Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (225) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1171369 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:50am On Jan 28, 2022
Chreze:

I no even care who get am, na weda them go help person build score. Cos I used Monzo and revolut for so many things that I believe would have helped build score, but I didn’t care then cos this other bank won’t give half of the flexibility and understanding both Monzo and revolut offered.

But now wey person don settle na to do the right things for other benefit, so na why I de ask.

Long and short, to build credit score, you need to demonstrate the ability to properly manage credit.....

Not unless monzo and revolut offers you a loan facility. ......... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hadigun: 11:50am On Jan 28, 2022
mizGene:

DM me pls

I’m unable to.

Kindly send a mail to badmusbabatunde2010@gmail.com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:53am On Jan 28, 2022
hadigun:

I’m unable to.

Kindly send a mail to
Ok. You can take off your email now pls.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Earthday: 12:01pm On Jan 28, 2022
grin grin You’re right. I calculate so tale my phone calculator app don turn favorite��

AirBay:

Really na with severe pains... his phone calculator would have suffered
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Earthday: 12:07pm On Jan 28, 2022
Ok I’d give it a trial. Dollars wey I dey always cherish for 9ja Na bad eye I dey take look am inside my wallet. Life drama!!

wonlasewonimi:

There used to be some bdc type shops on high streets. I am not sure nowadays, the last time I did I went to one cybercafé on old Kent road in front of Tesco.
Take like 500usd to try first and ask them if they can change more.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:13pm On Jan 28, 2022
Earthday:
Ok I’d give it a trial. Dollars wey I dey always cherish for 9ja Na bad eye I dey take look am inside my wallet. Life drama!!

Emefiele feels this same way ......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 12:14pm On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Long and short, to build credit score, you need to demonstrate the ability to properly manage credit.....

Not unless monzo and revolut offers you a loan facility. ......... grin

Bros tell me about bank of Scotland. Na watin de do me now.

Monzo and Revolut made it easy for me to get large payment from crypto sales without wahala. To some of us, that’s bigger than loan. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:20pm On Jan 28, 2022
Chreze:

Bros tell me about bank of Scotland. Na watin de do me now.

Monzo and Revolut made it easy for me to get large payment from crypto sales without wahala. To some of us, that’s bigger than loan. grin

Bank of Scotland, natwest, HSBC, santander, Barclays etc etc....... Are all the same, nah packaging different....... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 12:22pm On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Bank of Scotland, natwest, HSBC, santander, Barclays etc etc....... Are all the same, nah packaging different....... grin

Thanks boss.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:38pm On Jan 28, 2022
Chreze:

I no even care who get am, na weda them go help person build score. Cos I used Monzo and revolut for so many things that I believe would have helped build score, but I didn’t care then cos this other bank won’t give half of the flexibility and understanding both Monzo and revolut offered.

But now wey person don settle na to do the right things for other benefit, so na why I de ask.

There are a lot of misconceptions about this credit concept.
Firstly, no matter how many transactions you run from your bank account, including the much-talked about direct debit, it has not effect on your credit file. The only entity that sees how you manage your money in your bank account is your bank itself, the credit reference agencies are not given that information, so even if you pay all your bills and rent promptly and never owe a penny or have a million pounds in your account, it makes no difference to your credit file/so-called credit score. However, you could look into something called Credit Ladder which aims to correct the anomaly of people who are ordinarily good with managing their money having difficulty with accessing credit. I never used it so I can't speak to its utility, I went to my bank to get my first CC.

What the CRAs are told is information about how you handle credit facilities given to you, and that is what shows on your credit file. So to manage credit and build a healthy credit file, you have to go and take out credit somewhere first.

The reason why it is easier to get a credit card from the bank you use is because if you can get someone in the bank to look at your account, they can make a decision to approve you for a CC, like it used to be done in the old days when human beings actually ruled the world. These days computers do that work, and they can bounce anyone based on the pre-set criteria.

The poster mentioned BOS as a bank that he walked into and saw someone to speak to. Quite a few banks have shut down many branches and refer you to the app or online to make applications for these things.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
Amazoner01:

Capiital one declined the credit card application. Is it because i haven’t stayed in uk for a long time.

You asked the question, nah the same you answer the question.........

Download totally money app, review your credit history......

Totally money app, would also notify you when you can apply for this elusive debt card .......... grin

Although, the beauties of section 75....... Simply priceless......... cheesy

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 12:46pm On Jan 28, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

There are a lot of misconceptions about this credit concept.
Firstly, no matter how many transactions you run from your bank account, including the much-talked about direct debit, it has not effect on your credit file. The only entity that sees how you manage your money in your bank account is your bank itself, the credit reference agencies are not given that information, so even if you pay all your bills and rent promptly and never owe a penny or have a million pounds in your account, it makes no difference to your credit file/so-called credit score. However, you could look into something called Credit Ladder which aims to correct the anomaly of people who are ordinarily good with managing their money having difficulty with accessing credit. I never used it so I can't speak to its utility, I went to my bank to get my first CC.

What the CRAs are told is information about how you handle credit facilities given to you, and that is what shows on your credit file. So to manage credit and build a healthy credit file, you have to go and take out credit somewhere first.

The reason why it is easier to get a credit card from the bank you use is because if you can get someone in the bank to look at your account, they can make a decision to approve you for a CC, like it used to be done in the old days when human beings actually ruled the world. These days computers do that work, and they can bounce anyone based on the pre-set criteria.

