Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,108 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (439) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177327 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 12:54pm On May 18, 2022
Bourne007:
Dem dey chase me for this amount self undecided

Hahaha grin grin ;. Louder, please!

I’ve been chasing them for my own gbese since the end of the tax year, before they will send my bill after I don chop the money clean mouth, and put me for trouble. I will ring them again today to ask them how much I’m owing, then I’ll issue a banker’s cheque.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:14pm On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Someone gave a clear explanation and you just knocked it off by saying he is wrong.

To dey drop opinion for nairaland sef don dey fear person. Public forum oooooh!!!

FYI, I didn’t get taxed until after about 5-6 months in the uk and I was earning like 2k monthly. My only deduction was NI.

Don't worry you will pay the tax back. They will create a tax code to claw back any tax you didnt pay. You might not even realise they are doing it. My good friend just paid back about £6k
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 1:21pm On May 18, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Don't worry you will pay the tax back. They will create a tax code to claw back any tax you didnt pay. You might not even realise they are doing it. My good friend just paid back about £6k

GBAM! I dey laugh o grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 1:38pm On May 18, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Everybody knows HMRC will collect every dime owed to the last penny, nobody is disputing that. But the fact remains that I didn’t get taxed till about 5-6 months (only NI deduction was reflected on payslip, income tax was always 0.00) and I know a couple of newly arrived that this has happened to. How that happened, I don’t know.

And instead of someone just completely knocking off erico2k2 which I feel he is correct because it kinda applied to me.

And las las I got a letter saying i owed £138

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:43pm On May 18, 2022
deept:

HMRC money no dey lost. Of they don't collect it this tax year, they will collect it the next tax year

He will receive a P80 you have paid too little tax

Hmrc own is way too much......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 1:52pm On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Everybody knows HMRC will collect every dime owed to the last penny, nobody is disputing that. But the fact remains that I didn’t get taxed till about 5-6 months (only NI deduction was reflected on payslip, income tax was always 0.00) and I know a couple of newly arrived that this has happened to. How that happened, I don’t know.

But you didn’t tell us that part before, did you?

That’s the exact point we were making. Yours is an exception (if it indeed happened), not the norm. A lot of mistakes happen due to laziness, high workload, and an array of other reasons. That it happened to you and a few others does not make it the norm, it often comes at a great cost when you have to refund the taxman from the money you have already spent the previous year. The fact is that tax is applied cumulatively from the first pay cycle (week or month - 1/52 or 1/12 as the case may be), not until after you have earned your full allowance for that tax year.

So, to answer the OP’s question again, tax is due for payment from the first wage/salary and their employer was right to have deducted and remitted their tax to HMRC from the first salary. This has nothing to do with tax code or gross earnings.

Waiting for the next person to quote me with the dictionary definition of tax code as if we are children that needed to be schooled cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 2:04pm On May 18, 2022
icon8:

But you didn’t tell us that part before, did you?

That’s the exact point we were making. Yours is an exception (if it indeed happened), not the norm. A lot of mistakes happen due to laziness, high workload, and an array of other reasons. That it happened to you and a few others does not make it the norm, it often comes at a great cost when you have to refund the taxman from the money you have already spent the previous year. The fact is that tax is applied cumulatively from the first pay cycle (week or month - 1/52 or 1/12 as the case may be), not until after you have earned your full allowance for that tax year.

So, to answer the OP’s question again, tax is due for payment from the first wage/salary and their employer was right to have deducted and remitted their tax to HMRC from the first salary. This has nothing to do with tax code or gross earnings.

Waiting for the next person to quote me with the dictionary definition of tax code as if we are children that needed to be schooled cheesy

Noted!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 2:19pm On May 18, 2022
icon8:

Hahaha grin grin ;. Louder, please!

I’ve been chasing them for my own gbese since the end of the tax year, before they will send my bill after I don chop the money clean mouth, and put me for trouble. I will ring them again today to ask them how much I’m owing, then I’ll issue a banker’s cheque.

