Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,912 members, 7,835,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (578) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1198273 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:48am On Aug 21, 2022
Aligator12008:
Good morning House,
I am at a cross road with your candid advice needed. I currently have a job offer in the UK with sponsorship gotten after a successful student visa application however my employer is not aware of my studentship.

Kindly advise how I can manage this with it's implication and consequences.

1. Switch from student visa to skilled worker(am a September 2022 intake) while studying.

2. Withdrawing my studentship while I switch to skilled worker visa

3. My chances of getting my skilled worker visa approved.

4. What are the implications.

Please in here to learn, I do not have prior experience regarding how UK immigration works.

Thank you

Which is more important to you ........

Considering the fact that this your trap, can only catch one mouse ONLY ......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 11:53am On Aug 21, 2022
chukusi:
Hello guys.

i am on student visa. and my stay will expire in 3 weeks time. but my wife just got a COS for a tier 2 job with NHS. Shes in nigeria now and we have applied for her visa. biometric due in 2weeks. now as i am in the UK what link can i use to apply as a dependent. ?i cant seem to find it on thr gov website. thanks

My brother,
No vex, but you didn't google at all.
You will find the link in exactly 30 seconds if you do. It's clearly on the gov.uk page, even though Tier 2 don change name.
Try again.
Remember say they have told us that we need to up our game so that we won't be making peanuts of 22k, so that means moving to the tech industry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 12:14pm On Aug 21, 2022
Tinyemeka:

What kind of roles sir?

Thanks.
Infosec
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Aligator12008: 12:43pm On Aug 21, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Which is more important to you ........

Considering the fact that this your trap, can only catch one mouse ONLY ......... cheesy

Thank you for the response.
It's the skilled worker visa, I am just scared about the implications if I could switch since the student visa has just been granted and how to go about the application for a skilled worker visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by naassbaba: 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2022
Pls everyone and experience people in the house
I need your advise
I and my spouse intend to relocate to UK using Student visa
2 kids 13 n 6 yrs
My spouse is fashion designer and I am a Teacher
Pls your guide and advice is needed �

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2022
Aligator12008:

It's the skilled worker visa, I am just scared about the implications if I could switch since the student visa has just been granted and how to go about the application for a skilled worker visa.
I don’t think that would be an issue, If you meet all the requirements for the Tier 2 visa, UKVI won’t deny your application because it sounds like this is what you are afraid of. The end goal for a lot of us who are coming here for Uni is to get that Tier 2 visa or another type of visa. You already have the former so you are off to a great start. I wish you the best of luck in your application.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by naassbaba: 1:25pm On Aug 21, 2022
Pls everyone and experience people in the house
I need your advise
I and my spouse intend to relocate to UK using Student visa
2 kids 13 n 6 yrs
My spouse is fashion designer and I am a Teacher
Pls your guide and advice is needed �

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 4:10pm On Aug 21, 2022
bigtt76:
Pls I'm interested in the embolden, can you share how they went about this before their graduation?

To answer your question let me share my friend’s story:

Arrived UK as a Student - 09/2021
Started working part time (casual work)- 10/2021 all the while applying for roles in HR where she has over 8+ years experience.
Got Band 5 HR Job- 03/2022 in University of Oxford Part time.
Got Band 5 HR Job- 07/2022 in same University Part time but permanent role.
Got Band 5 Sponsored Role- 08/2022 to start in October. She’s just about to submit her dissertation.

She has remained on band 5 but the scale has been going up with each new job.

It’s important to note that for a long time people told her that HR jobs were hardly sponsored in the UK and she almost gave up but decided to try the NHS and got lucky.

It’s doable ��

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 4:16pm On Aug 21, 2022
mex551:
Egypt air gives you hotel and feeding. They will also arrange local transportation. But the layover must be up to 7hrs or so

We don't need transit visa to be lodged at the hotel abi?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 4:20pm On Aug 21, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Infosec

Ope O!

You're an uncle in the field sir.

I saw that certification requires 5 years cognate experience.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 4:26pm On Aug 21, 2022
MichaelUde:

My brother,
You will find the link in exactly 30 seconds if you do. It's clearly on the gov.uk page, even though Tier 2 don change name.
Try again.
Remember say they have told us that we need to up our game so that we won't be making peanuts of 22k, so that means moving to the tech industry.

As our brain no too sharp like before, how we wan take break into this tech industry bikonu?

