Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,303 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (438) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177476 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Suzam: 3:34pm On May 17, 2022
rabola1:
Please any info on this, thanks

Wats ur question
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:46pm On May 17, 2022
I am interested too
harwe:
Baba I am interested in this offer ooo

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 5:10pm On May 17, 2022
Hello. Please l just want to ask this, will I be charged for tax and NI for my very first salary in UK, I read something here that one won't be charged until after some months. My pay slip shows I was charged.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lindakam: 5:18pm On May 17, 2022
Hi everyone,

Please asides Autotrader is there any other App someone can buy cars cheap?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 5:38pm On May 17, 2022
nellaluv:
Hello. Please l just want to ask this, will I be charged for tax and NI for my very first salary in UK, I read something here that one won't be charged until after some months. My pay slip shows I was charged.

Yes, you get charged every pay cycle - week / month, from the first payment. It’s pay as you earn.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 5:50pm On May 17, 2022
icon8:

Yes, you get charged every pay cycle - week / month, from the first payment. It’s pay as you earn.

Ok. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:17pm On May 17, 2022
Rubyventures:

It depends on which part, if you want to live in the rough parts , then the nicer parts of Hammersmith are more expensive.

Every borough has got its good and bad parts.
Bro they all pay same Council tax irrespective of rough or not rough and to that area its all same
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:19pm On May 17, 2022
icon8:

Not always the case, you get charged in taxed as per ur tax code. If your tax codes is 12000 and you only earn £11500, you wont be taxed. Hardly happens though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 8:02pm On May 17, 2022
erico2k2:

Not always the case, you get charged in taxed as per ur tax code. If your tax codes is 12000 and you only earn £11500, you wont be taxed. Hardly happens though

Did you bother to read the question I responded to? It’s not about tax code or rate, but whether tax and NIC are deducted from the first salary or if there is a ‘grace period’ before the taxman wields the big stick.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:40pm On May 17, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
I’ve just checked the CCTV with my landlord now, lo and behold, the guy in the picture stole my package…. My flat has a kinda touch key that opens the front door, every tenant has a fob kinda key, the landlord reiterate that isn’t a tenant. How did the guy entered, I don’t know…. I’ve been calling police number since but it’s just been on hold… Mehn, I’m flabbergasted. UK is a jungle too, not much different from 9ja….

Imagine someone just bringing Ghana must go bag to raid peoples flat for delivery… I will follow this case to the end… I will be visiting police station every day… The swag box cost me a lot…

I’m really pained

Tbh I’d still report this item as not received. They should replace or refund. The delivery company was meant to make sure it was safely delivered and they didn’t.

To avoid this kind of situation going forward always specify what Amazon, Hermes, DPD and DHL should do with your parcel if you’re not at home I.e- deliver at local depot, come back tomorrow or leave with Neigbour.

Develop a relationship with one Neighbour who can collect parcels for you and vice versa. You live in a flat so nothing like delivery at front door, it’s too risky.

Alternatively, when you buy items there is a box at checkout that says ‘ any additional message for courier’ it’s not for decoration. Use it. You can specify that item should only delivered in hand or specifically within the hours you’ll be home and they usually will try to help you.

Pele

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 8:56pm On May 17, 2022
icon8:

Did you bother to read the question I responded to? It’s not about tax code or rate, but whether tax and NIC are deducted from the first salary or if there is a ‘grace period’ before the taxman wields the big stick.
Yes I did and the answer is simple tax will not be collected from your 1st ever salary until you earn above your taxcode,unles ur taxcode is BR then its 20% Your tax code dictates how much tax you are charged. your tax code is the amount you must earn above for tax to be collected simply put.
tax code
[tax code]
NOUN
a code number representing the tax-free part of an employee's income, assigned by tax authorities for use by employers in calculating the tax to be deducted under the PAYE system.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+a+tax+code&form=ANNTH1&refig=13657e4828c24fe591dfecb927f1967f
https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes
I hope these helps

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nellaluv(f): 9:11pm On May 17, 2022
erico2k2:

