Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (431) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1181837 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mayowa94: 8:37am On May 13, 2022
Good morning everyone please I need urgent reply how can I pay for OET registration from Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Josh121(m): 8:37am On May 13, 2022
Irenenwaka:

Just out of curiosity why are most people only doing revolut… no one is doing WISE(formerly transferwise)?

It has multiple virtual cards, you can create them for free and also disposable cards
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by piecexchange: 8:46am On May 13, 2022
Uk2020:
I think time and chance is everything. Both sides of the argument have elements of truth.
If you get a job solely on certifications and no work experience it's probably because they wanted to train you and you certifications are proof that you can be taught. Meaning you were very lucky.

Last year I paid for a cloud certification course that I thought will lead to a job upon completion but it didn't. Only two of us from that training course are currently working as cloud engineers.
I was fortunate to get a firm that offered paid training and job placements after training. I was offered a placement two weeks into my training after a successful interview. I now work as a cloud engineer for one of the big four banks.

I think it depends largely on the sector. Certifications without experience might not get you a job in the UK cloud sector.

On the other hand I got my placement quickly because of my certifications. About half of those in my training cohort already had cloud certifications but no experience and therefore no jobs. All of us without exception have now been placed.

The quickest way into IT here in the UK without prior university education in IT is to get trained by an IT recruitment firm. You get paid during and after training for at least two years.

If you can get certified without paying heavily please do. It will look good on your CV but after that it's just time and chance, no guarantees at all.

Thank you for this....please can you recommend the IT recruitments firm someone can begin with to boost chances in IT especially in cloud...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 10:19am On May 13, 2022
Thanks. No qualms Justwise
Awesome moderating decision you've made. I wasn't sure whether to reply or direct the fellow to the students' thread.
justwise:
@semmyk
Sorry i have to hide your last reply to a post , People keep posting unrelated questions in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 12:49pm On May 13, 2022
Irenenwaka:

Just out of curiosity why are most people only doing revolut… no one is doing WISE(formerly transferwise)?

I use Wise, and it's very good. Free disposable cards you can use as well. I'm not sure how their exchange rates compares with others, but they've been very solid over the years.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 12:56pm On May 13, 2022
Josh121:

It has multiple virtual cards, you can create them for free and also disposable cards
Baba, I see you. Long time no see
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 1:22pm On May 13, 2022
lightnlife:
I opened Monzo yesterday and got the card today.

Might open this Chase or Revolut too.

Hope there won't be any issue opening multple accounts.

You can open Revolut. Best in International transfers. I use it a lot to transfer to USA and Canada same day. Also good with Crypto ans Shares.

You can use my ref code and I will send you 20 quids when you finish the steps:

https://revolut.com/referral/jedidi9xv3!MAY1-22-AR
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Josh121(m): 1:51pm On May 13, 2022
mex551:
Baba, I see you. Long time no see
I de boss , I just sent you a message on whatsapp today self.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 3:06pm On May 13, 2022
I just dey see as people dey hola APPROVAL…. with high balance, I come dey wonder if na free money maybe me sef fit apply grin grin…. I dey see as people dey shout 5K approval… Chai, big money shocked shocked
MichaelUde:
My people.
I don come again.

Bikonu, please note that having a credit card and playing around with credit, or more properly, debt, is not a “must” in this wonderful world of obodo oyibo. There are people who have not used debt all their lives whose only credit product na mortgage, and they still dey here, dem never die.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uk2020: 4:10pm On May 13, 2022
piecexchange:

Thank you for this....please can you recommend the IT recruitments firm someone can begin with to boost chances in IT especially in cloud...

I think you sent me a dm. I have replied.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:22pm On May 13, 2022
hustla:

My house mate, with 0 experience in anything IT or DevOps got job in AWS DevOps on the back of an AWS SAA Cert he was advised to write and trainings he took on ACloud Guru and Udemy
Certs you a foot in the door, and you can then explain yourself and prove you have what it takes

His MSc was in Mechatronics so what will you say about this? smiley

There's this babe on US Twitter who went from being a paralegal to obtaining an AWS SA Cert, ITIL and ServiceNow, she now earns north of $100K.

