Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,929 members, 7,810,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (612) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1169447 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:19am On Sep 17, 2022
rowon:
Hi people, please I need help on accommodation in Glasgow . We are presently in Airbnb for fews days which will end this week. We need a 2-3 bed apartment and we can pay for 3 months or more if that will make it faster. Please help!!!

If you can network extensively - church, work, your 9ja contacts in Glasgow etc try

- word of mouth, as it can help sometimes
- go local and visit local agents’ offices in areas where you desire to rent
- with your contact ask if anyone has a room or two (shared flat) to rent in a 2 or 3 bed - this is a temporary measure to save cost on the Airbnb for now.

Ire o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:31am On Sep 17, 2022
Officialkplus:
Hello house, I recently moved into the UK on August 12 this year and I came in with my international driving license from Nigeria, So to ease my movement of moving around the UK.

Now after I recently purchased my car a Mazda 6 grin grin
Paid the road tax successfully.

Now to get an insurance, I discovered I’m going to be charged about £7000 /year for insurance ��

Please, how do i go about the insurance, as it’s illegal to drive without a insurance in the Uk ��

Try and tweak a bit of the information you supplied on the insurance site eg make sure your
- ‘No Claim’ is not 0 (3-5yrs is ok) in fact, higher d better
- where you park during d day n at night matters (make sure it’s a personal n safe place)
- Do away with add ons (additional products) by the insurance coy
- use comparethemarket dot com to compare quotes

Ire o

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:35am On Sep 17, 2022
Preshyi:
Is the refund rate different? I got 377USD

The refund is usually 6 months of whatever you pay as IHS. So, it will be different amount for different folks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:47am On Sep 17, 2022
Ayowolebami:
Good evening house, please who is familiar with nursery schools in Manchester and how they operate?

Our daughter is resuming nursery by end of the month but we were told the school operates free 30hrs for even nursery and not from reception.

The school reps visited our apartment on Tuesday as part of their admission process and I asked them about requirement to pay for additional hours as we'll be unavailable to pick her up by 12pm from November which I expected to be the norm but the school said their school is 30hrs FREE.

I visited the school today again to reconfirm the reps that came to our place understood my questions and the person that attended to me insisted their school is subsidized for children and it's not public funds. She however said the school claims their money back from council for citizens on benefit (entitled to public funds) through their code with the council.

I'd like to know if anyone here is familiar with this "almighty subsidy" cause I laid out my cards to the school as regards to our immigration status and how we have no recourse to public funds make I no go enjoy wetin fit hook me for neck in the near future.

Is there anyone here familiar with this or has heard anything about it before? Biko epp me before I get comfortable eating poison.

Imagine pipo afraid to ‘chop awuf’ for obodo youkay. It is well in the well embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:58am On Sep 17, 2022
Akorkor:
I am just wondering why automatic car is so expensive in the Uk. The price difference between auto and manual is just so annoying.

Is there any other site apart from gumtree, FB market place to still compare prices?

Na the price be that o. Just negotiate well and be careful you don’t buy a ‘dead’ auto transmission car in the name of automatic.

No other place to confirm as your hosts are extremely conservative and auto transmission here is like luxury - pipo wey get, dey always make sure say dem use am wella b4 deciding to sell
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:00am On Sep 17, 2022
Bsharp:
Hi guys. Please is anyone here traveling or knows someone traveling to Naija between today and Saturday. A friend forgot her BRP and travelled down to Nigeria. Now she's unable to fly back to the UK.

Someone she knows need to head to nearest dhl and send it by courier. That the surest way

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:02am On Sep 17, 2022
Osoderi:

Once u are not in health care sector u can not claim it.

Not possible again for you to use the same six months, they have all your previous payslips u have used. Be careful bf they cancel your visa.

Once u are working in health care sector all y dependants will claim the money even if y wife/hubby is not working in health care.

Sounds good.
Looks like it's a way to encourage people to work in their Healthcare sector
smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Preshyi: 10:13am On Sep 17, 2022
It was study Visa. I guess its dependent on length of Visa and how much you paid for the Ihs.
Osoderi:

What visa type did u apply for?

I applied for spouse and paid $2700
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tobbyoladejo: 10:24am On Sep 17, 2022
Please, when switching visas from student to tier 2, do I have to pay the full IHS for tier 2 since I still have months left on the IHS paid for student visa, or is there a refund?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 11:53am On Sep 17, 2022
Osoderi:

Thank u. �

But I want to ask f it is cheaper to convert dollar to sterling here in UK or should I leave it any time I go to Nigeria I convert it in Naira for home use.. kindly advice. Thank u

Difference isn't much. The main concern should be Foreign Exchange Risk. The rates keep swinging.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jagbasneh(m): 12:02pm On Sep 17, 2022
Good morning gurus, pls someone should enlighten me more on IHS reimbursement. How it's work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 12:52pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hello Ancestors on this forum.I hail you all Please I want to ask a question and it is an observation.I noticed that anytime a colleague of mine help with transportation he always wants to drop me at my doorstep.Dont get me wrong as I don't have any issues with that but recently myself and him travelled to a far distance to go and work and on our return I felt for him as we have been driving for almost two hours,so I asked him to drop me in a near by road that I can easily access my house so he too can go home to his family and rest but he still insisted on taking me to my doorstep.So this arouse my curiosity if it is wrong to drop people on the road in the UK or any other consideration for this culture shock.
Pls what do you think?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ukay2: 1:13pm On Sep 17, 2022
Pogracious:
Hello Ancestors on this forum.I hail you all Please I want to ask a question and it is an observation.I noticed that anytime a colleague of mine help with transportation he always wants to drop me at my doorstep.Dont get me wrong as I don't have any issues with that but recently myself and him travelled to a far distance to go and work and on our return I felt for him as we have been driving for almost two hours,so I asked him to drop me in a near by road that I can easily access my house so he too can go home to his family and rest but he still insisted on taking me to my doorstep.So this arouse my curiosity if it is wrong to drop people on the road in the UK or any other consideration for this culture shock.
Pls what do you think?

no reasons....just nice

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 1:36pm On Sep 17, 2022
jagbasneh:
Good morning gurus, pls someone should enlighten me more on IHS reimbursement. How it's work.

