Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (672) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1183107 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) (675) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 20, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The thing is Indians are using trade deals and other ways to flood UK disproportionately more than other nations. In 2020 they had the highest number of overstayers yet they are giving deals to make them stay more

If Nigerians had that much over stayers they will be noise everywhere. How come even with right to work / right to rent they still have such a high number disappearing into the system

So me I like her that she put her eye on why are Indians flooding her so much and she has planted that seed . However yes that means she truly forgot where and how she came here. Immigrant

Legal immigrant, and a naturalised brit, whose priority is the interests of the British people.

Also on the difference in approach to Indians and Nigerians, it's just about leverage. Their country has the financial leverage to muscle deals that allow more of their people in so they can send more remittances home. We don't. Our own leaders are focused on stealing and pissing money away with idiotic policies so when they go for trade negotiations they have their hands out for scraps rather than being able to negotiate effectively. Not racism, just realpolitik.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:06am On Oct 20, 2022
Ticha:

Have you seen the cost of living in Australia and where it is located? There has to be a reason for people to go there. Money is an excellent reason!

I understand all you have said and cant seem to wrap my head around Canadian tax system of federal and provincial ones

For Australia however, in comparison, do you think you would have been able to easily scale up to well paying jobs like in the UK?

I can deduce from what you have written that high salaries is a way to attract people to Australia, which is also the major draw for me in addition to the weather.
I do remember you saying one time (Im im not mistaken) that you were able to get x2 of your salary in New Zealand or Australia. Also, have you been able to save more as compared to the UK on those high salaries or it all goes back into daily living?

Does Australia benefit from being close to Asia which is where a lot of countries import from? (Prices of clothes, food etc) Looked it up and found out that China is AU's biggest trade partner

I kind of want to stay near home for retirement like you have said, which is the biggest thought in my head but its nearly impossible to eat one's cake and have it.

Something has to give unless I can find a way to move Australia to Europe grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 10:07am On Oct 20, 2022
japhethGold:
Income tax is the UK is over 60% for high income earners so even if they pay you high wages, the government will collect most of the money as tax and leave you just ok.

On the contrary, company tax is very low at 19% so it pays companies to not give their money to employees as the government would collect most of it.

shocked Which UK? Top rate is 45%

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:08am On Oct 20, 2022
Goke7:

Thanks for saying it all. @hustla I told you earlier that most folks don't tell you the entire story but here is a credible one. And it's same with all I've heard from different folks with same experience

cheesy

I am guessing you did not see the parts below -

There has to be a reason for people to go there. Money is an excellent reason!

Luckily, we were in a position to change jobs and quickly scale up.

But Australia and by extension NZ is a land of opportunities in terms of small businesses and risk taking. All sectors pay well. Very well because that is the biggest drawcard. People then stay for the lifestyle.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 10:09am On Oct 20, 2022
japhethGold:
Income tax is the UK is over 60% for high income earners so even if they pay you high wages, the government will collect most of the money as tax and leave you just ok.

On the contrary, company tax is very low at 19% so it pays companies to not give their money to employees as the government would collect most of it.

I doubt its 60% for high income earners, maybe 40 - 45% max
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mumzt: 10:17am On Oct 20, 2022
Good morning everyone, apologies for derailing.

Please does anyone know if the big difference water discount offered by severn trent is public fund? I've searched and searched but can't seem to get anything on it. The customer care team also doesn't seem to know anything about it. Please help if you can.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by boneruns(m): 10:50am On Oct 20, 2022
Dear Elders here,

Please I need your advice.

I recently came into the UK on postgraduate student visa. Last week I updated my LinkedIn profile to show my current location in the UK. I have received about 5 job opportunities from recruiters on LinkedIn. Same last week I told two of the recruiters that I'm a postgraduate student on tier 4 visa and I'm only permitted to work 20 hours per week on term time. But they said they needed someone who will do full-time. One even told me I should respond if I'm willing to do full-time but I'm yet to respond. I don't want to default on the visa terms.

This week I have three recruiters with very interesting job opportunities I'm yet to inform about my visa status because of the fear they will forget about the recruitment based on my visa status. One of the recruiters based in London told me about 99% remote work.

Please is there anything I could do to not default on my visa status while I work for any of these companies? I'm new in UK and I don't know how to handle this situation, so that I can grab this opportunity.

