Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,654 members, 7,816,682 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (307) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177682 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:42pm On Mar 08, 2022
So you will rather pay 950 rent than pay 500-600 mortgage?
phyl123:

Stamp duty , solicitors fee and mortgage fees are all lost money if you are keeping the property for lees than 5 years, there is no guarantee that the property will go up in value within 5 years . It also depends on the location of the property.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:43pm On Mar 08, 2022
I have already chosen a side jare and I am PRO mortgage anytime
Lexusgs430:

Oga, I remember many years ago ...... People advised us never to buy a property (that we should just apply for the council the provide us accommodation)......

That buying a property, was financial slavery........

People should do with our information, how they deem fit........

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY ......... cheesy

By the time you refuse to buy, and look back ....... May you be pleased with your decisions.......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 11:44pm On Mar 08, 2022
procky:
What if the cargo company brings it in their name. is there any cargo company that does that?

if you are still in Naija.

Just freeze the oil. Wrap it that morning of your travel with newspaper, and caron, use celotape to tie it well . Put it inside a waterproof and thank me later. I came with 5 litres of oil and another 3 liters. . For the other items excluding Meat, put them in ziploc transparent bags and get it labeled. You are good to go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by congressman101: 11:58pm On Mar 08, 2022
Try anywhereworks.com for remote jobs
Thank me later
Adunnishugar:
Hello house,

Please I need help getting warehouse jobs In Birmingham. I have applied on the job platforms(indeed and the rest). Please if anyone knows an agent I can call kindly assist.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 12:19am On Mar 09, 2022
Bluetherapy:

It's refreshing to know that there's really no right/wrong time to enter the market. Na to just follow the trend and buy when one can afford it.

How is rent money nto dead money? Even if you have your own tenanted property, you're basically breaking even using your profit to pay someone else's mortgage. Or am is there something I'm missing?

Because you need somewhere to live and paying rent is paying for a service like any other service. The fact that someone makes a profit from it is neither here nor there. We can translate that into saying buying food is a waste of money as we'll just shit it out. Not everyone can afford a mortgage even with the best will in the world. I advocate one having their own property somewhere mainly because as immigrants, we would really struggle at retirement. To access the full raft of a state pension (which is peanuts by the way), you would have had to pay 35 years worth of NI. Therefore it is absolutely necessary to have a retirement plan which could be a property (the most difficult asset class to pull money out of as it is not liquid cash) that is paid down somewhere cheap for example or money funneled into shares

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 12:23am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:
[/b]

We are not always financially buoyant. ........ But the mortgage, still gets paid ........

If you can pay rent continuously, you can also pay a mortgage. ...... If things turn, sell the property........ (to sleep under the bridge)....... grin

Hehe you crack me up so much! You would be a hoot at parties! grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:55am On Mar 09, 2022
Ticha:

Hehe you crack me up so much! You would be a hoot at parties! grin

A recluse like me ......... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:56am On Mar 09, 2022
jesmond3945:
does form A work with Monzo or Revolut?

If there’s an IBAN for it and it’s a UK account then it should but please don’t quote me, ask your account officer smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:58am On Mar 09, 2022
omopapa:

It's like constantly buying bits of a cow, rather than buying a whole cow ........... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 1:02am On Mar 09, 2022
procky:
Then how does Nigerian get their red oil. besides the food items are small quantity for personal consumption.

What if the cargo company do home delivery

You can try DHL or air freight.

As for sea, once you have a contraband substance in your container (cargo companies container) OYO for all the contents
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 1:03am On Mar 09, 2022
missb50:

@marylandcakes, @Lexusgs430
Thank you so much for your advice, I dragged the so-called energy supplier to ombudsman as advised.
I stopped calling and started writing!!!...
I received a backdated/updated bill today, reducing my energy bills from over £1,000 to about £200

They were indirectly begging me and facilitated by exit to a domestic supplier, giving an option to be with them till 18th April while placing me on the lowest tariff possible, cheaper than domestic energy suppliers sef, lol.

Thank you again!

This is good news. Well done.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:07am On Mar 09, 2022
procky:
Then how does Nigerian get their red oil. besides the food items are small quantity for personal consumption.

Why not just buy poil from African shops ........ Nah austerity measures or SAP .......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 1:13am On Mar 09, 2022
omopapa:

And how did you come up with these figures?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:14am On Mar 09, 2022
phyl123:

And how did you come up with these figures?

Ok, so you would rather pay £650..... Than pay £329.99...... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrnairaland1(m): 1:18am On Mar 09, 2022
Hello lovelies. I need your opinions here. As a student that entered into the UK and still has 8 months to the end of the program and has a tier 2 Sponsorship offer (at a cost though).
Is it advisable to convert now or convert towards the end of the program? If now, what is the best and safest way to go about it for smooth transitioning from student to sponsored worker. Thanks

Lexusgs430
TheGuyFromHR
Ralphlauren
LagosismyHome
Mamtukwas
STENON
Justwise

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 1:19am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Don't forget, you can insulate older properties too....... cheesy

And which I have already mentioned but to some extent except you are going to tear down the property.

On the other hand, with new buildings the insulation is incorporated into the brick work..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 1:25am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You self grin grin grin

Remember I never said don’t buy property. What I am saying is if you are going to keep it for a very long time then fine, if not, don’t buy because it not worth the stress and it ties you down to an area.

