Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (481) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1191568 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 9:30am On Jun 20, 2022
Maturedhustler:

Just giving update on my plan as I know that am vulnerable as JJC visiting London with family.
I booked a return flight through Gatwick airport and got AirBnB Accomodation in Osterley (almost 800 quids for 6 days- one month rent for Glasgow). Accommodation price is crazy in & very close to London.

We plan to use train from Airport to the AirBnB and moving to London central. I am already exploring visitlondon site (thanks Lexusgs430)

Is it possible to have family /children discount for train tickets? Discount for Pass/tourist attractions site

Hope am still in line or is there anything I can improve on for enjoyable, cost effective and safe trip?

I am open to make final changes that are possible.

Thanks

You like to waka o.......... grin

Why did you book a flight to Gatwick, then head to Heathrow, to lay your heads......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 20, 2022
Maturedhustler:

Just giving update on my plan as I know that am vulnerable as JJC visiting London with family.
I booked a return flight through Gatwick airport and got AirBnB Accomodation in Osterley (almost 800 quids for 6 days- one month rent for Glasgow). Accommodation price is crazy in & very close to London.

We plan to use train from Airport to the AirBnB and moving to London central. I am already exploring visitlondon site (thanks Lexusgs430)

Is it possible to have family /children discount for train tickets? Discount for Pass/tourist attractions site

Hope am still in line or is there anything I can improve on for enjoyable, cost effective and safe trip?

I am open to make final changes that are possible.

Thanks
The last time I visited London. Booked a room for £35 per night. Just 8miles from where I wanted to visit. Then I took underground trains which takes 35-45min to the centre.
The underground trains add to the fun grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 10:32am On Jun 20, 2022
Lexusgs430:

You like to waka o.......... grin

Why did you book a flight to Gatwick, then head to Heathrow, to lay your heads......... cheesy

I got cheaper easy jet flight to Gatwick ( l can still change to Luton/Stansteed. If it makes sense). I also got reasonable accommodation close to Heathrow.

London Accomodations too cost for big family. I can’t finish all my savings visiting London grin

But people can still advise me on better way to get this done. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Romoller: 10:39am On Jun 20, 2022
Please is it possible for a master’s student to change to tier 2? Not immediately but assuming I accept the offer and they give me COS by September(course ending date). Any risk?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 10:55am On Jun 20, 2022
It is possible. No risk as by this time, you should have completed all your taught modules and be on your dissertation. If that's the case, let your employer know so that your start date will ideally be after your dissertation completion. Alternatively, you can speak with your school since you might need a letter from them for your employer.
Also depending on the employer, pre-employment checks take anything from 3 weeks - 3 months so you might not even need to do anything out of the ordinary.
People have switched before the end of their studies without issues.
Romoller:
Please is it possible for a master’s student to change to tier 2? Not immediately but assuming I accept the offer and they give me COS by September(course ending date). Any risk?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 11:40am On Jun 20, 2022
koonbey:

It's the most senseless thing I have ever seen.

Of course it's common sense to associate with people who you like and feel are beneficial, and avoid those that aren't, be they Nigerians or from anywhere else. What's foolish is to tar Nigerians with the same brush because your friend's wife said something or some people at a Nigerian party did another thing, or whatever else. Some of the most successful immigrant communities are those that are very communal, which is the same thing some would tag "famzing" or "ITK".

It reeks of poor-man's snobbery with some "I better pass my neighbour" sprinkled in.

