Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (483) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177259 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jadepinkett(f): 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2022
Viruses:
Who has referral link to any bank that offer virtual card that I can use and destroy. I've been helping folks make payment lately and I have to take extra care to uncheck 'auto renew'. I don't want to take chances again so I just need a card that I can use and destroy.

Join me and over 18 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/chinweo2pz!JUN1-22-AR

You can use Revolut
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 7:12pm On Jun 21, 2022
jadepinkett:

Join me and over 18 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/chinweo2pz!JUN1-22-AR

You can use Revolut

I used somebody's revolut referral link. I've completed 3 transaction kindly check your account and send me my own token
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 7:32pm On Jun 21, 2022
Monese,

Join Monese and get up to £30 once you start spending! Just enter my invite code when you sign up: OLUW415.

Download the app here: https://www.mone.se/7vQs/j5g8c3l3
Viruses:
Who has referral link to any bank that offer virtual card that I can use and destroy. I've been helping folks make payment lately and I have to take extra care to uncheck 'auto renew'. I don't want to take chances again so I just need a card that I can use and destroy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 7:41pm On Jun 21, 2022
Phayie:

I used somebody's revolut referral link. I've completed 3 transaction kindly check your account and send me my own token

Someone used my link that I'm yet to send their token, don't know if it's you. Send me a pm to be sure.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 8:36pm On Jun 21, 2022
Estroller:

Someone used my link that I'm yet to send their token, don't know if it's you. Send me a pm to be sure.

Check your dm
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:
Hi all, I think I need a bit of encouragement. I moved to the UK on a student visa in December. Before relocating, I was doing quite well back home. Earned around 2-3m monthly profit after expenses from my business. In fact, I wanted to reward myself with a Range Rover Evoque (about 13m) then but Nigeria was in a bad state and I used up my savings to fund my relocation. I landed with high hopes, about £4000 in cash. The reason for my earlier statements is not to brag, but to show you that I was doing well, and I just felt coming here would be saner. I loved it here whenever I travel for vacation, so I was without doubt that life here would be easier.

To my main aim of writing, I think I am depressed. I could not find a job in my first 3 months here. The only job available that most students were doing was care, and I wasnt vaccinated, so I could not start. I eventually started in March and the job gives me a mental breakdown each time. I am on my feet for 11 hours, and get sent around by staff who feel they are better than agency workers, I get hit by residents, I have been racially abused several times ,I did it for 2 months and I had to quit.

I have looked for warehouse jobs, not been lucky. Even customer care work, they reject because of my visa status. I am fast losing it, there is so much my brain can take as a woman. Does anyone know how else I can get a job, I stay in Bradford, so anything around Leeds is fine. I can even work in Manchester if the pay is okay. Please help.

Hang in there. What you are going through is not unusual. You just need to keep moving forward, one step at a time, until these tough times eventually pass. Someday, in the not too distant future, you will look back and smile, when you remember this moment and how far you have come. This country is filled with opportunities and I believe your time will come, as long as you keep doing the right things and you don’t quit. Bless you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AirBay: 9:49pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:
Ameryx

The skills that made you millions in Nigeria can make you thousands of pounds here in UK. Just take a break and think of how you can apply these skilks in UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phayie(m): 9:56pm On Jun 21, 2022
Estroller:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mindlog: 10:19pm On Jun 21, 2022
ayosco2008:
Hello.

Anyone here living in coventry? Looking to rent a 2 bed in coventry. Anyone with an agent link or know any vacant house will be appreciated.

Thank you.

When checking on Zoopla etc, zoom in on CV2 area as such is cheaper there and about 15mins bus ride to Coventry university (if that's where you are headed to)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 10:20pm On Jun 21, 2022
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to write project management certification and I've decided to go for the prince2 certification. I'm confused which to choose between the prince2 agile and the normal prince2. I want to do the foundation course now and test waters before doing the practitioners. I see agile has prospect and many future opportunities as it's used mostly in the IT sector, unfortunately, I don't have any background in IT, so I feel it might be a setback.

