Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (525) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1170585 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 8:09pm On Jul 18, 2022
kode12:

The bottom of your screenshot says if you're having problems, contact UKVI. Soo......

Yes but I got no response yet. I am asking to know if anyone got similar issue and has rectified it and how they did.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Seller pays a fee to the credit card company when you use your credit card.
Nothing's free anywhere, someone's always paying something somewhere. wink

100% true
Nothing is free even in Freetown

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:15pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

That was when I was in the world & of the world ...... cheesy

Show us way, those of us still in the world
grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:15pm On Jul 18, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Don't feel sorry for them ......... They make loads of money...........

They have the legal licence to mint money ........ cheesy

Issorai
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:16pm On Jul 18, 2022
Solumtoya:

Interest is only one of the income lines for Credit Card Companies, there are so many other ways they make money. Also, many people still do not pay down fully on time. One financial hit and the Cardholder who had a perfect record of paying on time enters debt and struggles to bounce back for years. Credit Card is a very profitable product for FIs.

If one enters bad times, can't the credit card be terminated and just take a slight hit on credit levels... Instead of falling down completely like btc
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 8:22pm On Jul 18, 2022
zxxtx:

Yes but I got no response yet. I am asking to know if anyone got similar issue and has rectified it and how they did.

This isn't a common problem from my knowledge. Regardless, if your BRP number is incorrect somehow, reporting to UKVI would be your only recourse.
Just to confirm you're checking via https://right-to-work.service.gov.uk/rtw-prove/id-question ?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:20pm On Jul 18, 2022
May I ask if and why the cities in the North of England are generally less expensive than those in the South?

I am asking because we're planning for our first mortgage and the rates in cities around South West England are really high.

Would it be a good option to relocate from the South West to the North in order to get a cheaper property for purchase?

Elders, abeg, share some insight.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pearlyfaze: 9:36pm On Jul 18, 2022
Elders please i need Naira i have pounds. @Mamatukwas, Omopapa muna help change this Eliza money foe me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 10:00pm On Jul 18, 2022
Please I need more details information on proper usage of Amex card and how to use it to build credit score
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by chimexview: 10:18pm On Jul 18, 2022
Good evening everyone,
Please what’s the way around getting a guarantor for accommodation in Sheffield Hallam university environs? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks�
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:20pm On Jul 18, 2022
Pearlyfaze:
Elders please i need Naira i have pounds. @Mamatukwas, Omopapa muna help change this Eliza money foe me

Dm Ma/Sir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kaylov12: 10:26pm On Jul 18, 2022
kode12:

This isn't a common problem from my knowledge. Regardless, if your BRP number is incorrect somehow, reporting to UKVI would be your only recourse.
Just to confirm you're checking via https://right-to-work.service.gov.uk/rtw-prove/id-question ?

On the contrary it is a common problem. I have experienced it before with correct details and have just recently used the same details but it worked.
The same has happened to a few people that I know.

Let your employer know what's happened. You are going to give your brp as part of your documentations anyway, they could have a way to figure out your right to work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 10:35pm On Jul 18, 2022
Ensure you're using the correct details.

It should be the BRP number (top right corner of your card) and not the NI number (at the back of card).

zxxtx:
Please house, I just got my brp and I have this issue when I try to prove right to rent/work, I used my passport and the same thing. I have also entered the correct details what could be the problem and how to rectify.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2022
lightnlife:
May I ask if and why the cities in the North of England are generally less expensive than those in the South?

I am asking because we're planning for our first mortgage and the rates in cities around South West England are really high.

Would it be a good option to relocate from the South West to the North in order to get a cheaper property for purchase?

Elders, abeg, share some insight.

Thanks

Same reason why the cities in the north (pre-Boko days) were generally less expensive than Lagos and the south - relatively lower economic opportunities.

Of course you can move anywhere to buy a house, but always ask yourself what you want - would you be happy living in Akure or Umuahia as opposed to Lagos or Port Harcourt. You definitely get better quality of life in smaller towns/cities, cheaper cost of living, etc., but that is offset with reduced economic opportunities, etc., etc., so its up to you to decide what you want.

In the smaller towns (like the Stoke that was discussed yesterday), most of the employment tends to be public service (the way we used to speak of all these places like Umuahia, Makurdi or Akure as being civil service towns where government is the major employer), or the standard care homes and Amazon warehousing, supermarkets, etc, so if you maybe work in the NHS or are a teacher or something similar, you can live basically anywhere and will have employment opportunities. Otherwise, you have to be [near to] where the jobs are (even though remote working is changing that).

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Folabifreeman(m): 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2022
Mamatukwas:

Dm Ma/Sir

I need pounds. I have naira. Check DM
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:40pm On Jul 18, 2022
kaylov12:

On the contrary it is a common problem. I have experienced it before with correct details and have just recently used the same details but it worked.

Let your employer know what's happened. You are going to give your brp as part of your documentations anyway, they could have a way to figure out your right to work.

They do, there's a separate system whereby employers contact the HO using a checking service.
The share code facilitates that, but there's a workaround if one isn't generated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 10:42pm On Jul 18, 2022
Folabifreeman:

I need pounds. I have naira. Check DM

I do not have pounds Sir. Only Naira.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by VMuna: 11:42pm On Jul 18, 2022
kode12:

If you're on a skilled work visa, (and/or health and care visa- not completely sure), if you take up a second job, and you're working more than 20hours, you need sponsorship. REGARDLESS of the employer

How about the accompanying spouse?

