Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,564 members, 7,816,380 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (614) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1177524 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) (616) (617) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:20pm On Sep 18, 2022
Regex:

Why call them sane, the people campaigning for Tinubu and Atiku? No sane person will ever let them have a say in the society let alone campaign for them.
Seeing those two running to become a president makes me sick to the stomach, and those supporting them? Special place in hell for them.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2022
hustla:

Do you think being in and applying from the UK positively affects chances of PR in other countries?

It does have an advantage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2022
BorisJohnson:

You know why?
Because the UK (unlike Belgium and others) do not insist on ‘Blocked Accounts’ to show evidence of funds.

The folks who ignite paid emails after 2 days wants the visa to come out quick quick so that they can return the borrowed money to the owners.

Fact!!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2022
LagosismyHome:

After going through student thread I cannot blame the UK for paid mail at all.... the guideline is 15 working day turn around. Just read some of the comments. Even after 2 days some people are doing paid email and chasing left and right . . ..

No realistic expectation that they should give the visa officer time to process application pr do checks . No consideration that they are not the only applicants ooo. That the visa officer is working on others so there should give some allowance. From the comments you get the sense of once they apply I want answer now now now now... they should put paid email, even double the amount self ...lol .. because even with it, I smh at the chasing so its not even deterring people

That is exactly the problem,i will not be surprised if the cost of paid email goes up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 2:28pm On Sep 18, 2022
ukay2:

I really don't know why people are complaining....its not a must to japaa to any country. Its a personal decision.

University accommodation is available for those who know what they are doing but people don't usually go for university accommodation because its more expensive and you will asked to pay for at least a semester which is not good for those with untouchable loan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:44pm On Sep 18, 2022
cheesy cheesy cheesy those wey get liver de do Super Priority or Priority ...big boys and gehs wen wan japa on empty POF. I pray next September is not difficulty to those applying then cos things fit hard. On some telegram forum you could see its like people don't research about the schools anymore - they just find out the initial deposit, an agent apply for them and boom off the go ....those will be the set of Naijas that would drop out of school deliberately in the UK. Sad!

BorisJohnson:

You know why?
Because the UK (unlike Belgium and others) do not insist on ‘Blocked Accounts’ to show evidence of funds.

The folks who ignite paid emails after 2 days wants the visa to come out quick quick so that they can return the borrowed money to the owners.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:45pm On Sep 18, 2022
This too ...with University accommodation, they lose their freedom to fade away but with self accommodation, they can take off at anytime cheesy

justwise:

University accommodation is available for those who know what they are doing but people don't usually go for university accommodation because its more expensive and you will asked to pay for at least a semester which is not good for those with untouchable loan

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
Unfortunately we can't think for you ....you alone know your strategy and how your end-game should be. Do you research and decide, Nairaland has all the resources to guide you through the process.

zeedof:
Dear Nairaland in abroad. Please kindly share me the advantages and disadvantages of these two countries (UK and Canada) and which one will you advice me to choose..

I have wife and daughter if this needs for consideration

Thank you in advance
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:50pm On Sep 18, 2022
forex wey dem de recycle for the abroad there cheesy Na Naira de change hands instead grin

Viruses:
But the Nigerian economy benefits from the repatriation of forex from immigrants.
The immigrants themselves live a higher quality of life than they would in their home land.
So it's a win win situation.

You don't expect these countries to promote immigration into their lands if it won't benefit them because countries are not charity organisations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:52pm On Sep 18, 2022
justwise:

It does have an advantage

Hmmm Thanks smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 2:58pm On Sep 18, 2022
justwise:

Seeing those two running to become a president makes me sick to the stomach, and those supporting them? Special place in hell for them.

Honestly, I have given up on Nigeria and making the right choice of president

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Regex: 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
justwise:

That is exactly the problem,i will not be surprised if the cost of paid email goes up.

I will like to bring this to light though a detour from the discussion above, but similar.

A lot of Nigerians are making application even before their pof is 28days. When I got wind of it, I protested against it but I was chewed raw in the group I was in. I was asking myself, which is better, to do everything right and be relaxed or try to cut lines and unrest whilst praying to God do magic. Few people have been getting by it no harm, but a lot are getting hooked and to think Nigerians were so myopic and blinded the rarity that they chose to be disobedient.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
Regex:

Honestly, I have given up on Nigeria and making the right choice of president

Welcome to 2015

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 3:22pm On Sep 18, 2022
If you are having visa delay, you might wanna try contacting your MP. I contacted mine, with a clear explanation of how the delay has frustrated me and resulted to losing opportunities. She replied sympathizing and apologized for the difficulty. She contacted the home office and the next day my visa approval mail was in. One of these days when I am in better mood I will tell the full story. But in summary.