Project managers here or anyone in the project management industry should please advise me. I'm planning to take the course before month-end. I'm tired of this survival jobs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2022
Phayie:

I don't know how this stuffs work pls kindly send me Whats App message on +234 7 0 3 3 4 3 9 7 8 7

I've replied you, check your email
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 10:26pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:
Hi all, I think I need a bit of encouragement. I moved to the UK on a student visa in December. Before relocating, I was doing quite well back home. Earned around 2-3m monthly profit after expenses from my business. In fact, I wanted to reward myself with a Range Rover Evoque (about 13m) then but Nigeria was in a bad state and I used up my savings to fund my relocation. I landed with high hopes, about £4000 in cash. The reason for my earlier statements is not to brag, but to show you that I was doing well, and I just felt coming here would be saner. I loved it here whenever I travel for vacation, so I was without doubt that life here would be easier.

To my main aim of writing, I think I am depressed. I could not find a job in my first 3 months here. The only job available that most students were doing was care, and I wasnt vaccinated, so I could not start. I eventually started in March and the job gives me a mental breakdown each time. I am on my feet for 11 hours, and get sent around by staff who feel they are better than agency workers, I get hit by residents, I have been racially abused several times ,I did it for 2 months and I had to quit.

I have looked for warehouse jobs, not been lucky. Even customer care work, they reject because of my visa status. I am fast losing it, there is so much my brain can take as a woman. Does anyone know how else I can get a job, I stay in Bradford, so anything around Leeds is fine. I can even work in Manchester if the pay is okay. Please help.

Please don't be discouraged and don't let anyone lied to you that you made a bad decision to leave Nigeria. try and get sample Uk Cvs online and tailor your experience and skills to it, now subscribe to lots of job boards. Don't be deceived, there are thousands of vacancies in the UK, especially in the north where you are. Even with your visa status, you're not at a disadvantage at all. Have a positive mindset and look ahead. You will be fine and be back here to give your success story

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 10:32pm On Jun 21, 2022
yolkman20:
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to write project management certification and I've decided to go for the prince2 certification. I'm confused which to choose between the prince2 agile and the normal prince2. I want to do the foundation course now and test waters before doing the practitioners. I see agile has prospect and many future opportunities as it's used mostly in the IT sector, unfortunately, I don't have any background in IT, so I feel it might be a setback.

Project managers here or anyone in the project management industry should please advise me. I'm planning to take the course before month-end. I'm tired of this survival jobs.

I will suggest you go for the normal prince 2 first to have a solid foundation around project management especially as prince 2 is still relevant in the job market for project manager roles and PMO roles. After you get your prince 2 and perhaps get a job with it, you can now go ahead and learn about agile, get certified and push ahead. If I were in your shoes this is what I will do rather than jump straight into the unknown especially since you said you have no experience in IT yet.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2022
Goke7:

I will suggest you go for the normal prince 2 first to have a solid foundation around project management especially as prince 2 is still relevant in the job market for project manager roles and PMO roles. After you get your prince 2 and perhaps get a job with it, you can now go ahead and learn about agile, get certified and push ahead. If I were in your shoes this is what I will do rather than jump straight into the unknown especially since you said you have no experience in IT yet.

Thanks so much. I appreciate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ticha: 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:

To my main aim of writing, I think I am depressed. I could not find a job in my first 3 months here. I did it for 2 months and I had to quit.

Hang in there. It will get better. You have determination, grit and skills. That's the toolkit you need.
My first UK job - my manager was a 19 year old. He was the crassest idiot I ever came across. It was depressing and many times I often wondered why I moved over. There were times I would cry all the way to work and all the way back home. It was depressing and I can easily see how depression is a huge issue in most developed countries. There were many weeks I would eat once every 2 days if I wanted to ensure my rent was paid and I had money for petrol. However once I realised going back to 9ja wasn't even an option, I basically had to sit up and shape up which meant remaining in that job.
I worked care at night and at WH (William Hill) during the day and gradually moved to supported living then segued into teaching.

Was it easy? No.
Is it doable? Yes

Hang in there please. Do not give up!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 10:52pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ameryx:
Hi all, I think I need a bit of encouragement. I moved to the UK on a student visa in December.
Do not regret your decision to relocate because opportunities abound where you are now. But I think you may have to tolerate whatever job that comes your way in the interim seeing the limitations you have at the moment (e.g visa status). In the near future, you will look back and smile at the past perhaps forgetting how you scaled through.