The truth is, whether you live in Nigeria or abroad, you choose your friends carefully irrespective of where they come from, but when you go to extreme length to avoid your own kind then there’s something wrong with you. The best service I received for my car was from a Nigerian mechanic. I saw him on google and not ashamed to say I chose his service because of his Nigerian name, I felt I was supporting one of my own. If we don’t support each other who else would? Other races do same. It happened that he was very professional and friendly and he charged us the going rate. He took a lot of pride in his job. The car was ready a day before he promised and we gave him a glowing reference on trust pilot.
If our experience was the opposite we wouldn’t go there again but it wouldn’t be enough to write off all Nigerians. It’s not easy being discriminated against by other races, when your own come join. Na whahala be dat. Abi no be juju be dat?. grin grin

24 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
penurypredator:

Got another email hours back saying they needed to see last 3 months account statement showing salary being paid. Had to drop a mail for my bank asking if they can send that to my address because Monzo allows me to either generate for June or all time statement.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
In a nutshell, we sent all the docs across and contract signed.
Got to know the reason the whole documents requested were quite a lot. So landlord just bought the house last month and we were going to be his first ever tenant so he was quite scared he said.
Turned out he’s a really cool bloke and even dropped off a bottle of champagne for us before leaving.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
marylandcakes:

The truth is, whether you live in Nigeria or abroad, you choose your friends carefully irrespective of where they come from, but when you go to extreme length to avoid your own kind then there’s something wrong with you. The best service I received for my car was from a Nigerian mechanic. I saw him on google and not ashamed to say I chose his service because of his Nigerian name, I felt I was supporting one of my own. If we don’t support each other who else would? Other races do same. It happened that he was very professional and friendly and he charged us the going rate. He took a lot of pride in his job. The car was ready a day before he promised and we gave him a glowing reference on trust pilot.
If our experience was the opposite we wouldn’t go there again but it wouldn’t be enough to write off all Nigerians. It’s not easy being discriminated against by other races, when your own come join. Na whahala be dat. Abi no be juju be dat?. grin grin

Very happy to read this.

My experience with Nigerians has been stellar as well. From first days of looking for accommodation and settling in to working a part-time job and now full time in a very regulated field, fellow Nigerians have been pivotal. Every ”foreigner” I’ve interacted with who spoke about Nigerians has done so in glowing terms, talking about their friends or coworkers and how hardworking and kind they are.

Like you said, it’s simple: associate with people who are good and cut off those that aren’t regardless of their race.

My suspicion is those people who keep hammering “avoid Nigerians” are suffering from ingrained house negro inferiority complex where they feel compelled to proclaim “I’m one of them but I’m not like them” every chance they get.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 5:42pm On Jun 20, 2022
Pls do I need travel insurance to travel between Glasgow and London?

The airline was asking for it but felt it’s generic and consider NHS cover should be adequate. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
Please what other options can I use as proof of residence.
I rented a room in a flat and the utility bill is not in my name. Will a lease agreement signed by me and the landlord suffice?
1. If the landlord gives me a support letter
2. If my University issue a support letter, stating my address
3. I have a Revolut account. Could the statement of account from Revolut work?

I need this document to open a bank acount with one of the conventional banks- NATWEST. I intend to go to the branch as the online account opening process has stressed my life for several days. Its quite a distance from my place so I want to be fairly sure of my success. Thanks.

NB.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
santos247:
Please what other options can I use as proof of residence.
I rented a room in a flat and the utility bill is not in my name. Will a lease agreement signed by me and the landlord suffice?
1. If the landlord gives me a support letter
2. If my University issue a support letter, stating my address
3. I have a Revolut account. Could the statement of account from Revolut work?

I need this document to open a bank acount with one of the conventional banks- NATWEST. I intend to go to the branch as the online account opening process has stressed my life for several days. Its quite a distance from my place so I want to be fairly sure of my success. Thanks.

NB.

Yes. Just go with your signed lease agreement and university letter. The former should suffice but just take the Uni letter as well just in case.

Revolut is not a UK bank. Most organisations don't recognise their statements.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by alongetayo: 6:18pm On Jun 20, 2022
Pls, a quick question.
Can I use my Nigerian drivers license for the first year in UK? Or is it a must I get this international drivers license?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
Maturedhustler:

The airline was asking for it but felt it’s generic and consider NHS cover should be adequate. Thanks

Check if your bank account offers travel insurance........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 7:20pm On Jun 20, 2022
alongetayo:
Pls, a quick question.
Can I use my Nigerian drivers license for the first year in UK? Or is it a must I get this international drivers license?
Yes, you can
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2022
Travel insurance is beyond medical issues, it also covers loss of bags, theft, missing flights due to reasonable reasons, flight cancellations etc.

