Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (586) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1179207 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2022
Indians have definitely found a hack on Work Visas that other Nationalities are yet to learn. Nigeria (15k) coming 2nd with a massive difference between us and Indians (102k)

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kannyman: 8:30pm On Aug 28, 2022
Solumtoya:
Indians have definitely found a hack on Work Visas that other Nationalities are yet to learn. Nigeria (15k) coming 2nd with a massive difference between us and Indians (102k)

The proportion of change in percentage is quite massive for Nigeria. While Indian doubled, Nigeria actually trippled and this is because

1. Indians are more pro business and have ability to reference themselves more than anyone else.

2. The population of India is massive and the numbers that left and moved to UK is infinitesimal within numbers outlook of their population.

3. The awareness for work visa route is just becoming more open in Nigeria whereas India has syndicated organisations running migration schemes...

4. We are too independent and competitive minded in Nigeria.

5. Africa is also less favoured. Within the scheme of scale, Africa comes last IMO

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 8:30pm On Aug 28, 2022
Excellent and congratulations kiss

Timitempah:

Hi, thanks for the information. I have been informed that one do not need to pay for the second year fees before switching visa route since I have not enrolled and started my second year yet. Also mailed the school and they have said there is no problem switching to the visa route and I can continue schooling part time if I choose too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ugoonuoha: 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Emmyk(m): 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2022
OmichaelO:
we finally entered UK yesterday o

Thank you all for everything

Quick one please, can someone refer me to that post of things to do when you enter UK, I know with time we will figure the rest

Found this video yesterday. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QbtHWVckc

Welcome to the UK. cool

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:24pm On Aug 28, 2022
Kannyman:

The proportion of change in percentage is quite massive for Nigeria. While Indian doubled, Nigeria actually tripped and this is because

1. Indians are more pro business and have ability to reference themselves more than anyone else.

2. The population of Indian massive and what has left is infinitesimal within numbers outlook

3. The awareness of this route is becoming more in Nigeria whereas Indian has syndicated organisations running migration schemes...

5. Africa is also less favoured. Within the scheme of scale, Africa comes last IMO

This bold ehnnnn. Indians have perfected this like a well oiled machine . Not just UK self , in USA na them dey grab majority of h1b. I give it to them shaA lot of them belive they rise by lifting their own .

Recently I met a Zimbabwe woman who has a care establishment. She brought 30 of her people, all given free Cos, but if it was a Nigerian.....never, we still dey learn for that department

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:55pm On Aug 28, 2022
Solumtoya:

The hack is simple - There are 1.2 billion Indians in India and maybe 200 million, 220 million, 250 million people in Nigeria (nobody really knows), all herdsmen from across west Africa included. So on the numbers alone, India is bound to be proportionally represented in the stats.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 10:56pm On Aug 28, 2022
LagosismyHome:

This bold ehnnnn. Indians have perfected this like a well oiled machine . Not just UK self , in USA na them dey grab majority of h1b. I give it to them shaA lot of them belive they rise by lifting their own .

Recently I met a Zimbabwe woman who has a care establishment. She brought 30 of her people, all given free Cos, but if it was a Nigerian.....never, we still dey learn for that department

When it comes to nursing and care homes, its the Zimbabweans who seem to have established themselves in that area. Lots of them run care homes.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:08pm On Aug 28, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

The hack is simple - There are 1.2 billion Indians in India and maybe 200 million, 220 million, 250 million people in Nigeria (nobody really knows), all herdsmen from across west Africa included. So on the numbers alone, India is bound to be proportionally represented in the stats.

Population is a factor, true. Did you look at the student figures? We have over half their number in student visas but about 10% in Work Visa. How come the population proportion doesn't affect Student Visas?

With the way Nigerians have started looking more into the Work Visa, I bet you, this time next year, the ratios would be very different! Nigerians generally believed getting Work Visa in the UK was impossible but the Indians were storming the Health and Tech sectors. Nigerians have now discovered this so the numbers would get interesting. I look at the ratios in my office and see the trend.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 11:18pm On Aug 28, 2022
Solumtoya:

Population is a factor, true. Did you look at the student figures? We have over half their number in student visas but about 10% in Work Visa. How come the population proportion doesn't affect Student Visas?

With the way Nigerians have started looking more into the Work Visa, I bet you, this time next year, the ratios would be very different! Nigerians generally believed getting Work Visa in the UK was impossible but the Indians were storming the Health and Tech sectors. Nigerians have now discovered this so the numbers would get interesting. I look at the ratios in my office and see the trend.

Maybe because more Indians can access the UK through skilled worker visas so proportionally fewer bother to use the study visa route?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:26pm On Aug 28, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Maybe because more Indians can access the UK through skilled worker visas so proportionally fewer bother to use the study visa route?

