Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,730 members, 7,831,328 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (228) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1193812 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:58am On Jan 30, 2022
nwauwa:
What are the options of a single mum resident and living in Nigeria while the baby daddy is resident and citizen of UK and have refused to support the child since birth? He’s employed and takes care of his other children( the reason the Nigerian lady broke up with him was that she found out abt the other children mid way into her pregnancy)
He have not called or sent any kobo since the birth of his son who is 5 yrs now. The lady didn’t stop him or change address or numbers , she is willing for them to co-parent in peace since day 1. His family knows about the lady and the son but have not also been of any financial help to the single mother. They only want to see the son which she tries her best to do video calls, chats often with them cuz they live in different cities

You need a lawyer to advise you about how best to go about seeking child maintenance for your child in this cross-border issue.

Best to start with obtaining legal advice in Nigeria as to what your options are. In theory, you can get a court order for child maintenance in Nigeria, which could be enforced by garnishee (the court orders the deduction of the employee's pay at source, comes through HR), and I am aware that there was some sort of process for trying to enforce that against an expat who had left (long complex process, not sure it succeeded), but speak to a lawyer in Nigeria first.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nwauwa(m): 10:06am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

You need a lawyer to advise you about how best to go about seeking child maintenance for your child in this cross-border issue.

Best to start with obtaining legal advice in Nigeria as to what your options are. In theory, you can get a court order for child maintenance in Nigeria, which could be enforced by garnishee (the court orders the deduction of the employee's pay at source, comes through HR), and I am aware that there was some sort of process for trying to enforce that against an expat who had left (long complex process, not sure it succeeded), but speak to a lawyer in Nigeria first.
thank u. The lady in question is my sister, the guy is well known to all of us cuz they had a lengthy relationship of 5 yrs before they both agreed to Sheba child. I have met with and spoken to him man to man about his son and his absence in his life, he will promise to reach out to my sister, but will not so even me don vex and will not call him again. My sister is working and earns fairly well, but all she makes, goes to the boys upkeep and school. Even the boys family has talked to him but he makes promises to call and will renege. We have not thought of a lawyer in Nigeria but we would try that option now. Thank u
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 10:08am On Jan 30, 2022
Thank you so much for the detailed response.

giselle237:
once parents get their ILR, they could then directly apply for the Uk born child’s citizenship.
fill out the online form called MN1.
The form is pretty straight forward however you need to provide a reference.
Have a look on www.gov.uk of those that can be referees
You will need the following for the online form:
1. How does the applicant know the applicant
2. Referee's date of birth
3. Referee's daytime telephone number
4. Referee's email address
5. Is the referee a British Citizen
6. Current British citizen passport number
You need 2 referees.
The child’s nursery manager can help. The acceptable list of people is long so this should not be a problm. Explain your situation to them and give a print out of the form MN1 and highlight the sections which needs to be filled.
Then transcribe that information from the form to the online application. Submit the application and pay. Check below for fees.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fees-for-citizenship-applications/fees-for-citizenship-applications-and-the-right-of-abode-from-6-april-2018
Also parents will need to upload documents onto the UKVCAS portal - just the essential documents like: child’s birth certificate, their current passport and parents BRPs which mention ILR.
Next book biometricz appointment. Wait for decision letter in post which will state the child is now a British Citizen . This is just the 1st part.

REFEREES examples
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/british-nationals-nationality-policy-guidance
2nd part. This is after successful decision letter.
APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPORT:
Once you have received the citizenship letter, you have to apply for a British passport.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
Unfortunately, you will need a referee again. Good luck
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 10:11am On Jan 30, 2022
Thanks, guys.

dubaiprince:

Based on my understanding, the child is a tier 2 dependant and the process of achieving citizenship status would be in line with the parent.

