Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (480) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177133 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ZariatoCanada: 7:14am On Jun 19, 2022
ZariatoCanada:
@omopapa or any other senior in the house, please I need to change some naira to pounds. Kindly reach out ASAP.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ITSAZA: 7:53am On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=ZariatoCanada post=113943152][/quote]
You have to be careful with your transaction!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ITSAZA: 7:54am On Jun 19, 2022
ITSAZA:

You have to be careful with your transaction!
First to comment here, my first time though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 8:15am On Jun 19, 2022
Responses on this thread are factual (based on facts), experience (hands-on), research, insights; devoid of derailing.
Doing otherwise risk the sledgehammer of @justwise @DisGuy (who have kept this thread flowing with great tolerance and insightful understanding).

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:41am On Jun 19, 2022
What model would you recommend for a first car (in the UK)?

I just need something to take me to the office and back (10km each way) three times a week, primarily. I cycle everywhere normally and love it but would need the car as winter approaches.

So just a tool - nothing fancy.

I'm a big guy so can't do one of those Corsas or VW Up!s.

Currently looking at the Toyota Corolla or Ford Fiesta/Focus range.

Kindly advise on what your preference would be and reasonable spend?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:47am On Jun 19, 2022
koonbey:
What model would you recommend for a first car (in the UK)?

I just need something to take me to the office and back (10km each way) three times a week, primarily. I cycle everywhere normally and love it but would need the car as winter approaches.

So just a tool - nothing fancy.

I'm a big guy so can't do one of those Corsas or VW Up!s.

Currently looking at the Toyota Corolla or Ford Fiesta/Focus range.

Kindly advise on what your preference would be and reasonable spend?

"Reasonable" is in the eye or the pocket of the beholder. Only you know what you can afford.
Regarding used cars, note that finance interest rates are always high.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 19, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

"Reasonable" is in the eye or the pocket of the beholder. Only you know what you can afford.
Regarding used cars, note that finance interest rates are always high.

Thanks. I mean reasonable in the context of those models and the purpose.

I'm looking to pay upfront, not finance. Budget is flexible and primary consideration is reliability.

I asked here because I once saw someone quote a price to someone who was looking to finance, saying he could instead buy a cheap car for that figure, but I can't trace the comment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:18am On Jun 19, 2022
koonbey:

Thanks. I mean reasonable in the context of those models and the purpose.

I'm looking to pay upfront, not finance. Budget is flexible and primary consideration is reliability.

I asked here because I once saw someone quote a price to someone who was looking to finance, saying he could instead buy a cheap car for that figure, but I can't trace the comment.

Any car will serve that purpose.
A 2022 Ford Focus or a 2021 Corolla will be fine in that context, and so will a 2006 Focus or a 99 Corolla.
If you want to buy a car, look into your pocket and decide what you can afford.
Then start looking for a car in that price range.
Obviously for some old cars, any money you put in is basically a gambling stake - if something major or just average goes wrong, you might end up scrapping the car. For some, such as the tongue-in-cheek car for 750 quid someone put up here once, the cost of buying tyres alone could match that of the car, for instance.

All in all, that's the size of the information you can really rely upon for buying old used cars - map out budget, seek car, buy car, write off car price simultaneously and sit back and enjoy the ride.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 19, 2022
BouharryArtikou:

Very true.
I found the attacks by those I labelled ‘Angry Birds’ very disgusting.

They spew so much hatred for Nigerians, even advise Nigerians to run away from fellow Nigerians. Yet they are on Nairaland.

It's the most senseless thing I have ever seen.

Of course it's common sense to associate with people who you like and feel are beneficial, and avoid those that aren't, be they Nigerians or from anywhere else. What's foolish is to tar Nigerians with the same brush because your friend's wife said something or some people at a Nigerian party did another thing, or whatever else. Some of the most successful immigrant communities are those that are very communal, which is the same thing some would tag "famzing" or "ITK".

It reeks of poor-man's snobbery with some "I better pass my neighbour" sprinkled in.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 19, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Any car will serve that purpose.
A 2022 Ford Focus or a 2021 Corolla will be fine in that context, and so will a 2006 Focus or a 99 Corolla.
If you want to buy a car, look into your pocket and decide what you can afford.
Then start looking for a car in that price range.
Obviously for some old cars, any money you put in is basically a gambling stake - if something major or just average goes wrong, you might end up scrapping the car. For some, such as the tongue-in-cheek car for 750 quid someone put up here once, the cost of buying tyres alone could match that of the car, for instance.

