Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169157 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 8:48am On Mar 09, 2022
Amarathripple0:

If there’s an IBAN for it and it’s a UK account then it should but please don’t quote me, ask your account officer smiley
it doesn't work. There is no swift code.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:51am On Mar 09, 2022
jesmond3945:
it doesn't work. There is no swift code.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Wise (Transfer Wise) has a Swift Code. That should work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:52am On Mar 09, 2022
TRAY2:

Mine was built in 1933 with lots of character, and I am the third owner, large rooms, with a big garage which i am planning to convert to a studio apartment.

Don't let them hear, here o ..... Biko ........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:55am On Mar 09, 2022
TRAY2:

Mine was built in 1933 with lots of character, and I am the third owner, large rooms, with a big garage which i am planning to convert to a studio apartment.

They said you live like a fish, in an aquarium..... Very cold and you cannot keep warm ......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 10:39am On Mar 09, 2022
I case my rest
phyl123:

And how did you come up with these figures?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by awo666(m): 11:45am On Mar 09, 2022
Please between Lincoln in England and Stirling in Scotland, which place is better for an international student in term of getting part time job and living.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzonma: 11:46am On Mar 09, 2022
Hello good morning everyone,
Please I have been asked by an employer to choose between umbrella and PAYEE payment system
Please which is better?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Babygal4eva(f): 12:07pm On Mar 09, 2022
wonlasewonimi:
Hello people,

Please what is the process to get NI for a new student?

How do people go about paying for 6 months rent in advance? The estate agents I approached are unwiling to listen

Just apply on GOV.UK. keep looking for rooms, i went through a whole lot before finding someone not asking for 6months or all those requirements. try to find direct landlords or housemates. spareroom.uk helped me a lot

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 12:10pm On Mar 09, 2022
mrnairaland1:
Hello lovelies. I need your opinions here. As a student that entered into the UK and still has 8 months to the end of the program and has a tier 2 Sponsorship offer (at a cost though).
Is it advisable to convert now or convert towards the end of the program? If now, what is the best and safest way to go about it for smooth transitioning from student to sponsored worker. Thanks

Lexusgs430
TheGuyFromHR
Ralphlauren
LagosismyHome
Mamtukwas
STENON
Justwise

Sent you a pm bro!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:00pm On Mar 09, 2022
Babygal4eva:

Just apply on GOV.UK. keep looking for rooms, i went through a whole lot before finding someone not asking for 6months or all those requirements. try to find direct landlords or housemates. spareroom.uk helped me a lot

Thanks for the NI info.

As a matter of fact, the accommodation is for a relative with family; that is why I am planning to do the advance rent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:07pm On Mar 09, 2022
Uzonma:
Please I have been asked by an employer to choose between umbrella and PAYEE payment system
Please which is better?

These days it works out to almost be the same tax wise....so look at what other benefits is the umbrella offering and what is coming with the paye to then decide. I would lean towards more on the PAYE payment that is directly with the employer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 1:24pm On Mar 09, 2022
Mamatukwas:
I’ve been trying to hold this to myself but I can’t any longer…. I really really want fresh naija ground nut cry Who can help me please? I’m happy to pay.

The groundnut here tastes like sadness & desperation. Sigh. Just signify and I’ll be in your dm quicker than flash. Or DM me. Thank you.

Here to announce that I just took delivery of super fresh gnuts from Naija. Lagos to Scotland transit time was approximately just < 2 weeks but they are still so fresh! I’m in Heaven grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 2:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
Uzonma:
Please which is better?

I'm guessing this is a contract job offering a day rates? If yes, then ask for a salary illustration from both the umbrella company and whoever administers the Payee system. Compare the take home pay offered and then make your decision.

Based on my experience, you are better off with the umbrella (although they have their charges called "margins" ) when compared to the take home salary being offered by the payee payroll system.

