about a 10 day job and he worked at his own pace. How many of us earn that?

When you start, you might have to build credibility and experience, but when you get that, the sky is the limit to what you want to earn and how you want to work.

All the people that ask what certification they need to do to get a job in the UK, of you are still in Nigeria, go and attach yourself to that Baba painter and Bana plumber and Baba carpenter even barber to learn the trade, come here fine tune the skills get whatever CSCS card or certification you need and with God on your side, there are no limits.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:34am On Jan 28, 2022
missb50:
Elders,

I got a new apartment, moved in on January 7th this year (Band C, 2bed). The apartment was previously a business property before it was bought and renovated by my Landlord but still reads a business address on Royal Mail, I contacted RM for an update and they referred me to the address and numbering dept at the local council for the update which is being worked on. My Landlord equally said he has made all documentation to effect the change.

I called the gas and energy (OPUS - they provide energy for only for businesses) provider immediately I moved in to inform them the address is now a residential address and no more commercial property so I can move to another provider, they promised to do the update anytime I called which made me feel at peace.

The problem came in today... I got the gas and energy bill for about 20 days and it is over 600 pounds!

I contacted the energy company and they said I have been billed as a commercial property because they could not update my address due to the fact that Royal Mail still states the address as a commercial property.

The meter readings are accurate.

I carried my Landlord along all through.

What can I do? Ki ni kin se?

Thank you.

STOP calling, start writing ...........

Write a letter to OPUS.....
Write a letter to OFGEM........
Write a letter to your landlord .......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:40am On Jan 28, 2022
dupyshoo:
Being a guarantor means if you can't pay, the guarantor will be pursued for the money. It can even lead to bad credit rating for the guarantor.

Can you be a guarantor for someone you don't know? So, it is better you pay for the 6 months or look for family members/close friends that can stand for you.

You no even send the message, with a soft pat on the back ........

You sent the message with a nail + hammer, leaving the hammer behind........... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missb50: 6:54am On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Thanks, egbon.. I hope letters via email is OK..? I am thinking of writing a comprehensive mail and copy all of them at once.. Seems to be the fastest
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:57am On Jan 28, 2022
Marola:
I love this
But how does one go about getting a tier 2 work visa(sponsorship) if one is doing a blue collar job?.
Ideas will be highly appreciated.

The answer is in the post you quoted: "get whatever CSCS card or certification you need...".
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:04am On Jan 28, 2022
Engobi:

What’s the best bank you advice to open a bank acc and I keep seeing thread for credit card is that applicable here pls kindly share with me the benefits n your advice to a new comer thanks.

All banks na the same and offer the same services.
Apart from Barclays wey get shakara like the old Zenith bank of the early 2000s when it comes to new arrivals to the UK.
And you asked about Scotland - its part of the UK and there is no difference between banks or any other services anywhere else in the UK - except you pay more tax here when you start earning better money. But you get more for your tax (free prescriptions, more hours of government funded nursery school, and now free bus travel for under 22s) as well, so all balances out.

The credit card thing has been asked many times before, go back and read these threads from the beginning, but to summarise - no waste time applying for credit until you have been here at least 6 months and most likely more.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:05am On Jan 28, 2022
missb50:

Thanks, egbon.. I hope letters via email is OK..? I am thinking of writing a comprehensive mail and copy all of them at once.. Seems to be the fastest

Email is fine, but you would have to tweak it to reflect relationships (landlord, regulator and provider).......

They all cannot have same body and contents.............
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missb50: 7:15am On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Email is fine, but you would have to tweak it to reflect relationships (landlord, regulator and provider).......

They all cannot have same body and contents.............

Acknowledged!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:20am On Jan 28, 2022
canadaishome:

Please kindly provide more insight.
If I use £50 so I have a month to pay it in full?

Better take time out and go online and read up about how credit cards work before you apply for one, the types of CCs, purchase, rewards, combos of the different types (balance transfer no concern you for now).
MSE, fool.co.uk, etc, all have very good guides explaining wetin dey involved in credit. CCs are good, especially regarding section 75 and all that, but its easy to mess up with them o.