All in all, that's the size of the information you can really rely upon for buying old used cars - map out budget, seek car, buy car, write off car price simultaneously and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Merci beaucoup. This is very helpful.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 19, 2022
icon8:
Our people and their penchant for telling people how to live their lives. Someone asked a very specific question about car financing and people would rather advise them of buying a dead car, while ignoring the question asked. If they wanted your advice on what type of car to buy, they would have asked just that.

By the way, not every newcomer or foreign student is poor. Someone planning to buy a £6k car certainly knows why they want just that, and the type/model/age of car they want to own. Quit being sanctimonious and answer the question if you can, or simply ignore/look away if you don’t have an answer. Your unsolicited advice is not always welcome.

@OP, access to credit is based on your credit profile/records/score, and that, more often than not, is dependent on how long you have been in the country. While it is not impossible to get a car finance as a student, especially with 50% equity contribution in your case, it will certainly be expensive. In a nutshell, give it a shot.

This is an unfair response. Perhaps valid to the extent of asking people to stay on topic but the rest of the vitriol is unwarranted.

The people who responded as they did, gave their advice in good faith especially in the knowledge that the person who asked it might not have the full context of things like price ranges available, ancillary costs (insurance, tax etc), as well as potential impact on their credit etc.

Moreover, it's also logical that if one cannot afford to pay 6k for a car upfront, perhaps taking a loan might not be the best idea because one wants to continue driving the same kind of car as in Nigeria?

In all, you really should just have chipped in your own answer (which boiled down to "I don't know" at the end) and allowed the OP sift through to make their own decision.

In my view, it's a net benefit for the community here to have more answers than necessary instead of people treading on eggshells because they don't want to be seen as ITK. The reason why it's a forum is that answers are not just for the benefit of the individual who asked but also for others in the background or even later in the future who might have similar even if not identical questions.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2022
I have pounds to sell at the rate of 745.
I have £300 and it has to be treated as urgent. I need naira between today and tomorrow.

tolajay:
Who has Pounds for sale?

Kindly PM me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Suzam: 11:01am On Jun 19, 2022
giselle237:
how did you forget your sibling ma..

What if she's not in talking term with sibling for a while and never knew the sibling dey UK?

How is dat withholding information?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 12:05pm On Jun 19, 2022
koonbey:

This is an unfair response. Perhaps valid to the extent of asking people to stay on topic but the rest of the vitriol is unwarranted.

The people who responded as they did, gave their advice in good faith especially in the knowledge that the person who asked it might not have the full context of things like price ranges available, ancillary costs (insurance, tax etc), as well as potential impact on their credit etc.

Moreover, it's also logical that if one cannot afford to pay 6k for a car upfront, perhaps taking a loan might not be the best idea because one wants to continue driving the same kind of car as in Nigeria?

In all, you really should just have chipped in your own answer (which boiled down to "I don't know" at the end) and allowed the OP sift through to make their own decision.

In my view, it's a net benefit for the community here to have more answers than necessary instead of people treading on eggshells because they don't want to be seen as ITK. The reason why it's a forum is that answers are not just for the benefit of the individual who asked but also for others in the background or even later in the future who might have similar even if not identical questions.

Did you miss road? What do you seek to achieve by exhuming dead corpses from yesteryears? Please steer clear of my lane!

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 12:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
I have 300 pounds at rate of 745, you can reach across to me. I needed naira very urgent.

ZariatoCanada:
@omopapa or any other senior in the house, please I need to change some naira to pounds. Kindly reach out ASAP.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
Adebayo82:
I have 300 pounds at rate of 745, you can reach across to me. I needed naira very urgent.

This your rate, is it from 19/06/22 or 19/06/21 ........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 1:52pm On Jun 19, 2022
Oh, thanks.

I already got.

Adebayo82:
I have pounds to sell at the rate of 745.
I have £300 and it has to be treated as urgent. I need naira between today and tomorrow.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 5:12pm On Jun 19, 2022
Suzam:
What if she's not in talking term with sibling for a while and never knew the sibling dey UK?How is dat withholding information?
but if the UK government says they want to give citizenship to every sibling of a resident of UK, they won’t forget they have a sibling? they won’t forget they are not in talking terms with their sibling? they will not remember they never knew their sibling was in UK.?? Make it make sense… + leave matter for Matthias.. I won’t speak more on this because this is a public forum and it is not my wahala
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Khafsun: 5:16pm On Jun 19, 2022
samint1:
For those that recently applied for Provisional driving licence, how long did it take to get it?.
Thanks
Hello, I saw a post of yours from last year asking some details about Aston university. I don't know if you later went through with. I have some questions if you don't mind. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by divinegrace4me: 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2022
Mine arrived less than 2 weeks...
samint1:
For those that recently applied for Provisional driving licence, how long did it take to get it?.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khayouhz: 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2022
Estroller:

@Walexwal I believe this is you. Please reach out for your half of the bonus. Cheers.