Another thing that may help is to consider acquiring a skill that can fetch you money without resorting to care job e.g hair dressing, uber driving, buying and reselling items etc.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 11:00pm On Jun 21, 2022
Kindly proceed with the 'normal' Prince2 foundation course now Get it done and dusted.
Thereafter, as I understand it, you can choose to continue with Prince2 practioner or Prince2 Agile practitioner directly.
The current iteration should be PRINCE2 6th Ed. I guess.
PS : It's over a decade now for me. I remembered going to Milton Keynes then. I guess Goke7 is more current or hands-on.
yolkman20:
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to write project management certification and I've decided to go for the prince2 certification. I'm [iu]confused which to choose between the prince2 agile and the normal prince2[/u]. I want to do the foundation course now and test waters before doing the practitioners. I see agile has prospect and many future opportunities as it's used mostly in the IT sector, ... ...
Goke7:
I will suggest you go for the normal prince 2 first to have a solid foundation around project management ...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 12:25am On Jun 22, 2022
Hi elders. Pls what amount is considered bulk money by visa team. 50k, 100k and above?
Applying for visa for mu mum, I am Trying to explain bulk money in her account as she was denied the last time because of the bulk money.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 12:26am On Jun 22, 2022
Phayie:

Check your dm

Not you mate, sorry for the trouble.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:33am On Jun 22, 2022
yolkman20:
Hello everyone,

Foundation should suffice but I’d advise you to get well versed with the Agile Methodology so you can sell this at job interviews, it’s pretty easy. Also this is unsolicited but I just thought to add as an added advice. if you don’t have any experience in Project Management, please volunteer as a Project Manager for any of these organisations looking for Volunteer Project Managers. That can help to boost your CV by a mile (don’t add that a voluntary role on the CV though, it should appear as a paid job). Finally, tailor your CV to look like you have a background in Project Management. Goodluck with your exam.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by nineville(m): 12:36am On Jun 22, 2022
onecoder:
Travelled to this schegen country some weeks ago.
On arrival at the border, the woman kept on staring and scratching my passport like there is eba on the sticker. grin
I later showed her my brp before she later calm down.
It's so annoying

Hello Coder & other members that have gone this route as a student.

please I need your informed opinion.

Filling out my Schengen visa application now and I got stuck in type of visa entry. Is it single, double or multiple entries for a 3-month short-stay visa application? Please note, I am on a tier-4 student visa. Don't want to be denied because I create an impression of a nonserious student and gallivanting by selecting multiple entries. cheesy
Meanwhile, what I am trying to do is to save cost and rigour of visa applications.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samint1: 4:35am On Jun 22, 2022
Thank you
divinegrace4me:
Mine arrived less than 2 weeks...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by samint1: 4:38am On Jun 22, 2022
My wife did actually
Khafsun:

Hello, I saw a post of yours from last year asking some details about Aston university. I don't know if you later went through with. I have some questions if you don't mind. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:19am On Jun 22, 2022
Ameryx:

You are going through changes so it’s not going to be easy considering your position before coming here.
You definitely can pull through this because you have what it takes.

Just like you I started my life here in Bradford and it was hell on earth, spent 6yrs in that city and I walked through tramps to survive but guess what? It’s history now.

I visited practically every job agencies in that city to register with them and I got my first job as a student through that method.
Abused? Yes I received loads but I keep going because I needed that money for my school fees, rent and bills.

Never give up, you are there already and will come out even stronger. The UK does things to people who digs in.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by yolkman20: 6:57am On Jun 22, 2022
semmyk:
Kindly proceed with the 'normal' Prince2 foundation course now Get it done and dusted.
Thereafter, as I understand it, you can choose to continue with Prince2 practioner or Prince2 Agile practitioner directly.
The current iteration should be PRINCE2 6th Ed. I guess.
PS : It's over a decade now for me. I remembered going to Milton Keynes then. I guess Goke7 is more current or hands-on.

Amarathripple0:

Foundation should suffice but I’d advise you to get well versed with the Agile Methodology so you can sell this at job interviews, it’s pretty easy. Also this is unsolicited but I just thought to add as an added advice. if you don’t have any experience in Project Management, please volunteer as a Project Manager for any of these organisations looking for Volunteer Project Managers. That can help to boost your CV by a mile (don’t add that a voluntary role on the CV though, it should appear as a paid job). Finally, tailor your CV to look like you have a background in Project Management. Goodluck with your exam.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll do the needful. I've worked as a warehouse & logistics manager/supervisor back home, so I feel that's enough to proof that I've got experience managing people (projects.)