If you have been in the UK long enough, get a purchase credit card with a good interest-free period.
These are usually offered by the banks and not the bad credit/credit builder card people.
Go to the bank where your salary is being paid and talk to them in person, so that you avoid the 'computer says no" rubbish.
I went in to my high street Bank of Scotland branch and spoke to a rep. Theirs is 17 months interest free, others have longer or shorter periods, Natwest has 22 months, for instance.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 7:22am On Jan 28, 2022
Amazoner01:

Capiital one declined the credit card application. Is it because i haven’t stayed in uk for a long time.

HRGuy said it clearly.
Leave credit cards for now, and don't apply for more.
Wait until you don dey here for a while.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 8:25am On Jan 28, 2022
I appreciate your response
mimilyrics:
No. You still need to do them. Nigerian licence can't be exchanged for UK's. Only certain countries can do that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 8:40am On Jan 28, 2022
cheesy Hehehe!!
I hardly write in such tone but it was really surprising to see a post like that and also because I know how doing something similar has caused someone close to me grief.

Lexusgs430:

You no even send the message, with a soft pat on the back ........

You sent the message with a nail + hammer, leaving the hammer behind........... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 28, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:12am On Jan 28, 2022
dupyshoo:
cheesy Hehehe!!
I hardly write in such tone but it was really surprising to see a post like that and also because I know how doing something similar has caused someone close to me grief.

I have a 0% guarantor request honoured ..... Before you ask the question, I stop you ........... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 9:16am On Jan 28, 2022
Futureukstudent:
I have a question about this credit card stuff.. I am about to apply for one but I don’t understand when they charge the apr. Is it when you default in payment or whenever you use the credit card?

If you pay your statement balance in full on or before the due date then you don’t have to pay any interest.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lindakam: 9:26am On Jan 28, 2022
Please this advice should be taken by everyone especially new ones like me. What I have seen here especially with agents/landlord because I failed to have a proof of conversations. ALWAYS WRITE. Phone calls should be a follow-up on the emails or letters. I learnt the hard way.

Lexusgs430:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Inioge(f): 9:49am On Jan 28, 2022
[quote author=STENON

Good morning Stenon. I hope this meets you in good health. Please, I need your scholarly advice. Someone mentioned you on Fb I had to come look for you.

I am a 2:1 graduate of Education/Social studies.

I have my TRCN

I also have my masters in Childhood Education with a Distinction.

I have 2 years teaching experience. I also volunteer for an NGO . I am presently in eastern Nigeria and had to stop teaching during the civil as schools were shut down . I ventured into online drop shipping of footwears and that's what I do presently. Truth is, we are poorly paid here in onitsha. Please, advice me on affordable routes to UK as a teacher.

I love to teach and have really missed the classroom setting.

Pleaae,What do you advice I do?

How do I grow in this career?

I await your response.

Thanks so much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:53am On Jan 28, 2022
omopapa:
Lebara, Lyca, gifgaff don’t work I’m afraid

embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Earthday: 9:55am On Jan 28, 2022
My people make una help me on what to do oo!
I made a mistake not changing my usd to pounds at the black market from 9ja before bringing it here thinking I’d get better offer. Myself & my wife brought in 8k usd from jaiz bank as they treated the form A less than 24hrs but they don’t give pounds but only usd, We’d have used different bank but the issue was no luxury of time & school resumption was due already and other banks won’t treat form A tht fast.

Now post office & other exchange companies are offering 689 pounds to 1k usd against 745 pounds or thereabouts we’d have gotten in Nigeria. I goofed up really relying on oanda rates online. Eyes don clear now pls what’s the solution to this ? Edakun o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:55am On Jan 28, 2022
Lindakam:
Please this advice should be taken by everyone especially new ones like me. What I have seen here especially with agents/landlord because I failed to have a proof of conversations. ALWAYS WRITE. Phone calls should be a follow-up on the emails or letters. I learnt the hard way.

Once you head down the writing route, they act more with sense .........

Because they know if it ends up in court/mediation, you would have enough evidence to present...........

Aside writing, also take photos and videos (where necessary)....... wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:58am On Jan 28, 2022
Earthday:
I made a mistake not changing my usd to pounds at the black market from 9ja before bringing it here thinking I’d get better offer. Myself & my wife brought in 8k usd from jaiz bank as they treated the form A less than 24hrs but they don’t give pounds but only usd, We’d have used different bank but the issue was no luxury of time & school resumption was due already and other banks won’t treat form A tht fast.

