Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (401) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183172 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:35am On Apr 27, 2022
Petition: Make Graduate visa extendable and count towards permanent residency
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/614931
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:41am On Apr 27, 2022
CheesyTee:
The wait for T2 visa switch outcome from T4 is tiring. This is the 6th week and I hope I get approval by May 13.

To dash the £500 for priority too much.

Home Office is working from home. wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Home Office is working from home. wink

Lol. Make them hurry with my application. My employer added a clause to my offer (the contract ends on my T4 expiration date ) and I'll need to sense them a work permit to have a permanent position.

I wanted to defer my dissertation, I can't do that for now, as I'm still on a student visa grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:00am On Apr 27, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Home Office is working from home, office..... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 11:23am On Apr 27, 2022
Aphrodite007:

Very true. Even me that I’m experienced, I space out at times.

It’s demanding because all the tech professionals are “technically” working for you, so you have to be ahead of them, be knowledgeable enough to guide/lead them and be influential enough to “control” executives.

The hussle is real and not easy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:26am On Apr 27, 2022
Graduate Mental Health Practitioner - Graduate Training. Start - Band 4. Salary: £26,447 to £28,780. Open to people who are or have recently completed a degree in any discipline. Two-year initial term after which support is given towards securing a permanent position. Applications close on 15 May 2022. Location: Multiple (London/Dartford area).
https://beta.jobs.nhs.uk/candidate/jobadvert/C9277-22-8800

UCLH Leadership and Management Training Scheme, Band 6 Trainee. Salary: £34,208.90 per annum inclusive for the first 12 months. Two-year Fixed-term contract. Applications close on 15 May 2022. Location: London.
https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/work-with-us/current-vacancies#!/job/UK/London/London/University_College_London_Hospitals_NHS_Foundation_Trust/Leadership_management_training/Leadership_management_training-v4132710?_ts=1998

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 11:31am On Apr 27, 2022
CheesyTee:

Lol. Make them hurry with my application. My employer added a clause to my offer (the contract ends on my T4 expiration date ) and I'll need to sense them a work permit to have a permanent position.

I wanted to defer my dissertation, I can't do that for now, as I'm still on a student visa grin

Is the £500 worth more than the emotional stress ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 12:09pm On Apr 27, 2022
deept:

Is the £500 worth more than the emotional stress ?

Well, I wasn’t in a hurry and I didn’t have any additional £500 at that time, plus the cost of relocation and rent in another town. So yes, at the point of application submission…
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aphrodite007(f): 12:46pm On Apr 27, 2022
mex551:
thanks for coming through once again
I am having some issues with Regards to Project Management jobs.

Do you think that I should remove all of these higher qualifications from my project management job search when it was stated in the job advert?

Abeg make una help me look into this ....

Cc: TheGuyFromHR

Being overqualified is a thing. My colleague once almost rejected a candidate because “why would someone with a masters want a 28k job?.. they’ll just runaway after a few months, we need longevity!”

I explained him that the candidate was Nigerian and 28k was a lot of money in Nigeria, so they really would be happy with the job and wouldn’t run away.

You reserve the right to include or exclude your degrees on your cv. It will not be seen as misrepresentation.

Also, it may not be that you’re overqualified because I know PM in Nigeria is not the same as PM here- we use PMI, they use prince2 (watch videos on this).

Try to use the buzzwords for that profession on your cv or when answering scenario questions.
E.g No one would trust a project manager that wouldn't use words like “PID, term of ref, stakeholders, scope, cost, raid, risk registers, lesson learned” at interviews.

Finally, work on your tone at interviews (please speak in a way that they can hear you).

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 2:32pm On Apr 27, 2022
Aphrodite007:

Being overqualified is a thing. My colleague once almost rejected a candidate because “why would someone with a masters want a 28k job?.. they’ll just runaway after a few months, we need longevity!”

I explained him that the candidate was Nigerian and 28k was a lot of money in Nigeria, so they really would be happy with the job and wouldn’t run away.

You reserve the right to include or exclude your degrees on your cv. It will not be seen as misrepresentation.