Here you go

https://www.gov.uk/apply-immigration-health-surcharge-refund

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 1:37pm On Sep 17, 2022
Pogracious:
Pls what do you think?

This is not uncommon...God forbid if he drops you far from your house and anything happens to you he is the last person to see you and will have a lot of explanation to do

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 2:45pm On Sep 17, 2022
Great people ...I hail wink

Please does anyone know if I can use a valid US visa in lieu of transit visa on a flight going through schengen area to the UK?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 4:08pm On Sep 17, 2022
Pogracious:
Pls what do you think?

It's called safeguarding. That's the culture when someone offers to give you a lift most times they take you right to your doorstep especially for your own safety and his own as well. That's why most folks don't want to do it, not that they are not nice but it's seen as an extra responsibility on their own part which they may not be too ready to do.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 4:10pm On Sep 17, 2022
Solumtoya:

Difference isn't much. The main concern should be Foreign Exchange Risk. The rates keep swinging.

Thank u. so best to withdraw it in pounds here with my dollar card.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Igbamatigbi: 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2022
I am doing a 2 years course, does this mean I have to ask for the reimbursement every six months for 2 years?
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by bigtt76(f): 4:50pm On Sep 17, 2022
Mostly for people who came into the UK on Health Care skilled work visa and worked in care homes for at least 16hours or more per week

jagbasneh:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LaXxOnebody(m): 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2022
I'd like to connect with you Sir. I'm sure I can gain from your Newcastle experience. @June232022
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by obitryce(m): 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2022
Still in need of £. @ mamatukwas and co. I need £1k at a good rate thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 6:07pm On Sep 17, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Someone she knows need to head to nearest dhl and send it by courier. That the surest way

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2022
Evening all,
I want to send a fragile package to and fro a city to another (98 miles to n fro)
Weight 29kg
Height 83 cm
Length 83 cm
Width 142cm

Most parcel delivery coys I ve seen online are saying package too large and out of range of their service,
Does anyone know others that handle large packages and good to use in terms of cost and proper handling?

NOTE : man n van is too expensive
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by deept(m): 6:56pm On Sep 17, 2022
AlphaUno:
Evening all,
I want to send a fragile package to and fro a city to another (98 miles to n fro)
Weight 29kg
Height 83 cm
Length 83 cm
Width 142cm

Most parcel delivery coys I ve seen online are saying package too large and out of range of their service,
Does anyone know others that handle large packages and good to use in terms of cost and proper handling?

NOTE : man n van is too expensive

Rent a van and drive to and fro

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by rowon(m): 6:58pm On Sep 17, 2022
Thanks
AlphaUno:

If you can network extensively - church, work, your 9ja contacts in Glasgow etc try

- word of mouth, as it can help sometimes
- go local and visit local agents’ offices in areas where you desire to rent
- with your contact ask if anyone has a room or two (shared flat) to rent in a 2 or 3 bed - this is a temporary measure to save cost on the Airbnb for now.

Ire o

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:17pm On Sep 17, 2022
[quote author=justwise post=116758398][/quote]

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by allysontaiwo: 7:22pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hello everyone I am exhausted. Arrived this UK 2weeks ago and yet to get accommodation . No credit score,No employment history,then just pack all of us for student status quo. Left the Airbnb today to the hotel at Travelodge . Who can help me
All this landlords aren’t smiling
We propose 6months dem no gree
All asking to Sign a year contract with a full pay at £1200-£1400�
I am at Gate House, Fretherne Rd, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6RD
Travelodge Welwyn Garden City
If I see 2bedroom now am ready to pay 6M upfront
I need all the help I can get
Am studying at University of Hertsfordshire (MSc

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Pogracious: 7:41pm On Sep 17, 2022
allysontaiwo:
Hello everyone I am exhausted. Arrived this UK 2weeks ago and yet to get accommodation . No credit score,No employment history,then just pack all of us for student status quo. Left the Airbnb today to the hotel at Travelodge . Who can help me

That area you are ie Hatfield is too expensive for student I must say cos I finished from UH.Look for accommodation in luton.browse letting agent contact such as leaders ,haart etc and offer max 6mth rent in advance if they want those credit history etc.Your main applicant should try and secure a job asap as this will help secure accommodation.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 8:57pm On Sep 17, 2022
deept:

Rent a van and drive to and fro

Hmmmm….valid sense, will check a rental firm out. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:00pm On Sep 17, 2022
allysontaiwo:

A year rent upfront ?
This is new!
And they are taking people for granted because demand outstrip supply.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Solumtoya: 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2022
AlphaUno:

A year rent upfront ?
This is new!
And they are taking people for granted because demand outstrip supply.

I don't think he means a year upfront. He seems to be referring to the contract not upfront payment. His major concern may be the price of £1,200 to £1,400.

(1) (2) (3) ... (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) ... (1007)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.