Remember during the crash, renting was cheaper than having a mortgage. It was a renters market..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:35am On Mar 09, 2022
Another real life UK story, happened a few days ago ......

A known hypertensive man, was prescribed medications, to lower his BP levels.........

He did his own research about the prescribed drugs, DR Google informed him that possible side effects, could be weakness of his 3rd leg ........

Rather than returning to his GP, voice his concerns/or switching meds or let's assume his 3rd leg got weak.... Be placed on the magic blue pill, he completely refused to take his meds and not medically voice his concerns.......

He was at the restaurant last week enjoying himself last week, he had a cardiac event, rushed to hospital, after a few days, his life support machine was turned off.......

Not only did his 3rd leg eventually die, he also lost all the functions of all his body parts......... All body parts no longer required by him, body parts might be harvested for others to benefit.........

HEALTH IS WEALTH.......

NB : He also did not see the benefits of having a life assurance policy. They have now opened a go fund me page, towards burial expenses etc etc...... ..

Look after yourselves, nobody else will .........

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:37am On Mar 09, 2022
phyl123:

And which I have already mentioned but to some extent except you are going to tear down the property.

On the other hand, with new buildings the insulation is incorporated into the brick work..

With older properties, holes are created, insulation foams are filled in and insulated ........ And with your loft, insulation pads are placed within......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:40am On Mar 09, 2022
phyl123:

You self grin grin grin

Remember I never said don’t buy property. What I am saying is if you are going to keep it for a very long time then fine, if not, don’t buy because it not worth the stress and it ties you down to an area.

Remember during the crash, renting was cheaper than having a mortgage. It was a renters market..

I witnessed the dot-com crash, my mortgage was still affordable and I pulled through successfully.........

Sold the property afterwards, and ran with my gains ........... wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 1:45am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

A known hypertensive man, was prescribed medications, to lower his BP levels.........

He did his own research about the prescribed drugs, DR Google informed him that possible side effects, could be weakness of his 3rd leg ........

Rather than returning to his GP, voice his concerns/or switching meds or let's assume his 3rd leg got weak.... Be placed on the magic blue pill, he completely refused to take his meds and not medically voice his concerns.......

He was at the restaurant last week enjoying himself last week, he had a cardiac event, rushed to hospital, after a few days, his life support machine was turned off.......

Not only did his 3rd leg eventually die, he also lost all the functions of all his body parts......... All body parts no longer required by him, body parts might be harvested for others to benefit.........

HEALTH IS WEALTH.......

NB : He also did not see the benefits of having a life assurance policy. They have now opened a go fund me page, towards burial expenses etc etc...... ..

Ayemi.

May we not repeat the mistakes of our ancestors
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:02am On Mar 09, 2022
Ticha:

Because you need somewhere to live and paying rent is paying for a service like any other service. The fact that someone makes a profit from it is neither here nor there. We can translate that into saying buying food is a waste of money as we'll just shit it out. Not everyone can afford a mortgage even with the best will in the world. I advocate one having their own property somewhere mainly because as immigrants, we would really struggle at retirement. To access the full raft of a state pension (which is peanuts by the way), you would have had to pay 35 years worth of NI. Therefore it is absolutely necessary to have a retirement plan which could be a property (the most difficult asset class to pull money out of as it is not liquid cash) that is paid down somewhere cheap for example or money funneled into shares

Thanks Ticha..

Getting a good dividend paying stocks is another good way of retirement if one can get good volumes of dividend aristocrat stocks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:05am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

HEALTH IS WEALTH.......

Lol at Dr Google grin

Many have gone and will still go if we refuse to learn from others...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 5:06am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I witnessed the dot-com crash, my mortgage was still affordable and I pulled through successfully.........

Sold the property afterwards, and ran with my gains ........... wink

Why you run with your gains...l was thinking you should keep it as longterm grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:39am On Mar 09, 2022
procky:

They get it from African shops and some Asian shops , there are loads of them across the UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 5:58am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

With older properties, holes are created, insulation foams are filled in and insulated ........ And with your loft, insulation pads are placed within......... wink

Bro Lexus aka uncle Kent smiley

This man have tey in the UK

You are not an immigrant anymore, you are youkay

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:24am On Mar 09, 2022
ukay2:

Why you run with your gains...l was thinking you should keep it as longterm grin

We can't keep them all........

Human wants are unlimited, whilst resources are very limited......... cheesy

Along the way, you make other gains on the path of landlordism.......... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:26am On Mar 09, 2022
ukay2:

Lol at Dr Google grin

Many have gone and will still go if we refuse to learn from others...

Why make your own mistakes, learn from others ....... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 6:36am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

We can't keep them all........

Human wants are unlimited, whilst resources are very limited......... cheesy

Along the way, you make other gains on the path of landlordism.......... cheesy

Quite true Boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by STENON(f): 8:10am On Mar 09, 2022
Goodmorning to everyone.
Please I have a £269 voucher from British airways for cancelled flight and I am happy to sell for £250 as I desperately need the money.
Note : The voucher is for booking direct flight with British Airways to any location.
Please pm me for more details.
Thank you x
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TRAY2(m): 8:27am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Solid like a rock ......... grin
Mine was built in 1933 with lots of character, and I am the third owner, large rooms, with a big garage which i am planning to convert to a studio apartment.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TRAY2(m): 8:36am On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I am paying £222 instead of £650.

(1) (2) (3) ... (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.