Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,110 members, 7,828,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (389) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191587 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:52am On Apr 19, 2022
LondonDating:

It's a more draconian stance along the lines of Theresa May's policy of (making the UK Inhospitable for illegal immigrants) and the major problem I have with the Rwandan policy is the fact that the Rwandan Govt may think they are getting free money from the UK Govt in return but how many dangerous criminals from Eastern Europe will end up in Rwanda and cause trouble all over Africa.

The Rwandan President probably doesn't know the number of dangerous criminals in Europe who daily try to escape from one European country or the other into Britain ??

The Rwandan President is advised to look at the following list of European and Non European hardened criminals some of who have escaped from their own home countries and are still escaping into the UK and maybe he will have a rethink - https://eumostwanted.eu/

Rwandan President probably does not know that on the above Europol wanted list (similar to America's Interpol) is a female named Zámečníková Eva who is wanted for attempted assassination in her home country of Slovak Republic and the Rwandan President may think that all Europeans have clean records and can not be criminals. he will be shocked.

What happens if the fugitives on the above Europol list claim asylum in the UK and are immediately sent to Rwanda and these are dangerous criminals if you look at the faces and crimes they committed on the above list.

I just hope the British are not again playing on the naivety and laziness of African leaders when it comes to doing their own personal research as the Brits may intentionally see this Rwanda policy as a way of dumping dangerous criminals in Africa as it serves 2 purposes for the Brits - 1. They can report falling numbers of illegal immigrants (an election winner in Britain for any political party) and 2. If dangerous criminals are dumped in Africa, crime will drop in the UK and it will go up in Africa.

Which Eastern European country need a visa to the UK or will enter the UK through the channel?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 5:54am On Apr 19, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

They no fit sell Nigeria to the media as a safe country, unfortunately.
That £120m would have propped up the naira exchange rate a little so I can extract the rest of my funds from Naija.

turning the migrants to Nigerian princes should be the USP cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Xanderlex: 6:24am On Apr 19, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Basically all those places like Chorlton, Longsight, Rusholme, Cheetham, Whalley Range, etc.
It's always interesting to walk down Oxford Road past the hospitals and I get the feeling there is an imaginary boundary of sorts after you pass the park and it seems as if you have just crossed from England into Asia.

Oldham is another matter altogether, it's just Bradford.
Omo the cheetham Hill own is something else. Cheetham Hill is to Asians/arabs as Moston lane is to naija. The average uk native believes in driving a small hatchback or golf but most of the flashy posh cars I see are Arabs/Asians. You then wonder, what are we as blacks not doing well abi isn't it same gas or diesel prices for all?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 8:27am On Apr 19, 2022
Most blacks come with bunch of responsibilities we keep attending to back home while those asians/arab will rather find a way for the ones they left at home to come hustle for them selves.
That way it is easier for them to acquire properties and rent out to the blacks.
remember not all flashy cars are fully paid for.

Xanderlex:

Omo the cheetham Hill own is something else. Cheetham Hill is to Asians/arabs as Moston lane is to naija. The average uk native believes in driving a small hatchback or golf but most of the flashy posh cars I see are Arabs/Asians. You then wonder, what are we as blacks not doing well abi isn't it same gas or diesel prices for all?

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 9:19am On Apr 19, 2022

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 11:41am On Apr 19, 2022
jesmond3945:
there is no problem with the policy but why Rwanda? Why not some island?

Rwanda is one of the best African countries to live in at the moment, its clean peaceful and has good governance with loads of infrastructure. You will be amazed at the number of foreigners living there.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Rubyventures: 11:54am On Apr 19, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Why must it not be Africa...

Thank you.. kiss kiss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by walesho(m): 12:31pm On Apr 19, 2022
Xanderlex:

I pass this routes wella, you are right. But I believe the Asians as a community help each other in terms of financial needs and documentation issues. Unlike we blacks we love to look down on our fellow man and dont want anyone to get or compete with them

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 1:10pm On Apr 19, 2022
i have seen a lot of blacks so quick to pull out the race card.. sometimes, one has to remove that psychological race card mentality to every scenario and thing in one's life..

Seen it in many ways..

One went to the store with a hoodie, and a security guard (black sometimes too) followed him around... he quickly pulled the race card

One spoke to a lady, and she didn't reply him; He told me she was acting racist.. only for her friend to come in speaking french.. apparently she was French and didn't speak English.. if her friend didn't come into the building, he would have left thinking she was racist

I won't be surprised if the person in the earlier story posted about visa being canceled based on not knowing what event he/she came for says it was due to racism...

