Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (372) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177744 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humility101: 8:50pm On Apr 08, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Bank account you don't need BRP but you need proof of address

I think you can resume pending BRP, although you NI will be written at the back of brp

How does a newcomer easily get proof of address?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 9:14pm On Apr 08, 2022
humility101:

Rental agreement
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 9:56pm On Apr 08, 2022
humility101:

Rental agreement
Bank letter from school if you're a student
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 10:14pm On Apr 08, 2022
giselle237:
option 1- minivan from the airport straight to your destination from manchester airport
or national express coach that leaves from manchester airport, it’ll go straight to Leeds.
When you get to Leeds, order Uber XL or Bolt XL from leeds bus station to house/hotel.
Avoid train.
Wouldn't they have to pay for luggages more than 2 with national express?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aminlove(m): 12:16am On Apr 09, 2022
Hi Guys, wanna ask how best to change one's money to pounds... Is it advisable to change all to cash in pounds & carry them go to UK or get there before trying to xchange them to pounds.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:19am On Apr 09, 2022
Bluetherapy:

Wouldn't they have to pay for luggages more than 2 with national express?
if there are 5 individuals and 10 bags, it evens out. They wont pay.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:23am On Apr 09, 2022
aminlove:
Hi Guys, wanna ask how best to change one's money to pounds... Is it advisable to change all to cash in pounds & carry them go to UK or get there before trying to xchange them to pounds.
change and carry cash come

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:10am On Apr 09, 2022
chrisemy01:
Would this also be a good option if it's a family of say 5 with 10 big bags/luggages each weighing almost 23k? Or the person should book/hire a mini van that usually contains 8 persons?

Since there are children in the waka... Its best to find a direct flight to Manchester except if you take a minibus transport from Heathrow to destination.

If not, it will extremely stressful because the luggage are so plenty

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:00am On Apr 09, 2022
aminlove:

If it's over £9,999, don't change all ....... Unless you want those cash dogs, to wag their tails upon sighting you ........

If under stated figure,change all...... Ensure you no buy counterfeit currency o ........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 7:46am On Apr 09, 2022
Alexia20:
I just enter UK this week with skilled visa and I will need to resume at my new work place by Monday next week however my BRP is still not ready for collection at the post office .
IS BRP compulsory to resume work and what other options I have as I am eager to start work ASAP.and what about access to health and bank acct opening ,will I need brp as well to do this.

You don't need BRP to open account with most banks and register with NHS. Also you can use the vignette sticker on your passport to resume work pending when your BRP is ready. Employers have a way of getting NI from HMRC via a secured system since you are on a Skilled visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Turla123: 7:51am On Apr 09, 2022
Good morning, pls I urgently need apartment in London/Dartford area, I have been on this for the past one month. Any help pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aminlove(m): 8:01am On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

If it's over £9,999, don't change all ....... Unless you want those cash dogs, to wag their tails upon sighting you ........

If under stated figure,change all...... Ensure you no buy counterfeit currency o ........ wink

Thank you grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 8:03am On Apr 09, 2022
1beat:
I'm presently studying in Uk i can't find job and i have spent all my money on accommodation of resent a friend suggested that I should seek for Asylum in Dublin, Ireland.

Some job requirements is issue ( experience & guarantor in Uk)
Combine studies and work together is another problem ( 4days in a week lectures )
weather condition in Scotland and mental health issue.

Please i need your advice , courage and what to do

You may download "Job and Talent" app on play store or App Store to get signed up for factory works like M&Co, Amazon etc

Or
Download "Florence" app using this link https://florence70d44.referralrock.com/l/1OLOHUNTOYI86?utm_source=flex&utm_medium=invite_link&utm_campaign=RR_program_1 for additional £100 to your when you do your first shift.

Other website to consider is [url]www.indeed. co.uk[/url]

There is also a contact of care agency that can give shift to help you get started but I can't share here. You may send me email for that.

12 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mimzyy(f): 8:22am On Apr 09, 2022
Have you checked the popular renting websites like zoopla,etc?

You can also contact the agents directly. There’s several of them at the town centre (Dartford). Here’s one.

https://www.mcconnellsonline.co.uk/

Turla123:
Good morning, pls I urgently need apartment in London/Dartford area, I have been on this for the past one month. Any help pls

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 10:46am On Apr 09, 2022
gratefulme40:
I am just excited. My mom just got a visitor visa, finally I can get small rest in this UK.