Estroller:
Not automatically, but the kids can skip the ILR phase and apply for naturalisation as soon as any of their parents gets ILR. You also don't need to include them as your dependants if there are no plans to take them out of the UK untill you or your other half gets ILR.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nwauwa(m): 10:12am On Jan 30, 2022
Also can the lady travel to UK with a visit visa( she has a valid one) and take him to a family court while on tourist visa, is that allowed for visitors in UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:40am On Jan 30, 2022
nwauwa:
Also can the lady travel to UK with a visit visa( she has a valid one) and take him to a family court while on tourist visa, is that allowed for visitors in UK?

No idea.
Again, she can consult a lawyer in the UK to find that out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:42am On Jan 30, 2022
Has anyone noticed cyclists riding in the centre of the road this morning in groups, following the changes to the Highway Code? Hilarious, they're holding up the traffic and having fun.

For those not aware, Highway Code has changed as of yesterday, so familiarize yourselves with the changes.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 10:49am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:
Has anyone noticed cyclists riding in the centre of the road this morning in groups, following the changes to the Highway Code? Hilarious, they're holding up the traffic and having fun.

For those not aware, Highway Code has changed as of yesterday, so familiarize yourselves with the changes.

I think there is a department I govt whose job is to bring ideas to make life more difficult for people. Imagine opening car door with left hand, how are they going to implement/enforce that one.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 10:50am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

So many people are misinterpreting the new rules grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 10:55am On Jan 30, 2022
icon8:

So many people are misinterpreting the new rules grin grin

Doesn't it say cyclists should ride in the center of the road rather than on the side.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 11:05am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Don't worry, it would end in tears for them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 11:08am On Jan 30, 2022
deept:

Doesn't it say cyclists should ride in the center of the road rather than on the side.

It says in the centre of their lane, not in the centre of the road.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 11:09am On Jan 30, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Don't worry, it would end in tears for them.

Hahaha please ooo grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:10am On Jan 30, 2022
nwauwa:

Give a summary of the background..... But a tourist, can definitely seek redress from the judicial system.

The problem the tourist would have is time sensitivity...... How long is left on the tourist visa, if case gets adjourned, timing to file/refile in court, legal fees (depending on complications) etc etc ........

So many factors would require considerations......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:12am On Jan 30, 2022
deept:

I think there is a department I govt whose job is to bring ideas to make life more difficult for people. Imagine opening car door with left hand, how are they going to implement/enforce that one.

This right here.
How do you know what hand one used to open the door if you end up hitting a cyclist riding by? And its the one of giving way to all pedestrians whether they are crossing a junction or not that is madness. So if I see someone standing at a traffic junction quarrelling with their girlfriend I have to stop and wait to see what they are going to do?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:13am On Jan 30, 2022
icon8:

It says in the centre of their lane, not in the centre of the road.

Centre of their lane on the road, correct.

That's what the new rules state and that's what they were doing this morning.
Of course they are supposed to do so only in "slower moving traffic", but that's subjective anyway.
And they're supposed to pull over to allow cars to pass, that that's another scope for madness wink
I just had to park first and laugh it out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 11:15am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Please what is the link or summary of the new code?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:21am On Jan 30, 2022
ukay2:

Please what is the link or summary of the new code?

Thanks

You can never go wrong with a quick googling.
But just this once - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 11:40am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

But just this once - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

Thanks grin

Pedestrian and cyclists are the kings of the road now..

No mind me o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 30, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

I just like how they give pedestrian more rights compared to my village lols.

This no be my wahala since I no dey drive.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nwauwa(m): 12:14pm On Jan 30, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Give a summary of the background..... But a tourist, can definitely seek redress from the judicial system.

The problem the tourist would have is time sensitivity...... How long is left on the tourist visa, if case gets adjourned, timing to file/refile in court, legal fees (depending on complications) etc etc ........