Also, it may not be that you’re overqualified because I know PM in Nigeria is not the same as PM here- we use PMI, they use prince2 (watch videos on this).

Try to use the buzzwords for that profession on your cv or when answering scenario questions.
E.g No one would trust a project manager that wouldn't use words like “PID, term of ref, stakeholders, scope, cost, raid, risk registers, lesson learned” at interviews.

Finally, work on your tone at interviews (please speak in a way that they can hear you).

These are very good tips to anyone job hunting here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 2:35pm On Apr 27, 2022
congressman101:
Try anywhereworks.com for remote jobs
Thank me later

This was good advice too! I know one person who got it and another who is in the process all because of this post!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 2:38pm On Apr 27, 2022
I met someone today who had the issue of ineligibility to work on his BRP. He's on a dependand visa to his wife who is a student. He has resolved it and received a new BRP.

So, to those who had same issue here, have you resolved it yet? If not, I could ask for the steps he took.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 2:57pm On Apr 27, 2022
Hello house,

A friend of mine has been in UK for 2years but he never applied for DL. Recently he applied for an international DL in Nigeria.

Can he go for the theory test straight away or he needs to apply for the provisional licence first? He has years of driving experience on his Nigerian licence.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by IamE: 3:39pm On Apr 27, 2022
If you are getting so much unfortunately mails whenever you apply
go and review your CV
(Also be sure you are applying for the right job)

If recruiters respond to you mail or cv, you are on the next path.

If after interview, nobody gets back to you
work on your communication, be sure you know and can explain the much your CV claims, watch how to answer interview questions

If you cross these 2stages, you may advance to the 2nd Interview stage or just get the job straight.

Also avoid mentioning to recruiters that you are new in the country I think they have this biased thinking of african migrants.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 4:10pm On Apr 27, 2022
How does this work? Is it a remote work platform?

Solumtoya:

This was good advice too! I know one person who got it and another who is in the process all because of this post!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:11pm On Apr 27, 2022
IamE:
go and review your CV

If after interview, nobody gets back to you, work on your communication, be sure you know and can explain the much your CV claims, watch how to answer interview questions

If you cross these 2stages, you may advance to the 2nd Interview stage or just get the job straight.

Also avoid mentioning to recruiters that you are new in the country I think they have this biased thinking of african migrants.

@the bolded: At some point if you are claiming to be a Methuselah in the UK, you will have to lie to come up with something on your CV to show what you have been doing in the UK since the time you claimed you arrived. The lie is not worth it and is pointless.

@the italicised: Congratulations, you've just discovered the concept of racism.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 4:18pm On Apr 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

It does count towards permanent residence already.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 5:09pm On Apr 27, 2022
justwise:

Yea for the 10 year route, unfortunately Tier 4 and PSW visa do not count for the 5 year route.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2022
He needs his provisional licence to book a theory test and a "pass" theory test certificate to book a driving test.
AirBay:
Hello house,

A friend of mine has been in UK for 2years but he never applied for DL. Recently he applied for an international DL in Nigeria.

Can he go for the theory test straight away or he needs to apply for the provisional licence first? He has years of driving experience on his Nigerian licence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 5:13pm On Apr 27, 2022
justwise:

It counts on the 10-year route.
The petition aims to make it count towards a 5-year route (in effect, equivalent to Skilled Worker Visa (aka Tier-2)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 5:43pm On Apr 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Yea for the 10 year route, unfortunately Tier 4 and PSW visa do not count for the 5 year route.

