Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,113 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (386) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170773 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 7:03am On Apr 17, 2022
Xanderlex:
Hello Everyone. Need advice. I'm into IT working full time 8-4 in manchester. Bills back home and other responsibilities are building up. What other side hussles can one do? I thought of combining this with care jobs (part time from friday night to sunday morning). How feasible is this? Also, referals for part time care jobs within manchester would be helpful.

A beg de rest oo

Demands no de finish

Those you de send money to in naija go forget you if you break down here

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:32am On Apr 17, 2022
Xanderlex:
Hello Everyone. Need advice. I'm into IT working full time 8-4 in manchester. Bills back home and other responsibilities are building up. What other side hussles can one do? I thought of combining this with care jobs (part time from friday night to sunday morning). How feasible is this? Also, referals for part time care jobs within manchester would be helpful.

The day you breakdown, they would simply find another means of survival..........

Are you fully sorted, you now own your own property, have enough savings in the bank, pension plan, life insurance, loads of investments portfolios.........

NEVER BE THE GOD ABROAD, YOUR MONEY WOULD END UP IN BEER PARLOURS AND ON FOLAKE'S FOR THE NIGHT......... cheesy

For your parents, render financial assistance (within reason)..... Others can sling their hook ..... cheesy

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 8:11am On Apr 17, 2022
Lexusgs430:

The day you breakdown, they would simply find another means of survival..........

Are you fully sorted, you now own your own property, have enough savings in the bank, pension plan, life insurance, loads of investments portfolios.........

NEVER BE THE GOD ABROAD, YOUR MONEY WOULD END UP IN BEER PARLOURS AND ON FOLAKE'S FOR THE NIGHT......... cheesy

For your parents, render financial assistance (within reason)..... Others can sling their hook ..... cheesy

Very apt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:30am On Apr 17, 2022
per the underlined, you might want to explore the analytics side of things. You should get a edge with domain knowledge experience over those with IB.
In this era of dynamics of digital transformation, supply chain (and its evolution), the evolving nature of digital technologies (inclusive of digital platforms) brings lotta interesting 'curves'
Ordinarily, one should not be thrown out/down in a world city like London, well ideally!

sholadele4:

Thank you for the valuable insights shared on this platform. Please, what advice do you have for someone like me who is already in the process of coming to study MSc in International Business with Data Analytics? I have 7 years of work experience in HR in Nigeria prior to now. I am also working on horning my data analytics skills through self-study. Are there any prospects? or things I can do to boost my chances?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:47am On Apr 17, 2022
Wanna gaskiya ne. C'est finni. Ọrọ ti tan, but then discourse continues!!!

Lexusgs430:

Magana yakare ......... cheesy

Lexusgs430:

But you agree, some non tested fridge/freezers, AC, tv etc etc
Lasts the true test of time ........ grin
LondonDating:

Yes that's correct but some non testing electric appliances can give you an electric shock too.

LondonDating:

Marriage is a case of shopping in the dark as you do not know what you are getting LONG TERM - similar to buying non testing goods.
Someone once said that for your marriage to work, you have to be prepared that you are marrying 3 or 4 different people rolled into one - as that single partner of yours will change character many times in your marriage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:53am On Apr 17, 2022
Spot on, on all. On 6 et 7, perhaps we say vice-versa.
... Plan, start your retirement from day zero.
LondonDating:

1. Don't claim benefits you are not entitled to from the Govt as it may take 25 years to find out but they probably will and even if they don't you don't want to make a habit of taking what you are not entitled to.
2. Always pay your taxes as tax evasion carries a 5 year prison sentence.
3. The less the number of Nigerian friends you have the better for you.
4. Save, save and save to get a deposit to buy your own house (Mortgage) as all rent is waste and your propert(ies) will serve as a good source of pension and wealth in future.
5. IF you ever need to flog your errant school age pikin, make sure it is on the palm.
6. Not sure if you are a man but if you are, NEVER hit a woman.
7. You can go to prison for 8 years if your wife says get up and you say wait till I finish as from the point you carry on regardless, it is called marital rape.
8. Don't drink and drive or drive withouth insurance as if you hav an accident in such circumstances, you will be jailed. Also do not drive if you have been banned from driving.
9. Don't listen to ANY Nigerian who tries to teach you ways to beat the system (e.g fiddle with your electric meter) or make easy money as any easy money comes with a greater than 50% probability that you will end up in jail.
10. If you have a son in the UK, just know that black boys are picked on by the UK educational system and learn to do your own research / tough love at home and not believe everything negative they say about your son.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 9:11am On Apr 17, 2022
Ironically, so true. Not just UK, practically everywhere (outside 9ja).
One must just roll with like-minded and continually scrutinise. While at it, one must just strive for (personal) upliftment, yet lifting up collectively (without much expectations).

LagosismyHome:

No 3 touch me ooo. I am all about our people raising our people. ... how can we grow if we run away from each other
LondonDating:

Its hard to explain ...
Lexusgs430:

The devil is in the detail (for those without self control)...... grin
leef2022:

Why the bolded pls?
LondonDating:

3. The less the number of Nigerian friends you have the better for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 9:31am On Apr 17, 2022
I greet you all in this section.

I just got into the Uk, manchester to be precise as a JJC with my wife studying masters here and also working.

I need all the survival tips i can get to make it down here. I am IT enthusiast and would like to work in that line. Though, i don't have particular interest as i was a system engineer while in Nigeria as per say we be computer village type of hustler (Jack of all trade in IT). Run Installations and all. Coming down here, i got to know certifications is mostly important in securing a job. I have decided to narrow down to Cyber Security or whichever is with a better pay.

I am open to suggestions and where i can get all these certifications done.

If there are groups to get information to help me kick start my survival mode down here, i don't mind being added.

God bless Us all.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by temple2grace: 9:45am On Apr 17, 2022
My British passport finally arrived last month here in Nigeria. Thanks @ EngrSaks. You encouraged me to push ahead. Thank you. Thanks to the house too. Gracia!

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Seyi0T: 10:45am On Apr 17, 2022
Good morning all and Happy Easter.
Please who has attended HSBC bank interview and what are the likely questions.
Thank you for the swift feedback.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by avalon7(m): 10:50am On Apr 17, 2022
igbsam:
I greet you all in this section.

I just got into the Uk, manchester to be precise as a JJC with my wife studying masters here and also working.

I need all the survival tips i can get to make it down here. I am IT enthusiast and would like to work in that line. Though, i don't have particular interest as i was a system engineer while in Nigeria as per say we be computer village type of hustler (Jack of all trade in IT). Run Installations and all. Coming down here, i got to know certifications is mostly important in securing a job. I have decided to narrow down to Cyber Security or whichever is with a better pay.

I am open to suggestions and where i can get all these certifications done.

If there are groups to get information to help me kick start my survival mode down here, i don't mind being added.

God bless Us all.

I think you now need a license to be in the cyber security field but I'm not totally sure. I would advise that you go for something easier, you can try data analytics or front end web dev or any other IT path were the requirements for getting a job aren't so high
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 17, 2022
ritzzybaron:
I don’t know why I’m just seeing this. You are a lifesaver, thank you very much penury.smiley I’ll send you an email if I need help. Cheers

Pls I send a pm, I have a few questions concerning ysju
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2022
avalon7:

I think you now need a license to be in the cyber security field but I'm not totally sure. I would advise that you go for something easier, you can try data analytics or front end web dev or any other IT path were the requirements for getting a job aren't so high

Thank you so much. I am open to options to make a living down here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:20pm On Apr 17, 2022
Hello Chairmen, Women and Ancestors

Happy Easter to everyone

I do have some funny property questions

Let's assume I have £60K which ideally can pay for 2 properties at £30K each

Will it make sense to

1- buy 2 different properties at the same time or

2 - put the £60K in one and then refinance later?