Maturedhustler:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2022
Hi Fam abeg i need ideas lol.. i am visiting Nigeria very soon.
Can anyone suggest gift ideas that won’t break bank.
The only thing that is coming to mind is perfume.. but my issue with this is the very very good ones can be extremely pricey.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by humility101: 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
I greet everyone, please who knows any phone shop that can give me iPhone 13 pro max on contract. I have only been here for just 7 weeks.

O2 rejected me 2 weeks ago cos I still dey new.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
Chocolates .lol
Irenenwaka:
Hi Fam abeg i need ideas lol.. i am visiting Nigeria very soon.
Can anyone suggest gift ideas that won’t break bank.
The only thing that is coming to mind is perfume.. but my issue with this is the very very good ones can be extremely pricey.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bukad(m): 8:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Thanks a lot for delivering. Nice one
Lexusgs430:

Send a WhatsApp message.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Johnpaul1099: 8:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
alongetayo:
Pls, a quick question.
and I just paid for my international driver's license today, I'm really pained
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
Please secondly, i have a very close friend who is based in the uk. His fiancée is currently in Nigeria. He intends bringing her over. Currently they have done trads and will only do a court wedding.

My question: I have heard that the home office don’t accept documents from all courts in Nigeria. Please they would like to the wedding in imo state, is this possible? And Can anyone recommend any courts they have previously used in Imo state and whose document is acceptable by the UKVI.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by alongetayo: 8:32pm On Jun 20, 2022
mizGene:

Yes, you can

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by alongetayo: 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
Johnpaul1099:
and I just paid for my international driver's license today, I'm really pained

Sorry about that. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 8:43pm On Jun 20, 2022
Hello people. If you opened the chase account with my link,

use my referral code

w45NfjEF

To claim your £20 bonus
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 8:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
humility101:
I greet everyone, please who knows any phone shop that can give me iPhone 13 pro max on contract. I have only been here for just 7 weeks.

You don’t mean it…
If you really need that iPhone 13 pro max so bad u can buy it cash and avoid rejection…… you’ll continue chopping rejection if you continue applying until you get good credit history

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Bukad:
Thanks a lot for delivering. Nice one

Was I the midwife......... cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
humility101:

Kuku wait, 14 pro max go soon comot .......... smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
cheesy grin

And he go don get small credit history by then.

Lexusgs430:

Kuku wait, 14 pro max go soon comot .......... smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ZariatoCanada: 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2022
Hello guys, Landed in Birmingham 4 days ago and I have been in an Airbnb with my spouse. Looking to get a 1 bed flat not too far from city center as the one week I booked for Airbnb is almost exhausted. Would really appreciate Anyone in Birmingham that can help as I can’t continue paying for Airbnb for too long.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
humility101:

I don't like your ,mentality at all. Abroad is not naija. why do you want to impress since God has answered your prayers and free you from shackles of naija materials use. who cares in abroad, if you use iphone or not. instead of you to focus on how to get good pay job, and time yourself later, of you still want that phone without putting burdens on yourself cos of credit. USA is not naija my brother. Thank God for life

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:59pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mayorofodemu:
I don't like your ,mentality at all. Abroad is not naija. why do you want to impress since God has answered your prayers and free you from shackles of naija materials use. who cares in abroad, if you use iphone or not. instead of you to focus on how to get good pay job, and time yourself later, of you still want that phone without putting burdens on yourself cos of credit. USA is not naija my brother. Thank God for life
Really?
Do you know what he/she wants to use the phone for?
Do you know if he/she can afford it?
Not every student needs to work here.
Please stop rushing to conclusion.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 11:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
alongetayo:
Pls, a quick question.

Yes you can, but make sure you have a L plate plastered to your car, and someone that has a full UK licence for over 3 years sits next to you when you drive. You can or have to change the Nigerian licence over to a provisional one after some time though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.