Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,827 members, 7,831,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (373) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1194395 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adedapodvirus001(m): 6:13pm On Apr 09, 2022
Good afternoon my people, please can anyone recommend a cheaper car insurance company for holders of international driving license?

The price I'm getting from this comparison websites is killing. The cheapest is charging me 320quids a month ( go girl)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:45pm On Apr 09, 2022
adedapodvirus001:
Good afternoon my people, please can anyone recommend a cheaper car insurance company for holders of international driving license?

The price I'm getting from this comparison websites is killing. The cheapest is charging me 320quids a month ( go girl)

Try Sheila wheels.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2022
IcecoldDon:
My online family, a wonderful day to you all. I feel so blessed and grateful for all the advice, knowledge, support and help i get from this platform directly and indirectly. My family ( wife and 3 kids) arrived safely to join me in the UK 2 weeks ago, and little by little, we have been acclimatizing and trying to settle down as a family. I have been here since October 2021, but based in Coventry as I am doing my Msc in Coventry University. But I rented a place in Birmingham as I preferred to settle there and my extended family (2 brothers) also live there. The whole process of 'japaing' with the entire family, the mental, physical, emotional and financial stress will be story for another day.

Welcome and good luck for the future.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2022
adedapodvirus001:

Where una dey see this kin money sef ....... My renewal premium arrived a few days ago.......

£353.00 (fully comprehensive + NCP + LC)....... For a whole 12 months....... wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 7:15pm On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Where una dey see this kin money sef ....... My renewal premium arrived a few days ago.......

£353.00 (fully comprehensive + NCP + LC)....... For a whole 12 months....... wink

But you’re a UK license holder now… embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed sad

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:40pm On Apr 09, 2022
phyl123:

But you’re a UK license holder now… embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed sad

Plus Lexusgs430 has 40 years of UK driving no claims bonus tongue

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:06pm On Apr 09, 2022
phyl123:

So it's time to switch . . .. . grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:07pm On Apr 09, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Plus Lexusgs430 has 40 years of UK driving no claims bonus tongue

Haba..... . É never reach ....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 8:09pm On Apr 09, 2022
IcecoldDon:
My online family, a wonderful day to you all. I feel so blessed and grateful for all the advice, knowledge, support and help i get from this platform directly and indirectly. My family ( wife and 3 kids) arrived safely to join me in the UK 2 weeks ago, and little by little, we have been acclimatizing and trying to settle down as a family. I have been here since October 2021, but based in Coventry as I am doing my Msc in Coventry University. But I rented a place in Birmingham as I preferred to settle there and my extended family (2 brothers) also live there. The whole process of 'japaing' with the entire family, the mental, physical, emotional and financial stress will be story for another day.

This post is to give accolades to all the elders and everyone who regularly give feedback, responses and information on this thread, which i believe might just be the last genuinely world-class level of goodness and humanity left for nigerians to nigerians who despite being strangers are so good and kind to each other. May God continually bless you on here. There are too many people to mention here who have been towering icons of knowledge and help, to both me and hundreds, requiring information for life changing decision, God will continuously richly bless and keep you and your families.

From my experience, and following the give back culture of the elders of this thread, these a a few of what i learnt that might help other people as well;
1. If a family plans to relocate, It helps a great deal if the husband or wife comes alone first, to try to settle things down in terms of accommodation especially, and other arrangements especially if 2 or more kids are involved. I know this isn't possible for all families, but from my personal experience it helps sooo much especially in terms of cutting down initial expenses and ensuring the best decisions are taking without too much pressure.....e.g kids in winter cold..arrrgh.
2. Try as much as possible that you have family or very close friends in your final destination town. The help of people already settled in a place can be invaluable in terms of all the help they can give. I can testify to this. My brothers saved me over and over, from helping me pick up household items that i bought, to helping me install beds and carry couches, standing as rent guarantor, to doing grocery shopping and helping me......

Congrats... I can relate with what you must have gone through preparing for your family's arrival. I had a similar experience (wife and 3 kids joining 7 months after). Madam no gree me rest lol. Points 1 and 2 are VERY IMPORTANT

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

you sha like to dey pepper us with ds your premium. undecided We know say you be ancient of days tongue
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:35pm On Apr 09, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

you sha like to dey pepper us with ds your premium. undecided We know say you be ancient of days tongue

When I dey japa like Andrew, many years ago ........ Una dey talk say, make I stay to build nigeria...... cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 8:39pm On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

When I dey japa like Andrew, many years ago ........ Una dey talk say, make I stay to build nigeria...... cheesy

Na vision 2020 cause am At least we thank God say dem no dey catch late comer

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 8:40pm On Apr 09, 2022
People of God, Please any link to summer internship would be greatly appreciated. God bless.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 9:19pm On Apr 09, 2022
My elders please I need mortgage advice.

I’m on my 10th month in the UK and I want to use HTB before it ends next year. I’m buying with my husband who’s been here store a bit longer, but one mortgage advisor tried to discourage me based on the fact that I’ve not been in the uk for 12 months yet.

I have plans to contact the mortgage advisor provided by my employer, building societies and my salary bank till I get what I want.

I want to know two things.

1. if this 12months talk is a real thing so that I’ll wait.

2. Anything I can do to lock it in when 12months hits.

Our credit scores are excellent and good and I’m working on mine and it’s very close to excellent.
Any good tips or advice would be greatly utilised and appreciated.

Thank you for all the sweet and harsh advice, I Dey collect all. My people use Nairaland to yab me but this page has helped sooo much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:12pm On Apr 09, 2022
Mine too is about £350. However, when I started driving, it was about £1500 with husby as a named driver.
This is to encourage those that are paying a lot now. It gets better every year!!
Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dupyshoo: 10:20pm On Apr 09, 2022
I dont think there is anything like 12 month rule. However, a lot of lender might ask for 25% deposit or they might not lend. Halifax is usually visa holder friendly. So, you mightwant to startwith Halifax.