I also want to join and be doing £400-£500 a day too. cry

Seriously.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 4:48pm On Aug 21, 2022
Solumtoya:

I was avoiding giving out personal details but here you go: Within two months of arriving on a Student-dependant visa, I got two offers of £40k, I had to renegotiate and increased the other to £50k and accepted. I rejected Huboo's offer. Won't mention the name of the one I accepted. I have long left that job for a better one.

My friend who is a student that came last year has gotten a Permanent offer with a Financial institution for £50k and Visa Sponsorship. Due to his student status, he works just 3 times a week till he graduates next month and he will start working full-time. Another friend is a student of a 2-year course he only started in January but got an offer with HSBC last month.

I see your point but I want to correct your notion.

Abeg sama me testimony! You didn't give out any personal details biko.

The only job recommendations my Mrs has been feeding me with are HCA roles despite my years of retail banking experience (I no blame am na wetin full her work area), but a friend of mine who landed barely 2 years ago (started as Band 3 Project Support and is currently a PM with a private company while also doing part-time with the NHS) has been telling me to bullshit that HCA line and consider PM roles.

Honestly, I'm open to as much advice I can get on various job options to enable me make a well-informed decision and plot my next career path.

I don't mean to sound denigrating towards any career please.

If some people can land (not on a student visa) and start at £35,000 - £40,000, who am I to say I'm not interested in partaking.

Please some of us are very much interested in pursuing these roles and would like to know how to fit in upon landing. Not everyone is destined to start as an HCA. No offense meant.

Tenks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2022
Tinyemeka:

As our brain no too sharp like before, how we wan take break into this tech industry bikonu?

I also want to join and be doing £400-£500 a day too. cry

Seriously.

Try and find a way to insert yourself, even if it's at the periphery and work your way to where you can.
Areas like information governance and privacy, data protection, moving on to DPO (not Nigeria police o), you could then segue into infosec at some level, maybe.
I write some JDs and the pay is good for those areas, even though they're not considered pure IT/tech roles.

Not everyone can do pure tech, we all have different abilities, for instance, I can barely count, hate Excel with a passion (still learning that program after all these years), and don't even know how I managed to get through training school when I got my bank job. Payroll stuff gives me nightmares when the spreadsheets land in my inbox.

The areas I mentioned above are for people like me who are most comfortable dealing with words, not numbers. I function best when dealing with policies, firing off emails and answering the sometimes inane queries from employees (HR here is in many ways not very different from it is in Naija, sometimes employees bring the craziest kinds of stuff to us). You see what you can do to upskill in an area you can manage. You might be surprised to find there's something within your abilities that will fetch you the figures you named above.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 5:21pm On Aug 21, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Try and find a way to insert yourself, even if it's at the periphery and work your way to where you can.
Areas like information governance and privacy, data protection, moving on to DPO (not Nigeria police o), you could then segue into infosec at some level, maybe.
I write some JDs and the pay is good for those areas, even though they're not considered pure IT/tech roles.

Not everyone can do pure tech, we all have different abilities, for instance, I can barely count, hate Excel with a passion (still learning that program after all these years), and don't even know how I managed to get through training school when I got my bank job. Payroll stuff gives me nightmares when the spreadsheets land in my inbox.

The areas I mentioned above are for people like me who are most comfortable dealing with words, not numbers. I function best when dealing with policies, firing off emails and answering the sometimes inane queries from employees (HR here is in many ways not very different from it is in Naija, sometimes employees bring the craziest kinds of stuff to us). You see what you can do to upskill in an area you can manage. You might be surprised to find there's something within your abilities that will fetch you the figures you named above.

LOL. I even fall within the range of people who love and use Excel.

Thanks a lot for the insight. Would definitely investigate that option.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ELff: 5:29pm On Aug 21, 2022
Preshyi:
Please how were you able to even access the website to book a date or check other locations? It's been showing error message for over a week now. or is there a special way to get into the driving test website?

No just keep checking. Check in the early hours of the morning.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Tinyemeka(m): 5:30pm On Aug 21, 2022
dustbin007:
Hi everyone

Who knows if Qatar Air makes any provision for their long layover in Doha? Would they give hotel abi someone has to sleep in the airport?

Thank you.

You could also consider EgyptAir (slightly similar if not lower cost rates), since they provide hotels for long-layover passengers.