Congrats... please I am planning to apply for visa for my mother in law. Can I use any of her personal bank account or it must a salary account that shows inflow of her earnings?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 10:49am On Apr 09, 2022
humility101:

download monzo bank app immediately. Open account now, and then print your statement. Ensure its funded. That serves as your Proof of Address
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:13am On Apr 09, 2022
aragbaboy:

Congrats... please I am planning to apply for visa for my mother in law. Can I use any of her personal bank account or it must a salary account that shows inflow of her earnings?

Why is everyone only inviting mother in-law's, what happened to father in-law's........... cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 11:16am On Apr 09, 2022
giselle237:
if there are 5 individuals and 10 bags, it evens out. They wont pay.
Yeah right wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IcecoldDon: 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2022
My online family, a wonderful day to you all. I feel so blessed and grateful for all the advice, knowledge, support and help i get from this platform directly and indirectly. My family ( wife and 3 kids) arrived safely to join me in the UK 2 weeks ago, and little by little, we have been acclimatizing and trying to settle down as a family. I have been here since October 2021, but based in Coventry as I am doing my Msc in Coventry University. But I rented a place in Birmingham as I preferred to settle there and my extended family (2 brothers) also live there. The whole process of 'japaing' with the entire family, the mental, physical, emotional and financial stress will be story for another day.

This post is to give accolades to all the elders and everyone who regularly give feedback, responses and information on this thread, which i believe might just be the last genuinely world-class level of goodness and humanity left for nigerians to nigerians who despite being strangers are so good and kind to each other. May God continually bless you on here. There are too many people to mention here who have been towering icons of knowledge and help, to both me and hundreds, requiring information for life changing decision, God will continuously richly bless and keep you and your families.

From my experience, and following the give back culture of the elders of this thread, these a a few of what i learnt that might help other people as well;
1. If a family plans to relocate, It helps a great deal if the husband or wife comes alone first, to try to settle things down in terms of accommodation especially, and other arrangements especially if 2 or more kids are involved. I know this isn't possible for all families, but from my personal experience it helps sooo much especially in terms of cutting down initial expenses and ensuring the best decisions are taking without too much pressure.....e.g kids in winter cold..arrrgh.
2. Try as much as possible that you have family or very close friends in your final destination town. The help of people already settled in a place can be invaluable in terms of all the help they can give. I can testify to this. My brothers saved me over and over, from helping me pick up household items that i bought, to helping me install beds and carry couches, standing as rent guarantor, to doing grocery shopping and helping me set up the house before my family arrived. As much as possible, base decisions on where you have a deep prior relationship, it is very very hard when you do not know anybody.
3. The couple should endeavor to save as much as possible, in terms of the partner in UK as well as the one back in Nigeria. Plans for selling properties and possessions should start early enough and be organized for maximum returns. We started a month early, itemized all the things we would sale in a excel table with predicted prices and actual prices to guide us. You will be surprised how much can be done with Jiji website as well as a page called Declutter, as long as you know how to navigate these platforms. Try to avoid selling or listing things to family and friends, you won't get good prices but rather gift them what you can spare and use social media to sell your stuff.
4. Use scale at home to weigh your luggage before going to the airport to avoid some boxes being rejected due to overload.
5. Utilize all the free websites available in UK and ebay used sections when you arrive. You will be amazed the good deals on offer if you are patient and know just where to look.

These are all i can quickly remember for now. I am fully settled now, done inspection for schools for my barely 6 year old(in 2 weeks) who will join Year1 in April for their third term, and my 3 year old who will be in nursery. We are trying to get a healthcare job for my wife while I try to round up my Msc program and and simultaneously look for a sponsored job ( I am construction project management in case anyone can refer...Lol), so I am just looking forward to the next chapter in my family's life.

Thank you all so much, sorry for the long long post, I am just so grateful to God and all of you...especially those that constantly responded to all my constant questions and inquiries here even when searching for accommodation etc. Lol. Long live this thread.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 1:05pm On Apr 09, 2022
aragbaboy:

I used my mom’s personal account. She no kuku dey employed so no salary account. Whatever she has in her account is dash money from her kids but then, her trip is 100% being sponsored by my sister

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 1:39pm On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Why is everyone only inviting mother in-law's, what happened to father in-law's........... cheesy

smiley grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 1:43pm On Apr 09, 2022
IcecoldDon:
My online family, a wonderful day to you all. I feel so blessed and grateful for all the advice, knowledge, support and help i get from this platform directly and indirectly. My family ( wife and 3 kids) arrived safely to join me in the UK 2 weeks ago, and little by little, we have been acclimatizing and trying to settle down as a family. I have been here since October 2021, but based in Coventry as I am doing my Msc in Coventry University. But I rented a place in Birmingham as I preferred to settle there and my extended family (2 brothers) also live there. The whole process of 'japaing' with the entire family, the mental, physical, emotional and financial stress will be story for another day.