Alternatively, you can ask the lender to base the mortgage affordability on your husband's details alone.
There is always a way though.

HollyMadison:

I’m on my 10th month in the UK and I want to use HTB before it ends next year. I’m buying with my husband who’s been here store a bit longer, but one mortgage advisor tried to discourage me based on the fact that I’ve not been in the uk for 12 months yet.

I have plans to contact the mortgage advisor provided by my employer, building societies and my salary bank till I get what I want.

Our credit scores are excellent and good and I’m working on mine and it’s very close to excellent.

Thank you for all the sweet and harsh advice, I Dey collect all. My people use Nairaland to yab me but this page has helped sooo much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:30pm On Apr 09, 2022
HollyMadison:

Speak with another mortgage adviser...... One wey sabi ...... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 11:00pm On Apr 09, 2022
dupyshoo:
I dont think there is anything like 12 month rule. However, a lot of lender might ask for 25% deposit or they might not lend. Halifax is usually visa holder friendly. So, you mightwant to startwith Halifax.

Alternatively, you can ask the lender to base the mortgage affordability on your husband's details alone.
There is always a way though.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 11:01pm On Apr 09, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Speak with another mortgage adviser...... One wey sabi ...... cheesy

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chukusi: 9:59am On Apr 10, 2022
guys i need honest answers.

with the situation of things i rushed out of the country due to the nature of my recruitment for my job so i couldn't do the necessary waka as it relates to introducing my girlfriend to my extended family and then me to hers . i am on tier 2. i want to ask if there is a way she can join up on dependent visa? pending when we can gather enough to get married .weve been together for 3 years.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 10:34am On Apr 10, 2022
chukusi:

with the situation of things i rushed out of the country due to the nature of my recruitment for my job so i couldn't do the necessary waka as it relates to introducing my girlfriend to my extended family and then me to hers . i am on tier 2. i want to ask if there is a way she can join up on dependent visa? pending when we can gather enough to get married .weve been together for 3 years.

Provide evidence that you guys have been living together for at least a year

If she’s financially dependent on you or not, add evidence.

Burden of proof is on you to prove that your partnership is genuine.

I believe wedding in absential( with your picture frame) is still practiced in some parts of Nigeria. Get your certificate n apply.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:18am On Apr 10, 2022
chukusi:

I know my eyesight is getting bad........ Did I read you write this ........

You have been dating for 3 years and neither of you, ever meet you extended families......... grin

Bad guy ....... Just chopping yam in secret ....... grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:19am On Apr 10, 2022
chukusi:

Your Biggest issue is that you have confused MARRIAGE with WEDDING CEREMONY.
You do not need ‘enough money’ to marry her.
If her parents (and village elders) can allow her to ‘Wa-Jo-Ko’ with her to the UK pending ‘WEDDING’ then it means they will have absolutely no problems with you MARRYING her.

My 1 Kobo:
Go to marriage registry in your state. Marry her at the registry. All you need is blessings of her parents and yours. Take a couple of photos with both parents - and as many friends that your small money can afford.
Done! Marriage don set.

What you need for UK application is MARRIAGE not WEDDING certificate.

And yes, I am speaking from Experience.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:23am On Apr 10, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Your Biggest issue is that you have confused MARRIAGE with WEDDING CEREMONY.
You do not need ‘enough money’ to marry her.
If her parents (and village elders) can allow her to ‘Wa-Jo-Ko’ with her to the UK pending ‘WEDDING’ then it means they will have absolutely no problems with you MARRYING her.

My 1 Kobo:
Go to marriage registry in your state. Marry her at the registry. All you need is blessings of her parents and yours. Take a couple of photos with both parents - and as many friends that your small money can afford.
Done! Marriage don set.

What you need for UK application is MARRIAGE not WEDDING certificate.

And yes, I am speaking from Experience.

Before I meet my wives family, we don go secretly do registry marriage........

Unknown to us, one aproko aunty worked at the registry....... Na so alarm burst........ She went to congratulate her family, without even approaching us at the registry (the good old days of 090)......

Una fit imagine the rest ........ cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BouharryArtikou: 11:25am On Apr 10, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I know my eyesight is getting bad........ Did I read you write this ........

You have been dating for 3 years and neither of you, ever meet you extended families......... grin

Bad guy ....... Just chopping yam in secret ....... grin

Hehehe….
And my guy wants to continue to chop-ulate the yam in the UK, without doing the needful.

Like someone above me suggested, kukuma go and do a quickie marriage at the registry. That’s the easiest way.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:31am On Apr 10, 2022
BouharryArtikou:

Hehehe….
And my guy wants to continue to chop-ulate the yam in the UK, without doing the needful.

Like someone above me suggested, kukuma go and do a quickie marriage at the registry. That’s the easiest way.

Chopulating the yam in secret wotowoto, nah hìn dey sweet pass ........... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:38am On Apr 10, 2022
Help help help. Marriage for this UK na scam oh. I worked so hard for 3years, only to look my self in the mirror today. I have gone bald. Help help help!!!

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 11:39am On Apr 10, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You think everyone drives keke marwa abi tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:47am On Apr 10, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

You think everyone drives keke marwa abi tongue

When we see our Oga's, we dey sabi them ....... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:50am On Apr 10, 2022
Shebi na just ur hair dey reverse, u never begin dey see grey hair? Welcome to a new dispensation grin
sgtponzihater1:
Help help help. Marriage for this UK na scam oh. I worked so hard for 3years, only to look my self in the mirror today. I have gone bald. Help help help!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.