Visa was delayed for over 4 months. Wrote different visa department’s (verification, complaint and complaint review), only complaint replied and apologized with a partial promise that didn’t come thru. And yes you miss offers but it is not clearly stated that they are not moving on for the visa thing.

One of the company told me, to apply for the new visa and let them know when it’s out (that’s after I have told them it will be out in a short time because one of my friend got in 48hrs and another in 10days, so I assumed 1month max). Well long story short, after 2months I just comot mind. 4months later, after the visa came, I wrote them and as you will guess no reply (me am not surprised)

2nd company story was painful, but I can’t really blame them. After two core technical interviews with manager and his own manager (lead). Both manager and lead were very ok. The visa delay story came later after I had earlier stated that I had the right to work. Well my visa story led to the lead discussing with the company about it and as you can guess, story changed.

Like I said, one of these days I will tell the whole story about how frustrating the whole situation was. Even my loving neighbor couldn’t do anything as he confirmed and his company will need a valid visa to accept a foreigner. For the home office format that you can work/ get a job while waiting visa decision. I believe that will only work if you were in the company before you applied for renewal. Most companies don’t understand that and are not willing to risk anything for you.

It was the most frustrating time of my life as I hate being handicapped in a situation. But hey, that’s life, like we say in Nigeria “We Move”.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 3:43pm On Sep 18, 2022
Please what type of visa were you applying for? I thought the company engaging you issues you with CoS which in turn you use for your visa application right?

Chreze:
If you are having visa delay, you might wanna try contacting your MP. I contacted mine, with a clear explanation of how the delay has frustrated me and resulted to losing opportunities. She replied sympathizing and apologized for the difficulty. She contacted the home office and the next day my visa approval mail was in. One of these days when I am in better mood I will tell the full story. But in summary.

Visa was delayed for over 4 months. Wrote different visa department’s (verification, complaint and complaint review), only complaint replied and apologized with a partial promise that didn’t come thru. And yes you miss offers but it is not clearly stated that they are not moving on for the visa thing.

One of the company told me, to apply for the new visa and let them know when it’s out (that’s after I have told them it will be out in a short time because one of my friend got in 48hrs and another in 10days, so I assumed 1month max). Well long story short, after 2months I just comot mind. 4months later, after the visa came, I wrote them and as you will guess no reply (me am not surprised)

2nd company story was painful, but I can’t really blame them. After two core technical interviews with manager and his own manager (lead). Both manager and lead were very ok. The visa delay story came later after I had earlier stated that I had the right to work. Well my visa story led to the lead discussing with the company about it and as you can guess, story changed.

Like I said, one of these days I will tell the whole story about how frustrating the whole situation was. Even my loving neighbor couldn’t do anything as he confirmed and his company will need a valid visa to accept a foreigner. For the home office format that you can work/ get a job while waiting visa decision. I believe that will only work if you were in the company before you applied for renewal. Most companies don’t understand that and are not willing to risk anything for you.

It was the most frustrating time of my life as I hate being handicapped in a situation. But hey, that’s life, like we say in Nigeria “We Move”.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 3:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
bigtt76:
Please what type of visa were you applying for? I thought the company engaging you issues you with CoS which in turn you use for your visa application right?

Graduate visa. All the story of providing your Unique application number (UAN) in replacement for share code is trash. Very few people understand what that is. Most company want share code for proof.

If the visa department /Home office is really out to make life easier, they would provide a form of proof “ something to show to employer that you have the right to work”. Just like share code. I went bloody on my mail to the MP, if she had issues with Home office before, I gave her enough proof to kill them. I gave her dates of all my mails to different department, their replies and the ones they ignored.

I am just getting over everything. One day I will tell all the story. Even the yeye customer support center that one of the lady told me “if you are not accepted by one company, then try another company” as if e easy to pass interview for job. No wahala sha, na where I de find better life for my pikin. God de

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:38pm On Sep 18, 2022
Chreze:

Graduate visa. All the story of providing your Unique application number (UAN) in replacement for share code is trash. Very few people understand what that is. Most company want share code for proof.