Please I need your advice and input.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by NevaUgivup: 11:00am On Oct 20, 2022
boneruns:

Please is there anything I could do to not default on my visa status while I work for any of these companies? I'm new in UK and I don't know how to handle this situation, so that I can grab this opportunity.

The most important thing is to stick to the terms of your visa.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 11:01am On Oct 20, 2022
Stenvee:

Nigerians talk fast? cheesy
To me o, I think it is the oyibos that rap when they talk grin

Maybe..but when you are communicating with someone who is not familiar with your accent it is advisable to slow down.

So as a Nigerian working in an environment where the majority have British accents, it is the one with the Nigerian accent who needs to slow it down so that their English is understood.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Gemma11: 11:08am On Oct 20, 2022
japhethGold:

The highest is 45% and it is tiered like this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzomarrr12345: 11:30am On Oct 20, 2022
Seriously, let’s just pray Nigeria gets good leadership and get the country working again !!!

No place like home !

90% of Nigerians wanting to do masters all of a sudden is just to escape , not genuine intentions of studying. !

A 40 year old man was giving testimony in church last Sunday of getting a UK student visa .
sad
It is well .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by jum33: 11:44am On Oct 20, 2022
boneruns:
Dear Elders here,

I recently came into the UK on postgraduate student visa. Last week I updated my LinkedIn profile to show my current location in the UK. I have received about 5 job opportunities from recruiters on LinkedIn. Same last week I told two of the recruiters that I'm a postgraduate student on tier 4 visa and I'm only permitted to work 20 hours per week on term time. But they said they needed someone who will do full-time. One even told me I should respond if I'm willing to do full-time but I'm yet to respond. I don't want to default on the visa terms.

You can't default on visa terms but it easy to negotiate with your employer on work terms that will suit you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 11:44am On Oct 20, 2022
koonbey:

The system is being overloaded on various fronts - healthcare and housing are the most obvious ones.

It's not just about money either, because even with more immigrants with more money, limited infrastructure will not magically appear, and things like house rent will continue to shoot up because of higher demand and bidding wars.

So there are legitimate reasons for brits to be concerned - it's not about racism. Also, people want to protect their cultures and the makeup of their countries, and that's not racist either.

No Nigerian would be happy to return to their hometown and find that the majority of people there are foreigners whom they don't recognise, or from other countries entirely even, and speaking an entirely different language with different cultural practices. Even inside the country there's so much animosity against people of other ethnic groups who move to or through communities dominated by other ethnicities but we somehow go outside and act shocked when we see others expressing similar concern.

We must admit the way people are approaching the dependents thing is absurd, including sham marriages and all. Just look at that chart and see - that's clearly abnormal.

They were not forced to open the borders as they were the ones complaining about shortage of workers and international students. Its up to them to close the borders but unfair to open up and start screaming all over the place. There is need to be decisive and set a standardised immigration system once and for all. If folks are cheating the system then put checks in place to reduce fraud This Robin Hood style of opening up to collect people's money and complain to push them out again will only continue to cast the country in a bad light of being hostile to foreigners

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 20, 2022
Goke7:

They were not forced to open the borders as they were the ones complaining about shortage of workers and international students. Its up to them to close the borders but unfair to open up and start screaming all over the place. There is need to be decisive and set a standardised immigration system once and for all. If folks are cheating the system then put checks in place to reduce fraud This Robin Hood style of opening up to collect people's money and complain to push them out again will only continue to cast the country in a bad light of being hostile to foreigners

What's 'screaming all over the place'? They have raised concerns and said they are looking into it. What's the screaming in that and isn't that a perfectly reasonable response?

What's Robin Hood about what they're doing? What have they announced? Do you know what checks they plan to put in - or are you just speculating?

It's until they implement it and then make it retroactive to disadvantage people who have already paid that you can call them that - so far there's no basis for it.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 11:48am On Oct 20, 2022
hustla:

cheesy

I am guessing you did not see the parts below -

There has to be a reason for people to go there. Money is an excellent reason!

Luckily, we were in a position to change jobs and quickly scale up.

But Australia and by extension NZ is a land of opportunities in terms of small businesses and risk taking. All sectors pay well. Very well because that is the biggest drawcard. People then stay for the lifestyle.