Offer is still up for another couple of days folks, please use the link below and get you share of the £50 bonus.

Join me and over 22 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: https://revolut.com/referral/oluwadsala!JUN1-22-AR
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khayouhz: 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=khayouhz post=113958811][/quote]
Can I still use it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khayouhz: 5:35pm On Jun 19, 2022
Estroller:
Thanks to the fellow that just used my link, please reach out for your half of the £50 bonus.

Offer is still open my people, use the link and get £25 for the weekend grin

can I use it now ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khayouhz: 5:56pm On Jun 19, 2022
Estroller:
Thanks to the fellow that just used my link, please reach out for your half of the £50 bonus.

Offer is still open my people, use the link and get £25 for the weekend grin

i just opened it using your referral link. What do I have to do next ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 7:12pm On Jun 19, 2022
khayouhz:
i just opened it using your referral link. What do I have to do next ?

Thank you for using the link. Please follow the steps in the attached image. Please note that the offer expires in 2 days and to get the bonus you'll have to complete the steps before the offer expires, so use the virtual card instead to make the qualifying transactions while you wait for the arrival of your physical card.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jumpshot: 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2022
mamatwiny:
Please I need procedure and cost to process visit visa for my mum. I am a student on placement year but cannot do anything meaningful cos of childcare issue. I need her to come of to support me.
Please note that I have been here in the UK for 9 months.

Unrelated but I just started reading you diary. More specifically I'm at the part where you lost your job. TBH I understand how frustrating it can be when you're doing your best for the family and your hubby isn't helping matters. I'm ashamed to say that my wife actually broke down in tears a few weeks ago and poured out her heart to me. That was when I realized what an ungrateful, selfish idiot I've been, because just like you, she has been the one footing basically ALL the bills since my business crashed and I've been here parading as man of the house, bitching about everything.

Anyway, that you are in the UK right now leads me to believe things turned around for you a bit. I hope so. If I may ask though, is it pertinent for the kids to be in the UK with you? I would think it would be way easier for them to be in Nigeria until you're done with schooling?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 8:05pm On Jun 19, 2022
Suzam:

What if she's not in talking term with sibling for a while and never knew the sibling dey UK?

How is dat withholding information?
It does not concern home office. The question is do you have sibling(s) in UK? Unfortunately, "I don't know" is not an option.

Moral lesson: be in talking terms with your siblings incase you want to travel. grin. You go fear moral lesson grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by santos247(m): 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=khayouhz post=113958901]can I use it now ?[/quote
Na me . Owo dey tongue. I go enter your DM.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 9:17pm On Jun 19, 2022
[quote author=santos247 post=113964490][/quote]
Yes please. The offer expires in two days though, so you'll have to complete all the steps in that time to qualify for the bonus. Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 8:46am On Jun 20, 2022
adegbitetunji:
London Pass � all you need

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 8:51am On Jun 20, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Maturedhustler: 9:08am On Jun 20, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

London is a huge place and accommodation is expensive there, residential and tourist alike.
The good part is that public transport is excellent and you can link everywhere from everywhere with time and patience.
Use the accommodation sites to find something will suit your pocket and head off. Very likely not to be cheap.
All London airports are accessible from central London, choose any.

Regarding sightseeing, buy a ticket on a hop on hop off bus, they take you round all the major sights, best way to get a feel of the metropolis. For specific locations, simply use your phone to plot a course.

Just giving update on my plan as I know that am vulnerable as JJC visiting London with family.
I booked a return flight through Gatwick airport and got AirBnB Accomodation in Osterley (almost 800 quids for 6 days- one month rent for Glasgow). Accommodation price is crazy in & very close to London.

We plan to use train from Airport to the AirBnB and moving to London central. I am already exploring visitlondon site (thanks Lexusgs430)

Is it possible to have family /children discount for train tickets? Discount for Pass/tourist attractions site

Hope am still in line or is there anything I can improve on for enjoyable, cost effective and safe trip?

I am open to make final changes that are possible.

Thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (477) (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: paragon40(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.