Most agencies have more than one preferred umbrella company, so I'll suggest you ask for salary illustration from all of them before you decide on who to go with.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 2:04pm On Mar 09, 2022
mrnairaland1:
Hello lovelies. I need your opinions here. As a student that entered into the UK and still has 8 months to the end of the program and has a tier 2 Sponsorship offer (at a cost though).
Is it advisable to convert now or convert towards the end of the program? If now, what is the best and safest way to go about it for smooth transitioning from student to sponsored worker. Thanks

Not sure to be honest but I think you can continue your studies with the tier 2 visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2022
Santa2:

The thing is there happen to be a school next to the year 2 kids school, they have spaces but require we send include them on the list of schools with the council as we didn't do this before. Omo, the thing is too complex jare, will have the kid start school on Monday..while we appeal with the council/school for the year 2 school. Transport cost not an issue at all, its the fact that both schools close at the same time, leaving one child to have to wait for a while before pickup, most times its just one parent available for school runs. Thanks for all the pointers

The school next to the school of the year 2 child might be your best option. Based on my experience, such "side by side" schools usually open early and close earlier than the other school (15 to 30mins difference) as this reduces human and vehicular traffic around the school environment and it gives parents with kids at both schools from the same household ample time to pick up and drop off their kids.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2022
AltCtrlDel:

I consulted the oracle's but they have not spoken. Pls how do I get items bought on US websites into the UK without robbing a bank to pay duties?

Lexusgs430

As lexusgs430 has suggested, travel to the US and do all your shopping. Its cheaper than you think. If you travel off peak, you can get return BA flights from London to New York for around £350-£400.

Prior to the pandemic, I would travel to the US at least twice a year for vacation and stock up on casual/office wear. Talk about using one bird to kill two stones. grin My username says it all. You get the best RL outfits for the best prices in the US. grin

If you do not hold a foreign passport, getting a US visa is very easy. You just need to understand the "common" strategy that applies for UK resident applicants.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 3:03pm On Mar 09, 2022
Good Afternoon Everyone.

I am looking for someone in Glasgow who is interested in Accommodation.

3 bed 1 Tiolet
Can only be occupied by 2 Tenant
£700 per month
1 month deposit £700
Total £1400
Tenant 1 available. Already paid £700.
Looking for tenant 2 to pay £700. Monthly rent will later be £350 each

Quite Urgent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 4:06pm On Mar 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:
Another real life UK story, happened a few days ago ......

A known hypertensive man, was prescribed medications, to lower his BP levels.........

He did his own research about the prescribed drugs, DR Google informed him that possible side effects, could be weakness of his 3rd leg ........

Rather than returning to his GP, voice his concerns/or switching meds or let's assume his 3rd leg got weak.... Be placed on the magic blue pill, he completely refused to take his meds and not medically voice his concerns.......

He was at the restaurant last week enjoying himself last week, he had a cardiac event, rushed to hospital, after a few days, his life support machine was turned off.......

Not only did his 3rd leg eventually die, he also lost all the functions of all his body parts......... All body parts no longer required by him, body parts might be harvested for others to benefit.........

HEALTH IS WEALTH.......

NB : He also did not see the benefits of having a life assurance policy. They have now opened a go fund me page, towards burial expenses etc etc...... ..

Look after yourselves, nobody else will .........
Is it not better to die in active service than to live with a weak and wobbly "leg"?
He may be dead but his manhood lives on. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 4:20pm On Mar 09, 2022
Ticha:

Because you need somewhere to live and paying rent is paying for a service like any other service. The fact that someone makes a profit from it is neither here nor there. We can translate that into saying buying food is a waste of money as we'll just shit it out. Not everyone can afford a mortgage even with the best will in the world. I advocate one having their own property somewhere mainly because as immigrants, we would really struggle at retirement. To access the full raft of a state pension (which is peanuts by the way), you would have had to pay 35 years worth of NI. Therefore it is absolutely necessary to have a retirement plan which could be a property (the most difficult asset class to pull money out of as it is not liquid cash) that is paid down somewhere cheap for example or money funneled into shares
I think I understand your point of view.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:35pm On Mar 09, 2022
dustydee:

Is it not better to die in active service than to live with a weak and wobbly "leg"?
He may be dead but his manhood lives on. smiley

I hail you o ........ grin

I would rather 45 more healthy leaving years, with a dead manhood (I have other parts I can use)......... grin

Than kicking a bucket prematurely, 45 years earlier..... tongue

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 5:28pm On Mar 09, 2022
Can you send a DM or contact number please I have someone who’s interested
ybahrbz91:
Good Afternoon Everyone.