@amarathriple0, I will research and apply for these voluntary roles, but I'd appreciate if you can share links or info about companies offering these voluntary roles.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Peerielass: 8:32am On Jun 22, 2022
Ameryx:

To my main aim of writing, I think I am depressed. I could not find a job in my first 3 months here. The only job available that most students were doing was care, and I wasnt vaccinated, so I could not start. I eventually started in March and the job gives me a mental breakdown each time. I am on my feet for 11 hours, and get sent around by staff who feel they are better than agency workers, I get hit by residents, .

I’m sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Moving abroad and starting life afresh is not always easy. Some people are very fortunate to be recruited into professional jobs directly from Nigeria so they have an entirely different experience from yours, and may not understand where you are coming from. However that does not mean they are going to be more successful in the long run. A lot of opportunities abound here and it’s just a question of time before you find your own niche.

In the meantime, hang in there and focus on your studies. I also came to UK as a student and did all sorts of menial jobs but I never attempted care work because it just didn’t float my boat. Instead I did a lot of events management/waitressing, worked in super markets and also food factories. So you don’t have to work in care if you don’t like it, I imagine there will be a lot of other options available these days.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 22, 2022
nineville:

Hello Coder & other members that have gone this route as a student.

please I need your informed opinion.

Filling out my Schengen visa application now and I got stuck in type of visa entry. Is it single, double or multiple entries for a 3-month short-stay visa application? Please note, I am on a tier-4 student visa. Don't want to be denied because I create an impression of a nonserious student and gallivanting by selecting multiple entries. cheesy
Meanwhile, what I am trying to do is to save cost and rigour of visa applications.
I have no idea what you should choose tbh.
I applied for 14days single entry and ended up spending 11 days.
My visa was granted for the total number of days I requested.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by moskito36(m): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2022
Hello,
Sorry to hear about what you are going through.
If you are in Bradford, and you don't mind working in care, there are shifts that you can pick at my trust in Wakefield.
It is a mental health trust, the job is less stressful like care home, and less incidents reported.
You can search "SugarMan leeds" as they are the ones that handles most of the shifts.
If you need more information, please send a PM.

Ameryx:

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 9:18am On Jun 22, 2022
yolkman20:

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll do the needful. I've worked as a warehouse & logistics manager/supervisor back home, so I feel that's enough to proof that I've got experience managing people (projects.)

@amarathriple0, I will research and apply for these voluntary roles, but I'd appreciate if you can share links or info about companies offering these voluntary roles.

I’d still alter the job experience title on the CV if I were you. Eg from Logistics Manager to Project Manager. Tailor your CV based on the roles you are applying for as generic CV’s won’t fly. If you are applying for a logistics manager position then by all means, leave the title on your CV as Logistics Manager.

You can search for volunteer project manager roles on google and LinkedIn. Some roles will pop up but also check the sites below.

https://reachvolunteering.org.uk/
https://www.volunteermatch.org/search
https://www.charityjob.co.uk/

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 9:23am On Jun 22, 2022
yolkman20:

I once got a volunteer product manager role from charityjob.co.uk. You can check it out and I think it's one of the sites amarathriple0 posted

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 9:30am On Jun 22, 2022
Amarathripple0:

My advise or suggestion, because of his lack of experience around IT and so he doesn't try to struggle much understanding both the traditional project management and agile methodologies at the same time which can quite be a bit difficult for new learners from my experience as someone who also teaches agile, it's kind of safer for him to get grounded in project management fundamentals first and then volunteer as a project manager as you have advised before going to learn about agile but if he's mentally strong enough to learn both at the same time, then good for him. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by alongetayo: 11:08am On Jun 22, 2022
Ray7878:

Yes you can, but make sure you have a L plate plastered to your car, and someone that has a full UK licence for over 3 years sits next to you when you drive. You can or have to change the Nigerian licence over to a provisional one after some time though.

Whao. The summary of it is that I can't drive alone with my naija licence?

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.