If the visa department /Home office is really out to make life easier, they would provide a form of proof “ something to show to employer that you have the right to work”. Just like share code. I went bloody on my mail to the MP, if she had issues with Home office before, I gave her enough proof to kill them. I gave her dates of all my mails to different department, their replies and the ones they ignored.

I am just getting over everything. One day I will tell all the story. Even the yeye customer support center that one of the lady told me “if you are not accepted by one company, then try another company” as if e easy to pass interview for job. No wahala sha, na where I de find better life for my pikin. God de

Basically, when you have an outstanding application with the Home Office, a company needs your UAN so they can contact the HO and get the so-called statutory excuse, i.e. evidence that they are allowed to employ you pending the outcome of your visa application.

Usually, it is only an employer that really wants you very much that will employ you at that stage, because to them it's basically tantamount to your needing sponsorship and a COS. Most often, it's employers which have already employed you prior to your having to change your visa that go checking with the HO when your right to work expires and you are in the process of renewing/replacing it.

And yes, not all employers are up to speed with all immigration rules. Some simply just want to play it as safe as possible: - either British or Irish passport or ILR, nothing else, because they don't even want to come close to anything that could involve them with immigration matters. Glad it worked out in the end, but the call centre lady was right - you can't do anything other than to keep trying other employers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chreze(m): 5:19pm On Sep 18, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Basically, when you have an outstanding application with the Home Office, a company needs your UAN so they can contact the HO and get the so-called statutory excuse, i.e. evidence that they are allowed to employ you pending the outcome of your visa application.

Usually, it is only an employer that really wants you very much that will employ you at that stage, because to them it's basically tantamount to your needing sponsorship and a COS. Most often, it's employers which have already employed you prior to your having to change your visa that go checking with the HO when your right to work expires and you are in the process of renewing/replacing it.

And yes, not all employers are up to speed with all immigration rules. Some simply just want to play it as safe as possible: - either British or Irish passport or ILR, nothing else, because they don't even want to come close to anything that could involve them with immigration matters. Glad it worked out in the end, but the call centre lady was right - you can't do anything other than to keep trying other employers.

Men she said it in a way like she’s not aware of the fact that companies want to play safe. Once you are asked your visa status and instead of Just saying two word, you start to explain, recruiter will just round up conversations. In fact to even get a spot for interview I kept replying visa related questions with “yes I have the right to work in the UK and then laugh it off” . In fact I lied to a recruiter that my visa was valid till 2024. After the success of the first round interview, I became scared cos of the lie.

Well all those ones don go. I thank God. I am just letting people know I tried the contacting MP plan and it worked. So everyone can try and just pour their heart to their MP. The person might feel your pain and write the home office in a way that it will favor you with immediate response from the home office.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
Hmmmmm I can imagine your experience. I think they got more than they could chew this year. Many are still awaiting their study visas just as many are yet to get their CAS issued. I pray it turns out better next year

Chreze:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
Munamoqel:
oyinbos na smooth criminals . Milking the japa student's steady . dashing out Visa to revive their sick economy ! Visa fees , tution deposit ,IHS fees ,flight tickets ,paid mail ,hotel ,rent Anbnb ,Airport taxi . This how to stimulate an economy !

This same oyinbo's have created an enticing environment, using tax payer's money....... You want to benefit from the system, without paying the price .....

Remember, they NEVER forced anyone to JAPA.......

If you think about it, this is why their economy is working and our economy is failed....... cheesy

When you go for that interview, and you're the only Japacertified........... You get the job, whilst others get 'unfortunately' ........ I hope you would not complain...... grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by darknessbegone: 7:16pm On Sep 18, 2022
bigtt76:
cheesy cheesy cheesy those wey get liver de do Super Priority or Priority ...big boys and gehs wen wan japa on empty POF. I pray next September is not difficulty to those applying then cos things fit hard. On some telegram forum you could see its like people don't research about the schools anymore - they just find out the initial deposit, an agent apply for them and boom off the go ....those will be the set of Naijas that would drop out of school deliberately in the UK. Sad!

This is the problem I have with a lot of students going to study in the UK. For example, I know for a fact in my class, more than 70% of them can’t get a job with the degree because they have no idea of what they are studying. It infuriates me a lot.

And when I ask them why this course, didn’t you check it out before applying, are you telling me you didn’t go through the course modules explained in details on the university website before applying? They take it really really personal.