Yes I did and the answer is simple tax will not be collected from your 1st ever salary until you earn above your taxcode,unles ur taxcode is BR then its 20% Your tax code dictates how much tax you are charged. your tax code is the amount you must earn above for tax to be collected simply put.
tax code
[tax code]
NOUN
a code number representing the tax-free part of an employee's income, assigned by tax authorities for use by employers in calculating the tax to be deducted under the PAYE system.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+a+tax+code&form=ANNTH1&refig=13657e4828c24fe591dfecb927f1967f
I hope these helps

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by oyoolima: 9:16pm On May 17, 2022
Oga Lexusgs430,Im interested oo.sent a PM,I couldn't find you on WhatsApp for some reason.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 9:19pm On May 17, 2022
erico2k2:

tax code
[tax code]
NOUN
I hope these helps

Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 9:21pm On May 17, 2022
Thanks Mama…. I’m learning bit by bit in this UK…
We live and learn
Mamatukwas:

Tbh I’d still report this item as not received. They should replace or refund. The delivery company was meant to make sure it was safely delivered and they didn’t.

Pele

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 9:23pm On May 17, 2022
nellaluv:

Thank you
you are welcome
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 12:15am On May 18, 2022
nellaluv:

Thank you

No thank am o. His explanation is wrong even though he sounded confident.

Tax allowance = 12k plus
Annual salary = 24k (assumption)
Monthly salary = 2k.
Taxable income = 12k (i.e 24k -12k)

You will be taxed monthly throughout the tax cycle (i.e one year). Meaning instead of paying tax on 2k monthly, you will be paying tax on 1k monthly. If your salary is less than the tax allowance (i.e 12k plus), you won't pay tax at all.

His explanation is you won't be taxed for the first 6 months till you have earned above 12k and that is wrong.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 3:31am On May 18, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
I’ve just checked the CCTV with my landlord now, lo and behold, the guy in the picture stole my package…. My flat has a kinda touch key that opens the front door, every tenant has a fob kinda key, the landlord reiterate that isn’t a tenant. How did the guy entered, I don’t know…. I’ve been calling police number since but it’s just been on hold… Mehn, I’m flabbergasted. UK is a jungle too, not much different from 9ja….

Imagine someone just bringing Ghana must go bag to raid peoples flat for delivery… I will follow this case to the end… I will be visiting police station every day… The swag box cost me a lot…

I’m really pained

Share the picture on your next door neighbourhood someone will actually know or recognise him. The delivery people are still to blame, you never signed for the parcel.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 3:40am On May 18, 2022
icon8:

It depends on your tax code, if you started work after the tax year has begun and you have got M1 after your code e.g 1200L M1 you will be taxed on a monthly basis but if your tax code is simply 1200L it will be accumulated until you have earned more than your personal allowance.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 8:40am On May 18, 2022
I want to apply for Amex credit card and I'm looking at Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card or The American Express® Rewards Credit Card. Does any one have review on any of these that can guide my decision?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:55am On May 18, 2022
Viruses:
I want to apply for Amex credit card and I'm looking at Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card or The American Express® Rewards Credit Card. Does any one have review on any of these that can guide my decision?
I have platinum everyday card and I get cashback. At the moment I don't even know if and how I can spend the cashback grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 9:01am On May 18, 2022
Viruses:

No thank am o. His explanation is wrong even though he sounded confident.

Tax allowance = 12k plus
Annual salary = 24k (assumption)
Monthly salary = 2k.
Taxable income = 12k (i.e 24k -12k)

You will be taxed monthly throughout the tax cycle (i.e one year). Meaning instead of paying tax on 2k monthly, you will be paying tax on 1k monthly. If your salary is less than the tax allowance (i.e 12k plus), you won't pay tax at all.

His explanation is you won't be taxed for the first 6 months till you have earned above 12k and that is wrong.

Someone gave a clear explanation and you just knocked it off by saying he is wrong.

To dey drop opinion for nairaland sef don dey fear person. Public forum oooooh!!!

