Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,897 members, 7,821,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (400) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183018 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 7:58pm On Apr 26, 2022
Come to my DM, I get
obitryce:
Any pounds for sale? Be needing £800 at a good rate?
@Omopapa
@Mamatukwas and Co..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NIKEDEEDS(m): 8:06pm On Apr 26, 2022
obitryce:
Any pounds for sale? Be needing £800 at a good rate?
@Omopapa
@Mamatukwas and Co..

I sent you a pm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:14pm On Apr 26, 2022
Thanks for the insight.

I've taken a couple of courses on Scrum and aced the scrum assessment - 100% consistently...Now I feel ready and confident to take the main exam.

As you noted, junior scrum roles are not quite easy to come by and the major scrum roles require years of experience.

Question: How can one make an entry to the role; are there scrum volunteering opportunities? I've watched a lot of videos on getting started as a new scrum master but they're not detailed.

Please share more insights on making entry to the world of scrum.

Aphrodite007:

The only accepted po certificate is from scrum (because scrum made the term PO) other agile framework adopted it. But if you want to do other courses to get the certification- sure do you.

There’s no acceptable PM body (at least in the Uk), but if you believe the course you’re doing on Udemy will be used by recruiters, sure do you.

Also, PMs are previously very experienced BAs, POs, DMs, Agile Coaches, Prject Mgrs. there is no direct path to PM unless you start as a junior (not many companies employ junior roles).

P.S; in the UK (unlike America) certificates don’t get you a job, experience does. Certificates only give you the knowledge you need to answer interview questions well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adapapaokoye: 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2022
Goodevening
Please i need guidance/advice on this
Thanks
Adapapaokoye:
Goodevening
Please I am confused and need guidance
I want to open a Junior ISA and I am stucked inbetween going to my bank Natwest or opening with Nutmeg

My baby already has his account linked to mine because of his age
Should I leave the money in his account or open a junior ISA for him?

If I decide to go for Nutmeg
Which investment style to use?
I was given the option of
*fully managed
*Smart Alpa
*Socially responsible
*fixed allocation

What is the best option?
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:38pm On Apr 26, 2022
Regex:

But I am not seeing ensuite House for rent in that area.

You mean a room by room let? Burnham is not really set up for HMOs as it's essentially a holiday location. If you drive, you might have to live in Weston Super Mare and commute in. There are buses but it doesn't cater well for people who work mainly because most of the people living there are retirees.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 9:46pm On Apr 26, 2022
Aphrodite007:

Haha yeah one less tax payer. I considered getting lawyers to try again, but they said that I’ll need to be in the country for another 5 years with the route I’ll take. Been here 7 years now, I’m not interested in being classed a temporary for another 5 years lol. I can’t keep being used for tax purposes only to be discarded if they change immigration rules cheesy

To be honest, it’s just because I don’t like it here and want to try something different. Staying is not hard.

Have you considered NZ or Australia? Be warned that it is very very far from anywhere else. I always say NZ is what Nigeria would be like if it was classed as developed. It has lots of developing country vibes and attitudes and of course lots of opportunities for everyone. Once you have international experience, the world is your oyster! A work to residency visa gives you residency after 2 years and PR after 2 years so 4 years in total. Salaries are good (husbot and I have both doubled our UK wages) which will be frustrating for us when we return to the UK in 2 years time. It also has a small emerging Nigerian community (less than 1000 of us o!)

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2022
Good Evening my people... I got a parking charge notice on a car i bought a month ago but had to fill form V62 to get the log book. I parked the car in the parking lot apparently not mine as mine was always occupied waiting for the log book to come and tax the car. I need advice should i appeal the ticket or just make payment and move on... Has anyone appealed such case and one?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2022
lightnlife:
Thanks for the insight.

I've taken a couple of courses on Scrum and aced the scrum assessment - 100% consistently...Now I feel ready and confident to take the main exam.

