Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183744 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzonma: 1:14pm On Sep 16, 2022
Please those that have gotten their IHS Refund how long did it take for the money to be credited after the success email on the application?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 1:44pm On Sep 16, 2022
Has anyone rented a flat above a shop before. ..ie a restaurant. Care to share your experience...

I am seeing one for some friends relocating from naija. The rental price is less but I am sure there would be a catch living above a shop

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by giselle237: 1:53pm On Sep 16, 2022
Santa2:

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered..@semmyk that for this robust reply. The issue I personally have is that in the event he is given the visa, after his master degree if he decides to stay back and work with psw, getting a job here would be next to impossible. I was just looking to see if one know someone that have navigated through the system with similar background, Thanks a lot for all you feedback.
the koko is the crime committed plus or minus the sentence length … that’s the deciding factor to rule him out of jobs. For example, healthcare industry wont take some crimes even if time past as patients are already classified as vulnerable people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 2:33pm On Sep 16, 2022
Uzonma:
Please those that have gotten their IHS Refund how long did it take for the money to be credited after the success email on the application?

Thanks

Co - Ask
Looking to apply in Nov if everything goes to plan
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 2:52pm On Sep 16, 2022
Uzonma:

Thanks

For me, 48hrs. Cos it was approved on a weekend

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:08pm On Sep 16, 2022
CheesyTee:

For me, 48hrs. Cos it was approved on a weekend

How much was refunded and how long did the entire process take?
Cos Someone said he/she got about $500 or so
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 3:42pm On Sep 16, 2022
hustla:

How much was refunded and how long did the entire process take?
Cos Someone said he/she got about $500 or so

I applied for 6 months reimbursement. Got $313.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 3:51pm On Sep 16, 2022
CheesyTee:

I applied for 6 months reimbursement. Got $313.

Is it possible to get more than that?
I'd like $1K+ if possible grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 4:03pm On Sep 16, 2022
hustla:

Is it possible to get more than that?
I'd like $1K+ if possible grin

You can only apply for 6 months reimbursement at a time. Since the IHS fee is dependent on the length of your visa, you can't get more than the initial amount paid.

Also, once you switch to another visa, you will not be able to claim old IHS fee. Unless of course if you paid IHS on new visa and have worked 6 months in healthcare with the visa

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:45pm On Sep 16, 2022
CheesyTee:

You can only apply for 6 months reimbursement at a time
. Since the IHS fee is dependent on the length of your visa, you can't get more than the initial amount paid.

Also, once you switch to another visa, you will not be able to claim old IHS fee. Unless of course if you paid IHS on new visa and has worked 6 months in healthcare with the visa

Mehn this people just wise anyhow

Means I can get more than $400 or so per time smh

Thanks for the clarification!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by aragbaboy: 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2022
Osoderi:
IHS Reimbursement

Wow! this was very fast. They said 6weeks to get it.. I just received $450 in my dollar account for my IHS Reimbursement. I applied on the 11th of Sept and received it today , please how can I get the money..I used Gtb dollar account to make the iHS payment, I have the master card here. Kindly advice..Thank you

Nice one, congratulations. I just applied yesterday for mine. The issue am having is that I want them to make the payment to my account here in the UK. The dollar account I used in Nigeria is not active at the moment and I don't have the strength to activate account and getting a card from Nigeria. Anyone who has successfully received payment in another account should guide me through.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:17pm On Sep 16, 2022
aragbaboy:

Nice one, congratulations. I just applied yesterday for mine. The issue am having is that I want them to make the payment to my account here in the UK. The dollar account I used in Nigeria is not active at the moment and I don't have the strength to activate account and getting a card from Nigeria. Anyone who has successfully received payment in another account should guide me through.

Such a thing will always be sent to the originating account or card since its a refund

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by kode12: 7:42pm On Sep 16, 2022
LagosismyHome:
Has anyone rented a flat above a shop before. ..ie a restaurant. Care to share your experience...

I am seeing one for some friends relocating from naija. The rental price is less but I am sure there would be a catch living above a shop

Just don't. DON'T
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by tshoboy(m): 7:49pm On Sep 16, 2022
Ayowolebami:

Thanks so much and thanks to everyone who contributed. I found the city council email addy in charge of early years very early this morning and sent a mail.

I got the attached as response which settles my worry at this point.
Seems you have removed the attachment. What did they say?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Timitempah: 8:12pm On Sep 16, 2022
CheesyTee:

You can only apply for 6 months reimbursement at a time. Since the IHS fee is dependent on the length of your visa, you can't get more than the initial amount paid.

Also, once you switch to another visa, you will not be able to claim old IHS fee. Unless of course if you paid IHS on new visa and have worked 6 months in healthcare with the visa

Hi, wanted to ask please, How long did it take to get the new brp for the health and care visa? And how much did it cost for priority service ? Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by leef2022: 8:36pm On Sep 16, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/7336582/uk-government-publishes-56-dead#116728455
UK Government Publishes 56 Dead Nigerians, Others With Unclaimed Estates, Assets

After years of mortgage payments, credit score chase..
Wonder how they totally cut off from their ancestors.. though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Mamatukwas: 8:43pm On Sep 16, 2022
obitryce:
@ mamatukwas and co. Please I'm in need of £5k at a good rate thanks!!