FYI, I didn’t get taxed until after about 5-6 months in the uk and I was earning like 2k monthly. My only deduction was NI.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:09am On May 18, 2022
Viruses:

I use the standard Gold card so can’t really advise. But if you decide and choose to go ahead please use my ref link http://amex.co.uk/refer/uGONNCjkWY?XL=MIMNS

(Insert puppy eyes) thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:14am On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Someone gave a clear explanation and you just knocked it off by saying he is wrong.

To dey drop opinion for nairaland sef don dey fear person. Public forum oooooh!!!

FYI, I didn’t get taxed until after about 5-6 months in the uk and I was earning like 2k monthly. My only deduction was NI.

NI is also a tax. In theory its supposed to be an earmarked tax for social security purposes (pensions, unemployment benefits, etc), but it's not, it goes into general taxation.

If you had no PAYE income tax deduction made for 5 - 6 months while earning above 12,570 p.a., there was probably an error somewhere, I would say (very unusual though). All new employees are tax coded when payrolled upon commencement of employment. That's what the starter checklist/P45 is for.

The point I think people are trying to make is that there is no statutory exemption from taxation for anyone when you get a new job, you must be put on the records as either not being taxed (NT) for whatever reason, standard 1257L, M, or whatever or basic rated (BR), or something.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 9:16am On May 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

NI is also a tax. In theory its supposed to be an earmarked tax for social security purposes (pensions, unemployment benefits, etc), but it's not, it goes into general taxation.

If you had no[b] PAYE income tax[/b] deduction made for 5 - 6 months, there was probably an error somewhere, I would say (very unusual though). All new employees are tax coded when payrolled upon commencement of employment. That's what the starter checklist/P45 is for.

The point I think people are trying to make is that there is no statutory exemption from taxation for anyone when you get a new job, you must be put on the records as either not being taxed (NT) for whatever reason, standard 1257L, M, or whatever or basic rated (BR), or something.

Oga HR, you get time sir. It’s the confidence for me grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:24am On May 18, 2022
icon8:

Oga HR, you get time sir. It’s the confidence for me grin

My brother, in my experience HMRC dey like piranha fish, their money no dey fall for ground, not for where formal employees dey. Na the self-employed wey fit get up to tricks, but not employees. They will BR or D0 you sharply without wasting time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 9:28am On May 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

My brother, in my experience HMRC dey like piranha fish, their money no dey fall for ground, not for where formal employees dey. Na the self-employed wey fit get up to tricks, but not employees. They will BR or D0 you sharply without wasting time.
Lol, and someone would have us believe they didn’t pay (PAYE) tax for 6 months cheesy. While it’s not impossible (at risk of calling someone a liar), that would be a very rare exception, and not the norm. To come online and misinform folks confidently that that is the norm, is staggering and beggars belief.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by spacyzuma(m): 10:57am On May 18, 2022
r4blessing:

Honestly I was going to ask the same questions. Why is everything always seen through the prism of racism?

Hi. I saw an old comment of yours where you spoke about choosing between job offers in London and Guernsey. I also see from your more recent comments that you're now in UK, so you must have taken the London offer. Congrats.

May I ask why you didn't take the Guernsey offer? I am being poached by a recruiter for a very attractive offer in Guernsey. I'm doing research on that island and I'm undecided about moving there, lol. I'd like to know if something about the place put you off.

Thanks in anticipation of your reply.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 12:24pm On May 18, 2022
icon8:

Lol, and someone would have us believe they didn’t pay (PAYE) tax for 6 months cheesy. While it’s not impossible (at risk of calling someone a liar), that would be a very rare exception, and not the norm. To come online and misinform folks confidently that that is the norm, is staggering and beggars belief.

HMRC money no dey lost. Of they don't collect it this tax year, they will collect it the next tax year

He will receive a P80 you have paid too little tax
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bourne007(m): 12:47pm On May 18, 2022
Dem dey chase me for this amount self undecided

deept:

HMRC money no dey lost. Of they don't collect it this tax year, they will collect it the next tax year

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 12:54pm On May 18, 2022
deept:

Lol grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.