Very very poor mentality.. Racism exists, Yes, but don't let it influence everything you experience..

The 'funniest' nigerians are the tribalistic ones that curse out on racism.. Tribalism is even worse.. .same skin.. same nationality.. same national flag.. yet you don't want to associate with them.. smh

claremont:

A racist policy. If a Ukrainian came by boat from France, would they send the Ukrainian to Rwanda? Why is it just black and brown people they send to Rwanda?!

I and many immigrants in the UK are economic migrants. The only difference between us and the refugees crossing the channel is simply sheer luck. We were lucky to come in via the boat of university migration, and we were lucky to have the funds to pay tuition fees, visa etc.

If a book was written about the sheer hypocrisy of a small minority of black and brown people speaking/acting against black and brown refugees escaping their countries to seek a better life in the UK, that book will be a best seller.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2022
profemebee:
i have seen a lot of blacks so quick to pull out the race card.. sometimes, one has to remove that psychological race card mentality to every scenario and thing in one's life..

Seen it in many ways..

One went to the store with a hoodie, and a security guard (black sometimes too) followed him around... he quickly pulled the race card

One spoke to a lady, and she didn't reply him; He told me she was acting racist.. only for her friend to come in speaking french.. apparently she was French and didn't speak English.. if her friend didn't come into the building, he would have left thinking she was racist

I won't be surprised if the person in the earlier story posted about visa being canceled based on not knowing what event he/she came for says it was due to racism...

Very very poor mentality.. Racism exists, Yes, but don't let it influence everything you experience..

The 'funniest' nigerians are the tribalistic ones that curse out on racism.. Tribalism is even worse.. .same skin.. same nationality.. same national flag.. yet you don't want to associate with them.. smh

A white guy might just be experiencing a bad day and just unintentionally lash out at you.

It doesn’t make him racist.

It’s a very thin line. Like someone mentioned here earlier, once you wield the race card, you’ll see every action of a non black person as racist.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:39pm On Apr 19, 2022
walesho:

I pass this routes wella, you are right. But I believe the Asians as a community help each other in terms of financial needs and documentation issues. Unlike we blacks we love to look down on our fellow man and dont want anyone to get or compete with them

I don't agree with this ooo. I think a lot of Nigerians abroad are forever helping those back home. Do we really only just look down on our fellow men

According to the World Bank data, in 2018, the Nigerian Diaspora remittance was $24.31bn; in 2019, it was $23.81bn; and in 2020, it was $17.21bn.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by connectgt: 4:43pm On Apr 19, 2022
Are there job opportunities there too?
Opportunities and means of livelihood is the brain behind any relocations.

quote author=Rubyventures post=112083208]

Rwanda is one of the best African countries to live in at the moment, its clean peaceful and has good governance with loads of infrastructure. You will be amazed at the number of foreigners living there.[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 4:51pm On Apr 19, 2022
profemebee:

Seen it in many ways..

see my brother when I see racism. I know it is racism. When I went to answer a call, the resident on hearing my voice refuse to open the door and specifically told me he wanted my white colleague or is it the petty politics in the workplace. if you do a minor offence it is escalated even when your white colleague does the same. Even a resident retorted out you foreigners, even said that I am not civilized because I rang the door twice. Or is it situations were they said I steal stuff from the fridge in the staff room. In all these cases I am always positive and laugh over it.
However, the problem I have with my fellow Nigerians is that we downplay these experiences instead of wrapping our arms around our brothers and sisters. We say you are pulling the racial card. Many people pass through a lot but they are always positive.
Due to this letdown, many blacks don't want to relate with each other, when your own kind fails to understand or stand with you. Maybe our british citizenship and our white colleagues are making us look the other way. The black community needs to wake up.

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Why must it not be Africa...
even the health minister of scotland disagrees with you https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/1514510417120354304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 5:54pm On Apr 19, 2022
Good afternoon

Can someone recommend a good , easy to use and credible plagiarism checker that is in the same class or a bit lower than turnitin. Whether free or paid. Someone recommended Outwrite but it does not generate a report on the essay directly so you know where to correct.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 6:18pm On Apr 19, 2022
Someone argued that this was influenced by yahoo business cheesy
LagosismyHome:

I don't agree with this ooo. I think a lot of Nigerians abroad are forever helping those back home. Do we really only just look down on our fellow men

According to the World Bank data, in 2018, the Nigerian Diaspora remittance was $24.31bn; in 2019, it was $23.81bn; and in 2020, it was $17.21bn.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 6:22pm On Apr 19, 2022
Did you see how much their govt invested to have visitRwanda crested on the arm of Arsenal jersey? It’s yielding profit
Rubyventures:

Rwanda is one of the best African countries to live in at the moment, its clean peaceful and has good governance with loads of infrastructure. You will be amazed at the number of foreigners living there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zeb04(f): 6:52pm On Apr 19, 2022
Dear all, please how long does it take to get certificate of sponsorship from an employer?