Pele just seeing this. You know it’s only Naira I have yes? That one is available. Hope you got the £ you need.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:59pm On Sep 16, 2022
Solumtoya:

£7,000 not £700. That's preposterous! What would I do: Sell the darn car!

Best to always get an insurance quote, before a damn car is bought........... grin

Unfortunately, no ₦5K third party insurance for UK ....... wink

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by lightnlife: 9:26pm On Sep 16, 2022
This man no go kee person for NL. grin

That 5k third party insurance na pocket/life saver for Naija.

At this rate, it's best to get a UK licence than attempting to drive with a Naija licence.

Lexusgs430:

Best to always get an insurance quote, before a damn car is bought........... grin

Unfortunately, no ₦5K third party insurance for UK ....... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:00pm On Sep 16, 2022
kode12:

Just don't. DON'T

cheesy... please can you explain
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by CheesyTee(f): 10:08pm On Sep 16, 2022
hustla:

Mehn this people just wise anyhow

Means I can get more than $400 or so per time smh

Thanks for the clarification!

No o. You can only apply for reimbursement every six months as you will be required to upload 6 months payslip to evidence your claim.

I should add: you get refund for dependents too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Wakabouter: 12:24am On Sep 17, 2022
Thank you.
I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

1. If you use credit ladder, you will be able to report to your preferred credit platform for free. If you want to report to multiple you will need to pay for a subscription.
2. Too many banks will not affect your score. It's the credit activities like overdrafts that goes to your credit record.
3. There are two types of checks: soft and hard. Most platforms will let you know if it's a soft check or not before you proceed. The soft checks don't go into record and will not affect your score. Some bank apps like Lloyds will let you see your score directly from the app.
4. Use credit ladder for that. It will ask for authorization to read your bank statements and save the one with your rent reference

Osoderi:

Thank u for this beautiful write up
my questions
1. which credit company do u advice we use. I am using Credit karma which is free. but many lenders are using the experian to check your credit . I opened experian and it was told that 30days is free and every month we pay £14. so what do u advice in on the best credit company to use.
2. I was also told that opening too many bank accounts is not good for credit score. How true is this.
3. I also learnt that is not good to be checking your credit all the time, is this true or false
4. How can I add my house rent to my credit. I always tranfer the money to my landlord account but I write on the ref as rent payment.

Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 3:25am On Sep 17, 2022
lightnlife:
This man no go kee person for NL. grin

That 5k third party insurance na pocket/life saver for Naija.

At this rate, it's best to get a UK licence than attempting to drive with a Naija licence.

Would you entrust your dog to an Ondo/Calabar person or a vet ........... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:30am On Sep 17, 2022
aragbaboy:

Thank u.

The can only pay it back into the account u use to pay y IHS. not possible for them to transfer it to any account.

you can contact your account manager in Nigeria and get their advice. Others house members can still give you their suggestions.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:32am On Sep 17, 2022
Preshyi:
Is the refund rate different? I got 377USD

What visa type did u apply for?

I applied for spouse and paid $2700
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:39am On Sep 17, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

ATM of course.
The conversion into sterling will be done at whatever rate the bank deems fit, plus a conversion fee, so basically, you'll have to take whatever you get.

Thank u. �

But I want to ask f it is cheaper to convert dollar to sterling here in UK or should I leave it any time I go to Nigeria I convert it in Naira for home use.. kindly advice. Thank u
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:42am On Sep 17, 2022
Uzonma:

Thanks

I applied on the 11th of this month got the credit on 15th of this month.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 5:55am On Sep 17, 2022
Wakabouter:
Thank you.
I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Many thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:57am On Sep 17, 2022
CheesyTee:

No o. You can only apply for reimbursement every six months as you will be required to upload 6 months payslip to evidence your claim.

I should add: you get refund for dependents too.

What if I don't do care / support again after the initial 6 months?
Or I can continue to use the same 6 months payslip to continue to apply

For the dependent, do they also have to work in the care sector too?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 7:59am On Sep 17, 2022
Osoderi:

Thank u. �

But I want to ask f it is cheaper to convert dollar to sterling here in UK or should I leave it any time I go to Nigeria I convert it in Naira for home use.. kindly advice. Thank u

Option 2 is better.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Osoderi(m): 8:51am On Sep 17, 2022
hustla:

What if I don't do care / support again after the initial 6 months?
Or I can continue to use the same 6 months payslip to continue to apply

For the dependent, do they also have to work in the care sector too?

Once u are not in health care sector u can not claim it.

Not possible again for you to use the same six months, they have all your previous payslips u have used. Be careful bf they cancel your visa.

Once u are working in health care sector all y dependants will claim the money even if y wife/hubby is not working in health care.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AlphaUno: 9:10am On Sep 17, 2022
Bsharp:
Hi guys. Please is anyone here traveling or knows someone traveling to Naija between today and Saturday. A friend forgot her BRP and travelled down to Nigeria. Now she's unable to fly back to the UK.

Ah! How person go forget BRP?

Sorry for shouting, the Lupe market scenarios in my subconscious came out impulsively
shocked

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.