3 - Can mortgage be paid using credit cards? If yes, does it make sense to spend more than the 20 - 30% recommended on cc's per month?

Which one saves more money and makes the most sense at a latter date

I'm just curious and thinking ahead in this case

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 12:21pm On Apr 17, 2022
avalon7:

For some jobs, I think clearance may be needed

Most will require said person to have spent a number of years in the UK, be a citizen or have ILR

More information can be checked online Sha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ajibolaoi: 12:46pm On Apr 17, 2022
Good day great people, kudos to everyone. I'm new here and I am planning to come to UK soon on a dependant visa. I hold a Master degree in Animal Science with 8 years of experience in general Agriculture and majorly in Animal Science. My question is do i have a chance of getting job in my field or related field to my discipline. Also what else do you think i can do to secure better opportunity in Agricultural field..... better still, you can tell me if their is Job prospect in UK for my discipline or i need to divert.

Thank you all.

[Quote author=igbsam post=112023307]

Thank you so much. I am open to options to make a living down here. [/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:53pm On Apr 17, 2022
hustla:
Hello Chairmen, Women and Ancestors

Happy Easter to everyone

I do have some funny property questions

Let's assume I have £60K which ideally can pay for 2 properties at £30K each

Will it make sense to

1- buy 2 different properties at the same time or

2 - put the £60K in one and then refinance later?

3 - Can mortgage be paid using credit cards? If yes, does it make sense to spend more than the 20 - 30% recommended on cc's per month?

Which one saves more money and makes the most sense at a latter date

I'm just curious and thinking ahead in this case

Thanks!

No mortgage provider would accept cc, in making mortgage payments........

Going by your hypothetical example (maybe in 80's). If the property was only worth £30K, why pay £30K more .......

Best to buy 2 and release equity later (hoping a sizeable equity is already added)........ Remember, equity release is not free money, it's a secured debt....

Start by buying one property, and wake up from this dream........... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 1:57pm On Apr 17, 2022
Xanderlex:
Not sure what visa you're on, but if you're on a skilled worker visa, make sure your second job is on the same shortage occupation code as the first
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 2:00pm On Apr 17, 2022
Good day all,

Please for someone that came to the UK on a visit visa and was returned back to Nigeria from the entry border at the airport with the visit visa cancelled, does this mean a ban for the person? If yes, how many years?

The document given to the person at the airport does not mention anything on the ban, just want to check if anyone has experience with such a thing

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2022
Cybersecurity has become a slap it all for 'all' things security (information security). One thing I can say is the more you go deep, the deeper it becomes; needing varying skillsets to navigate.
Though you might not need a licence, in the true sense of it, however, you'll soon discover this thing the call security clearance. The more you look, the more you see different shades of 'em. They quickly become a stumbling block.
PS: talking of licence, the UK national cybersecurity strategy is seemly moving in that direction. The NCSC is not far-off

1.0 Look out for BCS, become a member and work things from there.
2.0 Get on board the CISSP bandwagon, starting with the CCSA (if that's what it's still called).
2.1Whilst at it, detour to ISACA for certification in CSX certifications, starting with cybersecurity fundamental, then CSX Foundation. Then, shoot for ISACA CSX Practitioner and (ISC)2 CISSP in one go.
I recommend this based on your 'profile', you've sketched. We've all been through the 'computer village'. At times, there's no other foundational grounding! That's discourse for another day.

In btw, you might want to go the networking route, then your path, though not strictly, would drift along the CCNA (or variants), CCNA security. However, ain't no stopping into CCIE.