It is over 2 weeks i got my offer letter and i keep sending follow up emails for my COS letter.

According to my offer letter, my resumption to work is 4th may but till today no COS letter. I have prayed all the prayers i know how to pray.

I am just getting frustrated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:54pm On Apr 19, 2022
jesmond3945:
see my brother when I see racism. I know it is racism. When I went to answer a call, the resident on hearing my voice refuse to open the door and specifically told me he wanted my white colleague or is it the petty politics in the workplace. if you do a minor offence it is escalated even when your white colleague does the same. Even a resident retorted out you foreigners, even said that I am not civilized because I rang the door twice. Or is it situations were they said I steal stuff from the fridge in the staff room. In all these cases I am always positive and laugh over it.
However, the problem I have with my fellow Nigerians is that we downplay these experiences instead of wrapping our arms around our brothers and sisters. We say you are pulling the racial card. Many people pass through a lot but they are always positive.
Due to this letdown, many blacks don't want to relate with each other, when your own kind fails to understand or stand with you. Maybe our british citizenship and our white colleagues are making us look the other way. The black community needs to wake up.

1. Racism is a fact of life in the world we live in, which is not our own, no matter how many red, abi blue passports one gets.

2. "Downplaying" is relative. I have experienced racism in the workplace in a couple of identifiable instances, and possibly in a couple of other instances where I received treatment which may, as the other poster pointed out, be due to someone having a bad day, or others received the same treatment, or it was indeed racism. There is a) discriminatory treatment that can be proven and there are laws and regulations to deal with that, if one has the energy to go through with the process and the detriment is bad enough and the redress good enough. Otherwise, b) discrimination in hearts and minds which cannot be proven just has to be borne and lived with (landlord doesnt rent a house to you, you apply for work and don't get it, etc.). Complaining changes nothing.

Whatever the case, I don't dwell on it, because racism in all its manifestations, housing, employment, general society, is not going to be eradicated from this world. It may reduce, it may not, but in 200 years time, if the world lasts that long, our descendants will still be talking about it. When I moved to the UK (especially having lived here before), I knew what one could possibly face and was ready for it.

So I might fall into your category of people who just ignore when they come across racial discrimination in class b) above. It doesn't make me avoid relating with Africans or people of African descent here - I already avoid Nigerians because they are Nigerians and as such come with plenty of wahala. And I remain positive and ignore a lot of rubbish because if you start thinking too much about things you can't change very soon you will be ticking a box on the HR questionnaire opposite "Currently going through unspecified difficulties affecting work performance". Deal with what you can, and leave the rest.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 7:02pm On Apr 19, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

1. Racism is a fact of life in the world we live in, which is not our own, no matter how many red, abi blue passports one gets.

2. "Downplaying" is relative. I have experienced racism in the workplace in a couple of identifiable instances, and possibly in a couple of other instances where I received treatment which may, as the other poster pointed out, be due to someone having a bad day, or others received the same treatment, or it was indeed racism. There is a) discriminatory treatment that can be proven and there are laws and regulations to deal with that, if one has the energy to go through with the process and the detriment is bad enough and the redress good enough. Otherwise, b) discrimination in hearts and minds which cannot be proven just has to be borne and lived with (landlord doesnt rent a house to you, you apply for work and don't get it, etc.). Complaining changes nothing.

Whatever the case, I don't dwell on it, because racism in all its manifestations, housing, employment, general society, is not going to be eradicated from this world. It may reduce, it may not, but in 200 years time, if the world lasts that long, our descendants will still be talking about it. When I moved to the UK (especially having lived here before), I knew what one could possibly face and was ready for it.

So I might fall into your category of people who just ignore when they come across racial discrimination in class b) above. It doesn't make me avoid relating with Africans or people of African descent here - I already avoid Nigerians because they are Nigerians and as such come with plenty of wahala. And I remain positive and ignore a lot of rubbish because if you start thinking too much about things you can't change very soon you will be ticking a box on the HR questionnaire opposite "Currently going through unspecified difficulties affecting work performance". Deal with what you can, and leave the rest.
well I mentioned that I have no problem with racism, I even laught it off. I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, blacks should always support each other when issues of discrimination are discussed. We should not dismiss it or find a way to blame each other because we have no allies when all is lost is only a black brother that will come to the rescue. Even this thread is a testament to that. You can see Nigerians are good people with their quality advise but would prefer to relate behind the computer than physically.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DrObum(m): 7:44pm On Apr 19, 2022
zeb04:
Dear all, please how long does it take to get certificate of sponsorship from an employer?