Does the work hours limit apply?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 19, 2022
hustla:

Thanks! Just wanted to confirm

If the balance is paid then, I won't pay interest

I wonder how they make profit though cos if everyone pays in time, they're jonzing
Yes, if balance is cleared within that 21 days after your statement is generated. No interest.
I use amex and have been using it only for bulk purchases not everyday payment cos to spend dey sweet grin.
And this is what I noticed using this credit card to build credit scores.
1. You have like 21 days after statement is generated to clear your debt (balance).
2. If your credit utilisation is below 30%. It will be reported and will reflect on your credit scores.
3. Always clear your balance after your statement for the month has been generated or pay minimum.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Sassy256(f): 2:02am On Jul 19, 2022
Goodday people,

Please help me explain the process of how I can receive funds at bank rate from Nigeria as a student.

Which banks does this the easiest from these;

First bank
Accessbank
Fcmb

Thanks all.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:32am On Jul 19, 2022
Thank you
Solumtoya:

Also, contact Flutterwave if possible. They should have some relevant advice.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:47am On Jul 19, 2022
Thank you. I contacted them today, was told they
UkVI will attempt to pay into the account first. If it bounce, they will then contact me.
semmyk:
I'll assume UKVI is aware of batter's shutdown and might even attempt to contact you; either when refunding or failed refund.
Whichever way, my gut feeling is to try and contact them ahead of time explicitly articulating the circumstances factual.

I don't know if this still works:
Contact Details for UK Visa and Immigration Enquiries
Email: UKVAIG.ServiceIntegration@fco.gov.uk
UK Telephone: +44 1243 213 322
Open: 10:00am - 6:00pm
curled from www.theukrules.co.uk/rules/immigration/arriving/healthcare/refund.html

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:50am On Jul 19, 2022
They sent me a mail. It took 4weeks to get a response then I was told the refund will come within 6 weeks.
kode12:

How were you informed the claim was successful? And how long did it take?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:52am On Jul 19, 2022
Thanks once again, I was able to speak with them. The response was ukvi will try refund, but if not successful they will then contact me.
fatima04:

See attached and follow the link for more information
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-health-surcharge-applying-for-a-refund/immigration-health-surcharge-guidance-for-reimbursement-2020#annex
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:53am On Jul 19, 2022
Thank you
kaylov12:

Stoke is a small and typically quiet city. Not much activities, about 40mins drive to Manchester.

Cost of living depends on what you want. If single with no baggages, ST1 Hanley/Shelton is quite cheap.
ST2,Trentham most expensive guess due to it nearness to tourist locations
ST3, deprived area
ST4, closest to the hospital
ST6, I don't like that area, mostly deprived white working class area.

Since last year that I left, cost of accommodation has risen, like everywhere else in the UK.

There are 2 African shops in the city centre;
Emma chuks Nigerian
Mokola Ghanaian. both close to eachother.

Primary schools are quite good but Sec schools are kinda tricky, lots of behaviou issues.

It's q deprived city as I have said.
Very little to no activity (I was there mostly during covid). If you are a social rat, not a place to live.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by donald197: 3:55am On Jul 19, 2022
I will be working in Royal hospital, guess I will just stay in the town. Thanks
kaylov12:

This depends on what you'll be there for; work or study.
I would advise that you ignore the negatives and focus more on what you are there for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tinke: 5:24am On Jul 19, 2022
Hello,
I am currently conducting a survey for my Master’s dissertation to understand the effect of COVID-19 on tourist holiday planning.
I would be thankful if you could please take out 10 minutes to complete the survey.
https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9oX7AiXaYi6fCsu

Thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:16am On Jul 19, 2022
onecoder:

Yes, if balance is cleared within that 21 days after your statement is generated. No interest.
I use amex and have been using it only for bulk purchases not everyday payment cos to spend dey sweet grin.
And this is what I noticed using this credit card to build credit scores.
1. You have like 21 days after statement is generated to clear your debt (balance).
2. If your credit utilisation is below 30%. It will be reported and will reflect on your credit scores.
3. Always clear your balance after your statement for the month has been generated or pay minimum.

Does it matter if it's spent on bulk or small purchases like bus rides, petty expenses?

One might not have bulk purchases every month you know

I actually thought the payment is due immediately at the end of the month, didn't know there's a 21 day period where you can make the payment

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 6:36am On Jul 19, 2022
kaylov12:

Thanks. I’m new here and starting with something like this is somehow.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by zxxtx: 6:37am On Jul 19, 2022
kode12:

Yes, that’s where I’m checking
Thanks for the response
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 19, 2022
hustla:

Does it matter if it's spent on bulk or small purchases like bus rides, petty expenses?

One might not have bulk purchases every month you know

I actually thought the payment is due immediately at the end of the month, didn't know there's a 21 day period where you can make the payment
No, it's a personal preference.
While you can pay back immediately you spend on the card. It's better after your statement has been generated
If you pay back immediately you spend, by the time your statement is generated your account will have £0 spend.
So things like your credit utilisation won't be computed.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:02am On Jul 19, 2022
onecoder:

No, it's a personal preference.
While you can pay back immediately you spend on the card. It's better after your statement has been generated
If you pay back immediately you spend, by the time your statement is generated your account will have £0 spend.
So things like your credit utilisation won't be computed.

Thanks, I appreciate

Does it matter if direct debit is set up from my Monzo or Chase?
Does it matter to credit agencies?

(1) (2) (3) ... (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.