I will look for a link to her page and share it

EDITED

Her website
https://www.intechshetrust.com/about-me

Her twitter
https://twitter.com/princessxap

Many people joined her evangelism, got certs, got foots in the door and are earning large

Uk you see them doing AWS training up and down different packaging , selling it as if once you are trained on Aws it so easy to find a job.... the reality on ground is very different. Its very hard to break into that space with zero experience has been my observation.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 4:46pm On May 13, 2022
semmyk:
Awesome moderating decision you've made. I wasn't sure whether to reply or direct the fellow to the students' thread.

Thanks for your understanding
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rabola1(f): 4:55pm On May 13, 2022
Good day, please I need info on applying for Dubai tourist visa from Uk. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 4:57pm On May 13, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
I just dey see as people dey hola APPROVAL…. with high balance, I come dey wonder if na free money maybe me sef fit apply grin grin…. I dey see as people dey shout 5K approval… Chai, big money shocked shocked

Your post may not be popular with some people but you are making an important point, it’s not free money, if not managed with care it will destroy your life. Years ago a friend on student visa took one with just £2000 balance, she failed to repay the amount spent because she lost the part time job, then the interest grew out of control, bank sent debt recovery agency after her, for years she moved from one address to another, from one city to another. Has to do under table jobs because any money that goes into her account will be taken by the bank. This went on for years, I really don’t know how she got out of it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 5:04pm On May 13, 2022
kode12:

I use Wise, and it's very good. Free disposable cards you can use as well. I'm not sure how their exchange rates compares with others, but they've been very solid over the years.
How do you create the disposable card on wise. Can't find such option when logged in to the app.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 5:20pm On May 13, 2022
Viruses:

How do you create the disposable card on wise. Can't find such option when logged in to the app.
You just go to accounts and add a digital card. You should be able to add and delete cards anytime.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 5:27pm On May 13, 2022
justwise:

Your post may not be popular with some people but you are making an important point, it’s not free money, if not managed with care it will destroy your life. Years ago a friend on student visa took one with just £2000 balance, she failed to repay the amount spent because she lost the part time job, then the interest grew out of control, bank sent debt recovery agency after her, for years she moved from one address to another, from one city to another. Has to do under table jobs because any money that goes into her account will be taken by the bank. This went on for years, I really don’t know how she got out of it.
The euphoria that comes with being given credit grin grin. It's very enticing because unlike debits, where you see money leaving your account, you don't feel it so much because it was never yours, to begin with until it's time to pay it back.
Students with unstable jobs have to be really careful sha.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 5:42pm On May 13, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ayodebola: 5:46pm On May 13, 2022
Hi UK2020,
IThanks for this comprehensive writeup. It's an eye opener which proves that cert + training/internship can get you the job. Please can you be kind enough to mention the IT recruitment firm that offers training with internship/job offer in UK. Looking forward to your reply. Regards.
Uk2020:
I think time and chance is everything. Both sides of the argument have elements of truth.
If you get a job solely on certifications and no work experience it's probably because they wanted to train you and you certifications are proof that you can be taught. Meaning you were very lucky.

Last year I paid for a cloud certification course that I thought will lead to a job upon completion but it didn't. Only two of us from that training course are currently working as cloud engineers.
I was fortunate to get a firm that offered paid training and job placements after training. I was offered a placement two weeks into my training after a successful interview. I now work as a cloud engineer for one of the big four banks.

I think it depends largely on the sector. Certifications without experience might not get you a job in the UK cloud sector.

On the other hand I got my placement quickly because of my certifications. About half of those in my training cohort already had cloud certifications but no experience and therefore no jobs. All of us without exception have now been placed.

The quickest way into IT here in the UK without prior university education in IT is to get trained by an IT recruitment firm. You get paid during and after training for at least two years.