You don't think it's the bileteral agreement signed.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2022
Solumtoya:
The era of Study Visa just like in 2010 era
Student visa is nothing to what uk generates via tax.
They tax everyone from footballers to students. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by claremont(m): 11:42pm On Aug 28, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

That might well be so, but it wouldn't be the only reason. If population size was linked to visas, India would be closely followed by Pakistan, and then China. I think it's more to do with something in the Indian culture that prioritises pulling up their own. it's a cultural thing shared by most Asian cultures but particularly with Indians.

I wanted to say something regarding the huge disparity regarding prices charged in African shops run by Asians versus those run by our own Africans, but I reserve my comments.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 11:48pm On Aug 28, 2022
Its very funny really how all those who migrated via student route from Nigeria after enjoying free resources from forums such as NL are now charging for one-on-one sessions or for sharing other information required by others after them. This is sad really. The annoying thing is some are actually selling templates for essays, seminars, cover letters, CV formatting etc when all of these resources are available for free on many school's intranet to the students. We need to change if we are to lift each other up from the perils of our country.

LagosismyHome:

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 12:02am On Aug 29, 2022
This is spot on. You took it out of my mouth.

It might also be worth highlighting that skills demand and supply, government policies and enabling environment influence migration.

For instance, the degree of market-ready talent pool in India isn't the same with Nigeria be it in Tech or Medicine. The Nigerian government and its agencies are constantly making emigration of skilled professionals more difficult; this is somewhat speaks to the culture of butter competition amongst Nigeria.

Solumtoya, it might be more helpful to disaggregate the data by population percentage as the countries have varying poluation size.

Kannyman:

The proportion of change in percentage is quite massive for Nigeria. While Indian doubled, Nigeria actually tripped and this is because

2. The population of Indian massive and what has left is infinitesimal within numbers outlook

3. The awareness of this route is becoming more in Nigeria whereas Indian has syndicated organisations running migration schemes...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:22am On Aug 29, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The fellow Zimbabweans that came will help grow the organisation. On the other hand, the Nigerians will help run your organisation to the ground. I know what some of my employees back in Nigeria did to my business.

Even here, yesterday my wife made a Zimbabwean lady's hair and charged £60, the lady paid £70 because she was impressed. The Nigerians in our church were doing abeg, the very nice one was begging for £10.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 1:25am On Aug 29, 2022
Who has transferGo referral link? I want to open account with them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jagbasneh(m): 3:27am On Aug 29, 2022
Good morning guyz my resumption date inside my COS is 10th of September and my biometric date is also 10th of September cause that's the closet date i saw for my appointment, i hope it'll not affect my chance on getting visa? As the two dates clash
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:02am On Aug 29, 2022
bigtt76:
Its very funny really how all those who migrated via student route from Nigeria after enjoying free resources from forums such as NL are now charging for one-on-one sessions or for sharing other information required by others after them. This is sad really. The annoying thing is some are actually selling templates for essays, seminars, cover letters, CV formatting etc when all of these resources are available for free on many school's intranet to the students. We need to change if we are to lift each other up from the perils of our country.

I saw a comment on Facebook where a girl asked if Nigeria was on a banned list and how she couldn't get Cos...so i messaged her that there no ban list for carer

Fast forward 2 months later, I saw her advertising that anyone who looking for cos should contact her. I message her and realised it was the same person taking of banned list some weeks ago. I said are u now in UK. She said no but she gotten her cos and doing visa. I said how come you are then advertising you have carer job to offer

She said where she got cos are also looking for people so she decided to make some money . So she advertising and if she connect you to them she charge a whooping 7k GBP to be paid to her in naira .I asked did you pay that for your cos, she said no but she turning this to her side hussle. To say I was shocked is an understatement. Someone who hasn't even stepped foot in UK

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bluebella(m): 4:07am On Aug 29, 2022
Viruses:
Who has transferGo referral link? I want to open account with them.

I love using @TransferGo to send money abroad! Click https://my.transfergo.com/en/r/BqV9OF or use BqV9OF to try it for FREE yourself! #trytransfergo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:08am On Aug 29, 2022
Viruses:

The fellow Zimbabweans that came will help grow the organisation. On the other hand, the Nigerians will help run your organisation to the ground. I know what some of my employees back in Nigeria did to my business.

Even here, yesterday my wife made a Zimbabwean lady's hair and charged £60, the lady paid £70 because she was impressed. The Nigerians in our church were doing abeg, the very nice one was begging for £10.

Buhari is not our only problem at all... many of our people are the problem

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:10am On Aug 29, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

When it comes to nursing and care homes, its the Zimbabweans who seem to have established themselves in that area. Lots of them run care homes.