Take off like 3 hours from work before you do so.
HMRC and Nigerian High Commission are now almost the same thing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 2:23pm On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

And instead of someone just completely knocking off erico2k2 which I feel he is correct because it kinda applied to me.

As icon8 pointed out, you basically withheld this part from your tori.
Again, if you are earning 2k p.c.m as you say, there's no way 5 - 6 months unpaid PAYE tax will be 138 pounds.
Better hold fire on any spending plans first, HMRC fit still dey come.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Missposh: 2:23pm On May 18, 2022
Please is the amex card approval immediately, or do I have to wait a while before they let me know if I'm approved or not?

Mamatukwas:

I use the standard Gold card so can’t really advise. But if you decide and choose to go ahead please use my ref link http://amex.co.uk/refer/uGONNCjkWY?XL=MIMNS

(Insert puppy eyes) thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 2:25pm On May 18, 2022
Missposh:

Please is the amex card approval immediately, or do I have to wait a while before they let me know if I'm approved or not?

All credit card applications are instant, once you apply online, the computer will quickly answer yes or no.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 2:29pm On May 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

I just search for an alternative number from saynoto0870.com. They always answer fast cheesy

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 2:31pm On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Someone gave a clear explanation and you just knocked it off by saying he is wrong.

To dey drop opinion for nairaland sef don dey fear person. Public forum oooooh!!!

FYI, I didn’t get taxed until after about 5-6 months in the uk and I was earning like 2k monthly. My only deduction was NI.
same here. Was not taxed from December. My first tax was this April. Was only paying NI. But I think the reason is because the new tax year begins in April
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 2:37pm On May 18, 2022
mex551:
same here. Was not taxed from December. My first tax was this April. Was only paying NI. But I think the reason is because the new tax year begins in April
Was your total pay from December to March more than 12750? If it's not you won't be taxed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Blazeens: 2:40pm On May 18, 2022
Just to reiterate what others have warned. Credit card is not free money, to spend is easy na to pay back hard. let's all be cautious on spending. i saw someone saying he no get income but got approved by credit card.

No be anyone prayer to enter debt, keep eye clear, spend wisely cause this no be naija, they go take their money laslas. no do pass yourself at all.

I just say may I talk this one because as things dey go for this amex trend i see stories that touch forthcoming in the next few months.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 2:41pm On May 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Again, if you are earning 2k p.c.m as you say, there's no way 5 - 6 months unpaid PAYE tax will be 138 pounds.

Lol. grin grin grin
Make you no give this oga BP, HMRC letters fit make man begin see period.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 2:43pm On May 18, 2022
Also remember that the 12,570 personal allowance applies even if you start work in March (tax year M12), and your salary na 12,565 pounds for that month. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 3:09pm On May 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Wahala be like bicycle cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 3:10pm On May 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Oga HR, you no go kee pesin grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 3:11pm On May 18, 2022
MichaelUde:

Lol. grin grin grin
Make you no give this oga BP, HMRC letters fit make man begin see period.

Kikikikikiki grin grin grin Holy Michael
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dettolgel: 4:33pm On May 18, 2022
Abeg I get question here ooh.

A cousin of mine is studying in the UK and will graduate next (MSc-two year program), last month her employer (normal care 20 hours work week) told her she could sponsor her for full time job. She said she just told her boss that she is a student and not sure if that was possible.

I was discussing with her over the weekend and she told me. I told her it was possible that she should rush back and collect that offer.

But after our conversation I decided to bring it here for your wisdoms and advice.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible for her employer to sponsor her and change her status from student to worker without her finishing her program?

2. How is home office going to react to this?

3. Is her school going to write home office or something?

Please those of you with experience on matters like your wisdom will be of great help.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 5:10pm On May 18, 2022
Missposh:

It’s usually immediately. Some people are approved but have to wait to find out how much limit they are given.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by r4blessing: 6:08pm On May 18, 2022
spacyzuma:

cided about moving there, lol. I'd like to know if something about the place put you off.

Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Yes I chose the London offer but only because I wanted to do my post grad studies as well.