Do you read her entire story?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 11:50am On Oct 20, 2022
koonbey:

What's 'screaming all over the place'? They have raised concerns and said they are looking into it. What's the screaming in that and isn't that a perfectly reasonable response?

What's Robin Hood about what they're doing? What have they announced? Do you know what checks they plan to put in - or are you just speculating?

It's until they implement it and then make it retroactive to disadvantage people who have already paid that you can call them that - so far there's no basis for it.
There are antecedents and am not trying to be politically correct

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 20, 2022
boneruns:
Dear Elders here,

This week I have three recruiters with very interesting job opportunities I'm yet to inform about my visa status because of the fear they will forget about the recruitment based on my visa status. One of the recruiters based in London told me about 99% remote work.

Being new to the UK isn't relevant here. You know what the rule is and it's written on your visa and BRP so you can't forget 'by mistake.'

You can't work full time. End of story.

Negotiate with those recruiters or find another job that allows you to work part time.

I doubt those recruiters know what they're doing even because the companies will certainly do right to work checks at the contract stage and they won't proceed.

But assuming they are pushing ahead regardless, you'd best not allow them 'use your head'. The recruiter wants to get commission ASAP and you're just a means to that. If they onboard you and you work full time, it's you who'll bear the brunt down the line.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:59am On Oct 20, 2022
Goke7:

Do you read her entire story?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by boneruns(m): 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2022
jum33:

You can't default on visa terms but it easy to negotiate with your employer on work terms that will suit you.

Thank you.

I'll just let them know my current status states that I can only work 20 hours per week.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2022
Uzomarrr12345:
Seriously, let’s just pray Nigeria gets good leadership and get the country working again !!!

No place like home !

90% of Nigerians wanting to do masters all of a sudden is just to escape , not genuine intentions of studying. !

A 40 year old man was giving testimony in church last Sunday of getting a UK student visa .
sad
It is well .

Do you believe that screenshot?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by boneruns(m): 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2022
koonbey:

Being new to the UK isn't relevant here. You know what the rule is and it's written on your visa and BRP so you can't forget 'by mistake.'

You can't work full time. End of story.

Negotiate with those recruiters or find another job that allows you to work part time.

I doubt those recruiters know what they're doing even because the companies will certainly do right to work checks at the contract stage and they won't proceed.

But assuming they are pushing ahead regardless, you'd best not allow them 'use your head'. The recruiter wants to get commission ASAP and you're just a means to that. If they onboard you and you work full time, it's you who'll bear the brunt down the line.

Thank you.

I'll just let them know my current status states that I can only work 20 hours per week.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by boneruns(m): 12:30pm On Oct 20, 2022
NevaUgivup:
The most important thing is to stick to the terms of your visa.

Thank you so much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:39pm On Oct 20, 2022
Tinyemeka:

Hi ya.

I'd spent years doing retail banking in Nigeria. Landed in the UK recently (not study visa) but want to make a career switch to Project Management (still a beginner and currently studying for PRINCE2 Foundation).

Have been applying to Admin roles to get a foot in the door. Have done two interviews so far and they're telling me I did well (currently awaiting their official feedback) but I'm not finding it funny (maybe it's the JJC in me). People have been saying you should not be bothered about your accent, as long as you speak clearly (which I've been doing so far) but I fear that it might be a drag actually and picking up the British accent has been a hassle to me.

Any pointers with regards to the PM career pursuit?

Sorry I just felt to rant. I dey find morale booster. undecided

There's nothing as horrible as listening to a newly-arrived Nigerian putting on a fake accent. It's excruciating to hear. Please don't do that to yourself and the general public.

Regarding speaking, aim to speak like the broadcasters on NTA. Modulate your voice and enunciate clearly. That's what I do. Your accent is
there and will always remain there, and it's nothing to be ashamed of or to worry about.

P.S. When I speak of broadcasters, I'm referring to those who people of my generation who used to watch NTA would be familiar with. Be sure to avoid speaking like those strange radio DJs on Cool or Classic FM in Lagos who try to form strange hybrid accents which are neither fish nor fowl.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:41pm On Oct 20, 2022
koonbey:

Legal immigrant, and a naturalised brit, whose priority is the interests of the British people.