As you noted, junior scrum roles are not quite easy to come by and the major scrum roles require years of experience.

Question: How can one make an entry to the role; are there scrum volunteering opportunities? I've watched a lot of videos on getting started as a new scrum master but they're not detailed.

Please share more insights on making entry to the world of scrum.

You need experience. Try applying for a project assistant, project support or business support role. Use it to get in because you need project (preferably software or delivery experience).

Due to having such a certification, you’ll be “overqualified” for that role but if you’re lucky to have a greedy interviewer (like me), you’ll be in.

Stay 6-12 months and gain confidence/experience. that’s all you need for a proper scrum role elsewhere (don’t stay With the previous employer, they’ll keep making it look like they did you a favour).

Be patient. Start small. You won’t even remember the struggle when you’re turning down 65-75k jobs. As far as you’re in tech, you’ll win in the end.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2022
Ticha:

Have you considered NZ or Australia?

Smiles to Google. I’ll check them out- I like that money doubling part, haha. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:15pm On Apr 26, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
Well, I informed the forum last week that I would be keeping you updated this week on my Driving Theory test which I failed last week and paid for it to be retaken this week… Look no further, I DID WELL TODAY…. Now on to practical… Anyone with guidance on how to excel on the practical should not endeavor to share..

Gratitude to the man that suggest I buy The Yellow Theory Test Pro, it seems as though they copied from the app to the website… grin grin grin

You are welcome

For practical search the thread for DGN driving and Ashley Neil.

Watch loads of videos on YouTube

10-20 hours of lessons should be enough.

Look at mirrors

Plan while driving

Use indicators

Mirrors before indicators

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by omopapa: 11:19pm On Apr 26, 2022
See wetin Elon Musk don cause. N150m for NL? Shey u dey whine me ni?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:29pm On Apr 26, 2022
omopapa:
See wetin Elon Musk don cause. N150m for NL? Shey u dey whine me ni?
naira land is worth at least 2b usd

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:45pm On Apr 26, 2022
Viruses:
Does paypal pay in 3 do a hard or soft credit check before approval? Does anyone know please?
Soft check. I closed my Nigerian PayPal account when I got here and opened a new one with my UK address with the exact same details (email address and password). Just different cards on it. It’s really easy to get. Also explore Klarna and Clear Pay. Some stores accept them as well.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 12:05am On Apr 27, 2022
Ticha:

You mean a room by room let? Burnham is not really set up for HMOs as it's essentially a holiday location. If you drive, you might have to live in Weston Super Mare and commute in. There are buses but it doesn't cater well for people who work mainly because most of the people living there are retirees.

That is really awful in a way.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:07am On Apr 27, 2022
harwe:
Good Evening my people... I got a parking charge notice on a car i bought a month ago but had to fill form V62 to get the log book. I parked the car in the parking lot apparently not mine as mine was always occupied waiting for the log book to come and tax the car. I need advice should i appeal the ticket or just make payment and move on... Has anyone appealed such case and one?

Did you park the car ? Yes
Did you have a valid permit to park ? No

Assuming you parked your car,in your designated parking slot...... Without displaying a valid permit, you would still receive a contravention notice .........

Just pay the lesser discounted rate and move on ...... Lesson learnt ........ cheesy

If you appeal, the possibility of winning the appeal is 0%........ wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:11am On Apr 27, 2022
umarwy:
naira land is worth at least 2b usd

How much is Nigeria's budget ............ cheesy

If packaged properly, nairaland is a cave of talent..... A few years ago, I was head-hunted by a Chinese company, via my posts on nairaland........... Enough said. ....... wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 3:07am On Apr 27, 2022
Lexusgs430:

How much is Nigeria's budget ............ cheesy

If packaged properly, nairaland is a cave of talent..... A few years ago, I was head-hunted by a Chinese company, via my posts on nairaland........... Enough said. ....... wink

Umigidi world wide
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:38am On Apr 27, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Haba Oga, so you already have one with proper dates....