I trawled some forums for experiences of other travellers who had long layovers at Doha and their feedback wasn't too good.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MadeMen4Life: 5:32pm On Aug 21, 2022
Nice one Amara… I can see how people are now interested in upping their game, I can see how hidden information are being shared on the forum for those wanting something BIGGER.. Never cower into sharing your view, even if the greater percentage of the forum feel some kinda way. Interested ones will buy them.

Destiny’s are different, cos Taye settled for 22K all because of slow and steady doesn’t mean Kehinde is bound to do that as well…

Happy Sunday

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:51pm On Aug 21, 2022
Hmmmm thanks for this.

justwise:

Maybe he did not start searching for job on time and allowed his visa to expire or he did not graduate with good results or he gave up searching after few rejections
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:53pm On Aug 21, 2022
Wow ...thanks for sharing this. Very much appreciated.

Mamatukwas:

Started working part time (casual work)- 10/2021 all the while applying for roles in HR where she has over 8+ years experience.
Got Band 5 Sponsored Role- 08/2022 to start in October. She’s just about to submit her dissertation.

It’s important to note that for a long time people told her that HR jobs were hardly sponsored in the UK and she almost gave up but decided to try the NHS and got lucky.

It’s doable ��

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:06pm On Aug 21, 2022
Thanks for sharing but how can one get into the bolded? I'm interested

TheGuyFromHR:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:12pm On Aug 21, 2022
First thing I would advise is for you to read through your student contract with the university that issued you CAS -

1. what is their drop-out of study clause, would you be liable to paying all unpaid school fees if you decide not to continue?
2. Would they refund you all paid fees?
3. How do you inform them of your switch without being tagged absconded student?

Just my thoughts though

Aligator12008:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Phelixblaq(m): 6:24pm On Aug 21, 2022
MichaelUde:

My brother,
Try again.

Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rayralph(m): 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2022
Mamatukwas:

It’s doable ��

Hr jobs hardly sponsor is a valid statement.

The exception is NHS.

Regardless of role, NHS will sponsor any full time BAND 3/4 upwards.

Provided Full time is >= 37.5 hrs

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:38pm On Aug 21, 2022
MadeMen4Life:
Nice one Amara… I can see how people are now interested in upping their game, I can see how hidden information are being shared on the forum for those wanting something BIGGER.. Never cower into sharing your view, even if the greater percentage of the forum feel some kinda way. Interested ones will buy them.

Destiny’s are different, cos Taye settled for 22K all because of slow and steady doesn’t mean Kehinde is bound to do that as well…

Happy Sunday
Thank you oh! We shall continue to motivate people even if our voice shakes!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:07pm On Aug 21, 2022
bigtt76:
Thanks for sharing but how can one get into the bolded? I'm interested

Certifications/relevant experience.
Our chap has a CIPP/E certification.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 9:31pm On Aug 21, 2022
mizGene:

Actually decision mail was 3 weeks, BRP came in about 3-4 days later

Oh wow. That long... I guess I'll opt for super priority. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 10:52pm On Aug 21, 2022
Thanks for sharing.

TheGuyFromHR:

Certifications/relevant experience.
Our chap has a CIPP/E certification.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bryanbella(f): 3:13am On Aug 22, 2022
Good morning house, please I need a honest advice.

Tier 2 sponsorship for care or Tier 4 for postgraduate studies? Which is better?

Is it possible to run a part-time postgraduate studies while on tier 2 Visa??

Married with 2 kids
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 9:30am On Aug 22, 2022
Mamatukwas:

It’s doable ��

@mamatukwas thank you for this Monday motivation.

Na this thing we dey talk.

No just settle. Yes! There would be plenty rejection. But keep at it. You are not just there yet. Na who give up lose.

Don't just settle for less.

Your Naija experience counts. However the measure it counts. In whatever field, it counts.

If you need to remind yourself every morning say that your 22kpa pay na shyte money to get your juices flowing please do it.

If you came in via student route, remind yourself daily: My investment must yield fruit!

Who no go no know. 20k+ pounds no be beans O! Make your mind dey there.

But again there are trade offs. If your small get ILR security, by no means hold am strong. After every, you can unleash the dragon.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 9:41am On Aug 22, 2022
rayralph:

Hr jobs hardly sponsor is a valid statement.

The exception is NHS.

Regardless of role, NHS will sponsor any full time BAND 3/4 upwards.

Provided Full time is >= 37.5 hrs

I didn’t know this until it happened to her. I think Tier 4 peeps definitely need to allow it sink into their heads. It will save some people unnecessary heart ache.

(1) (2) (3) ... (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.