Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,152 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (528) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183352 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) (530) (531) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zeinymira(f): 10:21am On Jul 20, 2022
Please guys I have an urgent question that needs answer. Can I do the police certificate anywhere else except Lagos?

@Justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 11:20am On Jul 20, 2022
Queengolden:
Pls who knows the latest £># exchange rate
pls check lemonade app
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 11:26am On Jul 20, 2022
Zeinymira:
Please guys I have an urgent question that needs answer. Can I do the police certificate anywhere else except Lagos?

@Justwise

Yes, you can. BUT your file will still be sent to LagosHQ for further processing.

Some state Hq might refer you to lagos or charge you extra for sending to lagos.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 11:41am On Jul 20, 2022
Zeinymira:
As seen on another thread.
Comment 1
The new police clearance doesn’t require picking up , you can download it on your portal . You just need to create an account on possap .gov.ng, afterwards pay the 30k to the government account then go for your facial and fingerprint capturing , after a day or two the certificate will be available to download on the portal

Comment 2
I did possap ,and I think that's what everyone is doing even if u go to their office you will register and pay online .then you will go to alagbon to get ur certificate,heard the place is crowded, u wud need a police to help u quickly process ur certificate, that's when u wud need to give them extra cash.25k for non appearance, u can beg him with 20k ,u knw police and money.is free if u can go there urself.
P.s I paid for the courier service.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2022
Ayowolebami:

I read on here recently that ancestors Lexus and Omopapa to mention a few are reliable people to run P2P with and I reach out to both cause one didn't have at that time. I concluded my transaction smoothly without fear of scam cause I saw quite a handful of reviews on them before I went ahead.

Nice. Yeah, there are quite some names here popularly used.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mex551(m): 12:51pm On Jul 20, 2022
giselle237:

Comment 1
The new police clearance doesn’t require picking up , you can download it on your portal . You just need to create an account on possap .gov.ng, afterwards pay the 30k to the government account then go for your facial and fingerprint capturing , after a day or two the certificate will be available to download on the portal

Comment 2
I did possap ,and I think that's what everyone is doing even if u go to their office you will register and pay online .then you will go to alagbon to get ur certificate,heard the place is crowded, u wud need a police to help u quickly process ur certificate, that's when u wud need to give them extra cash.25k for non appearance, u can beg him with 20k ,u knw police and money.is free if u can go there urself.
exactly as stated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2022
hustla:

Instead of writing stuff out like this, why not educate us about what CCJs are?

Yet to get a CC btw but I like learning how things work in advance and weigh decisions for up to a year before diving into it

Not to worry, you don't really have to know what a CCJ is to use a Credit Card. CCJs are like the judgement you get as resolution between a Creditor and Debtor, like a Court case.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 12:55pm On Jul 20, 2022
The Credit Card matter has been discussed here a number of times and I agree that we should all do more research online and even on this thread instead of just throwing repetitive fundamental questions. That said, no one should feel intimidated to ask any "foolish questions", we're all learning.

The Credit Card bandwagon is not entirely bad as folks have mentioned severally, users just need to undertand and use them responsibly.

Maybe, for the benefit of newcomers, I will try and write some tips as a SME on Credit Cards. Long-post alert loading!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zeinymira(f): 1:07pm On Jul 20, 2022
giselle237:

Comment 1

Comment 2

Thanks for the response. I will go with number 1. I did it in May and it wasn't stressful at all
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zeinymira(f): 1:08pm On Jul 20, 2022
rayralph:

Yes, you can. BUT your file will still be sent to LagosHQ for further processing.

Some state Hq might refer you to lagos or charge you extra for sending to lagos.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 1:11pm On Jul 20, 2022
So Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract. 3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

EDIT: For those who want the easy-to-get AMEX card with NO FIXED fees, you can use my referral link below. You get points for British Airways flights and Holiday bookings:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAcKK3?XL=MNANS

48 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 1:36pm On Jul 20, 2022
domin8:

4) You can apply for a British Airways AMEX Credit card, It's pretty straight forward and their approval rate is very high at the moment.

You can use my link http://amex.co.uk/refer/nnAnnW9hPF?XL=MNMNS when applying and we both get bonus avios points.

5) You use https://www.experian.co.uk/ or https://www.equifax.co.uk/ to check for free for a period, but you may have to pay if you want to have continued access.

Hello dear i have opened it and collected my card. pls what is their interest rate like, is it high. kindly educate me please. How can i pay back , can i pay back instmentally after using my credit, kindly put me through. first timer. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 1:45pm On Jul 20, 2022
Osoderi:

Hello dear i have opened it and collected my card. pls what is their interest rate like, is it high. kindly educate me please. How can i pay back , can i pay back instmentally after using my credit, kindly put me through. first timer. Thank you

Check the post above your question.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:05pm On Jul 20, 2022
Solumtoya:

Not to worry, you don't really have to know what a CCJ is to use a Credit Card. CCJs are like the judgement you get as resolution between a Creditor and Debtor, like a Court case.