Don't be an Oliver twist, the certificate from your church, is not a legally binding document........

The one from your church, only satisfies your pastor, wife, yourself, your family and possibly God ........ cheesy

Many Churches are licensed and issue Government Marriage certificates that are legally binding.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:51am On Apr 27, 2022
Solumtoya:

Many Churches are licensed and issue Government Marriage certificates that are legally binding.

But you also agree that some churches, issue non legally binding marriage certificates.......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:57am On Apr 27, 2022
keneryhark:
Good day everyone, me and my wife intends to relocate to the UK through the student pathway. From our calculation the amount needed for our prove of fund is #16,866,600. We have a guaranteed accomodation. If we are able to prove we have an accommodation, can the amount required for prove of fund be reduced when apply for Visa? Anyone with a link of who can help with the prove of fund? Kindly quote me with your answer 08059290962

Unfortunately, no

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 4:57am On Apr 27, 2022
Lexusgs430:

But you also agree that some churches, issue non legally binding marriage certificates.......... cheesy

Sure, very possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by harwe: 5:26am On Apr 27, 2022
Thanks Fam

Lexusgs430:

Did you park the car ? Yes
Did you have a valid permit to park ? No

Assuming you parked your car,in your designated parking slot...... Without displaying a valid permit, you would still receive a contravention notice .........

Just pay the lesser discounted rate and move on ...... Lesson learnt ........ cheesy

If you appeal, the possibility of winning the appeal is 0%........ wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 6:22am On Apr 27, 2022
Greetings to everyone,

Does anyone know or have a sure plug for FX at low rate?
I ve Naira but in need of £
Preferably in and around Muritala
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Babase: 6:33am On Apr 27, 2022
Adazeal:

It's tshoboy, think she made an error in the spelling. Applied for mine yesterday.
Please can you confirm the price of passport renewal?

And apart from the application for renewal cost, am I paying for any other thing?

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 6:59am On Apr 27, 2022
Aphrodite007:

You need experience. Try applying for a project assistant, project support or business support role. Use it to get in because you need project (preferably software or delivery experience).

Due to having such a certification, you’ll be “overqualified” for that role but if you’re lucky to have a greedy interviewer (like me), you’ll be in.

Stay 6-12 months and gain confidence/experience. that’s all you need for a proper scrum role elsewhere (don’t stay With the previous employer, they’ll keep making it look like they did you a favour).

Be patient. Start small. You won’t even remember the struggle when you’re turning down 65-75k jobs. As far as you’re in tech, you’ll win in the end.
thanks for coming through once again
I am having some issues with Regards to Project Management jobs. Most of the project coordinator/support jobs i have been applying keep rejecting my application. I am beginning to think maybe I am overqualified. Most are usually silent on first degree, some will even state GCSE. Meanwhile I display my Masters degree and Prince 2 Practitioner which I got few years ago in Naija.

Do you think that I should remove all of these higher qualifications from my project management job search when it was stated in the job advert?

What happened when I hid those qualifications and they HR does a Google profile on me and behold my LinkedIn profile props up with my full qualifications and years of experience? Na that one dey fear me pass? Won't it amount to dishonesty in the job?

Abeg make una help me look into this ....

Cc: TheGuyFromHR
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adazeal: 8:29am On Apr 27, 2022
Babase:

Please can you confirm the price of passport renewal?

And apart from the application for renewal cost, am I paying for any other thing?

Thank you.
It depends on the type you want. The 10 years standard e-passport costs $230 with an administrative fee of $12. The 5 years passport costs about $110 or thereabout.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 9:16am On Apr 27, 2022
A colleague from Iran asked me to send him some Nigerian music to listen to. Dude really seems to like Nigeria.