Now post office & other exchange companies are offering 689 pounds to 1k usd against 745 pounds or thereabouts we’d have gotten in Nigeria. I goofed up really relying on oanda rates online. Eyes don clear now pls what’s the solution to this ? Edakun o

Accept that £689 with pains ........ Severe pains ........ wink

Or look for someone going to nigeria, to visit Aboki....... Let's hope stories that touches would not enter, that £689 would be a life saver........ smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Earthday: 10:13am On Jan 28, 2022
Ahahahah shocked shocked
Lexusgs430:

Or look for someone going to nigeria, to visit Aboki....... Let's hope stories that touches would not enter, that £689 would be a life saver........ smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Holarr1: 10:58am On Jan 28, 2022
Hello, are you already in Glasgow?
HopeLoveLife:

Awwwh Glasgow, Scotland cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 11:02am On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Really na with severe pains... his phone calculator would have suffered

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 11:18am On Jan 28, 2022
Earthday:

There used to be some bdc type shops on high streets. I am not sure nowadays, the last time I did I went to one cybercafé on old Kent road in front of Tesco.
Take like 500usd to try first and ask them if they can change more.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 11:29am On Jan 28, 2022
MichaelUde:

Better take time out and go online and read up about how credit cards work before you apply for one, the types of CCs, purchase, rewards, combos of the different types (balance transfer no concern you for now).
MSE, fool.co.uk, etc, all have very good guides explaining wetin dey involved in credit. CCs are good, especially regarding section 75 and all that, but its easy to mess up with them o.

If you have been in the UK long enough, get a purchase credit card with a good interest-free period.
These are usually offered by the banks and not the bad credit/credit builder card people.
Go to the bank where your salary is being paid and talk to them in person, so that you avoid the 'computer says no" rubbish.
I went in to my high street Bank of Scotland branch and spoke to a rep. Theirs is 17 months interest free, others have longer or shorter periods, Natwest has 22 months, for instance.

Thanks for this. I have a question/clarification.

When my wife started working last year, bank of Scotland offered her some amount (I think £250 or so, but less than £500) credit for 24hrs. Tho we didn’t use it then as we didn’t want to mess anything up till we are properly settled. We only set up direct debit as we know that will help a bit.

My Questions,

Using bank of Scotland and their daily credit also will help improve one’s credit score right?

And also I believe as time goes on, it will most likely increase in amount as well as validity?

I want to open an account with them and I am believing it will have good benefit since it is the bank of the country.

Please help with your knowledge of bank of Scotland
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:31am On Jan 28, 2022
Hi Guys,

Any idea what the black market rate is for selling dollars and pounds now to get naira?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hadigun: 11:33am On Jan 28, 2022
Good morning house.

Please who has pounds for sale.

I need 6k pounds.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2022
Chreze:

Thanks for this. I have a question/clarification.

When my wife started working last year, bank of Scotland offered her some amount (I think £250 or so, but less than £500) credit for 24hrs. Tho we didn’t use it then as we didn’t want to mess anything up till we are properly settled. We only set up direct debit as we know that will help a bit.

My Questions,

Using bank of Scotland and their daily credit also will help improve one’s credit score right?

And also I believe as time goes on, it will most likely increase in amount as well as validity?

I want to open an account with them and I am believing it will have good benefit since it is the bank of the country.

Please help with your knowledge of bank of Scotland

On the contrary, UK government and Natwest owns RBS ............. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:44am On Jan 28, 2022
hadigun:
Good morning house.

Please who has pounds for sale.

I need 6k pounds.

DM me pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 11:45am On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

On the contrary, UK government and Natwest owns RBS ............. grin

I no even care who get am, na weda them go help person build score. Cos I used Monzo and revolut for so many things that I believe would have helped build score, but I didn’t care then cos this other bank won’t give half of the flexibility and understanding both Monzo and revolut offered.

But now wey person don settle na to do the right things for other benefit, so na why I de ask.

(1) (2) (3) ... (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.