So many factors would require considerations......
She has a valid 5 years visa that she just got last Dec , however she can’t afford to be away for more than 3 weeks at a time.
While doing a search this morning, after posting here, I saw a link and have sent it to her.
As per background, they had a 5-6 yrs relationship, both families know each other, he got his citizenship years ago through service but he’s been out for 3-4 yrs now and is working as a civilian. My sister found out he had 2 other baby mamas while she was pregnant and called off the relationship. Carried the pregnancy, all the bills till date alone She has never called the guy to ask for help and he has not offered any. He is single, but has 2 other children from 2 other women. We are open to all options to get him involved in the boys life:

https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance-if-one-parent-lives-abroad/you-live-abroad
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
Na wa put so much information about your friend on the internet. Hope she gave you permission.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:04pm On Jan 30, 2022
nwauwa:

She has a valid 5 years visa that she just got last Dec , however she can’t afford to be away for more than 3 weeks at a time.
While doing a search this morning, after posting here, I saw a link and have sent it to her.
As per background, they had a 5-6 yrs relationship, both families know each other, he got his citizenship years ago through service but he’s been out for 3-4 yrs now and is working as a civilian. My sister found out he had 2 other baby mamas while she was pregnant and called off the relationship. Carried the pregnancy, all the bills till date alone She has never called the guy to ask for help and he has not offered any. He is single, but has 2 other children from 2 other women. We are open to all options to get him involved in the boys life:

https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance-if-one-parent-lives-abroad/you-live-abroad

She needs to call him and work out an arrangement. Since both families are aware of the situation, why not mediate some kind of welfare for the child ?.....

He might not even be paying CSA for the two kids (he might even have more). Let's assume he is not working and collecting benefits, meaning the Nigerian babymama, cannot squeeze water out of stone ...........

Mediation B4 Litigation...........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:06pm On Jan 30, 2022
Aprokodaughter:
Na wa put so much information about your friend on the internet. Hope she gave you permission.

You know people use 3rd party reference, when it's them that is really feeling the heat .........

It's all an anonymous platform....... All this experiences, adds to people's armoury of knowledge........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You know people use 3rd party reference, when it's them that is really feeling the heat .........

It's all an anonymous platform....... All this experiences, adds to people's armoury of knowledge........ wink

I know lol.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 1:15pm On Jan 30, 2022
Who else is enjoying the sweet battle between the Russian and the Spaniard under the Australian floodlights this sunny Sunday morning?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nwauwa(m): 1:15pm On Jan 30, 2022
Lexusgs430:

She needs to call him and work out an arrangement. Since both families are aware of the situation, why not mediate some kind of welfare for the child ?.....

He might not even be paying CSA for the two kids (he might even have more). Let's assume he is not working and collecting benefits, meaning the Nigerian babymama, cannot squeeze water out of stone ...........

Mediation B4 Litigation...........
He is working
Both families have mediated, promises that he won’t fulfil . I saw and spoke with him late last yr on my trip to London, he promised to call like he always do, still didn’t.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nwauwa(m): 1:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
Aprokodaughter:
My sisters child can be a boy, their relationship can be over 8 years, crown service can be Nevy , army etc. my point is, nothing says the information I puts here is 100% correct as is in real life so scroll on with your sanctimony.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nwauwa(m): 1:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
I have all the information I need now. Thank you to guyfromHR and Lexus460.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 30, 2022
nwauwa:

My sisters child can be a boy, their relationship can be over 8 years, crown service can be Nevy , army etc. my point is, nothing says the information I puts here is 100% correct as is in real life so scroll on with your sanctimony.

If it's not 100% correct why are you making others help your friend think? Don't you think you're derailing the thread and wasting people's time?

I don't think it's nice stressing people over something that never happened.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 1:38pm On Jan 30, 2022
Aprokodaughter:

If it's not 100% correct why are you making others help your friend think? Don't you think you're derailing the thread and wasting people's time?

I don't think it's nice stressing people over something that never happened.

Lol grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:48pm On Jan 30, 2022
icon8:

Hahaha please ooo grin grin grin

Obviously not me lol I don't do road rage. They were already cycling on the sides and they were being killed, now they are doing denge pose in the middle of the road with crazy number of deranged people driving nowadays

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.