By the way, there's this craze for data analytics/science/engineer. Maybe, might get your foot in the door faster than the two above. Dunno? However, the Python for data analytics is also essention for Networking these days.
Lemme step aside and allow the landlords speak to your matter. They have the insightfully insights.

avalon7:

igbsam:
... I am IT enthusiast and would like to work in that line. Though, i don't have particular interest as i was a system engineer while in Nigeria as per say we be computer village type of hustler (Jack of all trade in IT). Run Installations and all. Coming down here, i got to know certifications is mostly important in securing a job. I have decided to narrow down to Cyber Security ...

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 3:26pm On Apr 17, 2022
specialenvoy:
Good day all,

Please for someone that came to the UK on a visit visa and was returned back to Nigeria from the entry border at the airport with the visit visa cancelled, does this mean a ban for the person? If yes, how many years?

The document given to the person at the airport does not mention anything on the ban, just want to check if anyone has experience with such a thing

Thank you

…the document must have mentioned EGG-ZAKLY the reason for refusal of entry.

When the person is completing a visa application next time there will be a question thus:

Have you ever been denied entry into the UK at the port of entry?
If No. good for you.

If yes……
When were you denied?
What was the reason?

And the ECO will then make a decision on whether or not the person deserves a second chance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 4:17pm On Apr 17, 2022
The reason for the denial was that the information the person filled in on the visa application form is different from the answers given at the border when interviewed.

But the document didn't mention any ban, only mention that the visit visa was cancelled. Can the person contact the home office to know if there is a ban? This would guide the person in future applications

BorisJohnson:

…the document must have mentioned EGG-ZAKLY the reason for refusal of entry.

When the person is completing a visa application next time there will be a question thus:

Have you ever been denied entry into the UK at the port of entry?
If No. good for you.

If yes……
When were you denied?
What was the reason?

And the ECO will then make a decision on whether or not the person deserves a second chance.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 5:13pm On Apr 17, 2022
hustla:

For some jobs, I think clearance may be needed

Most will require said person to have spent a number of years in the UK, be a citizen or have ILR

More information can be checked online Sha

This is true. I was told that some license might be needed when you choose to work in some section of IT. Though not all employers requires such, but most of them do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:17pm On Apr 17, 2022
igbsam:

This is true. I was told that some license might be needed when you choose to work in some section of IT. Though not all employers requires such, but most of them do

I believe it depends on the type of job and sensitivity

Its a clearance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by igbsam(m): 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2022
semmyk:
Cybersecurity has become a slap it all for 'all' things security (information security). One thing I can say is the more you go deep, the deeper it becomes; needing varying skillsets to navigate.
Though you might not need a [u]licence[/i], in the true sense of it, however, you'll soon discover this thing the call security clearance. The more you look, the more you see different shades of 'em. They quickly become a stumbling block.
PS: talking of licence, the UK national cybersecurity strategy is seemly moving in that direction. The NCSC is not far-off

1.0 Look out for BCS, become a member and work things from there.
2.0 Get on board the CISSP bandwagon, starting with the CCSA (if that's what it's still called).
2.1Whilst at it, detour to ISACA for certification in CSX certifications, starting with cybersecurity fundamental, then CSX Foundation. Then, shoot for ISACA CSX Practitioner and (ISC)2 CISSP in one go.
I recommend this based on your 'profile', you've sketched. We've all been through the 'computer village'. At times, there's no other foundational grounding! That's discourse for another day.

In btw, you might want to go the networking route, then your path, though not strictly, would drift along the CCNA (or variants), CCNA security. However, ain't no stopping into CCIE.

By the way, there's this craze for data analytics/science/engineer. Maybe, might get your foot in the door faster than the two above. Dunno? However, the Python for data analytics is also essention for Networking these days.
Lemme step aside and allow the landlords speak to your matter. They have the insightfully insights.

This is quite interesting and an eye opener. Data Analytics like you mentioned is like the craze everywhere. I think you just awakened me to this area. I need to start brushing up on this while i await my NI. Make i go dey gather materials. |If anything to help a beginner like myself, i go appreciate am o. If anyone got more takes on what semmyk said, please help us wey be JJC for this land o.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2022
Lexusgs430:

No mortgage provider would accept cc, in making mortgage payments........