This post is to give accolades to all the elders and everyone who regularly give feedback, responses and information on this thread, which i believe might just be the last genuinely world-class level of goodness and humanity left for nigerians to nigerians who despite being strangers are so good and kind to each other. May God continually bless you on here. There are too many people to mention here who have been towering icons of knowledge and help, to both me and hundreds, requiring information for life changing decision, God will continuously richly bless and keep you and your families.

From my experience, and following the give back culture of the elders of this thread, these a a few of what i learnt that might help other people as well;
1. If a family plans to relocate, It helps a great deal if the husband or wife comes alone first, to try to settle things down in terms of accommodation especially, and other arrangements especially if 2 or more kids are involved. I know this isn't possible for all families, but from my personal experience it helps sooo much especially in terms of cutting down initial expenses and ensuring the best decisions are taking without too much pressure.....e.g kids in winter cold..arrrgh.
2. Try as much as possible that you have family or very close friends in your final destination town. The help of people already settled in a place can be invaluable in terms of all the help they can give. I can testify to this. My brothers saved me over and over, from helping me pick up household items that i bought, to helping me install beds and carry couches, standing as rent guarantor, to doing grocery shopping and helping me set up the house before my family arrived. As much as possible, base decisions on where you have a deep prior relationship, it is very very hard when you do not know anybody.
3. The couple should endeavor to save as much as possible, in terms of the partner in UK as well as the one back in Nigeria. Plans for selling properties and possessions should start early enough and be organized for maximum returns. We started a month early, itemized all the things we would sale in a excel table with predicted prices and actual prices to guide us. You will be surprised how much can be done with Jiji website as well as a page called Declutter, as long as you know how to navigate these platforms. Try to avoid selling or listing things to family and friends, you won't get good prices but rather gift them what you can spare and use social media to sell your stuff.
4. Use scale at home to weigh your luggage before going to the airport to avoid some boxes being rejected due to overload.
5. Utilize all the free websites available in UK and ebay used sections when you arrive. You will be amazed the good deals on offer if you are patient and know just where to look.

These are all i can quickly remember for now. I am fully settled now, done inspection for schools for my barely 6 year old(in 2 weeks) who will join Year1 in April for their third term, and my 3 year old who will be in nursery. We are trying to get a healthcare job for my wife while I try to round up my Msc program and and simultaneously look for a sponsored job ( I am construction project management in case anyone can refer...Lol), so I am just looking forward to the next chapter in my family's life.

Thank you all so much, sorry for the long long post, I am just so grateful to God and all of you...especially those that constantly responded to all my constant questions and inquiries here even when searching for accommodation etc. Lol. Long live this thread.

God bless you and your family.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humblemoi: 1:52pm On Apr 09, 2022
IcecoldDon:

You have done well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluetherapy: 2:07pm On Apr 09, 2022
gratefulme40:
I am just excited. My mom just got a visitor visa, finally I can get small rest in this UK.
Lucky you. Enjoy the few weeks of rest.

Mind if I make some clarifications that might help when I'm applying for mine.

How long did you state that she will be visiting for?
Did she include that she had dependents?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gratefulme40: 2:35pm On Apr 09, 2022
Bluetherapy:

Lucky you. Enjoy the few weeks of rest.

Mind if I make some clarifications that might help when I'm applying for mine.

How long did you state that she will be visiting for?
Did she include that she had dependents?

I stated she’d be staying 2 months
I didn’t include any dependants for her. I wrote 0 for number of dependants

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Akorkor(f): 2:59pm On Apr 09, 2022
Ray7878:

God bless you and your family.

Do you have to quote the whole thread? Run away.......... shocked shocked grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by checkmateman: 4:36pm On Apr 09, 2022
Please which is cheaper to live in terms of rent, food, and within the city transportation between Nottingham, Northampton, Conventry?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 4:46pm On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Lol.... you wetin de na. Make me and madam face our work full time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 4:48pm On Apr 09, 2022
gratefulme40:

I used my mom’s personal account. She no kuku dey employed so no salary account. Whatever she has in her account is dash money from her kids but then, her trip is 100% being sponsored by my sister

Thanks for the response.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 5:16pm On Apr 09, 2022

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 5:45pm On Apr 09, 2022
Akorkor:

Do you have to quote the whole thread? Run away.......... shocked shocked grin grin

Didn’t even think about that lol.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Futureukstudent: 6:00pm On Apr 09, 2022
Hello everyone. please who has applied for a u.s visa in London before and what is the embassy like? I heard they are very strict

(1) (2) (3) ... (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.