I gave him Peru by Fireboy, Time to party by Flavour and No one like you by PSquare. Baba saw me this morning and said he was hearing Peru Peru, that what is Peru. I just weak. How do I answer this kind of question.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:24am On Apr 27, 2022
mex551:
thanks for coming through once again
I am having some issues with Regards to Project Management jobs. Most of the project coordinator/support jobs i have been applying keep rejecting my application. I am beginning to think maybe I am overqualified. Most are usually silent on first degree, some will even state GCSE. Meanwhile I display my Masters degree and Prince 2 Practitioner which I got few years ago in Naija.

Do you think that I should remove all of these higher qualifications from my project management job search when it was stated in the job advert?

What happened when I hid those qualifications and they HR does a Google profile on me and behold my LinkedIn profile props up with my full qualifications and years of experience? Na that one dey fear me pass? Won't it amount to dishonesty in the job?

Abeg make una help me look into this ....

Cc: TheGuyFromHR

Inconsistency in citing verifiable information might lead to suspicion on a recruiter's part, especially considering the part of the world you come from. Mention everything verifiable you've got, especially if acquisition of the master's, if left out, would lead to a gap you've got to explain when the security screening people start their long waka.

Qualifications don't really matter here, I could say apply for jobs which require experience you know you've got, irrespective of whether they're entry level or not (i.e. even if the job ad states minimum qualification of NVQs or something like that under essential, but mentioned something like "demonstrable experience of having managed a project in so and so field or with a spend of so and so hundreds of thousands of pounds", you put in for that, for instance).

Again, recruitment is also a highly subjective matter, some recruiters or TAQ partners might open application files from their recruitment app and immediately click through names they don't like. Others pay attention, some might genuinely feel that foreign (read "non-developed country"wink experience might not transfer well, others might think overqualification would not allow you to fit in if given the role, others might feel that it might be an asset to bring someone like you in so you can grow in the job. Some might immediately deduce your backstory ("Oh, this is a foreigner recently arrived, trying to start off in the job market in any related role"wink, others might not or might not care.

Basically, put in what you have and let it play out from there.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 10:08am On Apr 27, 2022
The wait for T2 visa switch outcome from T4 is tiring. This is the 6th week and I hope I get approval by May 13.

To dash the £500 for priority too much.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 10:17am On Apr 27, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Inconsistency in citing verifiable information might lead to suspicion on a recruiter's part, especially considering the part of the world you come from. Mention everything verifiable you've got, especially if acquisition of the master's, if left out, would lead to a gap you've got to explain when the security screening people start their long waka.

Qualifications don't really matter here, I could say apply for jobs which require experience you know you've got, irrespective of whether they're entry level or not (i.e. even if the job ad states minimum qualification of NVQs or something like that under essential, but mentioned something like "demonstrable experience of having managed a project in so and so field or with a spend of so and so hundreds of thousands of pounds", you put in for that, for instance).

Again, recruitment is also a highly subjective matter, some recruiters or TAQ partners might open application files from their recruitment app and immediately click through names they don't like. Others pay attention, some might genuinely feel that foreign (read "non-developed country"wink experience might not transfer well, others might think overqualification would not allow you to fit in if given the role, others might feel that it might be an asset to bring someone like you in so you can grow in the job. Some might immediately deduce your backstory ("Oh, this is a foreigner recently arrived, trying to start off in the job market in any related role"wink, others might not or might not care.

Basically, put in what you have and let it play out from there.

thanks. Don't mind my typos. It was typed on the move.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:32am On Apr 27, 2022
Viruses:
A colleague from Iran asked me to send him some Nigerian music to listen to. Dude really seems to like Nigeria.

I gave him Peru by Fireboy, Time to party by Flavour and No one like you by PSquare. Baba saw me this morning and said he was hearing Peru Peru, that what is Peru. I just weak. How do I answer this kind of question.

The lyric is peru para, peru para, I'm loooooosing control..............

Para in our local parlance , is loosing control........ ie - I go para for you o .......... cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.