Also on the difference in approach to Indians and Nigerians, it's just about leverage. Their country has the financial leverage to muscle deals that allow more of their people in so they can send more remittances home. We don't. Our own leaders are focused on stealing and pissing money away with idiotic policies so when they go for trade negotiations they have their hands out for scraps rather than being able to negotiate effectively. Not racism, just realpolitik.

Suella Braverman's actually not an immigrant.
Her parents were immigrants. She isn't.
Nor is she a naturalised citizen. She's native born, i.e. she was born a British citizen.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 12:58pm On Oct 20, 2022
boneruns:
Dear Elders here,

While you can't work full time, during term time, on a student visa you can explore sponsorship opportunities with these recruiters. If they badly need your skills, they may offer you one.
Be careful though as being contacted by a recruiter does not mean you are close to being offered the job. Some recruiters are just out there to have a feel or the market.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by blank(f): 12:59pm On Oct 20, 2022
Gemma11:

The highest is 45% and it is tiered like this.

You know that the tax on the higher bands is on incremental income and not the entire income? For example, if you earn 120k, income below 50k is taxed at 20%, income from 51k is taxed at 40%. It would be better to talk about the effective tax rate which is more like the average of the rates for your income band as that is closer to reality.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by boneruns(m): 1:07pm On Oct 20, 2022
dustydee:

While you can't work full time, during term time, on a student visa you can explore sponsorship opportunities with these recruiters. If they badly need your skills, they may offer you one.
Be careful though as being contacted by a recruiter does not mean you are close to being offered the job. Some recruiters are just out there to have a feel or the market.

Thank you Dustydee.

Please how do I go about telling the employer about this sponsorship route? I am being careful that's why I let them know I have work hour restriction so that they can explore the sponsorship option .

The good thing is that my class timetable is flexible and even the the days I have class, it mostly happen around 4pm.

Thank you for the feedback.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:09pm On Oct 20, 2022
LagosismyHome:

The thing is Indians are using trade deals and other ways to flood UK disproportionately more than other nations. In 2020 they had the highest number of overstayers yet they are giving deals to make them stay more

If Nigerians had that much over stayers they will be noise everywhere. How come even with right to work / right to rent they still have such a high number disappearing into the system

So me I like her that she put her eye on why are Indians flooding her so much and she has planted that seed . However yes that means she truly forgot where and how she came here. Immigrant
My bone of contention is her focus on Africans (Nigerians) and the fact that we are bringing in a high number of dependants, which in a way disregards the monetary value we are bringing in. However, like Koobey said, there’s the overdoing it part by Nigerians; especially with the high level of marriage fraud. Anyway, I’m glad she’s gone, so the noise about immigrants can lessen even if it’s just for a short while because these are the things that unconsciously promote Xenophobia even if it’s not intentional. Make we wey just come here relax small and find suitable jobs.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Uzomarrr12345: 1:15pm On Oct 20, 2022
justwise:

Do you believe that screenshot?
That quote is saying , majority of dia home citizens don’t really further dia schooling after getting Bsc !

A lady once said something in one interview, the university she attended, she said “about 50% of the masters students were Nigerians , then inside the remaining 50% self , about 30% were from other nationals like Uganda , Kenya , India , Pakistan etc …”

Just around 20% were actually British citizens doing dia masters … majority were from different nationals !

When did Nigerians suddenly love schooling this much grin

How come we are not seeing them wanting to do masters in prestigious Universities like Babcock or even convenant university… lol

We all know 90% don’t have genuine intentions about studying … it just all about the escape !

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 1:23pm On Oct 20, 2022
Uzomarrr12345:

That quote is saying , majority of dia home citizens don’t really further dia schooling after getting Bsc !

A lady once said something in one interview, the university she attended, she said “about 50% of the masters students were Nigerians , then inside the remaining 50% self , about 30% were from other nationals like Uganda , Kenya , India , Pakistan etc …”

Just around 20% were actually British citizens doing dia masters … majority were from different nationals !

When did Nigerians suddenly love schooling this much grin

How come we are not seeing them wanting to do masters in prestigious Universities like Babcock or even convenant university… lol

We all know 90% don’t have genuine intentions about studying … it just all about the escape !

That is not what the screenshot said
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2022
Uzomarrr12345:

No place like home !

sad
It is well .
What’s wrong with being 40 and trying to get a Master’s degree?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:27pm On Oct 20, 2022
Goke7:

Exactly!

(1) (2) (3) ... (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) (675) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.