Going by your hypothetical example (maybe in 80's). If the property was only worth £30K, why pay £30K more .......

Best to buy 2 and release equity later (hoping a sizeable equity is already added)........ Remember, equity release is not free money, it's a secured debt....

Start by buying one property, and wake up from this dream........... grin

No, I mean both properties are worth say 300K each, with 30K as down-payment

I'm Allowed to dream naw grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LondonDating: 5:22pm On Apr 17, 2022
bola01234:

Anywhere with crocker fish..babacued ones ?

Depending on where you live you can try a Ghanaian Fish bar called Ammas Fare (that is reported to have the best fish in South London) at The Castle Tavern, Woolwich 179 Powis St, London SE18 6JL or any of the 7 Enish branches at Lewisham, Finchley Rd, Croydon, Ilford, Brixton, Old Kent Rd, Camberwell or even Dubai, 805 restaurant Old Kent Rd, C's Bar Blackheath (they have the best Jollof rice) or A2 Catford

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 5:36pm On Apr 17, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I appreciate this. Paying mortgage for a property back in naija and having my first kid on the way soon. Partner works with NHS but soon going on maternity. Just don't wanna be caught slacking.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 5:40pm On Apr 17, 2022
kode12:

Not sure what visa you're on, but if you're on a skilled worker visa, make sure your second job is on the same shortage occupation code as the first
Dependent Visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LondonDating: 5:44pm On Apr 17, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LondonDating: 5:50pm On Apr 17, 2022
Xanderlex:
I'm into IT working full time 8-4 in manchester. I thought of combining this with care jobs (part time from friday night to sunday morning) . How feasible is this?

It is possible but not feasible or sustainable long term to work in a demanding and brain taxing 40 hr IT job and then add another heavy lifting 36 hour care work shift on top of that making a total of 76 hours a week.

Bros, you can only do what you can afford for those back home as you are not anyone's saviour.

Don't age or die young or suffer a nervous breakdown because you will not get enough sleep with this extra 36 hours on top of your normal 40 hours and if God forbid you have a nervous breakdown due to lack of sleep and can't do any of the 2 jobs again and hence have no income, those at home will still survive and some of them may even mock you in your predicament.

Do your best and leave the rest as you are not made of stone but of flesh which can breakdown if you put excessive demands on it

Your sleep is an important way to combat stress and this your 76 hour per week work plan is not health friendly plus as a man do you really want to delve into the murky world of care work ??

Don't burn the candle at both ends as your health and peace of mind will most likely suffer as a result.

Allow yourself to recover from the 40 hour IT shift in peace instead of loading another 36 hour care work onto it and manage whatever the 40 hours gives you and remember that you are not father christmas and the people back home don't have a clue the stresses you may be facing at work, so do whatever you can afford for them and don't let them push you to overwork yourself in order to meet their insatiable appetite for cash gifts as you are not a Government Social Security center that hands out cash benefits.

A distant relative in Naija sent me a text last month of his sons impending marriage on 8 April and I just ignored the texts and missed calls as I did not want him to make a habit of turning me into an ATM just because my brother gave him my number behind my back in Dec and he asked me for money then and I sent him 40k in Dec and now he is asking me for money for his sons wedding and this is a distant relative I had not seen for more than 30 years until I went home for my Dad's funeral in 2020.

One thing I respect Oyinbo (English) people for is that their families place no financial demands on them even if one of them is poor and the other rich.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 6:22pm On Apr 17, 2022
Seyi0T:
Good morning all and Happy Easter.
Please who has attended HSBC bank interview and what are the likely questions.
Thank you for the swift feedback.
What are the benefits of an IPO?
What is normal distribution? Why is it called so? Given an example to support your explanation.

These are some questions from glasssdoor. Head there for more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.