It is over 2 weeks i got my offer letter and i keep sending follow up emails for my COS letter.

According to my offer letter, my resumption to work is 4th may but till today no COS letter. I have prayed all the prayers i know how to pray.

In my experience, HR in this country is just Nigerian civil servants with accents.

Just keep the subtle pressure on them.
Good luck.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rexericx(m): 7:53pm On Apr 19, 2022
penurypredator:

Can you try out Aqua and capital one.
I got a phone contract 4 months after I got to the UK and i got Aqua credit card like 14 months after I’ve been here(1yr+). Got Aqua and capital one about the same time. Capital one gave me £200 limit and Aqua gave me £1200 but they’ve recently increased my limit to £2600.
Up till now, clear score doesn’t even display anything as regards to my credit score but this credit karma app works for me.
But the interest rate on my Aqua was like 53% and capital one is like 49% I’m not sure about the exact percentage because I pay my full balance by direct debit so I’m unbothered about the interest rate.
Credit karma kept on displaying that my credit score is excellent and I never paid attention to it until this Amex card came up in the group.
Also I think the app you use to check your credit score might be of help in some way because credit karma was helpful to me and last week, some weird app called “credability” was telling me my score was 214 out of 700 whereas credit karma was saying I had a 640 out of 700.
Sorry it’s a long read but I was worried many months back as well so hopefully this helps in some way.

How do I sign up?

Pls share your link
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 8:09pm On Apr 19, 2022
@omopapa, e b like I need pounds, I get naira. What’s your rate and how do you transact?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by walesho(m): 9:04pm On Apr 19, 2022
LagosismyHome:

I dont mean back home I mean naija to naija abroad
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:53pm On Apr 19, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

So I might fall into your category of people who just ignore when they come across racial discrimination in class b) above. It doesn't make me avoid relating with Africans or people of African descent here - [b]I already avoid Nigerians because they are Nigerians and as such come with plenty of wahala. [/b]And I remain positive and ignore a lot of rubbish because if you start thinking too much about things you can't change very soon you will be ticking a box on the HR questionnaire opposite "Currently going through unspecified difficulties affecting work performance". Deal with what you can, and leave the rest.

Are we really that bad .... I met a lot of wonderful Nigerians here, rarely have I had a bad encounter .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 10:02pm On Apr 19, 2022
Come to the DM sir
Chreze:
@omopapa, e b like I need pounds, I get naira. What’s your rate and how do you transact?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Hwy9: 10:57pm On Apr 19, 2022
zeb04:

It depends on your employer (immigration team). Mine took over a month after providing all necessary documents. Meanwhile, I know someone who got his offer after me with another employer and got his CoS within 72hrs. So just keep following up with them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:15pm On Apr 19, 2022
I never knew searching for information on this thread can be this hard. 45 mins now still can’t find what I’m looking for…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 11:19pm On Apr 19, 2022
jesmond3945:
well I mentioned that I have no problem with racism, I even laught it off. I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, blacks should always support each other when issues of discrimination are discussed. We should not dismiss it or find a way to blame each other because we have no allies when all is lost is only a black brother that will come to the rescue. Even this thread is a testament to that. You can see Nigerians are good people with their quality advise but would prefer to relate behind the computer than physically.

I agree with you. As adults that have been fully formed and immersed in the Nigerian confidence before heading to the UK, it is easy to shrug off and minimise the racism we encounter. The problem is then that we do not fully equip our children and youngsters to deal with what life as a black person in a majority white country gets throws at them from the moment you step foot here. And that is the underlying issue. When people raise concerns about racism, I don't ever minimise it. I listen, offer support or advice as needed. Sometimes, it's not even possible to follow up on it. It doesn't mean we can't validate that person's feeling at that moment in time.

It's very much like the trans issues going on at the moment. The trans movement (supporters of the trans movement) seem to be eradicating women's right and spaces left, right and centre. I support the right of a trans woman to be a woman and my own right as someone who fully identifies as female and a woman to be a woman - I don side track now grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:58am On Apr 20, 2022
omopapa:
I never knew searching for information on this thread can be this hard. 45 mins now still can’t find what I’m looking for…

Tell your people to be calming down .......... wink

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.