I still prefer the island, it’s less stressful and your take home is higher due to the lesser tax charge

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Raalsalghul: 6:26pm On May 18, 2022
dettolgel:
Abeg I get question here ooh.

A cousin of mine is studying in the UK and will graduate next (MSc-two year program), last month her employer (normal care 20 hours work week) told her she could sponsor her for full time job. She said she just told her boss that she is a student and not sure if that was possible.

I was discussing with her over the weekend and she told me. I told her it was possible that she should rush back and collect that offer.

But after our conversation I decided to bring it here for your wisdoms and advice.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible for her employer to sponsor her and change her status from student to worker without her finishing her program?

2. How is home office going to react to this?

3. Is her school going to write home office or something?

Please those of you with experience on matters like your wisdom will be of great help.

We've had examples like this previously on this thread where someone converted from a student visa to Tier 2 directly. She should carry out her findings, I think it's possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:35pm On May 18, 2022
phyl123:

It depends on your tax code, if you started work after the tax year has begun and you have got M1 after your code e.g 1200L M1 you will be taxed on a monthly basis but if your tax code is simply 1200L it will be accumulated until you have earned more than your personal allowance.
You my friend understands how the tax works, the problem with the newbies is the like to jump into conclusion without properly analysing the whole fact. Another fact is this two people might work in same place earn same 24k per year but mr A might take home more than Mr B cos of tax codes. Back in the early and late 200os you get a cheque back cos you have been overtaxed cos your tax code was based on BR 20% but these days HMRC have upgraded instead of returning your overtaxed money the simply adjust your tax code to reflect the money they owe you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 7:41pm On May 18, 2022
AlphaUno:
Hello house,

URGENT!
Anyone has a sure plug (an agent) for rented apartments (2 bed) in and round Ellesmere Port, Birkenhead, Chester and Liverpool for a family of 4 that just relocated to the UK about 2 weeks ago. The family is ready to cough out 3 months rent upfront.

Or better still, anyone with a 2 rooms in a flat to sublet for a short period of time (1 to 2 months)

NOTE: rightmove and other sites have not been helpful

Where exactly do you need this accommodation as this your request are miles apart
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:41pm On May 18, 2022
Viruses:

No thank am o. His explanation is wrong even though he sounded confident.

Tax allowance = 12k plus
Annual salary = 24k (assumption)
Monthly salary = 2k.
Taxable income = 12k (i.e 24k -12k)

You will be taxed monthly throughout the tax cycle (i.e one year). Meaning instead of paying tax on 2k monthly, you will be paying tax on 1k monthly. If your salary is less than the tax allowance (i.e 12k plus), you won't pay tax at all.

His explanation is you won't be taxed for the first 6 months till you have earned above 12k and that is wrong.
You are getting it wrong I never put a time scale on it, I just said when you earn above your tax code which is your taxfree money. for example if you start a new job May this year and you earn 2k B4 tax and you decide to quit and take a break and go to Nigeria by September and yor tax code is 12000L, howmuch tax would you pay lets see if we get thte gist
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:42pm On May 18, 2022
Viruses:
I want to apply for Amex credit card and I'm looking at Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card or The American Express® Rewards Credit Card. Does any one have review on any of these that can guide my decision?
What credit card do you already own and howlong is your credit history in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:44pm On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

YOu will get to know that some people who talk like this are basically assuming and do not earn £1 in the UK, for the 15 years I have been on this Forum I have seen loads like that nothing surprises me these days grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:47pm On May 18, 2022
deept:

HMRC money no dey lost. Of they don't collect it this tax year, they will collect it the next tax year

He will receive a P80 you have paid too little tax
These days they will just adjust your taxcode, however people do not spend time viewing thier P60s
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:49pm On May 18, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Ask your friend very well if he is self Employed he is the one who failed to remit tax however if he is PAYE someone else's was working with his name knowingly or unknowingly
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by erico2k2(m): 7:51pm On May 18, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

well at times its the fault of your employer. However you can challenge this if you check your tax code and work it out cos they are not always right, toomany people jst pay

(1) (2) (3) ... (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.