BorisJohnson:

It counts on the 10-year route.
The petition aims to make it count towards a 5-year route (in effect, equivalent to Skilled Worker Visa (aka Tier-2)

Understood
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jesmond3945: 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2022
IamE:
go and review your CV

If after interview, nobody gets back to you
work on your communication, be sure you know and can explain the much your CV claims, watch how to answer interview questions

how do our people in naija now get tier 2 sponsorship jobs if they have this bias? Sometimes unfortunately might not be because of c.v., it might be they found a British born or eu candidate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 6:53pm On Apr 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Yes. post graduate visa should be seen as a temporary work visa that can be continuously renewed based on some conditions till one get to 10 years and apply for ilr. Visa Sponsorship ain't making too much sense now
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 7:16pm On Apr 27, 2022
mex551:
thanks for coming through once again
I am having some issues with Regards to Project Management jobs. Most of the project coordinator/support jobs i have been applying keep rejecting my application. I am beginning to think maybe I am overqualified. Most are usually silent on first degree, some will even state GCSE. Meanwhile I display my Masters degree and Prince 2 Practitioner which I got few years ago in Naija.

Do you think that I should remove all of these higher qualifications from my project management job search when it was stated in the job advert?

What happened when I hid those qualifications and they HR does a Google profile on me and behold my LinkedIn profile props up with my full qualifications and years of experience? Na that one dey fear me pass? Won't it amount to dishonesty in the job?

Abeg make una help me look into this ....

Cc: TheGuyFromHR

Project management roles except it's for very small companies are a big deal in the UK. If you don't have enough UK experience they might not consider, try applying for junior roles to get into the system. If you are still new in the country it might be more difficult as the security checks companies may require to do before onboarding requires in some cases to have been in the country for at least six months.

Also look at the job description very well, do they require things like SC clearance? That's a no go area if you are not up to 5 years in the UK.

My final advice for newbies in the UK is to be very realistic. A lot of mid level to senior roles require some strong UK experience unless if you have worked for very big global brands before coming to the UK. Try and get some UK experience with some lesser paying jobs or junior roles first to bridge the UK experience ish.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Iruosonobrugwhe: 7:45pm On Apr 27, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
Well, I informed the forum last week that I would be keeping you updated this week on my Driving Theory test which I failed last week and paid for it to be retaken this week… Look no further, I DID WELL TODAY…. Now on to practical… Anyone with guidance on how to excel on the practical should not endeavor to share..

Gratitude to the man that suggest I buy The Yellow Theory Test Pro, it seems as though they copied from the app to the website… grin grin grin

This was a blast....some of us passed with let my people go

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Christabeliciou: 7:54pm On Apr 27, 2022
Hello,
Pls how much will you sell pounds for me.
Thanks

omopapa:
Come to my DM, I get
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 7:57pm On Apr 27, 2022
Goke7:

Project management roles except it's for very small companies are a big deal in the UK. If you don't have enough UK experience they might not consider, try applying for junior roles to get into the system. If you are still new in the country it might be more difficult as the security checks companies may require to do before onboarding requires in some cases to have been in the country for at least six months.

Also look at the job description very well, do they require things like SC clearance? That's a no go area if you are not up to 5 years in the UK.

My final advice for newbies in the UK is to be very realistic. A lot of mid level to senior roles require some strong UK experience unless if you have worked for very big global brands before coming to the UK. Try and get some UK experience with some lesser paying jobs or junior roles first to bridge the UK experience ish.
i applied for a role that required Security clearance, and was shortlisted for the interview. Had the interview last week for one hour 30mins. Longest interview I ever had. Was thinking they will raise the issue of security clearance but they didn't. All fingers crossed. I came to UK in Nov

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 8:06pm On Apr 27, 2022
Aphrodite007:

Thanks. I am actually a prince2 Practitioner

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:10pm On Apr 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Signed

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by olenime(m): 8:16pm On Apr 27, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Alexia20: 8:31pm On Apr 27, 2022
Elders in the house ,I just got a small car ( 1.6 Citroën 2007 diesel auto drive ) for my dom care job with chikini money but on performing a rough estimate of the insurance online I was amazed to see the cost going over the roof ( 3,000£ ) which i feel can be due not using a uk license, pls I need guidance from some of my people that are more experience, what are those parameters that I can change while filling the detail online on those insurance portal that can make the price to come down and for some of those parameter ,can the insurance actually confirm those information that you supplied if it true eg supposed daily mileage that you are going to cover annually ,duration of your using your international driving llicense etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.