Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (274) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1178266 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tushqueen(f): 5:48pm On Feb 20, 2022
babajeje123:

Thank you. Pleae, how many months of SOA will one print and what's the minimum account balance that should be maintained?

I used 1 month statement, there isn't any stated minimum, just ensure you have enough to sponsor the trip in the account, 2-3k might not be bad, just use a good amount to convince them that you can afford it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:49pm On Feb 20, 2022
Bluetherapy:

Abeg you fit give tips?
I get battalions wanting to come. I have peeps with the experience but getting the job na hin remain. Being applying on indeed.
Did the person use a recruitment agency in UK? Or all DIY?

Agent that charges an arm and leg.... not promoting such but saying it as it went

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 6:23pm On Feb 20, 2022
tushqueen:

I used 1 month statement, there isn't any stated minimum, just ensure you have enough to sponsor the trip in the account, 2-3k might not be bad, just use a good amount to convince them that you can afford it.
Wow! Thank you so much for this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:08pm On Feb 20, 2022
babajeje123:

Wow! Thank you so much for this.

One month bank statement is not the norm , print at least 3-6months bank statement that shows your earning history or savings, add the same number of payslips to support the source of your income, you also need to add your tenancy agreement(to show that the person you are inviting has a place to stay) then invitation letter that will explain why you are inviting the person.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 7:45pm On Feb 20, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Agent that charges an arm and leg.... not promoting such but saying it as it went
Appreciate the honesty. That seems to be the norm now to stay ahead of the competition. But it ain't cheap shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 8:25pm On Feb 20, 2022
justwise:

One month bank statement is not the norm , print at least 3-6months bank statement that shows your earning history or savings, add the same number of payslips to support the source of your income, you also need to add your tenancy agreement(to show that the person you are inviting has a place to stay) then invitation letter that will explain why you are inviting the person.
Thanks Justwise. From experience, what reasons do you think would be tenable?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sweetoma: 8:31pm On Feb 20, 2022
harwe:
Public transport ooo but if you have a car its always around 5-15 minutes drive thats schools within your post codes. There is also no school bus...They know how they get the funds back sha...You should also prepare for feeding for the kids its around 2Pounds 50 per day which makes more sense than you preparing a healthy food for the kids....They dont want just rice oo or pasta lol

Lol, okay that’s great. Thanks so much for the info. The 2 pounds 50 per day do you drop it as school each day you drop them off. Or is it something you can pay for in bulk ?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sweetoma: 8:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I think it depends on your council. A friend of mine moved from Glasgow to South Ayrshire Council. Currently the council arranges a taxi to pick her son from school every morning and drop him back after school because she lives more than 2 miles away from his school. The only requirement is that there’s someone at home when he comes back.

She says it was not like that in her previous council, So it depends. Always ask and throughly research with your council.

Thank you, I’ll call them to find out about this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 8:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
sweetoma:

Lol, okay that’s great. Thanks so much for the info. The 2 pounds 50 per day do you drop it as school each day you drop them off. Or is it something you can pay for in bulk ?
there is usually a school app where you pay in and order the type of meal you want, based on their menu for the day
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sweetoma: 8:34pm On Feb 20, 2022
mex551:
there is usually a school app where you pay in and order the type of meal you want, based on their menu for the day

Oh really? That’s great. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:49pm On Feb 20, 2022
Bluetherapy:

Appreciate the honesty. That seems to be the norm now to stay ahead of the competition. But it ain't cheap shocked

Although its called skilled visa its really unskilled and a lot can do care. So the competition and exploitation is high and its a lot of countries fighting for these post .

I have observed that this market is flooded with agents . The Nigerians are worse, we are very bad sha. The ones run by Nigerians are even calling double the price with full chest . It sad sha. We are our problem , not the government..... but I am sure there are free one are out there, however few. Na to keep applying. No venture no success

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 10:11pm On Feb 20, 2022
sweetoma:

Oh really? That’s great. Thanks

I pray your kids like the food. Mine didn't, so I make packed lunch
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 10:44pm On Feb 20, 2022
In addition to this, I got a reputable company that reached out to me running similar training in Histology https://pathologyspheres.com/index.php?/practical_histology_training_course/ be kind enough to mention me so they can give me referral bonus and also give you a discount too. Tanx and “Goblez”
omopapa:
As a biomedical Scientist in the U.K. u don’t necessarily need a cv, all u need is a good profile on trac.jobs which you will be using to make applications. However, if u really need one u can create based on the information on your trac.jobs profile. I can review ur profile for free and help arrange a convincing personal statement to land a job.

Also, I will recommend this training for you https://labmedexpert.com/training/individual-training although it is far from Sheffield but if u can sacrifice to do the training, u can get job almost immediately as a locum staff.

If you were registered with MLSCN in Nigeria, I suggest you start your HCPC registration now and when it’s done you can apply for jobs as HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 11:04pm On Feb 20, 2022
Mamatukwas:

I think it depends on your council. A friend of mine moved from Glasgow to South Ayrshire Council. Currently the council arranges a taxi to pick her son from school every morning and drop him back after school because she lives more than 2 miles away from his school. The only requirement is that there’s someone at home when he comes back.

She says it was not like that in her previous council, So it depends. Always ask and throughly research with your council.

Taxi pickup and drop off every day for just 2miles?? Seems Scotland is the place to be oo, doubt England councils will offer that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 11:21pm On Feb 20, 2022
Storm Franklyn is on its way, as if Dudley and Eunice haven’t done enough. angry embarassed shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 11:23pm On Feb 20, 2022
fatima04:

Taxi pickup and drop off every day for just 2miles?? Seems Scotland is the place to be oo, doubt England councils will offer that.