Imagine a class where almost 50% are having one resit or the other in just a semester, and then some resitting three to four modules in one semester.

It really touches my soul because I have no idea what they will do after the course after spending so much money to get degree that they can’t use.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Itsrm(m): 7:28pm On Sep 18, 2022
darknessbegone:

This is the problem I have with a lot of students going to study in the UK. For example, I know for a fact in my class, more than 70% of them can’t get a job with the degree because they have no idea of what they are studying. It infuriates me a lot.

And when I ask them why this course, didn’t you check it out before applying, are you telling me you didn’t go through the course modules explained in details on the university website before applying? They take it really really personal.

Imagine a class where almost 50% are having one resit or the other in just a semester, and then some resitting three to four modules in one semester.

It really touches my soul because I have no idea what they will do after the course after spending so much money to get degree that they can’t use.

The UK model is better for those who are married since one partner can work full time without the burden of studying or the pressure of looking for tier 2 sponsorship while the other concentrates on studies and little part time work to support.

Worst case scenario, most will return to Nigeria in 4 years better than they left.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 7:34pm On Sep 18, 2022
It is saddening really. Some students had agents recommending courses for them and contract out SOP for submission. You now have contractors handling school assignments for these students. No joy with these guys at all.

darknessbegone:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 7:44pm On Sep 18, 2022
bigtt76:
forex wey dem de recycle for the abroad there cheesy Na Naira de change hands instead grin

This is true o. Even Lemonade seff is guilty of this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tolajay: 8:04pm On Sep 18, 2022
Hiya,

Can I ask; What was the cost of insurance on your Nigerian license?

Amarathripple0:

Hmm that’s interesting, I may have to read up on this. it’s a good thing that I’ll be transitioning to a UK license soon anyway, and I’d just review the insurance to reflect the new license when I get one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 8:06pm On Sep 18, 2022
bigtt76:
It is saddening really. Some students had agents recommending courses for them and contract out SOP for submission. You now have contractors handling school assignments for these students. No joy with these guys at all.

Many things are wrong . . .... sad
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Viruses: 8:28pm On Sep 18, 2022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WhiteWolfe: 9:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Their school is saying the 30hrs is FREE for nursery as against 15hrs and not asking me for a dime/code but anyone with code will provide to the school and school will claim back their money from council as the subsidy is from the school's pocket.

This subsidy gangan is what I'm trying to clarify cause my understanding is that 2-4yrs in nursery is 15hrs free for everyone so I'm asking if anyone knows anything about the said subsidy. The woman who attended to me said she once worked in Oldham and it's 15hrs for nursery there but most schools in Manchester is 30hrs FREE even for nursery.

Please, can you recommend any cheap housing for someone that'll arrive in Manchester without accommodation lined up?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WhiteWolfe: 9:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
tshoboy:

I am in same situation in Salford. I am calling the council directly tomorrow. So you might want to call Manchester council too. I will ask them for an email/letter to that effect sef, so one can use in the future.

Bro, is Salford not in Manchester?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by WhiteWolfe: 9:38pm On Sep 18, 2022
LagosismyHome:
Has anyone rented a flat above a shop before. ..ie a restaurant. Care to share your experience...

I am seeing one for some friends relocating from naija. The rental price is less but I am sure there would be a catch living above a shop

Please do you have ccommodation plug in Manchester?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 9:51pm On Sep 18, 2022
WhiteWolfe:

Bro, is Salford not in Manchester?

Salford is a city that is part of Greater Manchester, just like the city of Manchester itself is also part of Greater Manchester. In terms of physical location, Salford is just next to Manchester, and is now part of a continuous developed area, but they were distinctly separate cities in the past.

To understand better, look at it the same way as Lagos, the city and metropolis, is part of Lagos State. Now, imagine that urbanisation in that part of Nigeria had been joined up such that places like Mowe, Ibafo, Sango Ota, etc. formed a continuous development area with the city of Lagos (as they should), and all those places had been removed from Ogun State and placed under a separate administrative authority called Greater Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Chysunshine1: 9:54pm On Sep 18, 2022
In Newcastle too. Just submitted my final project,
looking for work seriously ooo.Please I need work related assistance.

LaXxOnebody:
I'd like to connect with you Sir. I'm sure I can gain from your Newcastle experience. @June232022

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) (616) (617) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.