This lady don try.. she was a carer, after 5 years she went and established her own and has expanded considerably

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Stenvee: 4:12am On Aug 29, 2022
LagosismyHome:

I saw a comment on Facebook where a girl asked if Nigeria was on a banned list and how she couldn't get Cos...so i messaged her that there no ban list for carer

Fast forward 2 months later, I saw her advertising that anyone who looking for cos should contact her. I message her and realised it was the same person taking of banned list some weeks ago. I said are u now in UK. She said no but she gotten her cos and doing visa. I said how come you are then advertising you have carer job to offer

She said where she got cos are also looking for people so she decided to make some money . So she advertising and if she connect you to them she charge a whooping 7k to be paid to her .I asked did you pay that for your cos, she said no but she turning this to her side hussle. To say I was shocked is an understatement. Someone who hasn't even stepped foot in UK
Kai embarassed
This is sad
What is wrong with some of us?
7k?
That's like 3-4 months NHS salary!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:17am On Aug 29, 2022
jagbasneh:
Good morning guyz my resumption date inside my COS is 10th of September and my biometric date is also 10th of September cause that's the closet date i saw for my appointment, i hope it'll not affect my chance on getting visa? As the two dates clash

Resumption not a problem, what the problem is the expiry date of the COS. ...if you apply well within the 3 month expiry that fine

For date, you gat to sleep on that website for a couple of days, constantly refreshing. Dates do pop up but vanish quickly as its fastest finger grabs it but if the expiry is still far then sept 10 is ok

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 4:21am On Aug 29, 2022
Stenvee:

Kai embarassed
This is sad
What is wrong with some of us?
7k?
That's like 3-4 months NHS salary!

I know right ... when there no money tree that is dashing people money . The morality of it self but in her mind she a sharp business woman

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:19am On Aug 29, 2022
You can imagine that, it's so sad and needs to stop. One was charging for one-on-one calls yet she can on a Twitter space to ask for help in deciding future cheesy very sad if we can't help our own with information as little as what they are charging for.

LagosismyHome:

She said where she got cos are also looking for people so she decided to make some money . So she advertising and if she connect you to them she charge a whooping 7k GBP to be paid to her in naira .I asked did you pay that for your cos, she said no but she turning this to her side hussle. To say I was shocked is an understatement. Someone who hasn't even stepped foot in UK

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 6:23am On Aug 29, 2022
You see now, ours would rather try fleecing their own blood angry

LagosismyHome:

This lady don try.. she was a carer, after 5 years she went and established her own and has expanded considerably
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by iboboyswag(m): 9:20am On Aug 29, 2022
Solumtoya:

Modified
I didn't even see the comments above before I chipped in. Most people have said it all already. We (as a people) need to do better and be intentional.

They own the businesses. And prime them for being sponsors.

Watched an attorney explain something about that on YouTube and I was wawu!

It would shock you that some of those indian shops and restaurants you go to buy from have some form of sponsorship licenses. Besides, there are plenty of roles in these category that are on the shortage occupation list.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lavida001: 10:27am On Aug 29, 2022
Hi guys can I open Barclays bank account with just BRP and my naija passport ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 11:22am On Aug 29, 2022
Please guys does someone switching from student dependant Visa to health and care visa need a criminal record certificate from Nigeria? I have read the attached instruction but it seems to say for those applying from outside UK. Not sure I am reading it right.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:28am On Aug 29, 2022
Preshyi:
Please guys does someone switching from student dependant Visa to health and care visa need a criminal record certificate from Nigeria? I have read the attached instruction but it seems to say for those applying from outside UK. Not sure I am reading it right.

You read right, you don't need it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mimilyrics: 11:29am On Aug 29, 2022
What's your budget?
There used to be "homestamp kent" website which was run by UKC, CCCU & UCA and which made it easier to get student accommodation locally but it was closed down in 2020. This has now been replaced by https://canterburystudentpad.co.uk/Accommodation which is Kent Union and Local Landlords.
You can check Palamon Court ( https://www.crm-students.com/student-accommodation/canterbury/palamon-court-canterbury/ ) between the Canterbury East train station and the city centre if money isn't an issue. You can also check Clare Ellen Guest House ( http://www.clareellenguesthouse.co.uk/ ) on Victoria road - the owner used to have a house that he rented out to students back then; if he doesn't own it anymore, he might be able to point you to the right direction.
You can check "University of Kent Freshers 2022" on Facebook - housing information is usually posted there.
You can try this too: https://www.studenttenant.com/
Otherwise, check the front windows of the store in the city centre for rental adverts or go to the Kent Union office at the Mandela Centre
sunlade:
Good Evening all.. Please can I get help with shared apartment at University of Kent Canterbury?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.