Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,783 members, 7,831,525 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (272) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1194089 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 11:00pm On Feb 19, 2022
harwe:
Good Evening guy...

Yesterday i was at Brentwood and had to wait for several hours to get a bus to Chelmsford due to train cancellation. During my stay i noticed some couple of people coming around with cars and delivery boxes picking up food at KFC right infront of the Brentwood Bus Stop.

I keep wondering if its a business...

I am sure it is one for extra cash.. If you have an idea of what it is kindly share..

Will like to know how to get it done and how much the pay is..

Sounds like Uber eats and Justeat

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 11:14pm On Feb 19, 2022
[Are you sure about this? IS there a link on Uk.gov to ascertain this?]

A lot of people don't know this. Tier 4/student and their dependants are council tax exempt. If you have been paying, apply to the council for exemption and money paid will be refunded.[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:16pm On Feb 19, 2022
canadaishome:

Sounds like Uber eats and Justeat

Amazon flex is another avenue for casual flexible income

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 11:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
babajeje123:
Please how much should one budget for a visit visa and what is the procedure?

That visit thing isn't as straight forward as it seem, if you budget 1200, you end up spending double, lol!

You need payslips/P60 form, letter of employment, account statement, utility bill and rent agreement, letter of invitation (should state what you are covering in terms of sponsorship),

Visitors account statement, doc that shows you are related (birth cert if family), pictures, chats or anything else to show relationship (if not family), passport, her ties to d country (husband's consent letter), etc.

When you start filling the form, you could gather more clue as to docs to add

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:04am On Feb 20, 2022
harwe:
Good Evening guy...

Yesterday i was at Brentwood and had to wait for several hours to get a bus to Chelmsford due to train cancellation. During my stay i noticed some couple of people coming around with cars and delivery boxes picking up food at KFC right infront of the Brentwood Bus Stop.

I keep wondering if its a business...

I am sure it is one for extra cash.. If you have an idea of what it is kindly share..

Will like to know how to get it done and how much the pay is..

Uber eats, deliveroo and just eats. ......... I mentioned this some months ago ............ grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by beryour(m): 12:24am On Feb 20, 2022
It is usually not a big deal. There will be time for induction into the team and they might organize trainings for you on their tech tools.

Most time no pressure in the NHS. It will also be beneficial for you to learn SQL and some Excel.

Congrats

obalala:
Thanks... no experience ooo just certification, udemy & google courses.. but the JD looks like something I can handle

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:25am On Feb 20, 2022

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:28am On Feb 20, 2022
Bluetherapy:

Within UK or outside?

Outside UK, from naija

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 12:44am On Feb 20, 2022
tushqueen:

That visit thing isn't as straight forward as it seem, if you budget 1200, you end up spending double, lol!

You need payslips/P60 form, letter of employment, account statement, utility bill and rent agreement, letter of invitation (should state what you are covering in terms of sponsorship),

Visitors account statement, doc that shows you are related (birth cert if family), pictures, chats or anything else to show relationship (if not family), passport, her ties to d country (husband's consent letter), etc.

When you start filling the form, you could gather more clue as to docs to add
Thank you. Pleae, how many months of SOA will one print and what's the minimum account balance that should be maintained?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 2:05am On Feb 20, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Key observations.
The first guy most likely did not use an instructor ("Why I go waste money, I sabi drive already!), or failed to pay attention, because any instructor worth their salt will take you over the driving test route(s) a few times before test day, starting from the test centre itself.

How many hours of driving lessons would you recommend for brush up purposes?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Abisola2021: 5:21am On Feb 20, 2022
HollyMadison:

Download the HMRC app, follow the steps and answer the questions correctly. That’s how I got my NI, I’ve not seen the physical letter till today. You can do a lot with the app.
The hotel called today that they received a package on my behalf, got there and it's my NI. I appreciate every comments and advise. Thanks so much.

Na work remain now, I have building construction background with 4 years experience, and I can function well at any warehouse, distribution and logistics management role. please quote me Incase you've got something. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:39am On Feb 20, 2022
Abisola2021:

The hotel called today that they received a package on my behalf, got there and it's my NI. I appreciate every comments and advise. Thanks so much.

Na work remain now, I have building construction background with 4 years experience, and I can function well at any warehouse, distribution and logistics management role. please quote me Incase you've got something. Thanks.

Work on UK certifications on this experience......... Check Amazon and similar employers .........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 6:55am On Feb 20, 2022
[Ohh now i get looks more like a way of getting extra income around. Thanks for the update ]

Uber eats, deliveroo and just eats. ......... I mentioned this some months ago ............ grin[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 6:56am On Feb 20, 2022
Thank you might just search and check it out..Do you know its disadvantages?

Sounds like Uber eats and Justeat[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pijames: 8:44am On Feb 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

All this transactions never happen face2face, so location is never a barrier........... wink
so I guess you will pay in money to my account first before I transfer right?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:58am On Feb 20, 2022
canadaishome:

That would obviously depend on the individual.
You need a lot of focus to drive here, as un-learning things is more difficult than learning something previously not known.
Getting used to driving on the left is one struggle, overcoming all those reflexes from driving on the right, and getting used to looking out for lane markings and road signs is another - Nigerian roads are unmarked and have no road signs, we just step on the accelerator and go and change lanes as we please, so that's something totally new to learn.

Everyone's different, but as a general rule the more you have to think about, the less likely you are to focus, so bear that in mind each time you get on to the road.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:02am On Feb 20, 2022
Pijames:
so I guess you will pay in money to my account first before I transfer right?