The poster mentioned BOS as a bank that he walked into and saw someone to speak to. Quite a few banks have shut down many branches and refer you to the app or online to make applications for these things.

Thanks for the explanation. Some BOS are still opened here in Glasgow. I will visit them today and get better explanation. Also we will look into using the credit offered to my wife then. Maybe e fit don increase cos it’s over 6months and it’s a salary account. I will even ask her to check if she can get a credit card. We can be using it for groceries and small shopping, then pay back before the given time.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 1:23pm On Jan 28, 2022
I sent you DM
mizGene:
Hi Guys,

Any idea what the black market rate is for selling dollars and pounds now to get naira?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 1:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
Why is my credit score so different on 4 websites.. the gap is just too much.. experian with the highest

Clearscore
Creditkarma
Moneysavingsclub
Experian
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 2:26pm On Jan 28, 2022
Check Equifax and compare with the rest. Experian is the most trusted from the list above IMO
AirBay:
Why is my credit score so different on 4 websites.. the gap is just too much.. experian with the highest

Clearscore
Creditkarma
Moneysavingsclub
Experian

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 2:37pm On Jan 28, 2022
omopapa:
I sent you DM
Responded.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 3:25pm On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

On the contrary, UK government and Natwest owns RBS ............. grin

RBS is totally different from Bank of Scotland. BOS is owned by the Lloyds group.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 3:34pm On Jan 28, 2022
omopapa:
Lebara, Lyca, gifgaff don’t work I’m afraid
pardon my ignorance, why are the above not working. Which one is the best to get in relation to building credit score or history
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 3:38pm On Jan 28, 2022
omopapa:
Check Equifax and compare with the rest. Experian is the most trusted from the list above IMO

Alright. Will do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:42pm On Jan 28, 2022
Peerielass:

RBS is totally different from Bank of Scotland. BOS is owned by the Lloyds group.

Wahala plenty for the Scottish........... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:44pm On Jan 28, 2022
mex551:
pardon my ignorance, why are the above not working. Which one is the best to get in relation to building credit score or history

Do they offer contract deals or just PAYG ........ If contract deals is offered, it builds your credit score......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lindakam: 4:21pm On Jan 28, 2022
Apt!

Lexusgs430:

Once you head down the writing route, they act more with sense .........

Because they know if it ends up in court/mediation, you would have enough evidence to present...........

Aside writing, also take photos and videos (where necessary)....... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Futureukstudent: 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2022
marylandcakes:

If you pay your statement balance in full on or before the due date then you don’t have to pay any interest.
oh ok… thank you, I get now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amazoner01: 5:28pm On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You asked the question, nah the same you answer the question.........

Download totally money app, review your credit history......

Totally money app, would also notify you when you can apply for this elusive debt card .......... grin

Although, the beauties of section 75....... Simply priceless......... cheesy
You so funny bro �. Thanks for always adding a bit of humor.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Joyousgem: 5:36pm On Jan 28, 2022
Chreze:

Thanks for this. I have a question/clarification.

When my wife started working last year, bank of Scotland offered her some amount (I think £250 or so, but less than £500) credit for 24hrs. Tho we didn’t use it then as we didn’t want to mess anything up till we are properly settled. We only set up direct debit as we know that will help a bit.

My Questions,

Using bank of Scotland and their daily credit also will help improve one’s credit score right?

And also I believe as time goes on, it will most likely increase in amount as well as validity?

I want to open an account with them and I am believing it will have good benefit since it is the bank of the country.

Please help with your knowledge of bank of Scotland

Bank of Scotland is part of the Lloyd's banking group, which also owns Halifax. They are a good bank. We use BOS for business banking and also have kids savings accounts with Halifax.

The UK government owns the now called (natwest banking group), used to be RBS banking group till about a year ago. Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) is different from Bank of Scotland. (BOS). I also bank personally with RBS.

That said, they both mint Scottish pound sterling as well as Clydesdale bank.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missb50: 6:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Once you head down the writing route, they act more with sense .........

Because they know if it ends up in court/mediation, you would have enough evidence to present...........

Aside writing, also take photos and videos (where necessary)....... wink

This seems to be working o... fingers crossed!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 6:42pm On Jan 28, 2022
Because they operate virtual network business model unlike the likes of EE, Tmobile, O2, 3

mex551:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 7:27pm On Jan 28, 2022
Good evening house, Trust your day is going well.
Please where is the best place to get value for money for exchange from dollar to pounds? Nigeria or Heathrow airport?
Scotland mama and papa, New immigrant alert.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 7:29pm On Jan 28, 2022
Nigeria!!! Someone just complained of the difficulty of getting good rate in UK. Check this page or previous for the post.
Akorkor:
Good evening house, Trust your day is going well.
Please where is the best place to get value for money for exchange from dollar to pounds? Nigeria or Heathrow airport?
Scotland mama and papa, New immigrant alert.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Googledrive12: 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2022
I need small Naira 500 pounds worth. Omopapa mamatukwas show your faces. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 7:40pm On Jan 28, 2022
Please come to DM before landlord pursue us
Googledrive12:
I need small Naira 500 pounds worth. Omopapa mamatukwas show your faces. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 8:22pm On Jan 28, 2022
dupyshoo:
Nigeria!!! Someone just complained of the difficulty of getting good rate in UK. Check this page or previous for the post.
I am asking because I read in part 1 of this thread that Heathrow is the best. Maybe things have changed then. Thanks for your input

(1) (2) (3) ... (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.