Scotland sweet die. Only say e dry small but we no too mind grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 11:54pm On Feb 20, 2022
Someone mentioned to me that for kids under 3, childcare/nursery cost is free for parents that work in healthcare.
Biko is this true?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 12:10am On Feb 21, 2022
canadaishome:
Someone mentioned to me that for kids under 3, childcare/nursery cost is free for parents that work in healthcare.
Biko is this true?

Haven’t heard this. I’m only aware that low income earners entitled to public funds (which excludes a lot of us) are eligible to free child care from 2yrs + in Scotland.

With Covid though a lot changed so who knows.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 12:21am On Feb 21, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Although its called skilled visa its really unskilled and a lot can do care. So the competition and exploitation is high and its a lot of countries fighting for these post .

I have observed that this market is flooded with agents . The Nigerians are worse, we are very bad sha. The ones run by Nigerians are even calling double the price with full chest . It sad sha. We are our problem , not the government..... but I am sure there are free one are out there, however few. Na to keep applying. No venture no success
True. The competition no be here. The Nigerian ones I'm guessing are subcontractors which explains the ridiculous prices.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 12:45am On Feb 21, 2022
Please when applying for jobs in my field (HR), Is it necessary to include the support work and retail roles I have done so far or should I just focus on my Previous HR roles in Nigeria. Dont want my Cv to look clumsy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by elisinho(m): 12:57am On Feb 21, 2022
umarwy:

Observations
Lane discipline
Meeting/joining traffic
Cutting corners
Not driving too slow.

This are other critical aspects people from naija use to fail as well.

2 guys that has been driving in naija for years and is currently driving in UK, has failed the twice.

Guy failed

first test in less than 10min. Roundabout going right but was on the wrong lane. Them kuku bring am back to test center.

Second test was the funny one. He used the wrong lane to exit the gate of the test center. So he basically failed in less than 5min. Another guy failed the test doing the same thing that day. Laugh one finish me.
"If you can drive in Lagos you can drive everywhere"

Guy 2
Driving in UK as well for months and with loads of naija experience.

First test switching lanes without proper observations, there was a van oncoming examiner hold steering.

Second test

He no see red traffic light examiner shout stop.

But the light was immediately after a double roundabout. Plus there was a busstop.

But still. Observations lacking in both tests.

Advice for anyone taking the test look mirrors almost as much as you are looking front.

Safe driving is all what the examiner wants to see.

You can fail because of manover unless it's observations related

Watch dgn driving school on YouTube
Watch Ashley Neil.

Try to be calm and you shall pass easy

As hilarious as this is it will come handy thanks

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mellady(f): 1:25am On Feb 21, 2022
Bluetherapy:

True. The competition no be here. The Nigerian ones I'm guessing are subcontractors which explains the ridiculous prices.
Like how much are the charging, it's home office not aware of those agents/companies extorting money from people?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 2:02am On Feb 21, 2022
There is option of free transport in England.
It's mostly people with special needs that take the advantage though and also because a lot of people live within 2 miles from their children schools.

fatima04:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by canadaishome: 3:05am On Feb 21, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Haven’t heard this. I’m only aware that low income earners entitled to public funds (which excludes a lot of us) are eligible to free child care from 2yrs + in Scotland.

With Covid though a lot changed so who knows.

Ok thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:50am On Feb 21, 2022
canadaishome:

Ok thanks

I think some councils offered that to so-called key workers during the pandemic, but now that all restrictions have been lifted, I doubt that is available anymore, at least in England.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by cletz991(m): 8:42am On Feb 21, 2022
Bros I studied medical biochemistry here in Nigeria although I have not been practicing bc am into retail sales in a company.Am I qualified?
omopapa:
In addition to this, I got a reputable company that reached out to me running similar training in Histology https://pathologyspheres.com/index.php?/practical_histology_training_course/ be kind enough to mention me so they can give me referral bonus and also give you a discount too. Tanx and “Goblez”

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 21, 2022
Preshyi:
Please when applying for jobs in my field (HR), Is it necessary to include the support work and retail roles I have done so far or should I just focus on my Previous HR roles in Nigeria. Dont want my Cv to look clumsy.

You will need employment references so if this will be from the support/retail roles, you'd have to include them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zeb04(f): 10:07am On Feb 21, 2022
Hello guys, i am relocating to the Uk. Precisely to Manchester( that is where my office would be)

Are there any surrounding neighborhood you can advise i check out for accommodation for a family of 3?

Secondly my child is 3 years old and would be four by December. Would she be able yo start elementary school.

Thanks for your response. I am still doing my research.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:27am On Feb 21, 2022
Yeah it can help reactivate ur career
cletz991:
Bros I studied medical biochemistry here in Nigeria although I have not been practicing bc am into retail sales in a company.Am I qualified?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Endlessgrace: 11:35am On Feb 21, 2022
zeb04:
Hello guys, i am relocating to the Uk. Precisely to Manchester( that is where my office would be)

Are there any surrounding neighborhood you can advise i check out for accommodation for a family of 3?

Secondly my child is 3 years old and would be four by December. Would she be able yo start elementary school.

You can try Middleton, Ashton, Rochdale or Leigh, all of them have direct buses or trams to Manchester city center.

Your child can only access 15hours/week funding for now and then start reception class in January 2023 when he/she is 4.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2022
As far as I know, not true.
canadaishome:
Biko is this true?

(1) (2) (3) ... (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.