It's the person requesting, that pays first......... grin

Does lemonade credit your account first, before you send them funds ......... wink

Even at nando's, you pay before they serve you ....... tongue

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:06am On Feb 20, 2022
canadaishome:

I only took 5 lessons (manual), but drove illegally for over 8 year's........... shocked

The good old days of producers and database isolation........... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 9:43am On Feb 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I only took 5 lessons (manual), but drove illegally for over 8 year's........... shocked

The good old days of producers and database isolation........... cheesy

Master. What do you say about Ford fiesta 2006 model with 61k mileage? Price is £1500?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:51am On Feb 20, 2022
Temi231:

Master. What do you say about Ford fiesta 2006 model with 61k mileage? Price is £1500?

Madam -:

Have you conducted an HPI check ?....

Have you checked the MOT history reports ?...

Have you conducted a test drive ?......

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 9:51am On Feb 20, 2022
Temi231:

Check if the car has a timing chain or timing belt.

If it has a timing belt, it has already started approaching a pricey repair.

If you get an example of 90k then possibly the timing belt has been fixed so less worries.

NB.
Most cars bought 1500 and below should be bought with driving it for as long as possible. Because next destination might be scrap yard. As it would be too old to sell

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:53am On Feb 20, 2022
umarwy:

Check if the car has a timing chain or timing belt.

If it has a timing belt, it has already started approaching a pricey repair.

If you get an example of 90k then possibly the timing belt has been fixed so less worries.

NB.
Most cars bought 1500 and below should be bought with driving it for as long as possible. Because next destination might be scrap yard. As it would be too old to sell

Before service history, make we conduct first stage analysis ........ cheesy

Timing belt replacement should not exceed £200 (unless it's already snapped)........ tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 10:02am On Feb 20, 2022
canadaishome:

You could book one or two lessons in the first instance, an honest driving instructor will access your driving and give you an honest feedback with an indicative number of lessons required to pass the test.

Note the operating word is honest though, some of them are only interested in your custom and money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:11am On Feb 20, 2022
Peerielass:

You could book one or two lessons in the first instance, an honest driving instructor will access your driving and give you an honest feedback with an indicative number of lessons required to pass the test.

Note the operating word is honest though, some of them are only interested in your custom and money.

My instructor after 5 lessons was adamant, that I was not yet ready for the test (I knew I was fully ready)......

Needless to say, I passed it at first attempt (to my instructors shock and amazement). ..... grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 10:19am On Feb 20, 2022
Temi231:

I’m not a car expert but personally, I wouldn’t go for a 2006 model. You don’t want to buy a car and then end up spending nearly the same amount to get it to pass MOT thereafter. You may also not be able to get breakdown cover for it because it will be more liable to breakdown.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:41am On Feb 20, 2022
Peerielass:

I’m not a car expert but personally, I wouldn’t go for a 2006 model. You don’t want to buy a car and then end up spending nearly the same amount to get it to pass MOT thereafter. You may also not be able to get breakdown cover for it because it will be more liable to breakdown.

In Nigeria, we still have many vehicles from the 90's on the road o. ..... grin

Biko, make madam buy wetin budget cover o ..... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 10:49am On Feb 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

My instructor after 5 lessons was adamant, that I was not yet ready for the test (I knew I was fully ready)......

Needless to say, I passed it at first attempt (to my instructors shock and amazement). ..... grin

Wow! That’s no mean feat. I wasn’t driving in Nigeria so had to learn from scratch. I had over 30 paid lessons plus unpaid lessons with Hubby and neither of them thought I was ready when I went in for the test. I had just had my daughter and my mom was visiting from Naija, she encouraged me to book the test even though hubby and instructor were of contrary opinion. I did and passed on first attempt with three minors to the amazement of both hubby and instructor.
Fast forward 11 years later, I can say it was money well spent although at that time it was draining a hole in my pocket. It gives you freedom and independence especially living in rural Scotland where bus services are few and far between.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 10:56am On Feb 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I actually can buy more new model as I drive a newer model 2018 in Nigeria. But I just want something for a start before finally setting down. We newer version do you advice.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 10:58am On Feb 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Madam -:

Have you conducted an HPI check ?....

Have you checked the MOT history reports ?...

Have you conducted a test drive ?......

With the MOT report as seen on the vendor page it says MOT till September. Not a fan of used cars but it is what it is in this new country to start a life. Still contemplating though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 11:00am On Feb 20, 2022
Peerielass:

So what year would you advice?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 11:10am On Feb 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Haha! Fair point but in Naija it’s a not a legal requirement for a car to be road worthy though.

If she can get a mechanic or someone that knows about cars to test drive the car and check it over before purchasing…..no wahalla.

I do PCH and put the car back after three years. No MOT plus free servicing, gives me peace of mind. I used to buy outright but had a very bad experience with a Kuga since then I use the leasing route.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:11am On Feb 20, 2022
Peerielass:

Wow! That’s no mean feat. I wasn’t driving in Nigeria so had to learn from scratch. I had over 30 paid lessons plus unpaid lessons with Hubby and neither of them thought I was ready when I went in for the test. I had just had my daughter and my mom was visiting from Naija, she encouraged me to book the test even though hubby and instructor were of contrary opinion. I did and passed on first attempt with three minors to the amazement of both hubby and instructor.
Fast forward 11 years later, I can say it was money well spent although at that time it was draining a hole in my pocket. It gives you freedom and independence especially living in rural Scotland where bus services are few and far between.

I also never had any Nigerian driving experience (my parents bluntly refused my request, using their vehicles to practice)......... grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.