I am looking for someone in Glasgow who is interested in Accommodation.

3 bed 1 Tiolet
Can only be occupied by 2 Tenant
£700 per month
1 month deposit £700
Total £1400
Tenant 1 available. Already paid £700.
Looking for tenant 2 to pay £700. Monthly rent will later be £350 each

Quite Urgent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 5:46pm On Mar 09, 2022
Ticha:

Because you need somewhere to live and paying rent is paying for a service like any other service. The fact that someone makes a profit from it is neither here nor there. We can translate that into saying buying food is a waste of money as we'll just shit it out. Not everyone can afford a mortgage even with the best will in the world. I advocate one having their own property somewhere mainly because as immigrants, we would really struggle at retirement. To access the full raft of a state pension (which is peanuts by the way), you would have had to pay 35 years worth of NI. Therefore it is absolutely necessary to have a retirement plan which could be a property (the most difficult asset class to pull money out of as it is not liquid cash) that is paid down somewhere cheap for example or money funneled into shares

Madam, how many months do you think someone can start thinking of buying a house of its own in the Uk. When do you think I can approach a bank and what advantage do someone that already have at least 20% of the deposit for intending house? Thank you always for your insightful advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bonn2007: 6:05pm On Mar 09, 2022
Evening to you guys,

Please I urgently need your opinion and ideas.
Recently my mum flew into Lagos for her Schengen visa Interview, where she handed over her only Identification Card ( International passport).
Unfortunately she doesn't have any other ID card at hand. Will she be able to fly back to her base with only a scan copy of her passport?

Airpeace isn't picking their calls.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ybahrbz91: 6:13pm On Mar 09, 2022
I no sabi DM for this Nairaland

omopapa:
Can you send a DM or contact number please I have someone who’s interested
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 6:25pm On Mar 09, 2022
Please on this contract job, which is better Inside IR35 or Outside?

Also, are wages paid weekly or monthly if one is getting a daily contract job?

Ralphlauren:

I'm guessing this is a contract job offering a day rates? If yes, then ask for a salary illustration from both the umbrella company and whoever administers the Payee system. Compare the take home pay offered and then make your decision.

Based on my experience, you are better off with the umbrella (although they have their charges called "margins" ) when compared to the take home salary being offered by the payee payroll system.

Most agencies have more than one preferred umbrella company, so I'll suggest you ask for salary illustration from all of them before you decide on who to go with.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2022
For those in IT, Please I need leads on where I can get contract jobs specifically on Data Analyst roles

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzonma: 6:37pm On Mar 09, 2022
LagosismyHome:

These days it works out to almost be the same tax wise....so look at what other benefits is the umbrella offering and what is coming with the paye to then decide. I would lean towards more on the PAYE payment that is directly with the employer
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzonma: 6:38pm On Mar 09, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Yes it is
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ralphlauren(m): 8:48pm On Mar 09, 2022
specialenvoy:
Please on this contract job, which is better Inside IR35 or Outside?

Also, are wages paid weekly or monthly if one is getting a daily contract job?

Outside IR35 is better as you are able to claim expenses which means your take home pay is much more depending on your tax arrangements. Eg. Getting paid minimum wage every month and taking a lump dividend payment at the end of the company's financial year.

Regarding the frequency of wage payments, it depends on the recruitment agency. Some pay weekly but majority pay monthly. Some crazy ones have 45-60 days payment policy especially for roles outside IR35.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 9:06pm On Mar 09, 2022
specialenvoy:
For those in IT, Please I need leads on where I can get contract jobs specifically on Data Analyst roles

Thanks

jobserve.com

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 9:09pm On Mar 09, 2022
STENON:
Goodmorning to everyone.
Please I have a £269 voucher from British airways for cancelled flight and I am happy to sell for £250 as I desperately need the money.
Note : The voucher is for booking direct flight with British Airways to any location.
Please pm me for more details.
Thank you x
I PMed you the day you posted it but u did not respond

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.