Thanks Chief smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 2:18pm On Jul 20, 2022
Solumtoya:
So Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract. 3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

well said oga mi.... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gbens2000(m): 2:36pm On Jul 20, 2022
Hello house, please my visa is valid from 26th August but the flight I saw which is friendly to my pocket that will be leaving Nigeria 7:30pm 25th August and will arrive Uk 26th.. can I book it?
Will Nigeria airport ask for my ticket and will Dey allow me to leave on the 25th august but as long as I will be arriving Uk on the 26th
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 2:55pm On Jul 20, 2022
gbens2000:
Hello house, please my visa is valid from 26th August but the flight I saw which is friendly to my pocket that will be leaving Nigeria 7:30pm 25th August and will arrive Uk 26th.. can I book it?
Will Nigeria airport ask for my ticket and will Dey allow me to leave on the 25th august but as long as I will be arriving Uk on the 26th
Look for a flight friendly to your pocket from your visa validity.
They send your visa information across to the UK at check in counter… If you are not allowed to board, what then?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2022
gbens2000:

I'm not sure, you should be allowed to board but someone might decide to be stubborn and refuse to let you. If you're willing to take the risk and if no one else thinks otherwise, you can go ahead. I would say you should just look for a later flight.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zeinymira(f): 3:02pm On Jul 20, 2022
giselle237:

Comment 1

Comment 2

At Lagos?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 3:04pm On Jul 20, 2022
Zeinymira:

At Lagos?
pls try to make the payment and see what the steps are following that. I am guessing it will bring up the location for capturing or check the SWV thread for more information
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 3:16pm On Jul 20, 2022
I will do another long post later, hope I remember, on how to improve your credit score. Will just try and give about 10 - 20 tips we can all use.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ayowolebami(f): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2022
gbens2000:

Airline might not allow you board without a valid visa. Depends on the people that'll check you in while boarding but you sincerely don't want to risk them refusing you to board cause in all honesty, your visa isn't valid for the date you'll be boarding.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Zeinymira(f): 3:26pm On Jul 20, 2022
giselle237:
pls try to make the payment and see what the steps are following that. I am guessing it will bring up the location for capturing or check the SWV thread for more information
I have paid. I chose Ogun st where I am currently at. After payment, it didn't show anything else. What's SWV?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2022
Choi, plenty to read through
smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:40pm On Jul 20, 2022
Solumtoya:
I will do another long post later, hope I remember, on how to inprove your credit score. Will just try and give about 10 - 20 tips we can all use.

Reminder grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2022
Zeinymira:

I have paid. I chose Ogun st where I am currently at. After payment, it didn't show anything else. What's SWV?
skilled worker visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Oggg: 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2022
Pounds on a roll at the moment.
I have pounds if you need … only legitimate requests pls
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by semmyk(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2022
Thank justwise for reviewing and releasing this.
Hope it throws more light and hopefully I don't flag?ed and ba??n.
semmyk:
[CC Credit, debit ...]
... ...
Herewith some info, freely given unsolicited but any can leverage solicitors.
1.0 credit card(s) plays a critical role in flexible living and mobility: aka convenience
2.0 having a CC is a lovely thing, if not better than blue band margarine or Irish butter on bread (though for Agege bread, it's still ẹwà agbọnyin). However, having one and using without essentials can be catastrophic just like a person getting on the public road without appropriate training alongside authority inter-alia #license
3.0 the bar to CC is now generally low; not only in the UK
3.0 Funds in CC are available for use 'freely'. Yet, they are just nothing more than #loan.
4.0 however, on the +be side, the funds in CC unlike direct loan may or may not attract interest immediately.
4.1 if you use CC to effect payment (swipe, tap, insert), the amounts will accumulate for a billing period (typically for a month). Thereafter, you'll get a statement indicating amounts spent during the billing cycle and when payment is due. You will quickly observed that
4.1.1 amount to pay is typically not the full outstanding balance as stated. It is generally a %. This is termed minimum amount due. This is the trick of the CC provider. DO NOT fall for this. Rather, pay off total outstanding amount. If for any unforeseen circumstances you can't pay in full, pay at LEAST the minimum and payoff the full amount (+ interest) within the next 1 or 2 month MAX. Even at that, I'll probably say, full amount + interest+ additional offset
4.1.2 ... ... [Truncated]
Read more from initial post on p. 527

PS: this is not a financial nor legal advice in law. From your rambling man.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 6:09pm On Jul 20, 2022
hustla:

Reminder grin

If I don't do it, this article from Lloyds Bank will help. It has over 12 tips to improve your credit score in there so promise fulfilled!

https://www.lloydsbank.com/understanding-credit/how-to-improve-your-credit-score.html

8 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2022
Hello everyone,

As someone on a student Visa, I want my mum to visit before the end of the year. My Visa is valid till Jan 2023 and I was wondering if I can do a 2 years visitor visa for her or if it has to be 6 months cos of my own present visa validity.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by missjekyll: 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2022
Any of you lovely people have numbers for a hairbraider in Dartford? Kindly share.
Thank youuuu

(1) (2) (3) ... (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) (530) (531) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.