If you can get certified without paying heavily please do. It will look good on your CV but after that it's just time and chance, no guarantees at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Inkredible(m): 6:01pm On May 13, 2022
elisinho:

I want to start this path too and will be happy if I can be under your guidance

Thats great Elisinho. I will send you a mail now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NNTR: 6:15pm On May 13, 2022
semmyk:
An asset to the Travel forum.
Yeah, justwise impressed me with his/her cool, calm, collected, sensible, level headed, without fear or favour and tolerant to a degree style of moderating.

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:15pm On May 13, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Uk you see them doing AWS training up and down different packaging , selling it as if once you are trained on Aws it so easy to find a job.... the reality on ground is very different. Its very hard to break into that space with zero experience has been my observation.

smiley

You are also right
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:16pm On May 13, 2022
kode12:

The euphoria that comes with being given credit grin grin. It's very enticing because unlike debits, where you see money leaving your account, you don't feel it so much because it was never yours, to begin with until it's time to pay it back.
Students with unstable jobs have to be really careful sha.

Reason why I did not take it

For CC sef, If the money never dey my right hand, I wont use my left hand to spend the money on it unless I have some backup savings .. before hand go touch me grin

I think ill just explore the Monese credit builder in the meantime when I am sure I can handle it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 6:18pm On May 13, 2022
Interesting thought.

Please, how can an inexperienced person make an entry into these roles?

I have strong IT and Computer skills, and Scrum training and certification.

Any helpful link, guide or resource would be helpful.

Thanks

Goke7:

Now you are shifting the post by saying that certifications can get entry level positions. If you said that earlier, it would have been better. Of course one don't expect experience to be needed for most entry positions. But the positions the op was talking about which you are contesting are positions like product owner, product manager and scrum master are not entry level positions but roles that require some level of experience. Having certifications alone are not enough for such roles especially in the UK. What folks are doing is to falsify their cv claiming experience but then if background checks before resumption claim otherwise then it will be embarrassing.

Folks should be realistic with their expectations and get experience through volunteering or internships to get experience

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:23pm On May 13, 2022
justwise:

Chief

What if someone takes like 10K from a CC and leaves the country. What will the Cc coy do?

Do they factor this into their risk analysis before approving the individual or how do they then make profit?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 6:32pm On May 13, 2022
Hello Aphrodite007,

May I humbly request a space in your mentorship scheme?

Trying to make an entry into the tech space. I recently completed my Scrum Master training.

Looking forward to read from you. Thanks

Aphrodite007:

This is even what I wanted to say to him. He can say whatever he wants to say, but not mention me. If people want to fall for it, experience is the best teacher.

So occupations like agile coach, delivery manager and product manager that don’t have industry-accepted certification bodies, should now jump inside the lagoon?

I have countless mentees that have certs but no experience, I would share my experience with them so they can make it theirs for interviews- if certs are enough, why didn’t they get jobs before I mentored them? Even myself, I am currently in a role that I don’t have a cert for, so it’s funny to hear that from someone not even close to the delivery field.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 6:37pm On May 13, 2022
kode12:

You just go to accounts and add a digital card. You should be able to add and delete cards anytime.
This is it, nothing like digital card. The only option for card is to make an order. Can you provide further guidance please?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 6:43pm On May 13, 2022
hustla:

Reason why I did not take it

For CC sef, If the money never dey my right hand, I wont use my left hand to spend the money on it unless I have some backup savings .. before hand go touch me grin

I think ill just explore the Monese credit builder in the meantime when I am sure I can handle it

If you're eligible for Paypal credit, I'd say start with that. It has a relatively lower bar for entry, and you can spread purchases above £99 over 4months which gives you a little bit of security.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tawa89(f): 6:45pm On May 13, 2022
Has anyone ever gotten a priority service refund from UKVI/TLS before? Of you have please, how did you get it? I have applied for a refill since last year and till now , no response.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:12pm On May 13, 2022
kode12:

If you're eligible for Paypal credit, I'd say start with that. It has a relatively lower bar for entry, and you can spread purchases above £99 over 4months which gives you a little bit of security.

Any way I can see the requirements?

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: ojtopsy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.